Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

lpgforms
New to the Neighborhood

Aksarben Village

Post by lpgforms »

I just heard on KFAB 12:00 news that there is going to be an announcement at 2:30 today about what is going to be developed on the remaining Aksarben property.

They weren't too specific, but mentioned that it would be a combination of commercial, residential and park space.
Coyote
City Council

Aksarben Village

Post by Coyote »

Ak plan includes hotel, park, shops
Omaha World Herald wrote:The most storied vacant lot in Omaha, Ak-Sar-Ben, would give rise to shops, restaurants, offices, apartments, town homes, a hotel and a park under plans revealed by the property's owners Monday.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Aksarben Village

Post by CountOfMC »

I'm losing track of all the developments going on. Guess it's a big city sign. 8)
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Wow, we've had one heck of a day in way of new announcements. With the Saddle Creek, Mutual, Novak's rumor, and now this, man I can't wait to see what else is comming. Think, its only monday, and, it may just be me, but don't announcements normally come at the end of the week?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Wow, that looks very impressive. But 7-10 years? :shock: I want it now...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Wow, that looks very impressive. But 7-10 years? :shock: I want it now...
Good things come to those who wait grasshopper..

:wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Wow, that looks very impressive. But 7-10 years? :shock: I want it now...
Immagine Omaha in 7-10 years. We will have North Downtown fully taking off, Midtown Mutual of Omaha taking off, and now Ak-sar-ben taking off. Oh, and we will have 6 new skyscrapers and 1 million people. :D (wishful thinking w/ the skyscrapers).
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I know this sounds freaky but I'm much more excited about the North Downtown (my apologies to anyone who doesn't like the name) and the Mutual development. It's great if it all happens but improving the core of Omaha (downtown, Dodge corridor, and near downtown) is more important to me. There are other areas of town that would be better served by this type of development.

I was hoping that all that is going on with UNO and the Tech center that it would develop more as a technology campus.

I'm sure it will be nice but to me the area had bigger possibilities. Heck, we've got a similar development going on in Lubbock.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/091402 ... 0005.shtml

http://www.mcdougal.com/construction/residential.shtml

http://www.mcdougal.com/real_estate/Condos_index.shtml

350 acre development with a pretty large percentage already completed or under construction.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

I think this really is a great opportunity for UNO to expand. It looks like they are aquiring more land, but I would like to see them pick up even more of it. This could be their chance to actually put up some dorms plus some additional buildings and allow the University to really take off.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

I can't wait to see what Omaha looks like in about 10 years. It's awesome to see all this infill and redevelopment going on.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

this is exactly what the students at UNO need, a place that they can walk to for entertainment and shopping. I was always jealous of other campuses that i have gone to that have everything in walking distance. Im glad to see that businesses in omaha finally have the sense to build their stores near college kids who rarely want to drive anywhere and would want to spend a lot of money on entertainment
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn
I think its going to be like you are use to up there in ames at college town. I think this will be great for helping uno attract students and further expansion. I noticed however it looks like a road is going to run right through a soccer field?
Brad
City Council

Ak vision: Be a destination again

Post by Brad »

Ak vision: Be a destination again

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1419305
Bisson said the Aksarben Village plan mimics pre-World War II neighborhoods that grew up near college campuses.
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Ak vision: Be a destination again

Post by WT »

Brad wrote:Ak vision: Be a destination again

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1419305
Bisson said the Aksarben Village plan mimics pre-World War II neighborhoods that grew up near college campuses.
What is the deal with this Bisson guy, he's everywhere.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Ak vision: Be a destination again

Post by Coyote »

WT wrote:What is the deal with this Bisson guy, he's everywhere.
HDR is one big firm. He's the Community Planning Manager
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Signs, signs everywhere there's signs!

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow. If it looks even half like that rendering looks... it will be spectacular!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That looks great! However, I must confess that I've been tainted with Washington DC. Streets lined with 6 story buildings created a killer urban feel that I'd love to see reproduced here. With any luck the majority of those building will be taller than the 3stories they appear to be. Roll your eyes if you must, but Finn can attest to the awesome feel in DT DC. I'm sure Aksarben Village will be great though.

It doesn't seem that aksarbenvillage.com is what its supposed to be.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Wow, that rendering has me excited!

I agree, Tuna! DC urban neighborhoods are amazing and vibrant. I know it might sound like blasphemy to some but, great urban neighborhoods have density, mixed-uses and vibrancy without the necessity of height. The renderings show a pedestrian scale that is important to create activity nodes.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thank you.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DT should have the height. :)
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Wow, that is awsome. Mabye we could make this our own little plaza type area.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:DT should have the height. :)
Yes, and 5/6 stories is not 'the height' so there's nothing to worry about. Three stories says suburban to me. In the rendering there are a few buildings which are 5 stories and to me that is a good target height for such an area which calls itself urban.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Three stories might say suburban if there were seas of parking lots separating each structure. This is NOT suburban (although it remains to be seen what is actually built).
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

yea 3-5 stories is PLENTY tall. Its freakin central Omaha. Save the tall stuff for downtown or midtown. And don't worry, they could build a few midrise hotels. :D
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'm not hoping for mid-rises, geez guys. Apparently I should not hope for something slightly taller unless its east of 35th st.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

An open house is going to be held tonight at the Scott Conference Center with information about the new Aksarben Development. See this OWH article for more information http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1464887
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great. If anyone goes, please fill us in.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I stopped by. Maybe its just been a hard week, but I was less than impressed with Jay's proposal. It just strikes me as really contrived. Maybe it would have been better if the whole of the Aksarben property was planned and developed, instead of the boring FDR buildings, the haphazard UNO buildings, the Shoppes at Aksarben, and now this. It doesn't seem very cohesive.

Could just be me...but I really think it could have been better
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, if Doug Bisson's original vision is realized, it will be an amazing project.

However, I am rarely impressed by the work of Jay Noddle.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

It is tough to come up with a plan that satisfies everyone. Developing Aksarben was a little tricky because it had to be for the public good (since it was governed by the Aksarben future trust). So a plan had to be developed that had something for everyone (UNO, the general public, business interests, civic spaces, etc), as well as thinking about a cool development. Noddle's plan tries to get parts that will please everyone, utilitizing different housing types and denser office spaces than is tpically available in Omaha. And the key to it all is to have a true mix of uses within the same building. Access to the Keystone Trail will be cool as well, where you can take a break out of your long bike ride to tip back a few frosty beverages. It should be an exciting project when it gets developed.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The only development proposal I remember from Noddle was his crappy Riverfront condo proposal, judging from that I'm sure we can expect something conservative.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Exactly what I was hopeing for!
http://www.aksarbenvillage.com/
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

First of all, it's Doug Bisson and HDR's plan, not Jay Noddle's (he's just the developer), and if it is truly realized it will be spectacular, exactly what UNO needs!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I wonder what the time table is for this. For some reason it seems like the only major projects that can be completed quickly are the ones way the heck out west. I can't help but anticipate beaucoup de setbacks for this project.

I hope it gets done as fast as Village Pointe.

Actually, it's already lost that battle since I know for a fact that this Aksarban project has been in the planning stages for years, and I doubt Village Pointe took that long to throw together :) .
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Actually Streets, from what I remember from the press conference, HDR was involved in the initial planning stages of the study, but Noddle is the master developer and commissioned another architecture company from out east to come up with the master plan.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That may be, but it seems pretty sketchy to me as all the renderings look exactly like what the HDR team came up with about a year and a half ago.

Either way, I hope it is constructed EXACTLY as it is or better, and QUICKLY.