New Kiewit HQ

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
Planning Board

Re: New Kiewit HQ

Post by Garrett »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well according to a post over on DSM's forum the IT department for Kiewit will be staying in their current building.

I checked with a friend who is a senior IT manager at Kiewit and she stated IT may eventually be going downtown as well.

Greg

That is also what I heard earlier today.

As for working harder to bring in companies to relocate here, an actual HQ and not just a satellite office, what exactly could be done that is fesible and would pass given the mindset of the people and government in this city and state?
These days there’s basically just one thing that will attract an HQ.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Garrett wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well according to a post over on DSM's forum the IT department for Kiewit will be staying in their current building.

I checked with a friend who is a senior IT manager at Kiewit and she stated IT may eventually be going downtown as well.

Greg

That is also what I heard earlier today.

As for working harder to bring in companies to relocate here, an actual HQ and not just a satellite office, what exactly could be done that is fesible and would pass given the mindset of the people and government in this city and state?
These days there’s basically just one thing that will attract an HQ.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hence my caveat "given the mindset of the people amd government of the state". I doubt they do what it takes.
No posts exist for this topic
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I am starting to really doubt that the tax breaks and incentives really attract companies. I think they can be a tie breaker but by and large companies decide where they want to go and use incentive offers as bargaining chips too get a sweeter deal where they were going to go anyway.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Dundeemaha wrote: I think they can be a tie breaker but by and large companies decide where they want to go and use incentive offers as bargaining chips too get a sweeter deal where they were going to go anyway.
Hard to disagree with this one.. Good point :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote: I think they can be a tie breaker but by and large companies decide where they want to go and use incentive offers as bargaining chips too get a sweeter deal where they were going to go anyway.

Ciao..LiO...Peace
When I made my original post, I was meaning more than what one would typically think of as incentives, but including them. For example, civic improvements like public transportation, airport improvements, entertainment focus, etc. Things that not only attract business in of themselves, but help keep talent in state. Not to mention focused Omaha/Nebraska marketing (Nebraska nice? Yikes). Those all cost $$$, and sometimes lots of it. *Shrugs*
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
When I made my original post, I was meaning more than what one would typically think of as incentives, but including them. For example, civic improvements like public transportation, airport improvements, entertainment focus, etc. Things that not only attract business in of themselves, but help keep talent in state. Not to mention focused Omaha/Nebraska marketing (Nebraska nice? Yikes). Those all cost $$$, and sometimes lots of it. *Shrugs*
No disagreement at all here. I agree...

Kiewit “may” have been the last local corporate chance Omaha has of going vertical in the central business district.. But I’m satisfied with their commitment to build in north downtown..even with a 5-9 story low rise structure..

If we’re thinking of vertical, then what happens at the old Civic site as it relates to a possible public library move.. Then the current location of W Dale Clark becomes a prime location for a premium structure of some sort.. But that’s another discussion for another thread :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
No disagreement at all here. I agree...

Kiewit “may” have been the last local corporate chance Omaha has of going vertical in the central business district.. But I’m satisfied with their commitment to build in north downtown..even with a 5-9 story low rise structure..

If we’re thinking of vertical, then what happens at the old Civic site as it relates to a possible public library move.. Then the current location of W Dale Clark becomes a prime location for a premium structure of some sort.. But that’s another discussion for another thread :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what Kiewit has done for the area. Just stated that, for those looking for a commercial based high rise, they may be out of luck in the near, mid terms.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I’d say they’re out of luck for th long terms too. I only have three problems with this and of course it’s an asinine low rise, it shortens the list of this famed GLM head piece and we are losing another street. I think it’s OCD but our downtown street grid is already looking like a Cadillac grill full of bullet holes. And Omaha just gives these blocks up like they want a confusing |expletive| grid it should be an ordinance to preserve continuity.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I like what Kiewit is doing.
They are making a long term commitment to Omaha.
If they had to pull the strings now,
it's probably because they knew the library wasn't moving anytime soon.
They can now spur great retail/restaurant energy in North Downtown.
Isn't this what we really wanted?

Who knows when of if the Library location will be open for development?
Who knows what will be on the Tetrad site? The ConAgra site? Lot B?

I trust our World class Chamber in finding the right fit for the Library site.
Downtown Omaha has a lot going for it right now.
There just might be a wild card waiting for an amazing opportunity to open up.
This can be a huge selling point for an outside business to make a huge splash.
How many other cities can offer a World class location for instant recognition?

