Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

If they put any kind of parking on Center they are |expletive| retarded. I'm guessing (hoping) that it is a turn lane into Ak Village.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

the1wags wrote:If they put any kind of parking on Center they are |expletive| retarded. I'm guessing (hoping) that it is a turn lane into Ak Village.
Well, that too.  8)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Not a turn lane, it is absolutely on-street parking along Center...which is a great thing for the retail that will be right there at the corner of 67th and Center. Not sure why you would think on-street parking is bad there, it is a critical element for viable retail.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

it may be difficult to navigate a spot with the increasing traffic...it could be something like having on street parking along 72nd :-P
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Thats just asking for accidents there. I'm all for ped friendly and slowing traffic measures but come on. As new guy said, why not then just put up some parallel parking up on 72nd st for the Furniture Mart. :roll:
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

The Mart isn't a pedestrian friendly place, Aksarben is. You are comparing apples to oranges. Center Street doesn't need to be a raceway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some parallel parking in front of Goldberg's on Dodge?

They are proposing putting on-street parking on Saddle Creek Road, that gets about the same amount of traffic that Center does. It is really a non-issue in the traffic world. People have mirrors on their cars, when you get in and out of the spaces you just have to look to see when cars aren't coming. When there is a car behind you and you want to get in the space, you turn on a signal. It isn't rocket science.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Speed bumps can slow the traffic, but if there are street lights it would be similar to parking somewhere DT.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I agree with Harpoon in his previous 2 post.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Forgive me if this is a re-post... but I hadn't seen this rendering before... a nice one...

For those keeping score... I believe this is 67th looking north between Mercy and Francis.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Forgive me if this is a re-post... but I hadn't seen this rendering before... a nice one...

For those keeping score... I believe this is 67th looking north between Mercy and Francis.
Thats Freaking AWESOME!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That was in the paper some time ago talking about how that was going to be some type of arcade or Family Fun Center type place. I had meant to post it but by the time I remembered it was no longer in the paper.
DTO
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I think they need to lower the speed limit or those pedestrians are going to get killed. :lol:  

Thanks for the pic.  It looks better than I imagined.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Wow, that is really nice. I hope that's what we can expect from the entire project.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for posting that fantastic rendering.  I hadn't seen it before.

Work is FLYING at the site right now.  There are foundations and even some walls up for some of the projects.  Some one should take pictures.  :;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks for posting that fantastic rendering.  I hadn't seen it before.

Work is FLYING at the site right now.  There are foundations and even some walls up for some of the projects.  Some one should take pictures.  :;):
I will....

when I go back to Omaha in a month.  :D
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i need to drive down dodge and take a left on 72nd.  I haven't been over there in a while...  Looks good!  Anyone know if there are any renderings like that of Midtown Crossing?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It looks like I might have to "go out west" and see this some time. :)
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Newguy, are you |expletive| serious?  Go to the Midtown Crossing website.  :?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Newguy, are you |expletive| serious?  Go to the Midtown Crossing website.  :?
Yes, i'm |expletive| serious.  I don't get much chance to cruise the internet.  I check here a couple times a day, and that's about it.  I haven't been a member of the forum for nearly as long as you guys, and therefor have not had an opportunity to browse every single thread, look at a couple hundred pages of posts, and view every link that has been put up each day.  I am playing catch up, but with as active as this forum is, i haven't made it back to the inception of Midtown Crossing's first renderings, etc.  I apologize to you all for asking those questions, i'll do better to read everything first.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

!@!

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Sorry man.

I had a frustrating day at work, and it was a knee-jerk response.

I will say, don't ever hesitate to ask questions, but maybe do a little checking before you do.  Often times the answer will be within the last few posts.  You may have to look a few pages back once in a while.  Another good tip is, if you're looking for basic info on a project or for renderings, check the FIRST few pages of a thread, because often times that's where the meat and potatoes of the project are, before we all start discussing the |expletive| out of it.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, and my mom would say, "go put on your nice black pants" (for example), and I would walk into my room, glance in my closet and yell, "I can't find them!" "They're hanging in your closet," she would reply.  I'd glance again, "I can't find them!"  To which she would reply, "I'll come in there and look, but if I find them hanging in the closet, you're in trouble."  I'd say, "no, that's ok," and actually do a little digging.  And what do you know, there they would be hanging in the closet right in front of me.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy
County Board

Re: !@!

Post by thenewguy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Sorry man.

I was had a frustrating day at work, and it was a knee-jerk response.

