Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Fantastic!

I drive past the signage on the shuttle bus from UNO's south campus almost daily. I always look at the sign and dream... I want it to be real, so I'm so excited that it's moving forward!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They haven't posted if they received their TIF yet - but here is a teaser:

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Wow, they're going to develop the |expletive| out of that area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You have to love that obelisk along Center!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Compare this dense development with the FDR garbage just to the north, what a wasted opportunity that campus is...same with PKI. This will definitely be a huge draw to "Midtown" Omaha.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

this is the project i am most excited about in the metro. Its good to see that there has been paperwork progress, i only wish it were actually work progress. I want there to be some bars open there by time I turn 21! Unfortunately I dont think thats going to happen, considering that is mid next year. I cant wait for this to start!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

2nd reading at the city council meeting on the 26th. Getting closer!!

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... c/1091.pdf
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I think this would be a great place for Ameritrade to build their office. They would be a great anchor for this project
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

He said it would be a great place for Ameritrade to build... not that he thinks Ameritrade will build there. Regardless of what you think of the company, most of us would rather see them relocate into town somewhere, rather than out in the sticks... however likely or unlikely that may be.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

It would make sense for Ameritrade to rebuild right where they are currently located, at the Southroads site, or even just to the south at the No Frills / Richman Gordman location. Many of their employees are military wives, and that is a convenient location for them with easy access to downtown Omaha as well as the airport.
Scuzz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scuzz »

Harpoon wrote:It would make sense for Ameritrade to rebuild right where they are currently located, at the Southroads site, or even just to the south at the No Frills / Richman Gordman location. Many of their employees are military wives, and that is a convenient location for them with easy access to downtown Omaha as well as the airport.
I doubt that Ameritrade really gives a |expletive| where their employees live, so they'll build their new campus at a location that is best suited for their interests.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Whatever
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

They got their TIF in a big way.
The first step in turning the ground where horse racing fans once roared into a residential, office and entertainment district won unanimous approval Tuesday from the Omaha City Council.

The council approved the Aksarben Village project for tax increment financing.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2250440
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Exciting news in the Saturday Morning W-H..The story link is not yet available online..But C David Kotok has written a front page piece detailing the development of the AkSarBen Village area..And what an urban neighborhood it will become!..

The total project value is $166 Million..And will include a 138 room Courtyard by Marriott hotel at 67th and Pine St..A new movie theatre unlike any movie house in the city called 'The Cosmopolitan Theatre'..A 14,500 Sq Ft Wohlners Grocery store..Multiple mixed use entertainment/office and residential space..Including 605 residentail units consisting of apartments and townhouses..A full service fitness center..A signature park at 67th and Center St..

Overall..280,000 Sq Ft of development..

Omaha is basically creating another cool, lively urban neighborhood which is SO important in providing healthy urban infill well within the Omaha city limits..The 'heart' of this development is 67th and 'Main Sts' (which will be a newly developed 'Main St')..

This news is So HUGE for Omaha..Once the story links are provided, I'm sure one of us will post them here with a preview..

This is awesome, AWESOME news for Omaha!..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And here we are..From the W-H:

'Five developers have teamed up to raise an urban village in the heart of Omaha, providing a blend of apartments, town houses, office buildings, stores, restaurants, movie theaters and a hotel.

A signature park will be placed on what is viewed as the most valuable piece of ground, at 67th Street and West Center Road. A 90-foot tower or obelisk, visible from Interstate 80, will be a centerpiece of the village.

To make it economically viable, the City Council this week approved more than $20 million in tax increment financing, or TIF, to pay for the new streets, sewers, park and site preparation. TIF is a way to subsidize a project by letting the new property tax revenue it generates pay for part of the development.

The total project is expected to cost $166 million.

Developers, architects and planners all used the word "unique" when describing the opportunity to create a new neighborhood on 70 acres in the middle of a city.'..

The complete C David Kotok W-H piece link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2252252

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And this side piece with more emphisis on the tenants..Specifically, emphisis on Wohlners Grocery and 'The Cosmopolitan Theatre'..

