Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by skinzfan23 »

Noticed this morning that BCBS building LED light's were pink this morning. Does anyone know if they change those similar to CLink?

Also noticed that Genesis Health installed their new sign yesterday.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Noticed this morning that BCBS building LED light's were pink this morning. Does anyone know if they change those similar to CLink?

Tommorow is World cancer awareness day, might be associated to that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Noticed this morning that BCBS building LED light's were pink this morning. Does anyone know if they change those similar to CLink?

Tommorow is World cancer awareness day, might be associated to that.
Feb 3, 2017 is Go Red for Women's Day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BTW BCBS's LED ribbon can go Blue, Red, Green and Orange. It also has a program for 'Sparkle' but it is not installed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also - This is the first time in the 6 year history of the building that BCBS has actually used a different LED color - because it is too hard to maintain.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:BTW BCBS's LED ribbon can go Blue, Red, Green and Orange. It also has a program for 'Sparkle' but it is not installed.
Well isn't that faaabulouuuuus. Can it go UNTS UNTS UNTS?
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Coyote wrote:Also - This is the first time in the 6 year history of the building that BCBS has actually used a different LED color - because it is too hard to maintain.
too hard to maintain. What do you mean by that?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Also - This is the first time in the 6 year history of the building that BCBS has actually used a different LED color - because it is too hard to maintain.
Thats what I thought....I hadn't seen it any color except blue ever.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Cost.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Coyote wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Cost.
Cost of what? I don't understand.

My company does some multi-color building lighting. The main cost is replacing the bulbs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Cost of what? I don't understand.

My company does some multi-color building lighting. The main cost is replacing the bulbs.
I sure don't see the "cost" being an issue either. If anything, I could see places using "Cost" as excuse so people don't expect them to turn it. My opinion is it boils down to branding. Places that have a color associated with their brand don't like to stray from that color very often.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That's what the Manager of the Facilities told me.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks like the first steel of the Hilton Garden Inn went up in the past few days on the southwest section of the property.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Looks like the first steel of the Hilton Garden Inn went up in the past few days on the southwest section of the property.
Two Pieces!

Its amazing how big this property is when you see all the stuff on it.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

More steel finally going up:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I always forget this is going in back there. Great use of space, much better land use than the two along 67th.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:I always forget this is going in back there. Great use of space, much better land use than the two along 67th.
I agree. The hotels on 67th look great from the street but if you go behind them there is a sea of parking for the hotels and UNO students. Hopefully some day in the future they will build a garage there and create a much better look and use.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF for apartments along 64th on the backside of the HDR block before planning board.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

iamjacobm wrote:TIF for apartments along 64th on the backside of the HDR block before planning board.
64th Ave & Frances?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:TIF for apartments along 64th on the backside of the HDR block before planning board.
64th Ave & Frances?
Zone 6 - 6460 Frances Street and 6465 Shirley Street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, I have to admit I have been out of the loop on this, but from an earlier schematic I made, it looks like this may be two complexes like the CUE, set to hide the parking garage, I only can imagine that the apartments will be going here:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What were the failed projects?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

They have to be ancient. Those foundations have been visible from 72nd St for at least a decade.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

riceweb wrote:They have to be ancient. Those foundations have been visible from 72nd St for at least a decade.
No kidding!
RNcyanide wrote:What were the failed projects?
Crappy apartments
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
riceweb wrote:They have to be ancient. Those foundations have been visible from 72nd St for at least a decade.
No kidding!
Crappy apartments
Wow, I'm gonna have go look next time I go by that way.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
No kidding!
Crappy apartments
Wow, I'm gonna have go look next time I go by that way.
If memory serves, they were being built by a developer from Minneapolis right before the crash. They were intended to be light commercial developments, and the building in my opinion looked like large suburban houses. Only one of the buildings were completed before work on the project halted. This was a casualty of the crash of 2008. Although there will be an increase in traffic, I think apartments will be a great fit for the area.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

