Midtown Crossing

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Midtown Crossing

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:Turner Park Set to Host International Light and Color Experience
Exhibit to Coincide with US Olympic Swim Trials
Midtown Crossing wrote:Omaha, Neb. – Midtown Crossing is primed to celebrate the Omaha return of the US Olympic Swim Trials by making a brilliant splash of its own. Starting Friday, June 24, neighborhood guests will be encouraged to get in “The Pool by Jen Lewin,” a world-renowned, fully-interactive light and color experience.

Created by American artist Jen Lewin, her studio describes The Pool as “an environment of giant, concentric circles created from interactive pads. By entering The Pool, guests enter a world where play and collaborative movement create swirling effects of light and color.”

The Pool will take up residence in the southeast quadrant of Turner Park until July 4. The US Olympic Swim Trials run June 26 – July 3 at CenturyLink Center Omaha. The display is free and open to the public.

A world-travelling piece, The Pool has been included in festivals in Singapore, Sydney, Lisbon, Prague, London, Istanbul and at Burning Man and has clocked millions of user steps. It is weather resistant and designed for aggressive use: “Like a giant game of light ‘ping pong,’ the pool will have users running and jumping, adding, bouncing, and mixing light together. As multiple users play in The Pool, their interactions become mesmerizing patterns of shifting and fading colors.” (jenlewinstudio.com)

Molly Skold, Midtown Crossing’s vice president of marketing and communications, says, “We couldn’t imagine a more perfect way to celebrate the excitement of the US Olympic Swim Trials and continue one of our favorite traditions: finding new ways to bring even more of the fresh and exciting to Turner Park. It’s going to be a blast seeing our community play in The Pool!”
"Burning Man, Singpaore, Istanbul and Prague"! I hope they bleached the fuçk out of it!
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a photo of it:
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Awesome!! I have got to see that. I love Midtown Crossing. It is an urban success story!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is that a streetcar on that sign??
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Linkin5 wrote:Is that a streetcar on that sign??
I was thinking of that too. I wonder why it's there...
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
And you missed all the private Zeppelins?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

So am I not the only one who is annoyed when a rendering or artwork depicts a streetcar when there obviously is none. Seems like more than a few projects Downtown and in Midtown have a streetcar driving past their development. It is starting to get too cute
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
And you missed all the private Zeppelins?
...and the running of the bulls in the streets. That might damage the street cars.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Busguy2010 wrote:So am I not the only one who is annoyed when a rendering or artwork depicts a streetcar when there obviously is none. Seems like more than a few projects Downtown and in Midtown have a streetcar driving past their development. It is starting to get too cute
And how dare they have a Chinese celebration with cows that has a sign that reads "We need donuts"....
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:So am I not the only one who is annoyed when a rendering or artwork depicts a streetcar when there obviously is none. Seems like more than a few projects Downtown and in Midtown have a streetcar driving past their development. It is starting to get too cute
And how dare they have a Chinese celebration with cows that has a sign that reads "We need donuts"....
Okay you win :lol: But still, "artists" can be too much
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's the Crazy Train that Ozzy told us about.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Do they have concrete ping pong paddles to go with the table? :lol:
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photos from Saturday Night's "ReCaptured" concert and fireworks.

1. ReCaptured

2. OPD K9 Kobus

3. OPD K9 Kobus

4. OPD K9 Kobus

5. Kerrie Orozco tribute horse and fireworks

6. Kerrie Orozco tribute horse and fireworks

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Pana 88 has closed

In its place will be Ugly Duck (a ramen place) opening in late sept

Per their FB:
To our Loyal fans, we would like to apologize but we will be closing for a couple months and heading in a different direction. We have chosen to pursue an exciting new opportunity and will be reopening in a few months. Please check out their Facebook page and like it to stay updated on exciting news and opening info! UGLY DUCK
Such a bummer I loved Pana
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Photos from Saturday Night's "ReCaptured" concert and fireworks.

1. ReCaptured

2. OPD K9 Kobus

3. OPD K9 Kobus

4. OPD K9 Kobus

5. Kerrie Orozco tribute horse and fireworks

6. Kerrie Orozco tribute horse and fireworks

I know you posted these a couple months back, but I missed them..

