Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by omaha79 »

As many of us have predicted for some time, Grane is closing at the end of the month...

http://www.omaha.com/living/following-b ... 25296.html
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It's really dying down here right now. But I feel like it will work itself out. They just need to get more affordable options instead of trying to be a pricey entertainment destination. I barely go to most of the places because it's not reasonable for me to go often.

Some have said that Goin' Postal didn't seem to fit the area but it was a really convenient thing for me tonight as I had to mail something. It was nice not having to drive somewhere to do that. And after that I stopped by Chicago Dawg for a quick bite. These nice conveniences are what a mixed use area needs. Practical necessities for the residents. Basically a mini town within the city. It doesn't need to be some kind of entertainment district.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:It's really dying down here right now. But I feel like it will work itself out. They just need to get more affordable options instead of trying to be a pricey entertainment destination. I barely go to most of the places because it's not reasonable for me to go often.

Some have said that Goin' Postal didn't seem to fit the area but it was a really convenient thing for me tonight as I had to mail something. It was nice not having to drive somewhere to do that. And after that I stopped by Chicago Dawg for a quick bite. These nice conveniences are what a mixed use area needs. Practical necessities for the residents. Basically a mini town within the city. It doesn't need to be some kind of entertainment district.
I agree with this for the most part. It needs to cater to the residents first, area workers second, and beyond that can cater to the public at large as an entertainment district. Compared to other areas of the city, I don't really see this succeeding as the it upscale entertainment district in the city. Too many other options around town that are more convenient to those that have that kind of money.

To this point, I heard a 3rd hand account from the sources I've been getting these closings from that said back in 2008 establishments like Chipotle and Subway wanted to open in MidTown Crossing, but they were given a polite no by the developers. The thought at the time was that these establishments were too low brow and didn't fit the upscale nature they envisioned for the development. The conversation went on to say that those types of businesses would now be welcomed, but it has flipped and the restauranteurs have reservations about placing businesses there due to the recent business failures down there. It's also ironic if MTC didn't want Subway in there that their ultimate choice to place in MTC, Lennies, was at least in part killed by the fact Mutual recently put a Subway in their cafeteria.

Quick casual restaurants should do well there. Most MOO employees get between a 30 and 45 minute lunch. They don't have time to eat at Cantina Laredo, Leadbelly, or Black Oak Grill. Getting the MOO lunch crowd will be even more important going forward if the theater ends up leaving, as expected as the area takes a huge hit as an "entertainment district".
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Why do you think the theater is going to leave?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:Why do you think the theater is going to leave?
I have heard Marcus is leaving also...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:

Do you mean that all of the Marcus theaters are closing?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Do you mean that all of the Marcus theaters are closing?
No, just pulling out of MTC.
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Anyone know if Grane has Japanese whiskey for retail?

If so, should I buy some now or wait for the possible fire sale?

I've been waiting for months to see if Heritage Food & Wine will fire sale their wine cellar but I've heard nothing, even though I saw some workers clearing out the interior space recently.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This is a rumor that has been circulating for a while now. The theater is struggling. The sources that have been right on every other closing so far this year give the theater roughly 12 months left give or take.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

omaha79 wrote:

This is a rumor that has been circulating for a while now. The theater is struggling. The sources that have been right on every other closing so far this year give the theater roughly 12 months left give or take.

