Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Isn't that why you think they should tear it down, to match the other buildings? That is pry the underlying reason.
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:It's been pretty well accepted that these types of buildings are not significant from an aesthetic standpoint and offer no real advanatges from a functional perspective, either

Whoa!! Please take no offense if this is not the case, but it would appear that you've never taken any kind of architecture or art history courses.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

And with that... we'll all agree to disagree on what the future for this structure should be.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

But we know for sure its going. Ill try and scan the sketch of the area tomorrow.
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Good call, Jeff. I think we all know where we stand.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Do we have any snoops that can get us some pics? uh hem DTO uh hem.... I did some checking and couldn't find anything. It looks like MoO is sharing details of their plans with chamber members but not with the general population.
Developer Keith Bawolek with ECI Investment Advisors, Inc. shared schematic designs of the re-development area that is anticipated to include an expanded Turner Park, along with retail space, apartments and condos, as well as new parking spaces. Bawolek envisions people who live in this area able to get everything they need within walking distance.
http://www.omahachamber.org/news/NewsDe ... oryID=7897

oh and just because I can't resist a little flame. Good points JHuston and streets. The building should be saved and not just so it can be glossed over to fit in. Different architecture and periods are what separates the villages pointes from the old markets. I have come to appreciate the architecture that came out directly after WWII. Call them Stalinist but I like them and like it or not they are built to last and do represent a period of history. Sorry couldn't resist.

Now does anyone have access to any renderings of east campus? They seem to be somewhat public.........oooh and does anyone have an extra $200 Grand lying around so I can start buying up properties to the south. I'll pay you back in two years once I double my money.

Here are some links to ECI's website. They are working with MoO on this project.

http://www.eciadvisors.com/pages/12/index.htm

http://www.eciadvisors.com/images/Midto ... tunity.pdf
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Did anyone else see this from that chamber article?

"Prior to Mutual's presentation, David G. Brown, Chamber president and CEO, gave the economic development quarterly update and compared this year's activities against 2005. Brown also reported on the progress of the Nebraska Advantage Act. Just five months since the package went into effect, the State of Nebraska has received applications from 38 companies creating nearly 5,400 jobs and investing more than $2.6 billion in the state."

:shock: :D

Sounds like good news there.
chillywilly
New to the Neighborhood

Post by chillywilly »

the1wags wrote:The blight tag gets approval from the planning board, 6-0. Now just needs City council approval.

"The area for which the designation is sought is generally bound by Dodge Street and Woolworth Avenue, from Interstate 480 to 33rd Street.

Once the area is labeled as "blighted and substandard," developers with projects costing more than $250,000 qualify for incentives such as tax-increment financing."

Link to the full World Herald article.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=5858186

Great news for potential midtown development.
Any news? Has city council approved this yet?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum chillywilly. :D

As for the Mutual project, I'm not sure where things stand at this time... hopefully one of our members who's closer to the situation will chime in.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Yes. the area has been declared blighted.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

As far as I know they've still told us everything's moving along. I think they said they would even start construction this year, but I don't know if that was delayed because of the blight tag not passing right away.
DTO
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

DTO, have they posted any updated schematics or drawings of the project??
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Possible big news!

I just got back from lunch and there are a few city officials (no Mayor) standing around in the lobby and it looks like they are setting up for some sort of speech. One of the guys I know is the cities planning director. Hopefully it has something to do with the lots.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Act like you left something in your car and go back down there.....
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah git-r-dun
15-17, 26, 32
drone
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drone »

Heard some things about this project from a reliable source and I would like to pass on some tidbits:

1. On the east side of 33rd between Farnam and Dodge will be a parking structure that has one level above ground and two levels below ground. This parking "structure" as it was relayed to me would be a thin structure along 33rd.

2. The buildings would be east of the parking (which would be used for tenants and condo owners). As somewhat depicted in the renderings the buildings would be laid out in a semi circle and would be accessible to the parking structure underground and maybe even someday to the main Mutual building I assume.

3. The buildings would be situated in the semi circle manner so as to surround an expanded Turner Park, which from what I was told will become a real gem for midtown Omaha. The buildings which may be either apartments/condos (not sure which yet or maybe a mix) will have a stunning view of what will be an awesome urban park.

4. Transportation wise, as stated previously, it is desired that Farnam and Harney be converted to two way traffic. There is also some discussion that left hand turns on Dodge may be enable via a similar set up as the 42nd St. intersection or the east UNO entrance on Dodge.

5. The new tidbit that is being discussed is Mutual wanting to acquire or in the process of acquiring the land on east of their South building that is bound by Turner Blvd., about 32nd Av. and then Farnam and Harney. (It is the area where House of Lee is if that helps). At this location, Mutual desires a movie theater at ground level and more apts. or condos above that. Mutual is also in discussions with National Indemnity to acquire a parking lot used by NI and together building a parking structure that would be used by NI employees in the day and movie goers/shoppers at night.