Fantastic pics Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Lou!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Yeah Brad. I always love your photos but have to admit that fireworks photos don't usually do anything for me. But the photos here are spectacular. I have a feeling I may be looking at fireworks in a different way from here on out.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guy4omaha wrote:Yeah Brad. I always love your photos but have to admit that fireworks photos don't usually do anything for me. But the photos here are spectacular. I have a feeling I may be looking at fireworks in a different way from here on out.
Thanks! I usually try to compose them with something interesting but sometimes its just not possible.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Look I admire Ansel Adams more than most anyone but Brad, you're quite possibly the most talented photographer I've ever known. Period. Best. Ever.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NovakOmaha wrote:Look I admire Ansel Adams more than most anyone but Brad, you're quite possibly the most talented photographer I've ever known. Period. Best. Ever.
Wow, I don't even know what to say! Thanks!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Brad wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Look I admire Ansel Adams more than most anyone but Brad, you're quite possibly the most talented photographer I've ever known. Period. Best. Ever.
I agree with Novak. I think you underestimate your very impressive work.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Erik wrote:
Brad wrote:
I agree with Novak. I think you underestimate your very impressive work.
You know what it is, and those of you who are in school need to remember this: The bottom line to a career or even a hobby is to have passion and love what you do. Almost to a person the successful and happy business people I know started out with a passion. I know a very successful coffee roaster who began with just a passion about coffee. Last year he spent two weeks in South America living with the coffee farmers. My friend began his business not knowing or really caring if he would succeed. He now ships all over the country.

If you wake up in the morning wanting to tap dance all the way to work you win, no matter if you fail or not. Love what you do and you'll be happy doing it.

As to Brad, it's obvious that you have a passion for what you do. Promote it, grow it if you want. I'm sure there are other cities and businesses and organizations that want what you produce. You understand the subject and how to take the shots that show them off so well. As I say, if you have a passion and love what you do it shows. You should see the lousy pictures of Detroit that are sold as "art" here. Some are ok but with Brad's talent he could make Detroit really show well.

Just some thoughts.....keep it up Brad. Remember, Warren Buffet started out delivering newspapers & before that he sold bottles of pop. Me I just want to say I knew you when...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Erik wrote:I agree with Novak. I think you underestimate your very impressive work.
Thanks Erik!
NovakOmaha wrote:As to Brad, it's obvious that you have a passion for what you do. Promote it, grow it if you want. I'm sure there are other cities and businesses and organizations that want what you produce. You understand the subject and how to take the shots that show them off so well. As I say, if you have a passion and love what you do it shows. You should see the lousy pictures of Detroit that are sold as "art" here. Some are ok but with Brad's talent he could make Detroit really show well.
Thanks. I would agree that I am passionate about photography, my wife would probably say passionate to a fault... She has to hear me complain when I miss a good sunset.
NovakOmaha wrote:Just some thoughts.....keep it up Brad. Remember, Warren Buffet started out delivering newspapers & before that he sold bottles of pop. Me I just want to say I knew you when...
Thanks! My first job was a paper route too... BNN036, the area SW of 72 and Blondo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midtown Crossing wrote:hutchFEST Debuts in Omaha’s Turner Park August 13th

Omaha, Neb. – On August 13, 2016 hutch in Midtown Crossing is throwing Nebraska’s largest Maker’s Fair in Turner Park. Owners Nick Huff, 29 and Brandon Beed, 32 strive to support makers across the Midwest and create unique experiences in Omaha.

hutchFEST emerges as a one-day community and artisan celebration in Midtown Crossing at Turner Park, with over 100 highly curated vendors from across the Midwest. This vibrant gathering cultivates and showcases the freshest talent from the very best in modern maker design, quality handmade goods and relevant found objects. Get inspired, harness your creativity and experience this lively marketplace surrounded by local bites, local brews and live music.

“We currently support and sell from over 40 local makers at hutch, and are always looking for other opportunities to support our larger Midwest community of makers. hutchFEST is our opportunity and continued commitment to finding and providing a marketplace for talented artisans across the Midwest,” - Nick Huff

“Over the past year, our team has visited Kansas City, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Denver and areas all across Nebraska in search of the best of the best in artisan design. We are very excited to showcase this talent right here in our backyard.” – Brandon Beed

hutch started a little over 3 years ago, June 1, 2013, with Nick and Brandon finding a hutch on Craigslist in Lincoln for $40. They had to borrow Brandon’s dads truck to retrieve it, and this is what inevitably sparked hutch the brand. From there, the boyfriend duo, collected vintage mid-century modern furniture, hoarded if you will. After 6 months of collecting, they opened their first retail store, only open on the weekends, in Omaha’s Old Market. Two months later they reopened in Midtown Crossing with regular business hours, but still just focused on their vintage finds. In February 2015, hutch re-opened again at its current location in one of the flagship bays on the Midtown Crossing campus at 33rd and Farnam, expanding their offerings of new furniture and local maker designs, while still mixing in their vintage furniture and accessory finds.

All things hutchFEST can be found at www.hutchfest.co (tickets, vendors, etc).