In the paper a week or so back it said that the theater has already notified MIdtown Crossing that they will be closing. The theater told Midtown that they will hang around a little longer until MIdtown finds a tenant to replace them. The article said that since this is a big stall it will be hard to fill and so far they have had no interested parties.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

In the paper a week or so back it said that the theater has already notified MIdtown Crossing that they will be closing. The theater told Midtown that they will hang around a little longer until MIdtown finds a tenant to replace them. The article said that since this is a big stall it will be hard to fill and so far they have had no interested parties.
do you know which article? I can't find anything like that in the world herald.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It appears the movie theater is going to be turned into 57,000 SF of office space.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/84D3E4E9 ... D9280A.pdf
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Awesome we need to hear more employment news for the area.
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

So disappointing. An Alamo Drafthouse would have been so perfect here.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Living in Gretna I do a fair amount DT (MT) in Omaha but I have to say I never saw a movie here. That is a factor of other closer options and not seeing many movies in the theater. That being said I hate to see this go and think this will be a bigger loss to the focus of the development than a restaurant or retail that can come and go much easier.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote:Living in Gretna I do a fair amount DT (MT) in Omaha but I have to say I never saw a movie here. That is a factor of other closer options and not seeing many movies in the theater. That being said I hate to see this go and think this will be a bigger loss to the focus of the development than a restaurant or retail that can come and go much easier.
Well I live down there and I've never seen a movie there either.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I guess its hard for me to call something that is barely used a loss.

57K SF of office could bring a few hundred more people down there from 9-5 and help the lunch spots.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I guess its hard for me to call something that is barely used a loss.

57K SF of office could bring a few hundred more people down there from 9-5 and help the lunch spots.
I get what you are saying but then that goes to why was it barely used?

Was it not enough people in the area
Parking that people were not happy with
Too difficult to get to and from
Not enough to do before or after a movie
bad theater layout
Too expensive

I really have no idea but on the surface this seems like something that should have worked.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

nebugeater wrote: I get what you are saying but then that goes to why was it barely used?
A few opinions:

Seats - Unless you were in the balcony of the first theater (where they had comfy leather seats), sitting in the CineDine seating was basically like sitting in an office chair at a countertop. Not a great experience. Also, the "regular" seats were only the first few rows, the ones so close that people only sat there as a last resort. As other Marcus theaters were adding DreamLounger seats, the already bad seating was even more of a turn off.

Food - Originally the theater had typical concessions fare and full-service meal options. The full-service food was just OK and overpriced, and in the last year or so they killed off the traditional concession stand (including the Marcus pretzel bites which are my FAVORITE!)

Parking - Midtown offers 3 hours free garage parking. If you just go to the movie that's fine. Go to a restaurant then a movie, and you're in paid parking territory. And we all know Omahans do NOT pay for parking, even if it's only a buck or two. Also, there's no great way to get from the garage to the theater directly. See above: Omahans also hate walking from parking.

Price - Originally the theater was priced at a premium. They quickly fell in line, but possibly after too many people had already written it off as the "expensive" theater.

I will also say the last few times I was there on Marcus's $5 Tuesday, the balcony seating (only place I would choose to sit) was overrun by parents who brought their too-young children and let them run up and down the aisles. The kids were too young for a PG-13 or R rated movie and the parents made no effort to keep them quiet.

I agree Alamo Drafthouse could have been a great success here. It has enough of a premium offering and caters to movie buffs to make it a destination. The Marcus theater, though, was just a small, mediocre experience with some significant drawbacks.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I guess its hard for me to call something that is barely used a loss.

bad theater layout
Too expensive

I really have no idea but on the surface this seems like something that should have worked.
Someone is not going to drive to midtown to see a movie and if there are enough people living near the theater, there's just so much else to do in that part of town that a movie doesn't seem as appealing.
#gohawks
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per KETV Channel 7:
Movie theater space at Midtown Crossing is for lease

Developers market Marcus Cinema space as office space
KETV NewsWatch 7's efforts to reach Midtown Crossing, CBRE and Marcus Theaters have been unsuccessful.
http://www.ketv.com/article/movie-theat ... se/9089865