I will say, don't ever hesitate to ask questions, but maybe do a little checking before you do.  Often times the answer will be within the last few posts.  You may have to look a few pages back once in a while.  Another good tip is, if you're looking for basic info on a project or for renderings, check the FIRST few pages of a thread, because often times that's where the meat and potatoes of the project are, before we all start discussing the |expletive| out of it.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, and my mom would say, "go put on your nice black pants" (for example), and I would walk into my room, glance in my closet and yell, "I can't find them!" "They're hanging in your closet," she would reply.  I'd glance again, "I can't find them!"  To which she would reply, "I'll come in there and look, but if I find them hanging in the closet, you're in trouble."  I'd say, "no, that's ok," and actually do a little digging.  And what do you know, there they would be hanging in the closet right in front of me.
It's all good man, work has been kicking my |expletive| lately, too, and put me a little on edge.  I'll do better to think before i speak, and look a little harder and i may "find my black pants" before "mom" finds them hanging in the closet for me :)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Twiztid1 wrote:That rendering looks great.  Hopefully they include some bike racks.
Double true.

You hope they would with the close proximity to the keystone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few pics from yesterday:

Looking NE off of Center St.

67th Street Entrance looking North

67th Entrance looking South

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The hill is gone.

Construction is well underway, but no good photographic locations.

Here is the property to the south of center:

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That looks awesome.

They really need to get rid of the other trailer park on Center though...
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I believe the Starbucks opens Nov 30th.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i wonder if they are actually going to call that area zone 5 like the rendering and billboard say
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yes that's what it's called. There was an article about in in the paper and online but it somehow never made it's way to the forum.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

papiostud wrote:I believe the Starbucks opens Nov 30th.
Starbucks opening Friday at Aksarben Place
Omaha World Herald wrote:Starbucks Coffee will open Friday at Aksarben Place, 63rd and Center Streets. Other tenants at the center include Great Clips, Jimi D's Food & Spirits, Tan World, and Mod Studio Salon. Great Clips is planning a December opening, with Tan World and Jimi D's to open mid-January and Mod Studio Salon will open in March.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omahastylee459 wrote:i wonder if they are actually going to call that area zone 5 like the rendering and billboard say
Aksarben Village offers groundbreaking concepts
Omaha World Herald wrote:The first of up to 1,000 office and retail workers are expected to move into new quarters at Aksarben Village by early next summer. It is Magnum Development's plans for the entertainment area known as Zone 5, expected to serve as the community magnet for the $200 million overall project.

Zone 5 should provide a very different experience for all Omahans. For example, the V will be a boutique bowling alley and fun center. By day, said John Hughes, Magnum's president, it will be oriented toward families. "Think Dave & Buster's meets Lucky Strike," he said, comparing the V to the popular food-and-games concept and the funky big-city bowling chain. Upstairs from the V will be the 12-screen Cosmopolitan, an all-digital theater that will show movies during the evening after hosting teleconferences and presentations in its screening rooms in the mornings and early afternoons.

Zone 5, which also will include a fitness center, restaurants and other businesses, probably won't open until the spring of 2009, Hughes said. By that time, the office space and residential areas in the initial construction stage should be complete, he said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few more pictures

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

theyve poured the first floor walls of part of the residential development and it seems like its going to be a pretty large structure, and i noticed today that there is a two story steel frame going up for office buildings
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Well it looks like I'll never be studying senior year if those renderings are realalistic.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

thats awesome!!

I've been looking and hoping and praying and finally, I now can go to starbucks!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Blue Cross considers Ak-Sar-Ben for office
Omaha World Herald wrote:Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska may move its home office to a new building to be constructed on the former Ak-Sar-Ben property, east of its present headquarters at 72nd Street and Mercy Road. The company said Friday it had signed a memorandum of understanding with a developer for a preliminary "due diligence" study on the possibility of leasing such a building, located just north of Frances Street and east of Ak-Sar-Ben Drive. Blue Cross' existing headquarters offices and parking areas are crowded, although Blue Cross bought the nearby Omaha Tower in 1999. Some Omaha civic leaders have said they hope Blue Cross would build or occupy a new corporate headquarters downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1.  Utilities going in

2.  First floor poured, and setting girders for next floor

3.  Block walls going up

4.  2 floors of steel up.

Still no good places to take photos yet!

[img][img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6239 ... raftz6.jpg[/img][/img]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Area 4 from the map above:

Area 3 From the map above:

Parrallel Parking on center street:
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for sharing - and welcome to eOmahaForums.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You all know how much I LOVE this project.

But can I just say that I just went onto the AV website, and they're claiming to be "Omaha's only urban, mixed-use community" and to be located "in the heart of Midtown Omaha."  Both of those statements are BLATANTLY untrue.

Anyway, much love, Aksarban Village, just stop misleading!  8)