New Kiewit HQ

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

New Kiewit HQ

Post by Coyote »

Kiewit Corp. is moving its headquarters to north downtown Omaha

Details are still being hammered out, including the design of the headquarters. It will rise near the company’s Kiewit University, where it trains its employees from around the world, at 14th and Mike Fahey Streets.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: New Kiewit HQ

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is exciting news. Is there much space on their land there?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow! Wish they would have picked either where HD was going to build or the former UP lot but this is great news.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

8 to 10 story building potentially?
No posts exist for this topic
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

So this is where it is going?
Attachments
Keiwit.PNG
Keiwit.PNG (53.15 KiB) Viewed 9761 times
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Looks like just a big parking lot right now... With a little luck it will be a lot nicer than what's out West now.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

So what's going to be with Kiewit Plaza? Berkshire going to move a bunch of subsidiaries in?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ok how did somebody on here not know about this and report it here before the press release.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

NovakOmaha wrote:So what's going to be with Kiewit Plaza? Berkshire going to move a bunch of subsidiaries in?
WIth how hot the area is, who knows, there could even be an apartment conversion.

Overall, incredible news though. I’ve been saying for a while that North Downtown needs a major office anchor to help make it a 24/7 365 district. This also ties into another reason for the streetcar. With Noddle involved on top of it all, this could be the last missing piece to get development up there going
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Ok how did somebody on here not know about this and report it here before the press release.
Sorry, my bad, every once in a while something gets past my radar. :type:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Garrett wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:So what's going to be with Kiewit Plaza? Berkshire going to move a bunch of subsidiaries in?
WIth how hot the area is, who knows, there could even be an apartment conversion.

Overall, incredible news though. I’ve been saying for a while that North Downtown needs a major office anchor to help make it a 24/7 365 district. This also ties into another reason for the streetcar. With Noddle involved on top of it all, this could be the last missing piece to get development up there going
It would be great if the Blackstone could be converted back into a hotel. The ballroom on the top floor had amazing views.
nmalone
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nmalone »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:

It would be great if the Blackstone could be converted back into a hotel. The ballroom on the top floor had amazing views.

100% AGREE!
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote:

I actually asked about this a little earlier in the street car thread:

http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... start=1880
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Ok how did somebody on here not know about this and report it here before the press release.
Sorry, my bad, every once in a while something gets past my radar. :type:
Shame on you!!! You should be ashamed of your lack of knowledge :lol: :lol: :lol:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dang. That is major news. Will be interesting to see just how many employees end up here vs an A/V office and the office out west.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I don't quite understand this one. The location doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless this is going to be a relatively short building. I think we all kind of figured Kiewit was our last shot at a new skyscraper downtown. For that kind of building, I'm surprised it didn't end up in one of these locations:

1.) The old UP site
2.) The Civic site
3.) The Clark library site, with the new main branch going to the Civic.
4.) The southwest corner of Lot B

Was really hoping a new Kiewit headquarters would be a portion of a new 30+ story building, but this location feels like it squashes that idea.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Glad Kiewit is committed to Omaha, no doubt about that, and the location is a lock given their training center. Given the immensity of Kiewit I'm sure this will spur supportive development for traveling associates and the food-seeking corporate lunch crowd. But I'm also a bit skeptical this will spur any development and atmosphere beyond the 8a-6p business crowd.

But to really poke the bear, here you go, Smucker; Kiewit gets a jump on property values before the streetcar loop is approved, retains ownership of Blackstone property, builds streetcar line which terminates at their new NDT corp hq, and cashes in at Blackstone after streetcar line is built.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

It's gonna be a whopping 5-stories in height. That's as high as the new water slide going in at Fun Plex
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:Dang. That is major news. Will be interesting to see just how many employees end up here vs an A/V office and the office out west.
That Aksarben lease was only short term. I was told their other leases are expiring soon. I would expect them to all locate down here based on that.

This is great news for downtown. With Toast, the Sherwood Foundation, and Capitol District, dare I say downtown has some momentum right now?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few other details in the paper today:
Kiewit’s own company training center, which opened across the street in February as Kiewit University, is a prime reason Kiewit chose the location for an office building and parking garage hosting as many as 650 people, with construction costs as high as $76 million.

Noddle, who also has developed Aksarben Village and other properties in the city, said Kiewit’s plan calls for a building with 165,000 to 185,000 square feet at a cost he estimated between $49.5 million and $60.2 million.

An adjacent garage would hold 600 to 650 vehicles and cost between $13.2 million and $16.3 million.

“We’re just starting in on the design process,” Noddle said, but the office building will have from five to nine stories. “We’re concerned about developing a highly efficient and high-quality campus and fitting into the neighborhood.

Construction would begin as soon as is practical, he said, and Kiewit could move in as early as 2020, although exact dates are not set.

Kiewit’s need for the first office building is “fairly well-defined,” Noddle said, but later structures are undetermined. There’s enough land to at least double the office space if needed. “We have no idea how their company might grow in the future,” he said.”

For comparison: the new HDR HQ's is for 1,150 people, 245,000 sq ft, and $110 cost.