I think KETV reads "Omaha Forums" :D
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have been to one movie here and quite a few screenings of Creighton basketball before they were in the Big East and all their games were on tv. I can echo the sentiment that sitting in the seats was an awful experience. If you tried to rest back in your seat, you couldn't even see the bottom of the movie screen. I remember paying $15-16 for a bland pizza with a ton of grease.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

the movie going experience became awful really quick there. At first, the Cinedine was a novelty and people went out of their way to go there. But, those office chairs were horrid and as time went on became more and more uncomfortable with wear. Marcus then renovated all of their other theaters with better seating. The food was mediocre at best...Then, Alamo Drafthouse opened with better food and drinks at cheaper prices. A much better atmosphere too. It's closer to more people that are inclined to spend money on entertainment. I pretty much entirely go to Alamo these days. Maybe AMC Oak View when I want to be cheap, but that's about it. Rarely, Twin Creek and even rarer AkSarBen. I think I was at mid town for a movie once in the last 3 years.

I won't miss this place.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Yeah, it really seems like they bet on Cine-dine and should have bet on lounge chairs.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Fate of Marcus’ Midtown Cinema still uncertain, but its box-office numbers trail other Omaha theaters
Of the 10 first-runs in the metro area, Midtown Cinema typically has the lowest box-office performance each weekend, according to comScore, an industry service that tracks exhibitor performance. The Midtown theater also has the fewest screens.

According to comScore, Marcus’ own Majestic, at 144th Street and West Maple Road, and Twin Creek in Bellevue make up more than 50 percent of sales in the movie theater market each weekend. They’re followed by AMC’s Bluffs 17 and Marcus’ Village Pointe.

From there, AMC’s Oak View, Aksarben Cinema and Alamo Drafthouse compete for a top 5 spot.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

skinzfan23 wrote:Fate of Marcus’ Midtown Cinema still uncertain, but its box-office numbers trail other Omaha theaters
Of the 10 first-runs in the metro area, Midtown Cinema typically has the lowest box-office performance each weekend, according to comScore, an industry service that tracks exhibitor performance. The Midtown theater also has the fewest screens.

According to comScore, Marcus’ own Majestic, at 144th Street and West Maple Road, and Twin Creek in Bellevue make up more than 50 percent of sales in the movie theater market each weekend. They’re followed by AMC’s Bluffs 17 and Marcus’ Village Pointe.

From there, AMC’s Oak View, Aksarben Cinema and Alamo Drafthouse compete for a top 5 spot.
Funny to think that just a few short years ago Majestic/20 Grand was the one scraping the bottom. Just goes to show what a good renovation can do
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

We used to go there quite often, but like most have said the food went down hill. The seats were comfortable unless you were on the upper level. The issue with that was there was a small TV Tray-like area that barely fit a plate. As for movies, they did not show many of the new release. (mostly kid films) We have 2 kids and used to go there for movies but they stopped showing all the major ones so we continued to go to AMC CB. Parking wasn't bad at MTC for us but other theaters are closer so nothing to go out of our way for.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

buildomaha wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

bad theater layout
Too expensive

Someone is not going to drive to midtown to see a movie and if there are enough people living near the theater, there's just so much else to do in that part of town that a movie doesn't seem as appealing.
My thoughts exactly, I was living right there practically and never watched a movie, ever... except at Turner Park.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pickleman’s to Open at Midtown Crossing
Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – The midtown Omaha lunch crowd will soon have another quick and affordable “go to” dining spot. Pickleman’s Gourmet Café is announcing plans to open shop in Midtown Crossing,

An upscale, fast-casual sandwich shop, Pickleman’s menu also includes freshly-prepared, all-natural pizzas, soups and salads. The signature fare, made with high-quality ingredients, is served in a comfortable, friendly environment.

The Midtown Crossing location marks five locations in seven years for local franchisee Alex Harrington.

“In selecting any location, I like to spend a lot of time in the area to understand the vibe; see if it’s bustling and if people are excited to be there,” Harrington said. “We found the great neighborhood feel and true community focus we were looking for in Midtown Crossing.”

Founded in 2005 in Columbia, Missouri, Pickleman’s is something of a family business for Harrington. He met his wife, Catherine, at Pickleman’s. His brother, Doug Strizel, serves as the franchisor.