From the W-H:

'Mostly, however, the businesses - including a movie theater and a grocer - like who their neighbors will be in the complex of shops, restaurants, offices, apartments, town houses, hotel, fitness center and park near single-family neighborhoods and college campuses.

The mosaic created by eclectic pieces that will make up Aksarben Village will "completely change the way people view the dinner-and-a-movie experience," said Bill Barstow, owner of Main Street Theatres, which plans a 12-screen theater as part of the project.'..

The complete story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2252206

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

For those looking for a downtown grocery store --- this part was interesting
Wohlner's Grocery

Owner Mike Schwartz takes seriously the responsibility he's inherited for the family grocery store at 52nd and Leavenworth Streets.

Schwartz commissioned a market study and rejected free rent downtown as he contemplated a move aimed at gaining space while still providing personalized service and a focus on quality meats, fine wines and specialty products.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yeah..I thought the same thing uffda..

Give it another 18-24 months and I think downtown Omaha will be ready for a full service type grocery store..The timing isnt quite right yet..

Think 2008 :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I really like what's going to happen.

BUT

Why is it so easy for this project to take off, have tenants, and a timeline but North DT is taking so long? That also sucks to hear that he was given free rent DT and turned it down. Add Wohlners to my boycott list.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

New construction I am sure plays a part and at Aksarben you're close to the $$$ in Westside and Dundee. I'd say this has taken sometime to get off of the ground as well, and they still haven't even started construction on anything. North Downtown will take off when ever the baseball stadium gets the go ahead. Another legislative session is coming up so maybe this year.

This is going to be a cool area though. Nice to see some quality urban renewal in the heart of the city, and a new university community for UNO.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

And I am glad they won't develop it like the FDR, PKI, Scott Dorms, and Scott Conference Center garbage that was on the rest of the original Aksarben property. This will be a great destination for the Omaha metro.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I really like what's going to happen.

BUT

Why is it so easy for this project to take off, have tenants, and a timeline but North DT is taking so long? That also sucks to hear that he was given free rent DT and turned it down. Add Wohlners to my boycott list.
It was a business decision. This isn't personal. He took a long time to study the issue. To boycott Wohlners, in my opinion, is unfair.

There is a lot of construction in north downtown and it is very exciting. Lots of jobs and lots more to come. However, it is still riskier than the Aksarben location. Like it or not lenders still are more reluctant to loan for north downtown than at aksarben.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would like to say what a great set of articles in todays OWH. They had great coverage and great rendering. Props to the Omaha World Hearold.

Speeking of renderings, does anyone have copies of todays renderings?
midtown charlie
Human Relations

DTO, also need to realize that he is currently at 52nd and Leavenworth. He is actually moving his store (not opening a 2nd location) so why would he move 40 blocks away from most of his customer base. He is moving 20 blocks away so is still close enough to keep his loyal customers.

On the positive side since he will now be at Ak Village he might be able to open a downtown location someday and not split his customer base. His move might also make a grocery store in Dundee more realistic since the area is losing Wohlner's.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote: Why is it so easy for this project to take off, have tenants, and a timeline but North DT is taking so long? That also sucks to hear that he was given free rent DT and turned it down. Add Wohlners to my boycott list.
Doug Bisson was involved in this development..The vision was his baby..North Downtown continues to be a work in progress..But there IS progress there..We just broke ground on two new hotels..I know this has been stated by yours truly many in the past: Be patient..

And I agree that boycotting Wohlners would be unfair..The owner made a business decision..And it's not like he's opening a 2nd store..He made a business decision to move his Leavenworth store to this new urban neighborhood..The timing for DT and a full service grovery store is not quite right yet..It will be..But think 2008!..

10 years from now, we'll all be marveling at how these developments like AkSarBen Village and North Downtown have helped push Omaha through as a top national example of new urbanist success..Be happy folks..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have the paper I just haven't read it yet. That also kind of sucks that he's moving his store. That's one less place to go on this side of town.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

D'shawn,

Aksarben Village has been in the planning stages since 1996. When I interned with Doug Bisson in 2004, the masterplan for "north downtown" was not yet even finished and had only been in the works for a few months to a year.

Aksarben Village did NOT happen overnight.

