Park East District

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Park East District

Post by Coyote »

I couldn't find a thread specific to Park East District (20th through 28th, Dodge to Leavenworth) so I'll start a new one.
They were talking about this area on Grow Omaha this morning in an interview with Bre Phelan who will be opening a cat cafe Felius at 522 S 24th St. just west of the Howard Street Apartment District. She was referring to this as the Quarters District. This area is undergoing a huge transformation recently with the Even Hotel and development along Farnam, apartment developments to go with the Rose, Josyln, Children's Museum...

But has anyone heard of this district being named the Quarters District?
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Park East District

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I couldn't find a thread specific to Park East District (20th through 28th, Dodge to Leavenworth) so I'll start a new one.
They were talking about this area on Grow Omaha this morning in an interview with Bre Phelan who will be opening a cat cafe Felius at 522 S 24th St. just west of the Howard Street Apartment District. She was referring to this as the Quarters District. This area is undergoing a huge transformation recently with the Even Hotel and development along Farnam, apartment developments to go with the Rose, Josyln, Children's Museum...

But has anyone heard of this district being named the Quarters District?
OWH had an article referring to it by that name yesterday(I think it was yesterday).
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:But has anyone heard of this district being named the Quarters District?
I saw it in the newspaper. It cannot be a serious attempt at naming a whole sector of the city. If I can meet whomever thought of that name, I'd look at them in the eye, and slap 'em. A sorry attempt that is. Park East is better and that's saying a lot.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Coyote wrote:But has anyone heard of this district being named the Quarters District?
I saw it in the newspaper. It cannot be a serious attempt at naming a whole sector of the city. If I can meet whomever thought of that name, I'd look at them in the eye, and slap 'em. A sorry attempt that is. Park East is better and that's saying a lot.
Yeah this really is some of the dumbest Yuppy neighborhood reinvention I’ve ever heard of.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Coyote wrote:I saw it in the newspaper. It cannot be a serious attempt at naming a whole sector of the city. If I can meet whomever thought of that name, I'd look at them in the eye, and slap 'em. A sorry attempt that is. Park East is better and that's saying a lot.
She did not take credit for it on the show, but mentioned a "Ben" as being behind this name change. She mention this district as being home to Living Quarters, and Business Quartes, and Museum Quarters...

And speaking of Park East... Some have the western boundary at 30 St./Park Ave which would be across I-480 which was constructed in the late 50's, so I have to wonder if I-480 would now be the western boundary, giving everything west of I-480 to MidTown Crossing.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I would go with the I-480 boundary you propose.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently it is:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The term "Park East" was contrived in the 70s. The wife of one of the Seldin Company's owners wanted to rehab some houses and build an apartment house in the 26th and St. Marys area. She came up with "Park East" and got historic credits. Some property owners didn't want to sell so the city used eminent domain.

As for "Quarters"...let me wipe the vomit off my shirt. Ok, now that's better. Why not just call it the "West Village"? Des Moines and Kansas City have contrived East Villages. Omaha should be unique.