I look on the bright side of an opportunity for a huge get for Omaha.
Think Big. We don't coast!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

MTO wrote:I’d say they’re out of luck for th long terms too. I only have three problems with this and of course it’s an asinine low rise, it shortens the list of this famed GLM head piece and we are losing another street. I think it’s OCD but our downtown street grid is already looking like a Cadillac grill full of bullet holes. And Omaha just gives these blocks up like they want a confusing |expletive| grid it should be an ordinance to preserve continuity.
Well, then you give your millions and then you can get what you want,:)
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Another Super Block. Couldn't the building on one block and the parking lot on the other connected by some elevated walkways serve the same purpose. Is ConAgra campus the first Super Block in Omaha where the city might reclaim a street?

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Of interest. The property to the west of the Session room sold in January, as far as I can tell not to Kiewit. "North Downtown Condos LLC" is the owner now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Noddle to Develop $76M Headquarters for Kiewit Corp. in Downtown Omaha

https://rebusinessonline.com/noddle-to- ... own-omaha/
REBusinessOnline.com wrote:OMAHA, NEB. — The Noddle Cos. has been selected to develop the new corporate headquarters for Kiewit Corp. in north downtown Omaha. The office building will range from 165,000 to 185,000 square feet. HDR designed the project, which also includes a parking garage for 650 cars. Construction costs are estimated at $76 million. The new headquarters for the construction and engineering organization will be situated across the street from Kiewit University. Construction is scheduled to begin in October and finish in 2020.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Im anxious to see renderings
Go Cubs Go
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I'm trying to get a mental frame of reference for 165-185k sqft of office space. What buildings in town are of comparable size? I know this is smaller scale than HDR or any of the big guys downtown, but how much?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Ben wrote:I'm trying to get a mental frame of reference for 165-185k sqft of office space. What buildings in town are of comparable size? I know this is smaller scale than HDR or any of the big guys downtown, but how much?
HDR is building 245,000 sqft.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Noddle to Develop $76M Headquarters for Kiewit Corp. in Downtown Omaha

https://rebusinessonline.com/noddle-to- ... own-omaha/
REBusinessOnline.com wrote:OMAHA, NEB. — The Noddle Cos. has been selected to develop the new corporate headquarters for Kiewit Corp. in north downtown Omaha. The office building will range from 165,000 to 185,000 square feet. HDR designed the project, which also includes a parking garage for 650 cars. Construction costs are estimated at $76 million. The new headquarters for the construction and engineering organization will be situated across the street from Kiewit University. Construction is scheduled to begin in October and finish in 2020.
So, if each of the floors is 1,000 square feet.... We could have a 100 plus floor tower!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thenewguy wrote:Im anxious to see renderings
I don’t think it’s going to be anything earth-shattering.. But like I said when they announced it-

I’m glad Kiewit chose to remain in the core and construct their new HQ building in North Downtown...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Could end up being a 2-block Gavilon. But yeah, hurray for more jobs downtown.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

MadMartin8 wrote:So, if each of the floors is 1,000 square feet.... We could have a 100 plus floor tower!
:lol: They did this to us!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did I hear that The Session Room is moving into The Yard? 1415 Cuming?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Did I hear that The Session Room is moving into The Yard? 1415 Cuming?
The neighboring buildings are currently being demolished. You would think their move would need to be pretty soon.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Some planning department stuff for this project being reviewed next week.
Approval of the KIEWIT HEADQUARTERS
CAMPUS REDEVELOPMENT PLAN

An area generally bounded by Cuming Street
on the north, 15th Street on the east, Cass
Street on the south and 17th Street on the
west
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am Some planning department stuff for this project being reviewed next week.

west
Kiewit Headquarters Campus? 15 to 17th Street? Cuming Street to Cass Street? That is 8 full city blocks! I hope they are planning more than a 5 story office building and a parking garage.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Found that interesting too. I will be keeping my eye on it to hopefully find some info. I imagine it should be uploaded by the city before the meeting Wednesday.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am Some planning department stuff for this project being reviewed next week.

west
Kiewit Headquarters Campus? 15 to 17th Street? Cuming Street to Cass Street? That is 8 full city blocks! I hope they are planning more than a 5 story office building and a parking garage.
Sounds quite Con Agra-ish right now. Eager to see the details and hopefully be happy with them.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Way cool! It always seemed like such a nice company. I can't wait to see it done someday.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I just want to mention that the equivalent of two of those lots are home to parking lots that are valued by First National. I don't see how any of this development would touch anything south of Mike Fahey (Webster), unless they're planning on getting in the real estate business.

16th Street is an important indication that this won't be an eight block development. Maybe they know they need two blocks and they want to be in north Downtown, but don't know exactly where yet. I'm still expecting a two block development.

Also, if they follow through with their north Downtown plan, this might change our transportation priorities. Since there's no convenient interstate access, they might be counting on their employees living closer to town and using public transportation. I think someone mentioned quite a while ago it seemed curious that Kiewit would move their HQ to a place along the proposed streetcar route, when their current HQ is also along the proposed streetcar route.

