Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:apples to apples
They probably have that game at Spielbound.
Just to help you out since it appears you do not know the meaning of a common phrase

apples to apples
phrase of apple
NORTH AMERICAN
used with reference to a comparison regarded as valid because it concerns two things that are fundamentally the same.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Highlights – midtown Omaha
- $1050/unit average rent
I know what they're trying to say, but I do find it funny.
"Highlights include apartments that cost more than most home mortgages in the city"

FYI : A loan for $220,000 at 4% for 30 years comes out to be about $1050 per month.
Before they were able to sell many of the condos, they used to rent them out as apartments as they filled up quick and had a waiting list. For years, I lived above Cantina Laredo, and the rent was $1500 for a 1 bedroom. I didnt want to buy a house at the time nor did i want to rent a house either. There were many people in units renting for over 2K a month.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Just to help you out since it appears you do not know the meaning of a common phrase

apples to apples
phrase of apple
NORTH AMERICAN
used with reference to a comparison regarded as valid because it concerns two things that are fundamentally the same.
I guess you've never heard of Spielbound. It is a business located very near to Midtown Crossing at 33rd and Harney. It's a place to hangout and play board games.
http://spielbound.com/
Apples to Apples is a game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_to_Apples
The game and the place are pretty cool and worth checking out if you're in the Midtown Crossing area.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

apples to apples
phrase of apple
NORTH AMERICAN
I guess you've never heard of Spielbound. It is a business located very near to Midtown Crossing at 33rd and Harney. It's a place to hangout and play board games.
http://spielbound.com/
Apples to Apples is a game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_to_Apples
The game and the place are pretty cool and worth checking out if you're in the Midtown Crossing area.
Believe me... I get it....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ray's Original Buffalo Wings has their Grand Opening Celebration this weekend.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

justnick wrote:last i saw the pickleman's bay had one of those cute "oops! you didn't pay your utilities!" stickers on the door from OPPD...
wasn't there before. they did this to the fuel kitchen place too. kept saying "opening soon!" then one day OPPD and MUD posted papers saying their utilities were shut off and a week later they took those full window stickers down
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Couple Jazz on the Green Photos.

1. Jazz on the Green 7/6/2017:

2. Jazz on the Green 8/3/2017:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Really like the second one with the clouds. ..... not that the first is bad :;):
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Couple Jazz on the Green Photos.

1. Jazz on the Green 7/6/2017:

2. Jazz on the Green 8/3/2017:
I really, really love your work Brad.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Awesome shots! Is that second one HDR?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Really like the second one with the clouds. ..... not that the first is bad :;):
MadMartin8 wrote:I really, really love your work Brad.
MTO wrote:Awesome shots! Is that second one HDR?
Thanks guys! MTO, they both are.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
omaha79 wrote:I"ve also heard that Wohlners has been heavily subsidized to continue to maintain operations there.
Subsidized how? I'm assuming low rent?
subsidized as in essentially free rent and paying them to remain open.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTC is changing the parking to make it so you have to validate your parking for you to get the free three hours. They did mention they would still raise the arms for bigger events though but that is would be at their discretion.
We will continue to “raise the arm” in the garage (*on a case-by-case basis) at the end of our major concerts and festivals to minimize congestion. Please note, it is up to the discretion of Midtown Crossing when and how long to raise the arm.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Please note, it is up to the discretion of Midtown Crossing when and how long to raise the arm.
I sure hope the arm is raised long enough for my car to get out. :shock:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pickleman's is putting $122k into their new bay.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Salvation Army to Partner with Midtown Crossing on Rooftop Skating Rink
Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – Midtown Crossing and The Salvation Army are elevating family fun and philanthropy this winter with an exhilarating new attraction – The Rooftop Rink at Midtown Crossing, presented by The Salvation Army.

The 60’ x 80’ rink, bleachers, fire pits and food vendors will transform a rooftop near Wohler’s Neighborhood Grocery & Deli into an avenue for activity, togetherness and outreach from December 1 through February 28. Admission (including skate rental) is a minimum donation of $5. All proceeds benefit the important work of presenting sponsor The Salvation Army.

The elevated location is innovative – so is the rink – an all-weather “synthetic ice” surface. Hours of operation will be announced at a later date.

“This is our answer to the ‘winter blahs’ – all the way – a family-friendly experience like no other in Omaha, exercise everyone can enjoy and delicious food on-site from our Midtown Crossing restaurants. The best part? We’re touching the lives of the less fortunate in our community,” said Molly Skold, Midtown Crossing’s vice-president of marketing and communications.

“We absolutely love Turner Park for our summer events, but we saw an opportunity here to really up our game. The Rooftop Rink is going to be pure fun that matches the energy, vibrancy and excitement that we’re seeing throughout midtown. We look forward to welcoming big crowds to the rooftop!” Skold added.

“The Salvation Army is honored to partner with Midtown Crossing in one of the most dynamic neighborhoods in Omaha,” said Major Greg Thompson, Divisional Commander for The Salvation Army Western Division. “We are thrilled this opportunity will offer Metro residents a greater awareness and understanding of the poverty issues that plague our community, so that local residents, our nonprofit partners, and The Salvation Army can work together to better meet the needs of the people we serve.”

The Salvation Army’s nine locations in the Metro area serve nearly 100,000 men, women, and children each year, providing food, housing, material assistance, behavioral health services, youth development, older adult services and escape from human trafficking. Two-thirds of The Salvation Army’s Omaha metro budget is derived from private sources, and 87 cents of every dollar directly funds human needs in Omaha.

Winter is in the air at Midtown Crossing. For more information, please visit http://www.rooftoprink.org/.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I love how they're calling it a "Rooftop" as opposed to the top level of a parking garage.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Wonder if this will go in Three Dog Bakery's old storefront.

http://www.midtowncrossing.com/news/mid ... -pet-food/
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Got the ice skating rink setup and ready to go:
IMG-1184.jpg
IMG-1184.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Opens Saturday, till February.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:Opens Saturday, till February.
It’s going to be delayed now. Due to demand they are going to tear it all down and move it to 3409 Farnam, just west of Mutual of Omaha Bank.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Maybe the demand was created b/c it was on the roof?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Maybe the demand was created b/c it was on the roof?
Definitely a lot better than hidden in a construction zone...
#gohawks
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Just got home and most of it is gone now. You'd think they would have known this wasn't going to work.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Just got home and most of it is gone now. You'd think they would have known this wasn't going to work.

I heard the real reason is that the top of the parking garage they had it on was uneven. Not suitable for skating.

Greg
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Greg S wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Just got home and most of it is gone now. You'd think they would have known this wasn't going to work.

I heard the real reason is that the top of the parking garage they had it on was uneven. Not suitable for skating.

Greg
That would make sense. The whole demand thing sounded like a BS excuse.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
Yeah, but instead of uneven, which they would have known upon setup, I'm wondering (pure speculation) if there was some sort of last minute code inspection they failed.... Like a temporary occupancy permit of some sort. I could see them blaming "demand" if an inspector said they didn't have sufficient fire exit pathways for the expected crowd.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
Maybe they unknowingly created a giant sized version of the Miracle Thaw and the ice was always melting. I got nothing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Ben wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
Yeah, but instead of uneven, which they would have known upon setup, I'm wondering (pure speculation) if there was some sort of last minute code inspection they failed.... Like a temporary occupancy permit of some sort. I could see them blaming "demand" if an inspector said they didn't have sufficient fire exit pathways for the expected crowd.

Nope my sources were pretty clear it was the issue with the floor being uneven. Those in charge did not understand with synthetic how much of an impact it would have not having a completely flat surface.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:
Ben wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg

Nope my sources were pretty clear it was the issue with the floor being uneven. Those in charge did not understand with synthetic how much of an impact it would have not having a completely flat surface.

Greg
That makes sense. The top deck of parking garages that are exposed to the elements typically are designed with enough slope to drain-off rain water from storms and snow as it melts. If they used a real water/ice skate rink, they could build dams to contain the water and the top of the surface of the ice would naturally self-level. I wasn't aware they were using a synthetic surface. Skating on even a slightly sloped surface would be more dangerous too, I would guess.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

We went skating here and left after 10 minutes to the rink at Capital. Synthetic is no where near real ice. We were told upon leaving that the company states it will feel like real ice after 2-3 weeks of continued use
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

Delice in is now closed. Pretty ominous for midtown crossing, these days.
http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/dining-n ... 41f5b.html
skers5xnc
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skers5xnc »

Delice has a new tenant taking over the space with a very similar concept. I have also heard a couple of other announcements are in the wings, one has been signed the other is about to be.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

skers5xnc wrote:Delice has a new tenant taking over the space with a very similar concept. I have also heard a couple of other announcements are in the wings, one has been signed the other is about to be.
What? NOOOO! I loved Delice. So sad. They had the best Dessert. We would drive from Elkhorn to just get Dessert there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mutual of Omaha puts Element hotel up for sale amid hot market
100 potential buyers have signed agreements allowing them to look at the hotel’s finances and consider bids, he said. The hotel might bring $20 million.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:Mutual of Omaha puts Element hotel up for sale amid hot market
100 potential buyers have signed agreements allowing them to look at the hotel’s finances and consider bids, he said. The hotel might bring $20 million.
Perhaps beginning to secure some financing for the new office building.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

The hot dog place is closing RIP
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

justnick wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm The hot dog place is closing RIP
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

When I lived down there, every time I went there, it was pretty much empty. It seemed like it did better out at 108th and Maple.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:03 pm When I lived down there, every time I went there, it was pretty much empty. It seemed like it did better out at 108th and Maple.
That was my experience as well, not many customers. Good brats though.