Whatever...
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Honestly, how can we help here? We can't allow that name to stick. Anybody have any history and general context to offer? Farnam west of 20th used to be called "auto row", there's the adult time out center literally smack dab in the center of this area and it takes up a lot of room. That has a major influence as to how the neighborhood can evolve. Should we acknowledge the ethnic presence and history to the south, the museum to the north? An underwhelming, yet identifying name of Park East is better than the "Quarters" because it at least offers a small bit of geographic reference. So obviously a group of people are bored with Park East and want to identify it as something more dignifying (is it really?), but consequently more terrible. Any ideas? Literally throw a dart.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:The term "Park East" was contrived in the 70s.
If I am correct, and I do not have a cite handy, the old trolley line that ran to the east of Hanscom Park, through that area, was known as the "Park East" line. There was also a "Park West" line that ran on the west side of Hanscom Park.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Simply calling it "West Downtown" would suffice, rather than some new trendy name with no strong ties to history. But it's been known as "Park East" so long that most people will just keep calling it that.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:Honestly, how can we help here? We can't allow that name to stick. Anybody have any history and general context to offer? Farnam west of 20th used to be called "auto row", there's the adult time out center literally smack dab in the center of this area and it takes up a lot of room. That has a major influence as to how the neighborhood can evolve. Should we acknowledge the ethnic presence and history to the south, the museum to the north? An underwhelming, yet identifying name of Park East is better than the "Quarters" because it at least offers a small bit of geographic reference. So obviously a group of people are bored with Park East and want to identify it as something more dignifying (is it really?), but consequently more terrible. Any ideas? Literally throw a dart.
Actually, Auto Row isn’t terrible. It actually acknowledges the history of the neighborhood without being too generic like West Downtown.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I really don't care what the name is... Its just great to see things really starting to take off in that area.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Garrett wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:Honestly, how can we help here? We can't allow that name to stick. Anybody have any history and general context to offer? Farnam west of 20th used to be called "auto row", there's the adult time out center literally smack dab in the center of this area and it takes up a lot of room. That has a major influence as to how the neighborhood can evolve. Should we acknowledge the ethnic presence and history to the south, the museum to the north? An underwhelming, yet identifying name of Park East is better than the "Quarters" because it at least offers a small bit of geographic reference. So obviously a group of people are bored with Park East and want to identify it as something more dignifying (is it really?), but consequently more terrible. Any ideas? Literally throw a dart.
Actually, Auto Row isn’t terrible. It actually acknowledges the history of the neighborhood without being too generic like West Downtown.
The problem is hardly anyone still remembers that area as "Auto Row". The only dealer I can recall since the late 1960's is Omaha Volkswagen. [edit] (There was another dealer I remember now around 27th or 28th and Harney, might have been Markel) Most people currently think of "Auto Row" as being the area near 102nd street, just west of Westroads, which won't be that much longer since all of those dealers are soon moving further West. Other Auto Rows have been around Old Mill or L Street between 50th & 72nd. On a more positive note, in a way, what we now have is a group of urban settlers trying to make the area better and staking their claim to the new-found success by giving it a new identity.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:I really don't care what the name is... Its just great to see things really starting to take off in that area.
Bingo.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:The problem is hardly anyone still remembers that area as "Auto Row". The only dealer I can recall since the late 1960's is Omaha Volkswagen. [edit] (There was another dealer I remember now around 27th or 28th and Harney, might have been Markel).
The other dealer you’re referring to was Rosen-Novak Cadillac. It was still at that location through the 70’s and I believe, up until the mid 80’s (1985ish)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

On the northeast and southeast corners of the roof of Dino's Storage at 27th & Harney you'll see tiles with DB on them. They stand for Dodge Brothers. The building was a very early Dodge car dealership.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Don't forget the soon to be renovated Hupmobile building...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

Coyote wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
Coyote wrote:I saw it in the newspaper. It cannot be a serious attempt at naming a whole sector of the city. If I can meet whomever thought of that name, I'd look at them in the eye, and slap 'em. A sorry attempt that is. Park East is better and that's saying a lot.
She did not take credit for it on the show, but mentioned a "Ben" as being behind this name change. She mention this district as being home to Living Quarters, and Business Quartes, and Museum Quarters...

And speaking of Park East... Some have the western boundary at 30 St./Park Ave which would be across I-480 which was constructed in the late 50's, so I have to wonder if I-480 would now be the western boundary, giving everything west of I-480 to MidTown Crossing.
Now called 'the Quarters,' area between downtown and midtown aims to lure more businesses
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The neighborhood association that covers the area is working to fire up that momentum. To help raise the area’s profile, association leader Ann Lawless said the group has given their turf a new name: the Quarters.

With the rebrand will come a website and marketing efforts set to roll out this year (think a Q on a logo or painted at a storefront offering a 25 percent discount day).

“It’s this overlooked area,” said developer Ben Swan, who converted the historic Kellogg building at 24th and Harney Streets into a retail strip. “Yet we’re an up-and-coming district with a unique feel that’s very urban. We want our own identity.”

The neighborhood contains some established businesses and largely is home to human services organizations. It’s sprinkled with empty or run-down storefronts. Lawless said neighborhood association members don’t necessarily want to change the character but hope to lure more businesses and foot traffic, and to build upon the diversity of incomes and ethnicities.

