Abbott Drive Development - Omaha

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Abbott Drive Development - Omaha

Post by Coyote »

With a new Perkins going in across the street, this property also just hit the market for just under $1.4M. I have to wonder how many hotel rooms are adequate for this area as opposed to restaurants. If you were flying in or out of Omaha and staying overnight near Eppley, what amenities are lacking that this property could provide?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (123.37 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Re: Abbott Drive Development - Omaha

Post by Athomsfere »

Part of me thinks good food and a slightly better hotel. I mean if I want something super close for sleeping and barely edible food this works...

But Downtown being 5 minutes away, it's sort of hard to justify anything more better. Locals probably wouldn't go towards Carter Lake / Eppley if they didn't have to, and the most desperate stop over travelers probably won't really be worried about a better meal / hotel if they don't have business in Omaha.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

As most travelers rely on shuttles and such, it seems a fast food restaurant with a quick delivery would help. JJ's, picklemans,etc
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I suppose this can go here. There is a request for rezoning for a property owned by Frank Krejci located at 5906 Abbott Drive. There is a plan for a 150k square foot warehouse building with potential 30 docking bays! There are some renderings and it's still early; they intend to request TIF.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... uly/19.pdf
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

ita wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:32 pm I suppose this can go here. There is a request for rezoning for a property owned by Frank Krejci located at 5906 Abbott Drive. There is a plan for a 150k square foot warehouse building with potential 30 docking bays! There are some renderings and it's still early; they intend to request TIF.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... uly/19.pdf
Wow. 30 bays would seem to be enormous turnover or high volume?
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

TIF for a warehouse? Is a warehouse actually expected to de-blight an area?
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:03 am TIF for a warehouse? Is a warehouse actually expected to de-blight an area?
TIF definitely is out of control
Back Home in Omaha!
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

jjjjhskr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:04 am
Athomsfere wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:03 am TIF for a warehouse? Is a warehouse actually expected to de-blight an area?
A lot of people say that, when I think it's justified. But for a warehouse?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am
Yeah this a blatant abuse of the program...
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:20 am
Athomsfere wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am
Yeah this a blatant abuse of the program...
I am mixed on this one. I get what you all are saying, but this is an industrial area that happens to be TIF qualified. I would rather have an industrial warehouse built here using TIF funds than another large warehouse built out by like Steel Ridge or whatever it's called. I like that this location will create jobs that are easier to access for folks living in urban Omaha, particularly North Omaha. When was the last project built for this industrial center? I would guess it's been a while.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:52 am I am mixed on this one. I get what you all are saying, but this is an industrial area that happens to be TIF qualified. I would rather have an industrial warehouse built here using TIF funds than another large warehouse built out by like Steel Ridge or whatever it's called. I like that this location will create jobs that are easier to access for folks living in urban Omaha, particularly North Omaha. When was the last project built for this industrial center? I would guess it's been a while.
And while all fair points. I feel like there are better options all around. It's the front door of Omaha for millions of visitors.

Does Abbot Drive really want semi-trucks clogging the drive? (Unless it clogs it completely and it helps get us Light Rail!)

A warehouse is sort of it's own blight.

It feels like there are better options around the metro that aren't in such a prime location (Across the river, slightly more north).

Add all of these items together, and still ask for TIF? Will a warehouse or industrial site benefit Omaha enough here vs the other locations?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 am
ita wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:52 am I am mixed on this one. I get what you all are saying, but this is an industrial area that happens to be TIF qualified. I would rather have an industrial warehouse built here using TIF funds than another large warehouse built out by like Steel Ridge or whatever it's called. I like that this location will create jobs that are easier to access for folks living in urban Omaha, particularly North Omaha. When was the last project built for this industrial center? I would guess it's been a while.
And while all fair points. I feel like there are better options all around. It's the front door of Omaha for millions of visitors.

Does Abbot Drive really want semi-trucks clogging the drive? (Unless it clogs it completely and it helps get us Light Rail!)

A warehouse is sort of it's own blight.

It feels like there are better options around the metro that aren't in such a prime location (Across the river, slightly more north).

Add all of these items together, and still ask for TIF? Will a warehouse or industrial site benefit Omaha enough here vs the other locations?
There was a question on the last call in show on Grow Omaha about this general area around the airport. Essentially the caller was asking about interest and efforts to create a multi-modal (this is how the caller phrased it) logistics center near the airport. I've posted this a couple times already in other threads, but Senator Wayne, who represents some of North Omaha, effectively passed a bill to allow the creation and regulation of an inland port authority. Based on my quick read of the requirements, that would be based around North Omaha near the airport.

This piece of land is located right across the airport and could be a great addition to the logistics network in that area. Speculative industrial space has been on the rise in Omaha, but it's primarily being built way out in southwest Omaha near the 144th and I-80 corridor. I have heard second hand that some employers are having difficulty getting employees to that area because it is only accessible by car.

My argument for this particular project is that it would boost an area that has struggled to bring new jobs too that is accessible by more than just by car. I am speaking to North Omaha generally. I agree, warehouses, when viewed in a vacuum, are not the best projects for TIF. But I think looking at this project in context, it is a viable recipient.

I am interested though, what do you think is an alternative for this particular piece of land? I am thinking a hotel. Do you think a residential project would work here?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Residential wouldn't work here. I don't think a large warehouse is out of place at all - it's nothing but warehouses/plants around there anyways for the most part. Assuming that the trucks would use the Storz Expressway for highway access, I'm not convinced that this would look like a blight/bad as Omaha's "doorway" as the guest/visitor traffic would be heading south on Storz towards downtown.

TIF is a different issue altogether, but for function as it relates to location I don't think this is a problem?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

NEDodger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:17 am Residential wouldn't work here. I don't think a large warehouse is out of place at all - it's nothing but warehouses/plants around there anyways for the most part. Assuming that the trucks would use the Storz Expressway for highway access, I'm not convinced that this would look like a blight/bad as Omaha's "doorway" as the guest/visitor traffic would be heading south on Abbott towards downtown.

TIF is a different issue altogether, but for function as it relates to location I don't think this is a problem?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Residential wouldn't work here. I don't think a large warehouse is out of place at all - it's nothing but warehouses/plants around there anyways for the most part. Assuming that the trucks would use the Storz Expressway for highway access, I'm not convinced that this would look like a blight/bad as Omaha's "doorway" as the guest/visitor traffic would be heading south on Abbott towards downtown.

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A couple of quick thoughts:

Would you want to live close to an airport flight path? THIS close? Other than Midway?

Think of other airports you've been to. Notice any warehouses near them? Jobs, jobs, jobs.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:05 am I am interested though, what do you think is an alternative for this particular piece of land? I am thinking a hotel. Do you think a residential project would work here?
Looking at it from the map, I could see something residential working there. There is a lot of work nearby that I think something like affordable townhouses for rent could work for those who work at the airport, the industry nearby, or the correctional facilities.