The Gold Mountain restaurant on Mercy just south of Pauli's is now open.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
No kidding!
Crappy apartments
Hmmm, I guess I'm wrong. I used to drive by there every day around 2002-2003 when I worked in the Aksarben area. I could have sworn they were from those crappy apartments, but I guess that's not the case. In other news, the apartments were recently renovated and look decent on the inside.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wood framing for the 2nd floor is going up on the Hilton Garden Inn.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A friend from here was recently at an office in Aksarben Village for a presentation. We were chatting today about AV. He quizzed me on the development and why it looked like it was designed by a committee of blind people. I gave him the history, Aksarben, empty for years, early FDR and UNO buildings, etc. We both said the same thing. The land had a lot of potential for a planned unit development with design standards and a more cohesive design. He mentioned a similar situation in a city whose name just jumped right out of my brain. He was describing how much better that one came out. We did agree that it's a good thing that it got developed and is so far along though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (231.67 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Ok, I have to admit I have been out of the loop on this, but from an earlier schematic I made, it looks like this may be two complexes like the CUE, set to hide the parking garage, I only can imagine that the apartments will be going here:
image.jpeg
Correct. Each will be 5 stories containing 54 units. Requesting a little over $1.65 million in TIF.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
Love that.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Put this in the rumor section for now, but, the lot next to Pac Life may have a building sooner than later.
Noddle is negotiating with Right at Home which has their Corporate HQ in the Security National building in Aksarben Village, and would anchor the building occupying 2 of the 5 floors.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Put this in the rumor section for now, but, the lot next to Pac Life may have a building sooner than later.
Noddle is negotiating with Right at Home which has their Corporate HQ in the Security National building in Aksarben Village, and would anchor the building occupying 2 of the 5 floors.
This is off topic, but Right at Home and Home Instead are two big time businesses in that industry that are HQd in Omaha.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I hate to be a Negative Nancy but...wth is this? :sly:

From a distance this place looks nice. Materials are unique and interesting, but upon closer inspection, its a pretty bad design.

First of all, what's with the setback? It's large enough that its annoying to have to walk through to access the building but small enough to be completely useless as a public space. And its not as if its needed for a lack of nature, there are generous curb bumpouts at the corners with grass and trees in them. This is useless and not much to even look at.

Second, why not put the entrance on the corner of 64th and Frances where people coming from both streets could have easier access to it, particularly considering that Frances leads to the commercial sector? Instead it's as far away from Frances as you could put it. Also, could the front door BE any more inconspicuous? Is this an apartment building, or an outpost for MI6?

Third, why do all the interesting architectural elements begin at the second floor above where most people will view the building? On the first floor, you get a brick wall and some fake windows. Oh boy, how stimulating to walk next to...and on both streets that bisect it? Hot dog!

The Broadmoor across the street is probably worse but...statute of limitations.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I hate to be a Negative Nancy but...wth is this? :sly:

From a distance this place looks nice. Materials are unique and interesting, but upon closer inspection, its a pretty bad design.

First of all, what's with the setback? It's large enough that its annoying to have to walk through to access the building but small enough to be completely useless as a public space. And its not as if its needed for a lack of nature, there are generous curb bumpouts at the corners with grass and trees in them. This is useless and not much to even look at.

Second, why not put the entrance on the corner of 64th and Frances where people coming from both streets could have easier access to it, particularly considering that Frances leads to the commercial sector? Instead it's as far away from Frances as you could put it. Also, could the front door BE any more inconspicuous? Is this an apartment building, or an outpost for MI6?

Third, why do all the interesting architectural elements begin at the second floor above where most people will view the building? On the first floor, you get a brick wall and some fake windows. Oh boy, how stimulating to walk next to...and on both streets that bisect it? Hot dog!

The Broadmoor across the street is probably worse but...statute of limitations.
That's the Cue right? They put a whole lot of lanscaping around it about a month ago which makes it look a lot better.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: First of all, what's with the setback? It's large enough that its annoying to have to walk through to access the building but small enough to be completely useless as a public space. And its not as if its needed for a lack of nature, there are generous curb bumpouts at the corners with grass and trees in them. This is useless and not much to even look at.
It must be part of mixed use agreement for Aksarben. Whit the exception of the east wall of DJ's Dugout, every building in Aksarben is set back about that far from the property line. Even the new HRD building will be setback too.
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Second, why not put the entrance on the corner of 64th and Frances where people coming from both streets could have easier access to it, particularly considering that Frances leads to the commercial sector? Instead it's as far away from Frances as you could put it. Also, could the front door BE any more inconspicuous? Is this an apartment building, or an outpost for MI6?
Only thing I can thing is that there is a pedestrian entrance to the parking garage just to the left of the main door.
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Third, why do all the interesting architectural elements begin at the second floor above where most people will view the building? On the first floor, you get a brick wall and some fake windows. Oh boy, how stimulating to walk next to...and on both streets that bisect it? Hot dog!
The first floor is parking, floors 2-4 are apartments, I guess the first floor being different and a little more plane doesn't really bother me. Its my favorite of the three apartment complexes in Aksarben. The inside is nice too.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If you look at DOGIS, the building is only setback about 5' from property line at the west side of the 70' wide right-of-way. Maybe they were leaving space for a patio or some other outdoor function between the building and sidewalk. I like the materials on the upper portion, as they add some variety to the materials used on the other buildings, instead of copying them.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.