Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by Brad »

Midtown Crossing has installed a permenant all-season outdoor ping-pong ball table. About a month ago, I saw one in Hellena MT in an new urban project like midtown, but forgot about it until tonight. Really cool addition to MTC.

You get the ball and paddles at the tea shop.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha we were sitting maybe 20 feet away from the table and I said the same type of thing to my group!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Haha we were sitting maybe 20 feet away from the table and I said the same type of thing to my group!
See if this link works:
(Cell phone photo from the roof)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We were just out of frame to the right.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a time-lapse video I shot at Thursday night's jazz on the green. Starts at 4:50pm and runs to 9:30pm

[youtube][/youtube]
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you shoot that? Do you have a condo there or an office?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was hired by MTC to take this.

I took one photo ever 20 seconds from 4:50 to 9:30 which ended up being +/- 840 photos and then I merged them in Adobe premier pro CC 2015. That program is awesome and I can add intro slides, credits and music. Basically this is just a simple time lapse from the 840 photos with nothing else.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great job! Love it. Are you thinking of putting some audio/music to it?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Great job Brad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Great job! Love it. Are you thinking of putting some audio/music to it?
Thanks!

That's up to midtown crossing. I can add whatever they want. Intro slides, exit slides, music, logos, etc.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice work Brad!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Received an email today saying dogs are no longer allowed on restaurant patios within Midtown Crossing. Seems stupid...wonder why they changed it.
Apparently it was an Old Law:
http://www.ketv.com/news/dc-board-of-he ... ew+Content

Douglas County Health Department will vote next week on a variance.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Received an email today saying dogs are no longer allowed on restaurant patios within Midtown Crossing. Seems stupid...wonder why they changed it.

Well that explains it. They really should have communicated that better with residents.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another Great Crowd for Jazz on the Green tonight!

Aerial Photo:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Love that perspective.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Love that perspective.
It's a great view from up there. Would have been better if Omaha had a Helicopter and I wasn't up so high.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad that photo is amazing!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Very cool! Was this for MoO?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:Brad that photo is amazing!
HR Paperstacks wrote:Very cool! Was this for MoO?
Thanks Guys! I took it (and others) for Midtown Crossing.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That is a great photo.

It's great to see how popular Jazz on the Green has been at MTC. MTC really hasn't let up on promotion for this and other events. It's a good example of a really well-managed effort.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:That is a great photo.
Thanks!
Seth wrote:It's great to see how popular Jazz on the Green has been at MTC. MTC really hasn't let up on promotion for this and other events. It's a good example of a really well-managed effort.
I think all the events have really helped the retail bays too. If I remember correctly, Only the Parmida and the Ingredient bays are empty, everything else is occupied.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:

They changed the rule. Bring on the pups.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – Omaha’s newest holiday highlight is set to return to Turner Park, and plans are currently underway! This year’s Holiday Lights Spectacular, a true sight and sound experience, promises an even more enthusiastic blend of light and holiday music projected onto Midtown Crossing’s condominium buildings.
The Holiday Lights Spectacular will run approx. 20-minutes nightly – Saturday, Nov. 21, through Thursday, Jan. 1, 2016 – starting at 7 p.m. It will complement Midtown Crossing’s other holiday happenings, including Family Fun Day on Saturday, Nov. 21. A fireworks extravaganza is planned for that same evening to celebrate the first night of the light show.
All holiday activities, including Family Fun Day and the Holiday Lights Spectacular, are free to the public, three hours of garage parking included.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midtown Crossing wrote: ‏@midtowncrossing 3m3 minutes ago

In honor of the victims of the Paris attack, three Midtown Crossing buildings will be illuminated in blue, white and red beginning tonight.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I noticed that when I got home. Was wondering why they were different colors. Thought they were preparing for this weekend.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I noticed that when I got home. Was wondering why they were different colors. Thought they were preparing for this weekend.
They are probably ready for this weekend so it was easy just to switch on a few colors to make them Blue White Red.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Centurylink Center was blue, white and red for France tonight. I think that is the first time I have seen the lights broken into different colors. Usually it is just one solid color for the whole strip of led lights.

Did anyone get a pick of it?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dang! Now, I have been held up at home fighting with my website host... Didn't get MTC or CLCO...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here are a few photos from Midtown Crossing Thursday and Friday Nights.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Those look incredible! You have to use some for a new site banner.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Those look incredible! You have to use some for a new site banner.
Thanks. I think its going to take one more trip down there to get this project all wrapped up. I will try to remember to shoot one extra wide.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great work...I still need to get down there to see the light show.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Are the lights only a temporary thing?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Great work...I still need to get down there to see the light show.
Thanks, they raised the bar from last year.
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Are the lights only a temporary thing?
Yes, just for the holidays and other than the white tree lights, these bright/colorful lights are only on from 7:00-7:18 each night

The white spotlights pointing in to the sky come on earlier, but I am not sure how early, but they are not on after the show.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From the planning board agenda.

East Campus Realty Approval of a Major Amendment to the Mixed
Use District Development Agreement for
Midtown Crossing
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:From the planning board agenda.

Midtown Crossing
If not mixed use, then what was it before?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:From the planning board agenda.

Midtown Crossing
If not mixed use, then what was it before?
This is not a rezoning... It is an Amendment.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – Corky Canvas, one of Midtown Crossing’s locally-owned “local stars,” is celebrating its success in the neighborhood by opening a second and complementary new concept: Corky Boards.

