Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by Coyote »

Baird Holm currently occupies floors 14 to 18 in the Woodman Tower...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ever the optimist.

I really think DT is just fine. A/V is pretty much tapped out after HDR(who was never actually DT) and the last corner next to PacLife. The prices in Aksarben are more expensive than DT as well, that is probably the premier office location in the city right now. But on the other end DT is still adding residents and is still the main job center in the city. It is certainly decentralized, but there is no evidence that if A/V never materialized that BCBS and Green Plains and DLR and Gordman's would have moved DT and not to generic office park in West O.

If DT continues to become weaker office wise I think it will offer more options for housing developers to rehab properties and to build new as land costs drop. It is a cycle and it will certainly rebound from a trough that seems to be happening in the office market now.

I personally love all the options that we have now. I can do something different every weekend in a different area of Omaha east of 72nd and have an entirely different experience each different time. Too each their own though.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

There's no way in heck all these big developments aren't impacting downtown negatively in one way or another. Absolutely they're good for the overall health of the metro I can't argue that and maybe down the road with all that health downtown gets the attention it deserves.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not suggesting everything is perfect. DTO officially added 300K SF in vacant office space last quarter. That is a big hit. There is still investment happening though, over $150 million for Capitol District. $50 million in NDT, new hotels on the west side of DT. Almost $50 million in rehab projects on the south end of DT. A quarter billion in construction during a slump for DT is pretty nice.

Yes HDR not working DT stinks and losing ConAgra jobs and Gavilon not performing well hurts no doubt, but the apartments are still being rented at a high rate and are still being built at a consistent rate. There is a silver lining around the rough year DT has had in 2016.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

On a less weighty subject, Beacon Hills restaurant in the PacLife building is opening tomorrow at 11 a.m.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trees gone. Getting ready to move the green utility box across the street.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (81.31 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
Anyone know what this was?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:
MTO wrote:Never thought I'd ever have to pray for no more large mixed use developments outside of the core.
By the way, not saying the Baird Holm building rumor is wrong, but I have heard from several sources that Pacific Life would like to use that space for future expansion. Whether that includes having the building to themselves or joining with another company, I am unsure.
What I understood my sources at PL to say is that we would be leasing "some" space in the new building and that it would break ground in April 2017. It has been several months though since I have heard anything and things can change.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

lmdramos wrote:I was on Eat-Fit-Go's website today after hearing about Freshi and saw that Eat-Fit-Go has big expansion plans listed on their website. They plan to go open franchises at 14th & Farnam, Papillion, Millard Lumberyard, CB, Kearney and Norfolk in Nebraska as well as a few other stores in Arizona and KC area.
Eat-Fit-Go is going into a bay in the Paxton... What bay is open there? ... Who left?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I thought there was an empty bay to the west of the Omaha Tap House. There used to be a hair salon there but they moved out over a year ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I thought there was an empty bay to the west of the Omaha Tap House. There used to be a hair salon there but they moved out over a year ago.
Yes, the old Ashley Lynn's bay. Been open since they switched to Palm Beach Tan and closed their hair salons +/-4 years ago
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Coyote wrote: Anyone know what this was?
Vacuum excavator
http://www.mclaughlinunderground.com/pr ... claughlin/
"With Vermeer vacuum excavation equipment by McLaughlin, contractors will have a simple and effective solution to a variety of jobs, whether it’s excavating, potholing utilities, drill mud clean up, water valve box cleanout, catch basin cleaning, sewer cleaning, industrial vacuum excavation, or simply providing a safer method of digging around a utility.