Maybe Kiewit is in the "we get what we want or we leave" mode, like ConAgra was. In that case everything else I wrote wouldn't apply.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 am I just want to mention that the equivalent of two of those lots are home to parking lots that are valued by First National. I don't see how any of this development would touch anything south of Mike Fahey (Webster), unless they're planning on getting in the real estate business.

16th Street is an important indication that this won't be an eight block development. Maybe they know they need two blocks and they want to be in north Downtown, but don't know exactly where yet. I'm still expecting a two block development.

Also, if they follow through with their north Downtown plan, this might change our transportation priorities. Since there's no convenient interstate access, they might be counting on their employees living closer to town and using public transportation. I think someone mentioned quite a while ago it seemed curious that Kiewit would move their HQ to a place along the proposed streetcar route, when their current HQ is also along the proposed streetcar route.

Maybe Kiewit is in the "we get what we want or we leave" mode, like ConAgra was. In that case everything else I wrote wouldn't apply.
I think Campus might be misleading. I don't think they are going to block off the streets and do a suburban golf course type campus like ConAgra. I think their two block Headquarters complex might be phase one, and phase two being multiuse office and residential buildings on the other blocks. Maybe Retail lining 16th Street.

Kiewit is already in the Real Estate Business. They have purchased a ton of land on the North Side of Cuming Street in North Omaha especially along 16th. This would be a great way to raise the value of the land the own in North Omaha by developing North Downtown and 16th street.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:57 am I just want to mention that the equivalent of two of those lots are home to parking lots that are valued by First National. I don't see how any of this development would touch anything south of Mike Fahey (Webster), unless they're planning on getting in the real estate business.

I think Campus might be misleading. I don't think they are going to block off the streets and do a suburban golf course type campus like ConAgra. I think their two block Headquarters complex might be phase one, and phase two being multiuse office and residential buildings on the other blocks. Maybe Retail lining 16th Street.

Kiewit is already in the Real Estate Business. They have purchased a ton of land on the North Side of Cuming Street in North Omaha especially along 16th. This would be a great way to raise the value of the land the own in North Omaha by developing North Downtown and 16th street.
I was unaware that they owned land there. That is reassuring.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 amI think Campus might be misleading. I don't think they are going to block off the streets and do a suburban golf course type campus like ConAgra. I think their two block Headquarters complex might be phase one, and phase two being multiuse office and residential buildings on the other blocks. Maybe Retail lining 16th Street.

Okay, now I understand. The HQ would be where it was originally announced, and they are looking to develop surrounding blocks, much like Mutual is doing. That makes sense.

How far north does their land stretch? I personally consider north Omaha to start north of the bend in 16th, because that's where the neighborhood characteristics start.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ay/02a.pdf

Most interesting portion of the plan is that there is a second phase proposed that would equal the 160K-180K SF that was previously announced.

There is also a rough site plan at the link. It shows the actual building being a little smaller floor plate than Kiewit University. Would support ~180K SF in about 6 floors if were doing rough math.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pmThere is also a rough site plan at the link. It shows the actual building being a little smaller floor plate than Kiewit University. Would support ~180K SF in about 6 floors if were doing rough math.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (192.06 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

What do we think "future development expansion" would entail? Far as I can tell, the actual HQ is still at 15th and Mike Fahey, so what will these "future development expansions" be?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 pm What do we think "future development expansion" would entail? Far as I can tell, the actual HQ is still at 15th and Mike Fahey, so what will these "future development expansions" be?
Pretty sure those are just identified as future development opportunities not specifically tied to Kiewit. The document from the planning board shows that the planning department was the applicant for this redevelopment area on behalf of the city. So this is beyond the scope of the HQ.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 am
Joe_Sovereign wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 amI think Campus might be misleading. I don't think they are going to block off the streets and do a suburban golf course type campus like ConAgra. I think their two block Headquarters complex might be phase one, and phase two being multiuse office and residential buildings on the other blocks. Maybe Retail lining 16th Street.

Okay, now I understand. The HQ would be where it was originally announced, and they are looking to develop surrounding blocks, much like Mutual is doing. That makes sense.

How far north does their land stretch? I personally consider north Omaha to start north of the bend in 16th, because that's where the neighborhood characteristics start.
I don't know what specifically they own. The was a Omaha World Herald article about basically land speculation in North Omaha. Developers had been buying up vacant lots in North Omaha, especially along 16th street near North Downtown. It mentioned Kiewit as one of the largest buyers.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Whatever is going on, whatever is being built, the city should "Kiss Kiewit" for this.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Getting tied to something called Builder's District. I will find more info when the planning department uploads the documents.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:52 pm Whatever is going on, whatever is being built, the city should "Kiss Kiewit" for this.
And ghost HDR
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I was told Kiewit will be 8 stories fwiw