Harrington says he looks forward to becoming a midtown lunch staple by “getting to know customers on a first name basis – and more importantly, by what they order when they come in.”

Pickleman's is set to open its Midtown Crossing location in mid-summer at 3201 Farnam St, Suite 6104. The shop will also offer delivery and catering services.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Ray's Original Buffalo Wings is also moving to MTC. They will replace Saints Pub + Patio.

Restaurant serving Buffalo wings, beer to replace Saints Pub + Patio in Midtown Crossing
Omaha World-Herald wrote:A restaurant serving Buffalo wings and beer will open at Midtown Crossing this summer.

Ray’s Original Buffalo Wings will replace Saints Pub + Patio, which will close Saturday. Ray’s hopes to open in the space by early June, in time for the College World Series.

Owner Ray Bullock grew up in Buffalo, New York, home of the Buffalo wing. Bullock and his family operated a restaurant under the same name in Ralston until the early 2000s. The business now sells wings out of the Lemon Drop Bar & Grill near 36th and T Streets.

In addition to chicken wings, served in 10 flavors, Ray’s will feature other Buffalo specialties, including “beef on a weck” sandwiches — thinly sliced roast beef, steeped in au jus, served on a kummelweck roll — and Chiavetta’s marinated chicken breasts grilled over an open flame.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:The Women's Center for Advancement building was just sold to 3805 Harney LLC for $2M

I missed this:

Women’s Center for Advancement buys new HQ in Blackstone District, tripling the organization's space
Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Mutual, under an entity called Turner Park North LLC, for three years has been assembling and clearing parcels east of its corporate headquarters and Midtown Crossing, on both sides of Farnam Street. Mutual developed Midtown Crossing.

The insurance giant does not plan to extend its footprint by developing the swath that now includes the WCA building, said Ken Cook, who heads Mutual’s real estate arm. Rather, its intent is to create an attractive slate for a developer to come in and reshape into a business park or commercial campus.
A Site Plan has been submitted to the 3 story building just south of the new Dundee Bank in the Blackstone District. It looks like that is where WCA is moving, and looks like they are getting ready for Remodel Plans on that site, so WCA may be moving out soon, paving the way for this building's removal...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I received this towards the end of last month but forgot to post.
RETAIL LEASING UPDATE – At a glance:

Regarding occupancy, we’re right at that 92-93% mark. Omaha’s average retail vacancy is at 8% per Xceligent and Loopnet, so we’re right on par.
This summer, we’ve welcomed four new retailers. They include:
· Della Costa
· Proof
· Ray’s Wings
· Pickleman’s

Generally speaking, retail is in the midst of a revolution – the Amazon Effect. As online sales are impacting bricks and mortar, successful retailers are incorporating experience to their spaces. Consumers want to feel connections and not always just ‘have stuff.’ We have some excellent examples of “experience marketing” right here at Midtown Crossing. Some include:
· Provisions incorporating classes into the dining experience
· CRAVE offering free cotton candy and bounce back coupons during Monday Night at the Movies
· Dog-friendly patio dining

Theater
Opened in Nov. 2009 as Omaha’s first premier CineDine concept of in-theater dining with tableside service, Marcus Midtown Cinema has seen numerous in-theater dining concepts sprouting up throughout the Omaha region in recent years. A proven operator for more than 8 years, we greatly appreciate the role Marcus Midtown has played as a key anchor at Midtown Crossing. At the same time, however, we are mindful, cognizant and aware of the ever-changing demand demographic in midtown Omaha and will continue to be focused on the needs of this rapidly-changing neighborhood. We are currently testing the market demand for professional office space at Midtown Crossing. If sufficient demand for office use exists at rental rates that yield better returns than a cinema operation, then a decision whether or not to close the cinema will be made. No decision has been made at this time and we are exploring various tenant options.