· The event is 10am-6pm in Turner Park in Midtown Crossing on Aug. 13th.
· Tickets for the General Public are $5 and can be purchased at www.hutchfest.co, at the gate the day of the event or at hutch anytime.
· Ample parking will be available in all of the Midtown Crossing parking garages.
· The event is kid and pet friendly
· DJ Brent Crampton, Jocelyn Muhammad and others will be providing live music performances.
· Heartland United for Animals will be at the event, and attendees will have the opportunity to pet and adopt dogs from the no-kill animal shelter.
· Midtown Crossing restaurants will be serving up food and drink at the event.
· Event is kid and pet friendly.

Thank you to our Sponsors:

· Midtown Crossing
· Mutual of Omaha Bank
· WOWT
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jomfa »

http://playingwithfireomaha.net/pwf-2016-august-27/

Donate Life Nebraska mission is to inspire and motivate Nebraskans to sign up on the Nebraska Donor Registry and provide hope to the 450+ people on the waiting list for a life-saving organ transplant. DLN representatives will be at concert with information and to assist with registration. Donate Life Nebraska

WHEN: SATURDAY / August 27th – Time: Park opens 3:30PM / Music at 4:30PM

WHERE: Turner Park at Midtown Crossing

COST: FREE! Accepting FREE-WILL donations at concert to be shared with participating non-profit organization. Donations and Sponsorship for PwF Please click for link on website

AfterBurn JAM: Hosted by BluesED at Cantina Laredo, immediately following the concert. Catch the artist’s from this concert jam together!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:

Hopefully they don't demo the buildings to the west of the WCA property. I guess they don't care, they already demolished the Clarinda and Page.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Twin Towers Condo Assoc, Clarinda, Hudson Investments, Women's Center for Advancement and Romeos, still own land in this area:

The Women's Center for Advancement building was just sold to 3805 Harney LLC for $2M

I missed this:

Women’s Center for Advancement buys new HQ in Blackstone District, tripling the organization's space
Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Mutual, under an entity called Turner Park North LLC, for three years has been assembling and clearing parcels east of its corporate headquarters and Midtown Crossing, on both sides of Farnam Street. Mutual developed Midtown Crossing.

The insurance giant does not plan to extend its footprint by developing the swath that now includes the WCA building, said Ken Cook, who heads Mutual’s real estate arm. Rather, its intent is to create an attractive slate for a developer to come in and reshape into a business park or commercial campus.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fuel Fit Kitchen is opening a location in MTC in the Delice/Marcus Cinema area.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

The liquor store on farnam that used to be neighbors with little king looks to be coming down imminently, it's been closed for a few weeks and they've been taking out the fridges this week.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They have put in a countdown timer at the end end of Turner Park but it's currently covered up. It's for the FEI World Cup Jumping. I guess the final is in Omaha in 2017. (Edit: talked about under The International thread.)
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Three Dog Bakery to close both Midtown Crossing and Village Pointe locations. Just like Brix did.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:Three Dog Bakery to close both Midtown Crossing and Village Pointe locations. Just like Brix did.
Suppose I could look it up but the store is not something that I would ever go to. Where they local or a franchise?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I posted about this in the other thread, but here are the closings this month...

-Brix
-Lennie's Subs
-Royal Lux
-3 Dog Bakery

Rumored to be closing or likely to be closing

-Grane (Dead Man Walking)
-The Importer (Persian Rug Store)
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

word on the street is 3 dog bakery was a franchise and the owners bought the omaha franchises out but the manager plans to reopen in the same spot with the same products as owner of a new local dog store.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Heard a 3rd hand, but somewhat credible news update on Midtown Crossing. Not great news in the short term. It will be interesting to see how it could shake out in the long term. It's a bit of a gamble, if true, but they need to make some bold moves. Here are the quick hits…

-Midtown Cinema will close this year.

-Grane is closing (predictable)

-They hope to turn over a number of the existing businesses and the goal is to get trendier bars and restaurants in that will appeal to a younger demographic and help connect Midtown Crossing to Blackstone.

-There is a tenant in place to replace Brix.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That blows for the the theater and what could they possibly do with that portion of the building? It's not like Omaha could support an urban mall there.. It's cool they're colluding with the black stone district I wonder though if they should be in the Missouri River Commens instead.
15-17, 26, 32
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

That's all that I could think of as well: an enclosed mall concept is all that really works for that space if you want to keep it retail. You could try to rent it out as office space, I'd assume. It would take alot of retrofitting, but that would be the other option. I don't think a traditional mall design would flourish there. It's certainly an odd space and will be difficult to fill if this rumor is true. The person who told me this lives down there and they've been hearing for some time that the theater is on its last legs. He's been right on every other prediction like 3 Dog, Lennies, Etc.

I've somewhat considered that space a lynch pin for the development as it is so big and would be difficult to fill if closed. I'd be interested to see what becomes of it if this comes to pass.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

word on the street is the theater was quietly listed but won't move out until a new tenant is secured, and two restaurants will be going into brix.