Also, DTO Luv is correct in this thread in stating that the old hotel property should be demolished. As he has correctly stated no historic or architectural value that won't be replaced with something better. And I can add anyone who has been in the building would agree. Only the rats will lose on that demolition. Also, StreetsofOmaha where were you win the architecturally significant Travel Inn was tore down?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thanks for the information you were able to relay about the MoO condo project.

[edit] appreciated.
Last edited by almighty_tuna on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

drone wrote: Also, StreetsofOmaha where were you win the architecturally significant Travel Inn was tore down?
Haha...good one. :?

Welcome to the forum.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That would be cool if Mutual bought that lot to the east of the South building and did something with it. From on top of the garage you see how much of a big empty space they have to work with. A movie theater would be awesome.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I have no problem with them buying most of that land and redeveloping it as long as that church on the corner of Harney St. and Turner Blvd. is preserved!
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

Yes the church should stay.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The First Unitarian Church? Has there been some suggestion that it's fate is in question? That's one structure I would definitely lay down in front of a bulldozer, alongside Aaron :) , to save.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow that would be an awesome video. Aaron and Jeff being arrested.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That church reminds me of all the little ones you see over Boston.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, it looks like every building in Annapolis.

-Big E
Stable genius.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I can't imagine its going anywhere. Seems like it would be incredibly bad PR.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Then again, there are other representative churches around town. I don't see why it wouldn't make a nice fountain or parking lot.... ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

If we're going to get rid of a church, I'd rather it be that one on Dodge right across from UNO (not St. Margaret Mary's, but that Lutheran one witht he terrible 60's architecture). Or at least get rid of that parking lot.

If there was ever an area that should be mixed use midrise with ground floor retail, it's right there.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

In regards to saving this church and its architectural signifigance, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the interior yet. I believe this is the one that has pretty much an exclusively white interior. Its beautiful...looks like the entire interior is made out of ivory or something. I'm feel fairly confident though that this church isn't going anywhere. I think there would be a backlash like none other if that were the case.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Then again, there are other representative churches around town. I don't see why it wouldn't make a nice fountain or parking lot....
Because it is more than an insignificant brick box or flop house that some strive to preserve.
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

good news

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Well, its nice to hear things are moving along. As most of you know I purchased a condo unit at Park Plaza. I purchased it thinking this mutual project should shoot the value up a decent amount.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DEMOLITION TO BEGIN!

We recieved an email today that our Emergency evacutation spots in the east parking lots have been moved to the west lots, due to work being started on the East Campus. Hopefully we'll hear something more soon.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

How exciting! Thanks for the inside scoop D'Shawn!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice D'Shawn..Great inside scoop!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I can't wait to see this development, and D'Shawn - from your window will you be able to photo-journal this project? or find a window to document this development?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah I can see this from pretty much anywhere. That will be one thing I'll greatly miss if I get another job in the next few weeks. :(
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Mutual of Omaha/East Campus Development Project specs!..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I have a friend (actually one of my best friends) who holds a high end management position at Mutual of Omaha..Each month, MofO has a monthly executive managment meeting..And the one they had yesterday Spills the beans on the SPECS of the MofO project that they call the 'East Campus Development Project'..This project is even bigger and better than previously imagined..My friend called me on my cell early this morining and gave me the details..He also wanted me to share this with the eomaha forum..Some of this info we may already know about in general..The specifics and time frames I'm about to mention..No..

Here goes-

-The total cost of this project will be $243 million..MofO will contribute $25 million of that and ALL of the land (they've also purchased land east down Farnam St around Turner Park including the KFC etc)..

-The project will encompass 1 million square feet of space consisting of condo and commercial development..

-The restaurants/retail named coming to Omaha for this project are as follows (thus far): Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Maggie Moo's, Starbucks, a 7 screen movie theatre (4 companies are bidding for it) and MUCH more. My friend will provide me more detail on the additional restaurant/retail because he stated there is much more than that..

-The condo units will be designed with the business professional in mind..But should appeal to a wide cross section of folks..

-The timeline: Land clearance will start later this month..The project construction start date will be spring of 2007 with final completion to be 24 months from then (spring/summer 2009)..

I may get additional SPECS on this project..And if so, will post them here as soon as I can..

I know there is a separate thread dedicated to this project, but this news is SO huge, I thought it warrented a fresh thread of it's own for discussion (sorry Brad :wink: )..

Once again, eomaha.com scoops the W-H, and other Omaha media outlets :) ..

Hopefully, more info to follow..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's |expletive| awesome! This whole development will cost nearly as much as the Qwest Center. 1,000,000 sq. ft. for comparison is equal to the UP Center. It will be cool to see when final renderings come out. It's hard to picture that much on that small a site. A

Take that gain OWH. :P
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Re: Mutual of Omaha/East Campus Development Project specs!..

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: -The timeline: Land clearance will start later this month.
That echos what I heard yesterday about them closing the parking lots. This is nothing short of amazing. It will actually start next year.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Exactly D'Shawn..And yes..Construction begins spring of 2007!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!