As Omaha’s only true live-work-play community, we’re appealing to all three segments of our communities
· live – residents’ needs are met with the mix of services and retailers
· work - more than 50,000 people work in a one-mile of Midtown and can fit in a workout over lunch, walk over to happy hour, etc
· play - events in the park that hit the overall Omaha community

The biggest happening outside of Midtown Crossing but still ‘midtown’ may be the opening of the Cancer Center. This has brought 1,200 health care professionals to the area. Our marketing team is working hard to market to these individuals as well as to individuals in the more than 38 new apartment complexes and developments throughout the area.

CONDO SALES UPDATE – At a glance:

To date, we have sold over $50M worth of condos
Our sales are up almost 40% from just three years ago
While we’ve had relatively few resales, average annual appreciation of Midtown Crossing condos is substantially greater than other area developments.

· We see a healthy condo market as people are moving to a more urban environment and understanding the value of home ownership
· We have a mix of Empty Nesters and Young Professionals. As you know, our Condo Owners are those who are professionals and who understand the value of living in a healthy mixed-use development where they can walk to eat, shop and live.
· Our lifestyle is what brings people to Midtown Crossing. Free Parking, concerts, yoga in the park, movies in the park, Prairie Life Fitness, a well-known grocer, etc.
· Some of our residents give up a car when they move here. It’s a walkable community. Easy and safe to get around.
· We are extremely dog-friendly – in fact, more than 30 percent of our residents have dogs!

AREA APARTMENT INFORMATION – At a glance:

Highlights – midtown Omaha

- 150+ new units in 2016
- About that many in 2017
- 236 currently under construction
- 90% occupancy…still new properties leasing up. Market average is 94-95%
- $1050/unit average rent

38 new apartment buildings in the area which shows growth and interest in the urban core!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

There is a ton of spin to that press release.

No way that occupancy is at 90%. Just a walk through MTC makes it pretty clear based on the number of open bays. Unless they are saying that 90% of the square footage is occupied. I could buy that considering how much room is taken up by the theater and the grocery store. Still, the open bays are plentiful.

They've never had a problem filling bays. They've had a problem keeping them filled. I've heard that potential tenants have continued to receive sweetheart deals to set up shop, but often flee when the discounted/free rent ends.

I"ve also heard that Wohlners has been heavily subsidized to continue to maintain operations there. This doesn't shock me as their prices are high. I know a couple of people that live in MTC and they do not do their grocery shopping at Wholners. They go to Bakers on Leavenworth unless it's an emergency.

It's good to see new businesses going in, but I will feel better about it if they can show some longevity at those locations.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

last i saw the pickleman's bay had one of those cute "oops! you didn't pay your utilities!" stickers on the door from OPPD...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

justnick wrote:last i saw the pickleman's bay had one of those cute "oops! you didn't pay your utilities!" stickers on the door from OPPD...
Pickleman's hasn't even opened yet, wonder if its leftover from Lenny's?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I know what they're trying to say, but I do find it funny.
"Highlights include apartments that cost more than most home mortgages in the city"

FYI : A loan for $220,000 at 4% for 30 years comes out to be about $1050 per month.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
"Highlights include apartments that cost more than most home mortgages in the city"

FYI : A loan for $220,000 at 4% for 30 years comes out to be about $1050 per month.
Then add the Property tax for that 220+K home and the property insurance which will be sizable more than the renters insurance for your belongings and you widen the gap pretty fast.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Then add the Property tax for that 220+K home and the property insurance which will be sizable more than the renters insurance for your belongings and you widen the gap pretty fast.
So you're all for $1000+ apartments all over town?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

So you're all for $1000+ apartments all over town?
Nope, just pointing out the comparison is not apples to apples.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:apples to apples
They probably have that game at Spielbound.
omaha79 wrote:I"ve also heard that Wohlners has been heavily subsidized to continue to maintain operations there.
Subsidized how? I'm assuming low rent?