She said the fresh identity is meant to evoke a fun feel and invite shoppers and visitors to say, “I’m going to the Quarters.”

Why the Quarters? “It’s what you make of it,” said Swan. He said the name nods to the area’s living and working quarters and can refer also to its 25th Street artery.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha World Herald wrote:Why the Quarters? “It’s what you make of it,” said Swan. He said the name nods to the area’s living and working quarters and can refer also to its 25th Street artery.
"It's what you make of it", i.e. it's a poorly thought out name that was published in the OWH by someone who probably knows this guy and is doing him a favor.

The area was seeing sustained, continuing development well before this article came out and just because an article comes out doesn't mean it's official.
Busguy2010 wrote:That whole southwest area of downtown is becoming my favorite. I see it becoming the "living" portion of downtown and it'll be nice to see the area fill up with residents and everyday needs kind of businesses.
I made this comment a week before the article came out, so you can understand my frustration with this borderline offensively poor attempt at giving this section of the city an identity. It sounds like one guy who has a presence in the neighborhood knows a girl who works at the world herald, and he told her it's called the "Quarters" and she blindly published it as fact.

It's just a poor name. And I apologize if I come off as negative or sidetracking the thread with seemingly negative insight.

I'm passionate in my belief that for such an up and coming neighborhood with a deep history, the "Quarters" is among the bottom 10% of possible names for it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha World Herald wrote:Why the Quarters? “It’s what you make of it,” said Swan. He said the name nods to the area’s living and working quarters and can refer also to its 25th Street artery.
"It's what you make of it", i.e. it's a poorly thought out name that was published in the OWH by someone who probably knows this guy and is doing him a favor.

The area was seeing sustained, continuing development well before this article came out and just because an article comes out doesn't mean it's official.
Busguy2010 wrote:That whole southwest area of downtown is becoming my favorite. I see it becoming the "living" portion of downtown and it'll be nice to see the area fill up with residents and everyday needs kind of businesses.
I made this comment a week before the article came out, so you can understand my frustration with this borderline offensively poor attempt at giving this section of the city an identity. It sounds like one guy who has a presence in the neighborhood knows a girl who works at the world herald, and he told her it's called the "Quarters" and she blindly published it as fact.

It's just a poor name. And I apologize if I come off as negative or sidetracking the thread with seemingly negative insight.

I'm passionate in my belief that for such an up and coming neighborhood with a deep history, the "Quarters" is among the bottom 10% of possible names for it.
Let’s go with SoWeDoToOma
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Busguy2010 wrote:

That darned FAKE NEWS can be a real stinker :despond:
ElevenHouse
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ElevenHouse »

Hey Everyone-

I’m new to eomahaforums but found this thread about Park east. I live smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood, patron a fair amount of the small businesses there, and attended the neighborhood association meetings regarding the “renaming” of the neighborhood. Here’s a loose play by play of what transpired.

The developer of Farnam 25, Adam Watson, planned to rename the neighborhood “Uptown”. He comes from Denver and was also behind the district branded Uptown there as well. He was preparing to paint “Welcome to Uptown” on the now blank Forever in Blue Jeans billboar last summer.

The Park East Neighborhood Association, other developers, and other businesses, caught wind of this one man name change and protested because the name Uptown is AWFUL, boogie, and everything Paton East is not. Everyone came to the agreement that it should be decided as a neighborhood If, when, and what the new name would be.

Most people (read: developers) involved in the discussion were against Park East because it is “forgetable, geographically ambiguous, not well known, etc”. Also, midtown crossing has plans to develop east of turner park and west of 480 into “Turner Park East” and it was decided the neighborhood didn’t want to be associated or compete with that development by name- it was thought it would create confusion.

There formed two camps: one for a name change, one for preserving the name Park East because seriously, what’s wrong with that name?? Luckily everyone was decidedly against Uptown (which imo is even worse than The Quarters).

A survey was created, and distributed to all businesses and residents of the neighborhood boundaries. The survey asked for thoughts on the history, landmarks, and culture of the area. Also it solicited feedback for the current name Park east- what do we or don’t we like about it? There was a place to nominate new names as well.

A woman who helps facilitate neighborhood growth and development (i forget her name and the organization she works for) came to several meetings to help streamline the process.

Survey results were tabulated and found to be either apathetic or pro name change. neighborhood association members voted on all nominated names, and 3 neighborhood names emerged as front runners in this order 1. The Quarters 2. The Twenties 3. Park East

After that, the board of the neighborhood association met and decided the new name would be The Quarters. Adam Watson said if Park East was chosen, he would proceed with Uptown. The name “The Quarters” was submitted by the developer of Travers Row on St. Mary’s.

Since then, the neighborhood association has been moving forward with the rebrand, which is supposedly going to involve marketing efforts similar to that of Blackstone and Benson. I personally like the growth this area is seeing, and hope that the slower pace it seems to be taking will mean more long term sustainability. But I hate the new name and think Park East would have had a great opportunity to be brought back to life. I know many business owners also hate the new name.

The survey and meetings all took place last summer and fall. For those of you who are asking what you can do to stop the name change, it’s too late, it’s already happened, and I’m bummed about it too. The guy in the interview owns the Kellogg Hotel and was just voted to president of the neighborhood association. I believe he was anti The Quarters and Park East, but I might be wrong. He is building a bunch of stuff on 24th and Howard as well where he owns more property I think.

It’s late and I’m on mobile so I apologize for how poorly written this is. I hope this helps piece together the weird renaming of this cool part of town.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ElevenHouse wrote:Hey Everyone-

I’m new to eomahaforums but found this thread about Park east. I live smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood, patron a fair amount of the small businesses there, and attended the neighborhood association meetings regarding the “renaming” of the neighborhood. Here’s a loose play by play of what transpired.

The developer of Farnam 25, Adam Watson, planned to rename the neighborhood “Uptown”. He comes from Denver and was also behind the district branded Uptown there as well. He was preparing to paint “Welcome to Uptown” on the now blank Forever in Blue Jeans billboar last summer.

The Park East Neighborhood Association, other developers, and other businesses, caught wind of this one man name change and protested because the name Uptown is AWFUL, boogie, and everything Paton East is not. Everyone came to the agreement that it should be decided as a neighborhood If, when, and what the new name would be.

Most people (read: developers) involved in the discussion were against Park East because it is “forgetable, geographically ambiguous, not well known, etc”. Also, midtown crossing has plans to develop east of turner park and west of 480 into “Turner Park East” and it was decided the neighborhood didn’t want to be associated or compete with that development by name- it was thought it would create confusion.

There formed two camps: one for a name change, one for preserving the name Park East because seriously, what’s wrong with that name?? Luckily everyone was decidedly against Uptown (which imo is even worse than The Quarters).

A survey was created, and distributed to all businesses and residents of the neighborhood boundaries. The survey asked for thoughts on the history, landmarks, and culture of the area. Also it solicited feedback for the current name Park east- what do we or don’t we like about it? There was a place to nominate new names as well.

A woman who helps facilitate neighborhood growth and development (i forget her name and the organization she works for) came to several meetings to help streamline the process.

Survey results were tabulated and found to be either apathetic or pro name change. neighborhood association members voted on all nominated names, and 3 neighborhood names emerged as front runners in this order 1. The Quarters 2. The Twenties 3. Park East

After that, the board of the neighborhood association met and decided the new name would be The Quarters. Adam Watson said if Park East was chosen, he would proceed with Uptown. The name “The Quarters” was submitted by the developer of Travers Row on St. Mary’s.

Since then, the neighborhood association has been moving forward with the rebrand, which is supposedly going to involve marketing efforts similar to that of Blackstone and Benson. I personally like the growth this area is seeing, and hope that the slower pace it seems to be taking will mean more long term sustainability. But I hate the new name and think Park East would have had a great opportunity to be brought back to life. I know many business owners also hate the new name.