Another factor is that AV is a HUGE land area all with ONE owner..the Aksarben Future Trust. That made it easy to have a unified plan with a team of developers focusing on the area as a cohesive whole.

"North downtown" is divided into tons of privately owned parcels. It complicates things.

Regardless, both visions are remarkable, and I'm excited to see progress on both.

IMAGINE! Aksarben Village/UNO, UNMC/Midtown/Mutual, and Downtown/Old Market all connected by modern STREETCARS!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Funny you mention Mutual. It's on a much smaller land area yet will cost twice as much as AKV. Now THAT'S impressive.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I agree. The OWH coverage on this piece was pretty impressive, with the cover story on the front page, and the detailed analysis of some of the key tenents on the front page of the business section. This is a project that looks like it will really happen! And it is right on the #15 busline! I am as excited about this one as I am the Mutual project.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

No links or renderings? That's unusual on this site.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New life for former Ak-Sar-Ben sites
Omaha World Herald wrote:Noddle Development of Omaha signed on in May 2005 to put a package together after examining similar developments in other cities, including near Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology outside Boston.

Noddle picked Urban Design Associates of Pittsburgh to come up with a master plan and strict building requirements that far exceeded the Omaha By Design guidelines for materials, streetscapes and parking.

A signature park will be placed on what is viewed as the most valuable piece of ground, at 67th Street and West Center Road. A 90-foot tower or obelisk, visible from Interstate 80, will be a centerpiece of the village.

Tenants eager for Aksarben Village
Omaha World Herald wrote:Mostly, however, the businesses - including a movie theater and a grocer - like who their neighbors will be in the complex of shops, restaurants, offices, apartments, town houses, hotel, fitness center and park near single-family neighborhoods and college campuses.

The mosaic created by eclectic pieces that will make up Aksarben Village will "completely change the way people view the dinner-and-a-movie experience," said Bill Barstow, owner of Main Street Theatres, which plans a 12-screen theater as part of the project.
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

For what it is worth I am watching the KETV news and they just said that the owner of Wolhners has told them he is not sure if he is closing the store on leavenworth.
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:No links or renderings? That's unusual on this site.
Check the end of Page 6 in this thread..I posted the same links to the same W-H pieces (which Coyote just did) once the W-H added them to their online site Saturday morning..When the threads get a little longer like this one, you just need to check 'em a bit more carefully..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Thanks Cowboy.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

On tv this morning Wohlner's was running commercials and saying to come to the 52nd and Leavenworth location. Kind of odd considering they are going to be moving from that location.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:Thanks Cowboy.
You're welcome MB.. :) ..

That new Wohlners to be built in AkSarBen Village wont open for at least a year or so..So I don't think it's odd that they'd be running promos for their store on Leavenworth..

By then, we may have news on a new DT grocer though :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Maybe Wolhners could move into downtown Dundee in the old Hardware store. I guess that fate will be decided in the next week or so when they auction off those buildings.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wohlner's in Dundee wouldn't be bad.

The out of AKV, Dundee, and DT, the 52nd and Leavenworth location would be the least desirable.

-It's not nearly as walkable as Dundee or DT.
-It doesn't have nearly the parking that AKV will.

So it would seem that they have a pretty faithful clientele. I hope they would reconsider rejecting a DT location. Being the only game in town down there would be to there benefit.
DTO
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

DTO Luv, You have a good point. One thing you have not considered:

Wohlner's (52nd and Leavenworth location) has a lot of customer walking a block from the Masonic Manor, a tower to the east of Wohlner's, to shop. It is a convenient for a few people to have Carless shopping.

In a way that is what Aksarben Village is about. The residents of Aksarben Village will have near carless shopping.

Aksarben Village is a great idea; I can’t wait to see it built and spend some time exploring it!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Ok but there's one residential tower by Wohlner's. How many more residential buildings are DT? Lots more. You would have a lot more walk-in shoppers DT. I would bet you most of the people driving to shop are going to the Baker's a few blocks down the street.

As well as it's worked in other cities I still don't see why it's taking so long for a grocer to open up DT. As I kind of showed Wohlner's works in it's current location and it's not nearly as convenient for pedestrians as a DT location would be.
DTO