Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maybe Jazz needs its own Thread by now...

Jazz on the Green: Get yourself swinging with Rat Pack Jazz
OWH wrote:Johnny Adams and Ron Cooley have performed across the country on their own projects and as part of Chip Davis' Mannheim Steamroller. Joining them will be vocalist Susie Thorne.
IF YOU GO

» Jazz on the Green is free and open to the public.
» Seating in the center bowl of Turner Park opens at 5 p.m., and the concert will begin at 7:30 p.m.
» Blankets, chairs, beer, wine and Champagne are allowed in the park.
» Tents, stakes, open flames and hard liquor are not allowed in the park.
» Pets are allowed but must be on a leash at all times. And you must clean up after your pet.

PARKING

Garage parking is accessible from 33rd and Farnam Streets as well as 33rd and Harney Streets and is free for the first three hours. Each hour after is $1 per hour up to a maximum of $6.
Mutual of Omaha surface lots and parking garages are free and open to the public beginning at 5 p.m. Street parking is also available. Farnam Court also offers valet parking for $5.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Is Parmida closing?  I saw someone on the street the other day holding one of those closeout 50-70% off signs that you always see when places are closing.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

iamjacobm wrote:Is Parmida closing?  I saw someone on the street the other day holding one of those closeout 50-70% off signs that you always see when places are closing.
Maybe making way for fall/winter items, but who knows they never seem busy and i never found anything in there that great :/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Is Parmida closing?  I saw someone on the street the other day holding one of those closeout 50-70% off signs that you always see when places are closing.
Maybe making way for fall/winter items, but who knows they never seem busy and i never found anything in there that great :/
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130824/M ... rner-moves
Parmida store closes

Parmida Home Lifestyle Store in Midtown Crossing has closed, said Molly Skold, spokeswoman for Midtown Crossing.

The store's closing is reportedly part of a multistore closure by the Dallas-based furnishings and home decor retailer, Skold said.

The store sold Indonesian furniture, dinnerware, wine and cheese accessories, coffee and tea and gifts.

The company's website, parmidahome.com, could not be accessed Friday. The phone at the Omaha store was not being answered. Company officials could not be reached for comment.

Parmida, at 200 S. 31st Ave., opened at Midtown Crossing in late 2011.

Skold said the retail space has already drawn a potential tenant. “We have a letter of intent,” Skold said, but she declined to provide details.
Sounds like whole company issues if the website is down.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This whole time, I thought you guys were talking about PAMIDA, like the small town grocery stores. Silly me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131016/G ... storefront
The midtown restaurant will open a new storefront called The Grey Plume Provisions, said chef and owner Clayton Chapman said

The new shop will sell the restaurant's coffee, charcuterie, jams, preserves and mustard, among other items. The shop will also sell the ceramic serving pieces used at the restaurant.
Plume Provisions is across the street and three doors down from The Grey Plume, next door to Chef2 in Midtown Crossing.

Chapman anticipated the mixed use space will open in the spring.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Midtown Crossing is set to welcome two exciting, new boutiques – Me & Me and The Ugly Sister Boutique – to its vibrant retail mix.
Boasting “cutting-edge styles from New York and Los Angeles,” Me & Me will shift into its Midtown Crossing location later this month. Owner Lisa Smith said she is thrilled to be making the move from her current spot in west Omaha.
The Ugly Sister Boutique specializes in quirky gifts, one of a kind “wow factor” jewelry, trendy fashions and handbangs

http://midtowncrossing.com/news/two-new ... -crossing/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Second West O business moving to MTC this fall.  These two additions will also nearly fill up the south side of Farnam retail.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I think Me & Me was in Village Pointe too, next to Paradise and the Funny Bone. That is a very telling shift.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Axel wrote:I think Me & Me was in Village Pointe too, next to Paradise and the Funny Bone. That is a very telling shift.
Astronomical rent vs next to nothing rent I'm guessing.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/mid ... index.html
Skold said the Midtown team sold $7.5 million of condos this year, meeting their yearly sales goal in March.

“Five hundred total residences and we're about 90 percent filled up,” Skold said.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/mid ... index.html
Skold said the Midtown team sold $7.5 million of condos this year, meeting their yearly sales goal in March.