“Corky Boards is similar to Corky Canvas in that guests can have a unique night out creating art with the help of an instructor – all while enjoying good music and beverages from our bar,” explains Angie Lewis, owner of both Corky Canvas and Corky Boards.

The difference between the two concepts lies in the artistic medium. Instead of painting on a canvas, Corky Boards’ guests will work with raw wood materials to create personalized, wall-worthy sign projects from scratch.

“Our instructors will show you how to make these wood signs look like you just pulled them out of an old barn, and the best part is – you’ll be working with stencils. You can't mess it up!” Lewis says.

Corky Boards is expected to open in March within Midtown Crossing, at 3157 Farnam Street, Suite 7109. Classes will be offered Wednesday through Sunday with prices ranging from $45-$65 (depending on the project).

Lewis says she couldn’t pass up the opportunity to open another studio in Midtown Crossing. She joins a growing category of businesses that have opted to focus on and expand within the neighborhood, including The Afternoon, Wohlner’s, Hutch, Garbo’s Salon and Spa, Callahan Financial Planning, The Grey Plume, Provisions by the Grey Plume.

Lewis says, “Our success stems from our fun, helpful staff and our customers who come back time and time again. We also attribute it to our location in Midtown Crossing. This area really has it all!”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Horses of Honor® Omaha Coming to Turner Park, Public Art Project Commemorates Fallen Police Officers

Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – An inspiring public art installation, debuting in Turner Park this May, will commemorate the fallen heroes of the Omaha Police Department, celebrating their legacies of brave service and protection.

Horses of Honor® Omaha will feature seven life-sized statues of mounted patrol unit horses prominently displayed throughout Turner Park. An eighth horse is planned for the Omaha Police Headquarters. Each fabricated horse, designed by an artist, will commemorate a fallen Omaha officer.

“The loss of Officer Kerrie Orozco reminds us what ultimate sacrifice looks and feels like. Horses of Honor® is a powerful way to bring the community together and pay tribute to our men and women in blue and the lengths they’re willing to go to protect and serve,” said Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer.

The year-long Horses of Honor® Omaha exhibition will launch on May 20; its unveiling complemented by a Tribute Concert and Festival in Turner Park the next evening. Free and open to the public, the concert event will honor all those who serve and protect. (More details will be provided at HorsesOfHonorOmaha.com as they are available.)

Horses of Honor® Omaha will culminate with the sale of the horses in the spring of 2017. Net proceeds will benefit the Omaha Police Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization working to ensure Omaha officers have the training and equipment they need to prevent crime, save lives and make Omaha a safer city.

“Not only are we very honored to be a part of this inspirational project, we’re grateful for the awareness it will bring, the legacies it will celebrate, and the lasting impact it will have in protecting Omaha’s police officers and our community,” said Omaha Police Foundation Board of Directors President, Jack Lewis.

Horses of Honor® Omaha would not be possible without the generous support of community sponsors. Sponsorship funds will support fundraising initiatives, fabrication costs, statue transportation and other logistical needs. (A complete list of sponsors will be provided online at HorsesOfHonorOmaha.com.)

The Omaha installation mirrors the original Horses of Honor® program in Chicago, which was created and produced by AGENCY 360 and benefitted the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation. The Horses have been on display at various locations in downtown Chicago, including the Magnificent Mile, Merchandise Mart, Hancock Plaza, parks and more. Proceeds from the Horses have been used to purchase bulletproof vests for the Police Department and put toward school tuition for the children of the fallen officers.

“Horses of Honor brought comfort to the families of all police officers and raised a lot of awareness in Chicago about the sacrifices that these brave officers make,” said Phil Cline, executive director of the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation. “We’re very excited and honored to see this program continue in Omaha and eventually other cities as well.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Turner Park Set to Host International Light and Color Experience
Exhibit to Coincide with US Olympic Swim Trials
Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – Midtown Crossing is primed to celebrate the Omaha return of the US Olympic Swim Trials by making a brilliant splash of its own. Starting Friday, June 24, neighborhood guests will be encouraged to get in “The Pool by Jen Lewin,” a world-renowned, fully-interactive light and color experience.

Created by American artist Jen Lewin, her studio describes The Pool as “an environment of giant, concentric circles created from interactive pads. By entering The Pool, guests enter a world where play and collaborative movement create swirling effects of light and color.”

The Pool will take up residence in the southeast quadrant of Turner Park until July 4. The US Olympic Swim Trials run June 26 – July 3 at CenturyLink Center Omaha. The display is free and open to the public.

A world-travelling piece, The Pool has been included in festivals in Singapore, Sydney, Lisbon, Prague, London, Istanbul and at Burning Man and has clocked millions of user steps. It is weather resistant and designed for aggressive use: “Like a giant game of light ‘ping pong,’ the pool will have users running and jumping, adding, bouncing, and mixing light together. As multiple users play in The Pool, their interactions become mesmerizing patterns of shifting and fading colors.” (jenlewinstudio.com)

Molly Skold, Midtown Crossing’s vice president of marketing and communications, says, “We couldn’t imagine a more perfect way to celebrate the excitement of the US Olympic Swim Trials and continue one of our favorite traditions: finding new ways to bring even more of the fresh and exciting to Turner Park. It’s going to be a blast seeing our community play in The Pool!”