So this project will probably be about 1/2 or 2/3 of the scope of HDR.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Here is to hoping they put their 5 to 9 story office on top of the parking garage.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Here is to hoping they put their 5 to 9 story office on top of the parking garage.
Unfortunately the garage will be adjacent to the HQ on their mid-rise super block
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Someone said The Session Room is moving... so are they taking out the building on that block?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Someone said The Session Room is moving... so are they taking out the building on that block?
Based on the OWH map it would appear so, pretty disappointing they couldn’t consolidate everything on one block. If they have street level retail it would make up for things though.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Someone said The Session Room is moving... so are they taking out the building on that block?
Based on the OWH map it would appear so, pretty disappointing they couldn’t consolidate everything on one block. If they have street level retail it would make up for things though.
KETV did a nice report on the project and mentioned the Session Room looking for places to move to.

http://www.ketv.com/article/kiewit-anno ... n/14438336

I don't think it's too bad of a block to demolish the structures on. Nothing too great here.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Kiewit’s need for the first office building is “fairly well-defined,” Noddle said, but later structures are undetermined. There’s enough land to at least double the office space if needed. “We have no idea how their company might grow in the future,” he said.”
This paragraph from the article makes it sound like they are going to leave some empty space on the block for future buildings.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This and The Yard are going to be really nice improvements for the area. Feeling like both are going to end up as pretty weak attempts at true urban mixed use developments. We are still adding super blocks to our downtown, still not integrating parking very well, still not providing considerable retail space.

Very excited for the investment, feel like it could have been better to make a true neighborhood that has been master planned for over a decade now.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Bye bye to the original advertising inside the tsr for "omaha brewing association".
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I'm not super concerned about the height on this one. ~5 stories is my bet, and it will still help the area a lot.
Last edited by Athomsfere on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Anyone who thinks there will be more than 7-10 floors for this is crazy. But, as much as I would love another signature skyscraper for the city, NDT is not the place. A tower would be very out of place here. The piece on KETV was good, but mad props to Kiewit for working with the owners of TSR - they seemed very positive about how Kiewit is working with them. With so many employees I'm sure they will be well taken care of when it's time for post-work beers!
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Normally i slide over to the happy bar for a pounder and bag of chili cheese fritos after a long day.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

almighty_tuna wrote:Anyone who thinks there will be more than 7-10 floors for this is crazy. But, as much as I would love another signature skyscraper for the city, NDT is not the place. A tower would be very out of place here. The piece on KETV was good, but mad props to Kiewit for working with the owners of TSR - they seemed very positive about how Kiewit is working with them. With so many employees I'm sure they will be well taken care of when it's time for post-work beers!
I agree with Tuna here.. no need for disappointment regarding another low rise building in north downtown..

The 2 reasons to be excited about this proposed announcement are-

A) A long standing signature Omaha company reinforces their belief in the city and its core, and makes a long term commitment..

B) North Dowtown development has come a LONG way since the early development days when InPlay and several other assorted businesses popped up throughout what could be best described in the mid 2000’s as a spotty development area. Fast forward to 2017/2018.. What’s happening in north downtown is truly amazing...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Getting more folks in the area is the goal, regardless of height, in the long run this will be a great district (which we will still complain about here....for reasons). Be curious to see the impact on the area they are leaving, though. Also, what are the chances of them saying "so long" to their west Omaha building?

That said, this was Omaha's last chance at a corp high rise building, so there's that too. Oh well.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well according to a post over on DSM's forum the IT department for Kiewit will be staying in their current building.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:Well according to a post over on DSM's forum the IT department for Kiewit will be staying in their current building.

I checked with a friend who is a senior IT manager at Kiewit and she stated IT may eventually be going downtown as well.

Greg
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

As far as the last chance for a corporate high rise; What about Mutual of Omaha?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mgoett wrote:As far as the last chance for a corporate high rise; What about Mutual of Omaha?
The word I’m hearing, is Mutual will be building anew.. But they’ll be staying in the same traditional midtown area which contains their current corporate “campus”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MadMartin8 wrote:That said, this was Omaha's last chance at a corp high rise building, so there's that too. Oh well.
From a homegrown company who could slap their name atop a tower, probably. But otherwise I disagree. Omaha will need to work harder and foster a positive environment and retain talent. We say we want to be a successful, large city and we do that by growing up and reaching outside our bounds to bring that talent and business in. The low-hanging fruit is gone, now we really need to work harder than ever.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Excellent development and fit of the area. I would be surprised to see any retail space tied to this. In regards to their current two properties, I'm wondering why some people want to see hotels become of these vs apartments or condos or continued as office space. Also, the years I've heard plenty of talk about the need for office space at NE Med...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well according to a post over on DSM's forum the IT department for Kiewit will be staying in their current building.

I checked with a friend who is a senior IT manager at Kiewit and she stated IT may eventually be going downtown as well.

Greg

That is also what I heard earlier today.

As for working harder to bring in companies to relocate here, an actual HQ and not just a satellite office, what exactly could be done that is fesible and would pass given the mindset of the people and government in this city and state?