The survey and meetings all took place last summer and fall. For those of you who are asking what you can do to stop the name change, it’s too late, it’s already happened, and I’m bummed about it too. The guy in the interview owns the Kellogg Hotel and was just voted to president of the neighborhood association. I believe he was anti The Quarters and Park East, but I might be wrong. He is building a bunch of stuff on 24th and Howard as well where he owns more property I think.

It’s late and I’m on mobile so I apologize for how poorly written this is. I hope this helps piece together the weird renaming of this cool part of town.
Oh interesting! Though as a resident of Chicago's Uptown.... what's wrong with Uptown? haha.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Seems like an 'Uptown' should be west of Midtown though. What's wrong with Park East?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that I do elevenhouse. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Well, if enough people in the neighborhood hate it, it could be reversed. I don't live there, so I can't devote too much energy to it. Glad to know there's a good deal of internal friction over it though, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Until there's physical signs in the neighborhood, I'll hold hope.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It's good to know that the neighborhood went through the process of trying to get input from people with a stake in it.

Thinking about the area more, it does kind of make sense that the area east of I-480, which is a barrier of sorts, should have it's own name, leaving the area between Turner Park and I-480 to be known as Park East. I still think the generic "West Downtown" makes more sense than "The Quarters", but I shouldn't get to vote.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

It seemed silly at first, but the more I think about it I actually like "The Twenties". It's better than The Quarters anyway...at least the Twenties have some relevant meaning to the area.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

JDJase wrote:It seemed silly at first, but the more I think about it I actually like "The Twenties". It's better than The Quarters anyway...at least the Twenties have some relevant meaning to the area.
Heh, I think too many people in the city would liken it to the old strip club.

Personally, I think Park East is serviceable enough and there didn't need to be a new name.

Some others I've thought of the past few days are: Joslyn Square for the shape of the neighborhood, Vente Central which incorporates Spanish, 20's, and Central High, Historic Auto District, obviously. Twenty Quarters Neighborhood, better than THE Quarters in my opinion, or at that point just call it The Five Spot.

I don't know man, it just seems like if The Quarters is the best they could do then they weren't trying too hard.
Jones
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jones »

I’ve been following this forum daily for nearly 15 or 16 years, even back when it was eomaha.com. Never posted before. But thought I’d chime in that I like the name “The Quarters.” I’m clearly in the minority here, but thought for that reason I’d express my opinion. I like the Quarters over all the other names discussed. Just my opinion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome Mr Jones, glad you finally posted here. And you as well eleven house.
Years ago I pushed for Auto Row, but this district is now larger than just Farnam St.
Then came along the Harney development, Travers Row, Even Hotel, 402, Farnam 25, Holiday Inn Express...
This area has recently undergone a drastic reinvention that you can hardly recognize it.

I like the name Park East, but only because that is what I have known it as.
If this is a relatively recent designation, then the locals should rebrand it as they deem appropriate .
No matter what name is chosen there will be detractors until something sticks.
(I still pray to god No.Do never sticks)

I could live with the Quarters, but they (whoever they is) would need to spend lots of coin for this rebranding.
I'm just glad to hear there were meetings and studies by those with vested interests to come up with something appropriate.
hav4
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hav4 »

I'd rather just name it after a street going through the neighborhood, calling it "Farnam Park" or something like that to keep the "park" in the name.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

Clearly, the neighborhood should be called Blue Jeans no matter what they decide to officially call it.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

hav4 wrote:I'd rather just name it after a street going through the neighborhood, calling it "Farnam Park" or something like that to keep the "park" in the name.
Simple and "boring" as that is, It's reasonable and I like it.

I personally like a name with the word square in it, since this area is a near perfect square.

Even the word Quarters along with a word that is relevant to the area is not bad. "Howard Quarters", "East Quarters", "Park Quarters", "Central Quarters". But "The Quarters" just sounds pompous and dismissive of the actual history and character of the neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

In college we used to play a game called Quarters. It involved Vodka.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:In college we used to play a game called Quarters. It involved Vodka.

You stopped playing? :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:In college we used to play a game called Quarters. It involved Vodka.
You stopped playing? :mrgreen:
I stopped using Quarters. :yes:
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Could be worse. Could be East Farm.