Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by daveoma »

It would be interesting to know the traffic capacity of center & 72nd street in that area. I know that 72nd street southbound approaching the interstate is usually backed up sitting evening rush hour.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:It would be interesting to know the traffic capacity of center & 72nd street in that area. I know that 72nd street southbound approaching the interstate is usually backed up sitting evening rush hour.
When the city had reps at a Baxter Arena meeting, they seemed to be happy with their ability to handle the traffic of a large concert...
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
choke wrote:You know this is happening
That is the most worthless map. No street names or north arrow. Where is that site within Aksarben village?
Sorry about that. I believe that would be the infamous "Zone 6."
Yes, that would be the former Waitt Plaza, Zone 6 schematic I made a few years ago to show what was being planned for that plot. Anything goes right now, save that it will have an 8-10 story building and a 1000+ car parking garage.

Now if HDR becomes the main tenant on the former Waitt Plaza, the height of the building will be in question.
That's a good point. Perhaps this wouldn't be feasible.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

They have been putting in the supports/piers for the new UNO dorm at 67th & Pine for a couple of weeks.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

A big green Boyd Jones Construction storage trailer(?) has been moved onto the block known as Zone 6. It is at the East end near the temporary parking lot. They must be going to start work over there. Now y'all just have to figure out what. CORRECTION: It is a Byrne & Jones trailer. I was given bad info. Here is their website so you can figure out what they may be doing: http://www.byrneandjones.com/
Last edited by hatwate on Fri May 06, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote:A big green Boyd Jones Construction storage trailer(?) has been moved onto the block known as Zone 6. It is at the East end near the temporary parking lot. They must be going to start work over there. Now y'all just have to figure out what.
You sure that is not for the Condos?
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Coyote wrote:
hatwate wrote:A big green Boyd Jones Construction storage trailer(?) has been moved onto the block known as Zone 6. It is at the East end near the temporary parking lot. They must be going to start work over there. Now y'all just have to figure out what.
You sure that is not for the Condos?
Assuming by condos you mean the other apartment building that is supposed to go in S of the new Cue building under construction at 64th Ave & Frances, I am reasonably sure that it isn't. I would think those would be built by the same company that is doing the Cue bldg as both buildings were always described as part of the same development and its construction office is still in place (not Boyd Jones). Also, I believe Boyd Jones probably wouldn't be involved in something as small as that building will be. Finally, it is quite aways from that piece of land.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

BTW, the rental information site is up for the Cue apartments with exterior pictures of the building: https://www.abodo.com/omaha-ne/2110-64th-ave. Not sure they are going to make the 7/1/16 availability date though.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

hatwate wrote:BTW, the rental information site is up for the Cue apartments with exterior pictures of the building: https://www.abodo.com/omaha-ne/2110-64th-ave. Not sure they are going to make the 7/1/16 availability date though.
Wow, those prices are pretty high for the small size.

BEDS BATH RENT SIZE AVAILABLE
Studio 1 Bath $830 418 ft2 July 1st, 2016
1 Bed 1 Bath $1,040 622 ft2 July 1st, 2016
1 Bed 1 Bath $1,050 682 ft2 July 1st, 2016
2 Beds 2 Baths $1,250 926 ft2 July 1st, 2016
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

GreenPlains

Post by MSizlack »

Is GreenPlains building a small parking garage to the East of their new building? It looks like they are drilling footings for something.
Coyote
City Council

Re: GreenPlains

Post by Coyote »

MSizlack wrote:Is GreenPlains building a small parking garage to the East of their new building? It looks like they are drilling footings for something.
Yes, they are starting on their garage, it was cheaper than adding an extra floor to Tetrad's garage that BCBS and Gordmans uses. It should be finished by mid September, before the Green Plains building is ready...
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

My post earlier today about a Boyd Jones trailer on Zone 6 was wrong. It is a BYRNE Jones trailer. Sorry, I didn't catch this in time to delete the original post. They have to do with concrete, asphalt, and soil stabilization: http://www.byrneandjones.com/
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

skinzfan23 wrote:
hatwate wrote:BTW, the rental information site is up for the Cue apartments with exterior pictures of the building: https://www.abodo.com/omaha-ne/2110-64th-ave. Not sure they are going to make the 7/1/16 availability date though.
Wow, those prices are pretty high for the small size.

BEDS BATH RENT SIZE AVAILABLE
Studio 1 Bath $830 418 ft2 July 1st, 2016
1 Bed 1 Bath $1,040 622 ft2 July 1st, 2016
1 Bed 1 Bath $1,050 682 ft2 July 1st, 2016
2 Beds 2 Baths $1,250 926 ft2 July 1st, 2016
I agree but they might get away with it if they market it as literally in the middle of Aksarben.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Coyote wrote:
MSizlack wrote:Is GreenPlains building a small parking garage to the East of their new building? It looks like they are drilling footings for something.
Yes, they are starting on their garage, it was cheaper than adding an extra floor to Tetrad's garage that BCBS and Gordmans uses. It should be finished by mid September, before the Green Plains building is ready...
My understanding from talking to a buddy that works for Green Plains is that somehow the 2 garages will be connected... I think GP employees may have to drive through the BCBS garage to get to their spots. Something about not easy enough access to their garage from the street, as it wasn't in the original site plan.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ben wrote:
Coyote wrote:
My understanding from talking to a buddy that works for Green Plains is that somehow the 2 garages will be connected... I think GP employees may have to drive through the BCBS garage to get to their spots. Something about not easy enough access to their garage from the street, as it wasn't in the original site plan.
From my understanding yes, there will be a connection on the second level with Tetrad's garage, they will have to enter on the NW entrance, go up a level, swing around to the north... otherwise enter on the south entrance, go up a level and their entrance will be on the left...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:The Gordman's Building will soon be getting the second Eat, Fit, Go in the Omaha market.
From the World Herald:
Ready-to-eat meal supplier Eat Fit Go will open a second retail location this weekend at Aksarben Village.