“Five hundred total residences and we're about 90 percent filled up,” Skold said.
Seems like they are going to need to expand soon :)
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

The way things are looking S33's prediction of the next high rise in Omaha very well might be going in Midtown.. If you look at the trend in other large cities most of the tower construction is happening in areas similar to MTC.. 8)
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

Mutual has secretly been collecting properties east of Midtown Crossing.

http://omaha.com/article/20131124/MONEY ... evelopment
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Quietly not really secretly, we've been already talking about this for a while... the main issue being, what do they plan for the Clarinda?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Coyote wrote:Quietly not really secretly, we've been already talking about this for a while... the main issue being, what do they plan for the Clarinda?
Per the graphic in the article they haven't acquired it.  This is exciting and lends credence to the idea floated about earlier that some of the next highrises in the city would be in the Midtown area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Professor Woland wrote:
Coyote wrote:Quietly not really secretly, we've been already talking about this for a while... the main issue being, what do they plan for the Clarinda?
Per the graphic in the article they haven't acquired it.  This is exciting and lends credence to the idea floated about earlier that some of the next highrises in the city would be in the Midtown area.
I had wondered about that also, but I was under the impression they were taking down the N Twin Tower for the view. I guess we can put that idea to rest...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I hope they don't end up demolishing the two structures on the northeast corner of Park and Farnam. They look like they could be very nice with a little rehab work and would fit in well with what they want for the neighborhood.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I hope they don't end up demolishing the two structures on the northeast corner of Park and Farnam. They look like they could be very nice with a little rehab work and would fit in well with what they want for the neighborhood.
We were eating at Godfather's across the street yesterday before the Creighton game and I was thinking the same thing.  Those two buildings definitely have some potential.  I would much rather see buildings like this redeveloped than being torn down for new construction.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maybe the first, but I don't see them considering the second:

MDWLAW13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MDWLAW13 »

So the plan is to tear down all these buildings, including at least two historic buildings, and replace with vacant lots in the hope that someone will develop it?  What could possibly go wrong.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

"The Yard III" "The Yard IV" "The Yard "V" and "The Yard VI"

YAY!
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Twin Towers Condo Assoc, Clarinda, Hudson Investments, Women's Center for Advancement and Romeos, still own land in this area:

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I'm curious if they'd ever develop the other side of the park, and just keep the oval of grass open in the middle.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:I'm curious if they'd ever develop the other side of the park, and just keep the oval of grass open in the middle.
The City of Omaha owns Turner Park.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

MDWLAW13 wrote:So the plan is to tear down all these buildings, including at least two historic buildings, and replace with vacant lots in the hope that someone will develop it?  What could possibly go wrong.
Considering they are doing this for the purpose of spurring development, I think worries that the lots will be used as parking are unfounded, I doubt they would sell them to a developer interested in that sort of thing.  As for the buildings, what makes them historic?  I am not of the mind that every or even the vast majority of old buildings need to be preserved or rehabbed; I guess I could see it for a really great old building but there's nothing about those two that makes me think it would be a tragedy if they were replaced, so long as what replaces them is attractive and functional.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I'm curious if they'd ever develop the other side of the park, and just keep the oval of grass open in the middle.
The City of Omaha owns Turner Park.

Time for some reverse eminent domain!  :lol:
MDWLAW13
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MDWLAW13 »

Professor Woland wrote:
MDWLAW13 wrote:So the plan is to tear down all these buildings, including at least two historic buildings, and replace with vacant lots in the hope that someone will develop it?  What could possibly go wrong.
Considering they are doing this for the purpose of spurring development, I think worries that the lots will be used as parking are unfounded, I doubt they would sell them to a developer interested in that sort of thing.  As for the buildings, what makes them historic?  I am not of the mind that every or even the vast majority of old buildings need to be preserved or rehabbed; I guess I could see it for a really great old building but there's nothing about those two that makes me think it would be a tragedy if they were replaced, so long as what replaces them is attractive and functional.
I said vacant lots, not parking lots.  You think that leveling the entire area and waiting for the developers is a sure thing?  Midtown Crossing has not even filled its own retail space.  There are several empty bays.  Not to mention the fact that Omaha has an over abundance of empty lots in downtown and midtown.  What makes you think this major company they hope to attract will choose one of these lots.  Remember when the Union Pacific building was torn down?  Everyone was so sure that a condo tower was going to be built to take its place.  Here we are several years later and it is still an empty lot.  Omaha has so many empty lots and surface parking lots that it is downright embarrassing.  

There is no reason why these two buildings could not fit into a redevelopment plan.  The age of the buildings makes them historic.  Without taking the time to look them up on the assessors website, I am guessing both of those buildings are over 100 years old.  The quality of the buildings will not be replicated by new construction.  Preservation is about retaining both our culture heritage and the properties that make our city unique.  These buildings are beautiful because of their character - much in the same way the building in the old market are beautiful for their character.  There is certainly no guarantee that what replaces them will be attractive.  I am sure that IF new buildings are constructed they will be functional - but functional how and for who?  The attitude that only exceptional old buildings should be preserved resulted in the destruction of Jobbers Canyon and contributed to the decline of downtowns across the country.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Both buildings were built in 1900 (the one on Farnam was remodeled in 1998)
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

MDWLAW13 wrote: I said vacant lots, not parking lots.  You think that leveling the entire area and waiting for the developers is a sure thing?  Midtown Crossing has not even filled its own retail space.  There are several empty bays.  Not to mention the fact that Omaha has an over abundance of empty lots in downtown and midtown.  What makes you think this major company they hope to attract will choose one of these lots.  Remember when the Union Pacific building was torn down?  Everyone was so sure that a condo tower was going to be built to take its place.  Here we are several years later and it is still an empty lot.  Omaha has so many empty lots and surface parking lots that it is downright embarrassing.  
Omaha isn't unique in that regard. Surface lots are quite common in even the most urban cities in the country there are surface lots, and Chicago is one of them. For a particularly infamous one, look up Block 37. There are surface parking lots allll over the Loop and up off of Michigan Avenue, two of the most premium real estate areas that there are.  It happens a lot when neighborhoods are in transition like this, and it becomes more noticeable when the economy crashes.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
6EQUJ5
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 6EQUJ5 »

While I understand in the preservation of historic structures get over it, find compromise already.. But what I'm taking away from this is that MoO obviously has high expectations for the area and given they've already demonstrated they are serous I see this as most exciting.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm the first to argue saving old buildings, but in this case, I won't feel bad if Mutual fosters redevelopment of that area by replacing some of the old structures there with new construction.  Midtown Crossing shows they can build high-quality architecture that fits the landscape very well, and their investment there motivates them even further to see the surrounding area redevelop in a walkable, urban manner.

I'd have more emotion about demolishing some of the buildings on Farnam east of 480, though.  There are some really cool old structures there, as well as a lot of open space ripe for new construction.  It would be made even more attractive with some 5-10 story structures on the land Mutual is acquiring across the interstate.  We could have a very vibrant corridor, styled a little like Manhattan, with a dense, tall (well, with a few exceptions, ahem) downtown, still dense but lower-rise section, that transitions to a taller commercial Midtown district.  All that would need to top it off would be a streetcar...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'll second that.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If a developer can find an office anchor I think this land could be developed relatively easily.  We all know apartments here would be an easy sell and the retail is filling up at MTC, we could use some cheaper even chain options to help diversify the Farnam Corridor.  The biggest thing would be finding someone that wanted 100K+ SF of office space to anchor the east end of the area, I just don't know how much demand there is for urban office space when you add up the significant space announced for downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Me & Me Boutique Opens at Midtown Crossing
Midtown Crossing wrote:WHAT:      The grand opening of Me & Me Boutique, a west Omaha transplant
that carries a trendy yet sophisticated selection of fashion and
accessories from leading designers. It joins the newly opened Ugly Sister
Boutique in             Midtown Crossing.

WHEN:     Tuesday, November 26 | 11 a.m.

WHERE:    Me & Me Boutique | 3157 Farnam St., next to Chef2

VISUALS:     The excitement surrounding the midtown arrival of Me & Me, a
           local boutique, formerly located in west Omaha, that is eager
           to be part of the midtown resurgence. “It’s alive here at
           Midtown Crossing; it’s on fire,” said owner Lisa Smith. “I
           couldn’t be happier about the timing, as Miracle on Farnam gets
           underway and thousands of people stroll Farnam Street in the
           next several weeks!”
Brad
City Council

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by Brad »

I got a press release this morning that said The Afternoon is closing it's Westroads store to focus on it's thriving Midtown Crossing Location.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I think The Afternoon in Westroads is located where the H&M is going. I would expect a lot of the stores in that location of the mall to relocate somewhere else in the mall or leave the mall entirely.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

lmdramos wrote:I think The Afternoon in Westroads is located where the H&M is going. I would expect a lot of the stores in that location of the mall to relocate somewhere else in the mall or leave the mall entirely.
The Afternoon was offered another space in the mall, but opted to close instead.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
lmdramos wrote:I think The Afternoon in Westroads is located where the H&M is going. I would expect a lot of the stores in that location of the mall to relocate somewhere else in the mall or leave the mall entirely.
The Afternoon was offered another space in the mall, but opted to close instead.
The options they were give were for MUCH smaller locations and a higher cost than they currently had.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!