Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

These were taken from 9 stories up and it shows how massive this project will really be since all of it will be filled in.

These are from the big boards under the Dome showing the overall site of the project and some more renderings that I haven't seen other places.

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That seems as if it'll be pretty nice when its completed. Nice pics, DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I can't believe how much of a waste those parking lots are. Thank god that mutual realized how much potential the are had. At this point are these just conceptual renderings or actual renderings of what is actually going in?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Conceptual.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

These renderings look great! Nice architecture, mid-rise, pedestrain-friendly, fountains, etc. I also like the use of bump-out entrances, curving facades, awnings, balconies and outdoor seating. Notice the curve of the buildings following the roadway and the floor-to-ceiling windows on the top floors!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah thanks DTO for these pics. I think those conceptual drawings kick |expletive|. Go Omaha. :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Here's another perspective on the site. The taller building on the lot is 7 stories and is a residential style building. So just imagine the lots full of fancier longer versions of those.

DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Aren't they converting the building that looks like a dump to affordable condos?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

They are converting Park Plaza to condos but ground level offices will remain.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

If they put a little money into the exterior... I don't think Park Plaza is that bad. Certainly not worth tearing down (unless one of you highrise moguls has a few million with intentions to replace it with something at least as substantial :) ).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think the smaller of the buildings is still used but I'm not totally sure about the bigger one.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

More evidence of the streets changing direction... the City Traffic Trucks have been out on Dodge and Farnam for the last few weeks.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, I was definitely way too negative about this project when it came out. I was in Europe at the time, and it's just so damn easy to be synical about the homeland from there ;) .

Anyway, I'm really, really looking forward to this. It's in one of my favorite neighborhoods, and it's really going to make it come alive.

I love the renderings overlooking Turner Park!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thewink9
New to the Neighborhood

Post by thewink9 »

Now who wants to renovate the north 'Twin Tower'?? (Douglas Street side) :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, the Twin Towers are just begging for a rennovation. I actually like the style of the buildings. If it just got a quality makeover, done the right way, it would be a FANTASTIC moderne condo building.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

To continue the lot discussion I started on another thread...

The lots are undergoing soil test and it will do on for a week or so.

Brad-

Yes Mutual is 100% behind this project. Their have been little updates in our paper to keep everyone up to date on it so I'm sure they are commited. What I really think is happening is a build up to the Mutual Cenntenial in the next few years. When I started here they mentioned that Mutual would have a city wide announcement for it. I don't have a clue what it is though.
DTO
thewink9
New to the Neighborhood

Post by thewink9 »

Any updates on this, Mutual insiders? Anyone know who will be managing the sales of the residential units?
DTO Luv
City Council

Mutual's East Corridor: Moving along

Post by DTO Luv »

The East Corridor is what the Mutual lot devel. is being called now at work. It hasn't been in the media yet but they have begun doing economic feasibility studies to see what the area can support in terms of people, units, retail, and entertainment options. Don't be surprised to see a big urban grocery store here since the Destination Midtown study said there are few open locations left which to build one on. :)
DTO
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks for the tip - that all sounds good. Is there ever any mention about a streetcar by the Mutual folks? The proposed route would run right through the campus.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When I get back to work on Monday I'll dig up the article and see what I can find about rail. At this point I'm thinking it's in some people's minds but not really. I hope they consider it in the feasibility studies they are doing.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

DTO, nice pic :)
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

East Corridor name

Post by Vince Furlong »

DTO -

Why is Mutual calling this the East Corridor?

East because it is east of the Mutual corporate complex?

Corridor because........?

Vince Furlong
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

OK, East makes some sense....

But, Corridor? The most common definition of a corridor is a passageway to something else (amazed at how many definitions that Google has).
This development is supposed to be a destination not a passageway to someplace else. Right now it is a corridor - offering Farnam, Dodge, and Harney as a fast, unattractive way to get in and out of downtown. We need a term that has some more positve, destinaationn-oriented meaning than corridor (please pass that along to your friends at Mutual).

I never understood developers, City officicals, and others using the corridor appellation for branding areas of development. This happens all over the country, but in Omaha, listen to people talk about the North 24th and South 24 Street corridors. I don't think that "corridors" are places people want to visit.

Tall buildings at the Mutual development.....from 2-6 stories or so might be OK. We need the density in Midtown and this size would fit the existing architencture. The main issue will be how well Mutual can blend the new with the historic surroundings....
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

DTO,

I'm sure a lot is still up in the air as people do their research and conduct studies, but is there a tenative timeframe that has been talked about around mutual for the project?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have a print article from work around here somewhere. I think it said in the next two years.
DTO
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Mutual Update

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Anyone hear of any exciting new updates on the Mutual project?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Nothing new to report that I know. I would look for an anouncement to come in the spring or summer about concrete plans.
DTO
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Yes. Hopefully they will CEMENT some things in the coming months.

:lol:

(*taps microphone*) Is this thing on?[/quote]
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Looks like the Mutual thing might really start moving soon. Apparently, the city is thinking about making an entire region around mutual a TIF zone to any developer who is considering the development of a property in excess of $250,000.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2135263
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's awesome. There are so many other little lots around here with so much potential.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Excellent news, this should really jump start the area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This project will do wonders for MTO!
ImageImage
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

For those that might not know, the proposed TIF district is in the red area, and the Mutual project I've made blue.

Lots of potential in the area with some large buildings for sale that would make really good condos or apartments.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm really excited for this area. I've loved it for so long, and am looking forward to all the exciting changes, especially since I just moved to 39th and Farnam.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Post by MrWh1t3 »

I bought a unit at Park Plaza. I am looking forward to this development.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You will have to keep us up to date with photos.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MrWh1t3 wrote:I bought a unit at Park Plaza. I am looking forward to this development.
Looking for a place, how much do units cost for a 3 bedroom if available?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Notice that building in the middle of the second picture is 7 (well maybe 8) levels; now just picture that entire area covered in 6is story building… Now that’s some density.
15-17, 26, 32