Ponca Hills

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Ponca Hills

Post by choke »

Anyone know what is being built on the northeast section of highway 75 and I-680? That land sat for decades and all of a sudden they are doing dirt work like crazy. Looks like it could be a truck stop but making a left turn back to the interstate isn't easy. Although, there is a lot of semi traffic going north on highway 75.
Brad
City Council

Re: Ponca Hills

Post by Brad »

Parcel ID #: 0238360009
GREEN SHOE INVESTMENTS LLC
1006 S SADDLE CREEK RD
OMAHA NE 68106

May be Forest Green Lawn Care since their current address is "1006 S SADDLE CREEK RD"
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm so glad something -- whatever it is -- is being built there. That side of Omaha, and especially that stretch of I-680 east of 72nd Street, butted up against the wild, woodsy, brambly Ponca Hills North north of Omaha, never seems to change. Seriously, I bet it will look about the same 20 years from now. It looks about the same now then it did 20 years ago.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm so glad something -- whatever it is -- is being built there. That side of Omaha, and especially that stretch of I-680 east of 72nd Street, butted up against the wild, woodsy, brambly Ponca Hills North north of Omaha, never seems to change. Seriously, I bet it will look about the same 20 years from now. It looks about the same now then it did 20 years ago.
The way Ponca and Northern Hills still are now, and have been for so long, is EXACTLY what makes the area so unique and appealing to the people who live there now. I for one hope the area east of 96th & north of HWY 36 never becomes "suburbanized" like West O, Millard, Papillion, LaVista, Lake Cunningham Hills, etc. That would be a shame. Whatever eventually happens around Lonergan Lake will set the tone for the areas west to 96th. Most acreage owners aren't likely to budge to make way for tract housing and strip malls. Again, schools will play a factor too.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I'm so glad something -- whatever it is -- is being built there. That side of Omaha, and especially that stretch of I-680 east of 72nd Street, butted up against the wild, woodsy, brambly Ponca Hills North north of Omaha, never seems to change. Seriously, I bet it will look about the same 20 years from now. It looks about the same now then it did 20 years ago.
The way Ponca and Northern Hills still are now, and have been for so long, is EXACTLY what makes the area so unique and appealing to the people who live there now. I for one hope the area east of 96th & north of HWY 36 never becomes "suburbanized" like West O, Millard, Papillion, LaVista, Lake Cunningham Hills, etc. That would be a shame. Whatever eventually happens around Lonergan Lake will set the tone for the areas west to 96th. Most acreage owners aren't likely to budge to make way for tract housing and strip malls. Again, schools will play a factor too.
I totally agree. For one, it is too hilly & forested & wild & brambly over there to ever become suburbanized like West Omaha. I grew up (partially) in that area. I still occasionally drive by our old house and appreciate a serene drive in the country around all the woodsy hills. It doesn't even look like "Omaha" up there. I don't want it to change that much. (I am happy about the expansion of large lot neighborhoods near Northern Hills & the North Omaha Airport, though. They have built a lot of new houses out there since we lived out there from '88 to 1996. There's also a tony gated community put into the forest. I love stuff like that, because Omaha doesn't have a lot of forested, rich neighborhoods). I do want everything from 72nd street on west to start developing, though. I'm so tired of that side of town hardly changing. It's partially because of no great freeway connection downtown, in my guess. Since hardly anything changes over there, I find myself thrilled at silly things, like the flattening of the large hill along I-680 (northeast of the Irvington exit) as more streets are plotted & Celebrity Homes constructed. (LOL...GetUrban...we always have these "little bites" at each other that result in great discussions about Omaha. Love it.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RockHarbor wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
I totally agree. For one, it is too hilly & forested & wild & brambly over there to ever become suburbanized like West Omaha. I grew up (partially) in that area. I still occasionally drive by our old house and appreciate a serene drive in the country around all the woodsy hills. It doesn't even look like "Omaha" up there. I don't want it to change that much. (I am happy about the expansion of large lot neighborhoods near Northern Hills & the North Omaha Airport, though. They have built a lot of new houses out there since we lived out there from '88 to 1996. There's also a tony gated community put into the forest. I love stuff like that, because Omaha doesn't have a lot of forested, rich neighborhoods). I do want everything from 72nd street on west to start developing, though. I'm so tired of that side of town hardly changing. It's partially because of no great freeway connection downtown, in my guess. Since hardly anything changes over there, I find myself thrilled at silly things, like the flattening of the large hill along I-680 (northeast of the Irvington exit) as more streets are plotted & Celebrity Homes constructed. (LOL...GetUrban...we always have these "little bites" at each other that result in great discussions about Omaha. Love it.)
I think its inevitable the area northwest of 72nd & HWY 36 will be developed eventually. I just hope the development isn't simply more of the same thing we see going in south of Cunningham in the former Winninghoff properties. It serves a purpose for those wanting inexpensive single family homes, but I'd rather see some newer ideas take hold, something that adopts a more New-Urbanist design. Here's a good article that gives you a better example of what I'm hoping for...http://www.terrain.org/2013/interviews/andres-duany/
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I agree. I don't like split-entry, smaller homes tightly surrounding the borders of damsite/lake like that either. I watched the first phase of those homes go in back around 1989-1994. I remember empty streets w/ the first batch of houses. That's when I learned about Celebrity Homes. The second phase was built when I lived away from Omaha. I agree that we need to "think outside the box" and come up with some great new developments. That website is neat. I do want Omaha to have a significant old style urban development somewhere.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Brad wrote:Parcel ID #: 0238360009
GREEN SHOE INVESTMENTS LLC
1006 S SADDLE CREEK RD
OMAHA NE 68106

May be Forest Green Lawn Care since their current address is "1006 S SADDLE CREEK RD"
This is going to be Robert's Nursery. He built a house in the area about 5 years ago. Looks like he is moving his nursery to be near his house. Or he is expanding.