Additional stores are slated to open in about three months at 149th Street and West Maple Road and later this year at 14th and Farnam Streets downtown, co-owner Sam Vakhidov said.
I am assuming the one @ 14th and Farnam is going to be next to the Tap House in the Paxton building. Can anyone confirm?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seen yesterday, east of the Pac Life Building.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.45 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Freshii opened today in base of PacLife bldg.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Seen yesterday, east of the Pac Life Building.
image.jpeg
So I take it that they are abandoning the old UP site for the "sandlot". Someone remind me what they do the sandlot for and why they keep bringing it back each year.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Makes no sense to me.
Now, if they would put sand volleyball courts in this area it could be a real attraction!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

skinzfan23 wrote:
image.jpeg
So I take it that they are abandoning the old UP site for the "sandlot". Someone remind me what they do the sandlot for and why they keep bringing it back each year.
Well the image posted above says #CWSSandlot (College World Series) and The Sandlot is a kids baseball movie.

Here is the website from their Twitter : http://bozell.com/work/cws-sandlot
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
image.jpeg
Well the image posted above says #CWSSandlot (College World Series) and The Sandlot is a kids baseball movie.

AV confirmed this is the one from downtown. Not sure why, unless PacLife or some other AV company is paying for it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

hatwate wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
image.jpeg

AV confirmed this is the one from downtown. Not sure why, unless PacLife or some other AV company is paying for it.
Obviously means Lanoha is breaking ground next week :;): .
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

But weren't they out earlier this year surveying the Lanoha lot for the sandlot?
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote:But weren't they out earlier this year surveying the Lanoha lot for the sandlot?
I thought that was the lot south of the movie theater and east of paclife.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
MTO wrote:But weren't they out earlier this year surveying the Lanoha lot for the sandlot?
I thought that was the lot south of the movie theater and east of paclife.
That is correct.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Earlier this year someone did some surveying on the old UP lot. They put down a pink stake in the middle of the lot and haven't been back.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

yard salad wrote:
Earlier this year someone did some surveying on the old UP lot. They put down a pink stake in the middle of the lot and haven't been back.
I was just interjecting that for fun and added curiosity.
15-17, 26, 32
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Does anyone know why the hotel at Frances and Aksarben Drive (just south of BCBS) hasn't been started? As I recall they were supposed to have a ground breaking in May.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote:Does anyone know why the hotel at Frances and Aksarben Drive (just south of BCBS) hasn't been started? As I recall they were supposed to have a ground breaking in May.

On March 8th I posted this:
Coyote wrote:I noticed there were Olsson surveyors on the Hilton site, so I approached them asking what was going on. It appears that there was a problem. Either they had initially surveyed the property incorrectly, or, the garage was built across property lines. Oops. They still believed ground breaking would be in May.
If it was true that the property lines were surveyed wrong, they may hav had to redesign... Not saying this is what Is happening but it could explain the delay.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was going to ask about the hotel today too. Hopefully they can have a groundbreaking soon.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Coyote wrote:
hatwate wrote:Does anyone know why the hotel at Frances and Aksarben Drive (just south of BCBS) hasn't been started? As I recall they were supposed to have a ground breaking in May.

On March 8th I posted this:
Coyote wrote:I noticed there were Olsson surveyors on the Hilton site, so I approached them asking what was going on. It appears that there was a problem. Either they had initially surveyed the property incorrectly, or, the garage was built across property lines. Oops. They still believed ground breaking would be in May.
If it was true that the property lines were surveyed wrong, they may hav had to redesign... Not saying this is what Is happening but it could explain the delay.
I couldn't find a building permit for this. There was some kind of application for rezoning that is closed and another having to do with flood plain development that is pending but that was it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote: I couldn't find a building permit for this. There was some kind of application for rezoning that is closed and another having to do with flood plain development that is pending but that was it.

I heard it was pushed back to the Fall.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is that garage connected to the big BCBS garage?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:Is that garage connected to the big BCBS garage?
If it isn't yet, it will be... Friends that work for Green Plains say that they will have to enter through BCBS to get to their garage.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Is that garage connected to the big BCBS garage?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably going to upset off all the DT or bust folks...

A/V is going to have an incredibly impressive collection of major players. BCBS, HDR, PacLife, Gordman's, DLR ect. Huge asset for UNO, Aksarben area/east O and Omaha at large.

The events, the jobs, the education aspect, the concept that is different from other job centers in the city. This is a huge success and should be a model for other large brownfield sites in Omaha and cities across the nation.

What is good for A/V is actually good for DT too. You can live DT and work in A/V with a decent commute, I have multiple friends that have bought their starter homes in the Aksarben area that work for UP. These multiple new urban areas like A/V and MTC are attracting people to the east side of the city onto our existing infrastructure and is a positive for the Big O.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

The Cue apartments at 64th Ave & Frances are open with residents moving in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cue Apartment Photo Update: