Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

nativeomahan wrote:
Axel wrote:I swear the World Herald has started running stories based on this forum...
Maybe the forum manager should issue the World-Herald a copyright notice.   :;):
Maybe  :P
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

You have reached your monthly limit of eOmahaForums topics. Subscribe now to enjoy unlimited content for the low price of $9.99/mo!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

lol
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Not a great pic, but REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Ted Nugent were hanging around midtown all evening.

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Axel wrote:I swear the World Herald has started running stories based on this forum...
LOL, no worse than WOWT passing off Facebook comments as news!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:Not a great pic, but REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Ted Nugent were hanging around midtown all evening.
Wow, the Great White Buff^H^Hs. :)
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omababe wrote:
LOL, no worse than WOWT passing off Facebook comments as news!
Hahaha just wait, soon WOWT will start reading our comments on things.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Looks like they added another event this summer.

Greater Omaha’s award-winning urban development is set to premiere its latest community event -- “Midtown Crossing presents Monday Night at the Movies in Turner Park.”

The events will be free and open to the public, featuring popular, sports-themed movies projected onto a 26-foot screen in Turner Park. Showtime is 8 pm on Monday nights, June 11 through August 13.

“Summer nights, a beautiful outdoor venue, and some of the greatest sports movies ever made – we have all the elements of a real blockbuster, family-friendly event here. We’re looking forward to some fun evenings and some fabulous turnouts,” said Jessica Sumner, General Manager, Marcus Midtown Cinema.

List of Movies: http://midtowncrossing.com/events/Calen ... =11&y=2012

List of Summer Events: http://www.midtowncrossing.com/events/summer-2012
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

These movie-in-the-park events really seem to be catching on. It's cool to see MTC starting it too.  My wife and I will have to make it out sometime this summer.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

A few years back we had movies in the Leahy Mall. That was nice.

Movies in the park = cool. Sports theme = meh.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Turner Park is getting free Wifi.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

iamjacobm wrote:Turner Park is getting free Wifi.
Great news.  Further evidence of progress coming to Omaha.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Architects of Air started going up today, Here are a couple updates:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Another restaurant closes at MTC.  This place needs more retail, can you imagine the amount of traffic an Apple store would bring?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote:Another restaurant closes at MTC.  This place needs more retail, can you imagine the amount of traffic an Apple store would bring?
My only qualm with that is: Wouldn't the Apple Store demand to be in one of their metal boxes?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Axel wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Another restaurant closes at MTC.  This place needs more retail, can you imagine the amount of traffic an Apple store would bring?
My only qualm with that is: Wouldn't the Apple Store demand to be in one of their metal boxes?
Not to mention their annoying tendency to want to be in places people actually shop.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

More retail would obviously be nice, but I actually think the current amount of dinning is just about right.  I would like another late night option, whatever happened to the supposed sports bar where Parliment was?  I would be there quite a bit if it existed.

I think it has more to do with the under developed neighborhood it sits in, Aksarben Village is much closer to families and people with money to spend right now.  MTC is a gem, but much of the immediate housing isn't people that are dinning at the prices these restaurants wanted to charge.  More things like the Urban Village rehab on Park Ave will boost the expendable income in the area.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

It appears Republic of Couture has closed its doors. Everything is removed from the windows and based on comments on their Facebook page it seems confirmed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went down to Photograph the Monday Night Movie in the park last monday.  They had a great turn out for Hoosiers.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am glad you didn't go down to photograph the Monday Night Movie on Tuesday!    :mrgreen:  

Brad wrote:I went down to Photograph the Monday Night Movie in the park last monday.  They had a great turn out for Hoosiers.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:It appears Republic of Couture has closed its doors. Everything is removed from the windows and based on comments on their Facebook page it seems confirmed.
Big surprise there!  :sarcasm:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Republic of Couture closes at Midtown Crossing
OWH wrote:Other businesses that have been short-lived at Midtown Crossing include Loft 610 restaurant, Portovino Ristorante, Parliament Pub and Blanc Burgers + Bottles.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Did anyone who lives in Omaha think that store had a chance?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:Did anyone who lives in Omaha think that store had a chance?

No.  It actually lasted much longer than I thought it would.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120719/M ... n-crossing
“It’s bittersweet,” said Molly Skold, marketing director for East Campus Realty, which manages Midtown Crossing near 31st and Farnam Streets. “Though it’s unfortunate to see Republic of Couture go, we do have a letter of intent on the full space and we are very excited about what’s coming.”

Skold declined to say which retailer would occupy the 10,000-square-foot space left behind by Republic of Couture, calling it a “popular, regional destination.”
Skold said Midtown Crossing is in the process of closing deals on its vacant spaces. In November, the former Parliament Pub space will be replaced by Saints Pub + Patio, a dining and drinks destination popular in the Des Moines and Kansas City metro areas.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brix to open at Midtown Crossing
Brix will open its second Omaha location this fall in Midtown Crossing.

The “complete wine and spirits experience” will take over the 10,000-square-foot space vacated by the high-end clothing and accessories boutique Republic of Couture, which closed Wednesday.

Designed by owner Dan Matuszek, the Brix concept brings three businesses together under one roof — a wine and spirits “and more” retail store, an on-premise wine bistro and a state-of-the-art event center.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120719/MONEY/707209963/
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Linkin5 wrote:Yeah!  I have a feeling Brix will do great.
I believe it will do great as well, but have a couple thoughts....

1. I wonder what other MTC businesses think. For example Wholner's wine sales will take a hit im sure and their tasting events will probably end. Parmida has a large wine accessory line at probably higher prices than Brix.

2. Although Brix, lennys subs, Black Oak Grill, and Saints Patio are great for MTC, it seems like these are all destination places. Other than the events such as jazz, people seem to go for just an eat and/or drink at one place. There is not much keeping people in the area. I believe there needs to be much more retail that will keep people in the are and looking at each bay. Im sure that is what they are looking to fill next but hope its soon.

3. Also instead of putting the new lawn and MTC sign on dodge they should have built more apartments. There is always a waiting list for apartments there and they cant seem to sell the condos. Condos are being rented starting at $1,400 a month but never fully rented either.

Just some thoughts...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I am curious as to their intentions for an event center.  It sounds intriguing.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

nebport5 wrote:There's never anyone in there.  They haven't a clue who their customer base is.  They carry essential they same things Baker's and Hy-Vee does at higher prices with weird hours.

In short, Wolner's = fail

This can be said of both locations. I have no idea how either one stays open.

My father who has worked at Mutual of Omaha for 35 years tells me Wohlner's is not only in MTC rent free, but Mutual also subsidizes them thousands per month to keep them there. Not sure about how true that is, but it does make sense.
omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omaharocks »

The current location has an event center as well.  It's basically a very nice party room that they use for their wine and beer dinners as well as renting it out for private events.  I love the Village Pointe location, but am excited to see the store in a more "intimate" setting, with everything together (i.e., no separation between bistro and retail).
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

ThatGuy wrote:
nebport5 wrote:There's never anyone in there.  They haven't a clue who their customer base is.  They carry essential they same things Baker's and Hy-Vee does at higher prices with weird hours.

My father who has worked at Mutual of Omaha for 35 years tells me Wohlner's is not only in MTC rent free, but Mutual also subsidizes them thousands per month to keep them there. Not sure about how true that is, but it does make sense.
Yeah I've heard Mutual carries most of their inventory.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:

Yeah I've heard Mutual carries most of their inventory.

The initial restaurant leases were dirt cheap too.  Not sure if they are getting much rent on those either.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wholner's @ Midtown Crossing

I talked to a person with fist hand knowledge of the Wholner's at Midtown Crossing, here is what they told me:

- Sales are up significantly over the past 18 months
- Customer Traffic is fantastic
- New staff is being hired
- They are attracting customers from Downtown, Midtown, Fair Acres, Dundee and as far away as Carter Lake.
- Plus, the Midweek Market has been great for customer traffic (http://midtowncrossing.com/events/mid-week-market)

They said overall people are loving the Midtown Location!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:Wholner's @ Midtown Crossing

I talked to a person with fist hand knowledge of the Wholner's at Midtown Crossing, here is what they told me:

- Sales are up significantly over the past 18 months
- Customer Traffic is fantastic
- New staff is being hired
- They are attracting customers from Downtown, Midtown, Fair Acres, Dundee and as far away as Carter Lake.
- Plus, the Midweek Market has been great for customer traffic (http://midtowncrossing.com/events/mid-week-market)

They said overall people are loving the Midtown Location!
Especially Wholners!  Who wouldn't love smokin rent and someone else carrying your inventory.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

OMH wrote: Other businesses that have been short-lived at Midtown Crossing include Loft 610 restaurant, Portovino Ristorante, Parliament Pub and Blanc Burgers + Bottles.

I didn't know that Parliament Pub and Blanc Burgers closed. I used to live at 33rd and dodge until March of this year. Shows how little I go over there anymore since I moved to 72nd area. I liked Blanc's but only was there once, though a little greasy.

That's a lot of places to have closed. ROC  was a little on the pricey side, so that's understandable.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Parliament Pub didn't close, it just relocated to downtown.  I believe it was a chance to expand on its douchebaggery.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:I believe it was a chance to expand on its douchebaggery.
Mathematically impossible.
Stable genius.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Big E wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I believe it was a chance to expand on its douchebaggery.
Mathematically impossible.
Which makes it all the more douchebaggy to try.