Dundee Bank - Blackstone - McFosters (38th & Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Dundee Bank - Blackstone - McFosters (38th & Farnam)

Post by Coyote »

New Dundee Bank branch in Blackstone District will seek to preserve details of former McFoster's site
Cole Epley: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Architectural Offices will lead the renovation. Dundee Bank plans to open in mid-2016. Also purchased were three condemned residential properties directly west of the planned bank branch property. Those properties will be demolished.

--
Re: Dundee Bank - Blackstone - McFosters (38th & Farnam)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Curious what will happen to the land the houses sit on. Surface parking for the bank would be a disappointment with the momentum along Farnam.

Other than that this is another good investment. I did like how the article pointed out Premier and Security building branches in the area. Banks expanding and growing in East O when the trend is to disinvest in branch locations says a lot about the future of the area IMO.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So on top of the McFoster's building they have also acquired these properties.

This office building caddy corner for future expansion.

And these three homes will be torn down.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by daveoma »

I wonder what the bank will do with the land after they demolish those three buildings. Perhaps a new residential building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

daveoma wrote:I wonder what the bank will do with the land after they demolish those three buildings. Perhaps a new residential building?
I bet the bank uses it all. Between a drive thru window, parking for the branch and an extension on the back of the building(maybe) I think they will need all that land.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

15 total housing units to be demolished to make way for bank. Noted and removed from the map. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
A new bank will be a nice addition to the area, hopefully they will also make loans for home improvements in that neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

U R my Helix wrote:15 total housing units to be demolished to make way for bank. Noted and removed from the map. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
A new bank will be a nice addition to the area, hopefully they will also make loans for home improvements in that neighborhood.
I would have to read the article again, but, didn't it mention how much they have invested in the community already?
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Coyote, I did not intend anything negative about the bank, I think there are a lot of homes in the area that could use fix it funds, hopefully the bank has a community reinvestment program. The houses that were chopped up into apartments in that block had nothing special about them so far as I can tell.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dundee Bank has financed a lot of projects in Dundee and along Farnam. I think they had a hand in the Aksaben Place development as well. They will be great for the district.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Dundee Bank also offers a great renovation loan option. If you want to purchase an old house but it needs a lot of work (as most of them do) and you don't have the cash for all the work, you can lump the construction costs into your mortgage (as long as you don't go over the projected resale value). It's similar to the 203K program offered by the FHA, but a lot less cumbersome. It definitely makes rehab costs more manageable.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:New Dundee Bank branch in Blackstone District will seek to preserve details of former McFoster's site
Cole Epley: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Architectural Offices will lead the renovation. Dundee Bank plans to open in mid-2016. Also purchased were three condemned residential properties directly west of the planned bank branch property. Those properties will be demolished.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This really is the perfect use for this structure. It's going to look so natural as a bank branch, I doubt those who don't know the history will have any idea it used to be a service station.

I do hope they make efficient use of the space the houses are on. It's probably just going to be parking, though, and with all the infill on existing surface parking down the street, it's not worth feeling sad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The drive thru windows will be where the houses are now. Not sure if they will have anymore lanes than the one in Dundee.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:New Dundee Bank branch in Blackstone District will seek to preserve details of former McFoster's site
The properties adjacent to McFosters were combined with it in a replat. So the name will live forever.
McFosters-38074328.jpg
McFosters-38074328.jpg (152.86 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That's pretty cool. How long was McFosters there anyway?

I still have some unused restaurants.com coupons for McFosters. Think they'll be worth anything at the bank? :;):
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'd ask any of my friends that once worked there but they're to high to know what a McFosters is.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure if they are reclaiming some of the materials from the homes they are tearing down behind the Dundee Bank location. They seem to be demoing awfully delicately.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dundee Bank

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I got to see the inside of the New Dundee Bank (old McFoster's Cafe) The place turned out really cool. There is a cool mix of new and old. There are plenty of the original floor and tile walls is some areas. One really cool thing I saw was that the "desk drawers" behind the tellers were actually craftsman tool boxes!

Was McFoster's Cafe two stories? I never went to McFoster's Cafe, but the new bank is two stories. The stairs looked and felt old, but I don't know if they were re-claimed or original. Upstairs is just office space, I am assuming the public will never go up there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yes the restaurant was two floors but they only used it sparingly for things like Occupy meetings, art fairs and music..

And where are the pictures Brad!
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:And where are the pictures Brad!
They were for a client. I will see if I can post one after they view them.
nmalone
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nmalone »

Here are some finished photos of the bank.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheArchitec ... 9377665144

and an article from Retrofit Magazine
https://www.retrofitmagazine.com/rehab- ... -district/