Vacuum excavation offers a safe, surgical and productive method for excavations in congested areas of underground infrastructure. The Vacuum excavator does the job of several pieces of construction equipment optimizing efficiency on a variety of different project applications. Vacuum excavators can excavate and remove both solids and fluids while digging in most conditions. Materials are simultaneously excavated using water or air, while the suction hose and vacuum stream instantaneously load materials into the Vacuum tank and safely stores them until the unit is ready for haul off."
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

And they make lovely Christmas gifts, too!
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Herbe Sainte, a New Orleans inspired cocktail bar, is having their grand opening tonight. They are located on the SE corner of the Richman Gordman bldg. Ron Samuelson formerly of Ms Pub is the owner.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

I just found out that Baird Holm has now decided NOT to go to the planned 4-to-5-story building in AkSarBen despite signing a letter of intent. Apparently, the costs were way to high. The company has now decided to stay downtown. It is undetermined whether they will remain in the Woodmen permanently or find a different downtown office. Either way, I think this is positive news for downtown. Ak Village has plenty of other prospective tenants.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadJack wrote:I just found out that Baird Holm has now decided NOT to go to the planned 4-to-5-story building in AkSarBen despite signing a letter of intent. Apparently, the costs were way to high. The company has now decided to stay downtown. It is undetermined whether they will remain in the Woodmen permanently or find a different downtown office. Either way, I think this is positive news for downtown. Ak Village has plenty of other prospective tenants.
I'd have to check again but I think A/V is the most expensive space in the city right now.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadJack wrote:I just found out that Baird Holm has now decided NOT to go to the planned 4-to-5-story building in AkSarBen despite signing a letter of intent. Apparently, the costs were way to high. The company has now decided to stay downtown. It is undetermined whether they will remain in the Woodmen permanently or find a different downtown office. Either way, I think this is positive news for downtown. Ak Village has plenty of other prospective tenants.
I'd have to check again but I think A/V is the most expensive space in the city right now.
If true, Madjack's info is good news for DT. One can hope that they were enticed to go into the Lanoha Tower at a lower price, making that project more of a possibility. Or maybe they'll go into the Tetrad/former Civic site project. There still is some prestige left if they choose to stay in the Woodman. I think they (Baird Holm McEachen) was one of the original tenants in the Woodman.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
If true, Madjack's info is good news for DT. One can hope that they were enticed to go into the Lanoha Tower at a lower price, making that project more of a possibility. Or maybe they'll go into the Tetrad/former Civic site project. There still is some prestige left if they choose to stay in the Woodman. I think they (Baird Holm McEachen) was one of the original tenants in the Woodman.
They currently have signage on the podium of the building. I don't know their history there though.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
They currently have signage on the podium of the building. I don't know their history there though.
The building opened in 1969. I know they've been in the Woodmen at least since the early 1970s..... I remember visiting one of my friend's father's office on the 16th floor. That was pretty cool, although it shows my age.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Checked this morning and the Midtown segment, which includes A/V, is over $30 a SF for Class A right now. The only submarket with higher rents is Regency.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed a liquor license is being considered for the last empty bay in the Pacific Life building for Gold Mountain Restaurant (Chinese). Looks like there is a location near 156th and Maple: http://www.newgoldmountain.com/home.html

States that the new restaurant will have appox 80-100 seats and optional patio seating. 2,656 sq ft.

Expected to be open by late January 2017.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
Checked this morning and the Midtown segment, which includes A/V, is over $30 a SF for Class A right now. The only submarket with higher rents is Regency.
Looks like space in the Woodman Tower goes for $19.50/SF/YR. Quite a difference, without considering remodel expenses.
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17724515 ... -Omaha-NE/
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

$10 more per square foot for AV than one of the city's most iconic towers? We've created a monster.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Lower prices Downtown might be what it takes for people to give it a second look. Although you can assume new buildings downtown will probably be in the $30 sf/yr range too, if not higher.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

According to my source, the higher rent at Ak Village was only part of the problem for Baird Holm. Apparently the build-out costs were looking to be much higher than anticipated. My source said nothing about going to the future Tetrad Project or proposed Lanoha Tower. The source just said they will stay in the Woodmen for the time being while still exploring "other downtown options." The source made it sound like it has been difficult getting all the partners (a bunch of lawyers) to agree on anything when it comes to office space. I suppose if they are paralyzed with indecision, they just might stay in the Woodmen as a compromise.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

skinzfan23 wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed a liquor license is being considered for the last empty bay in the Pacific Life building for Gold Mountain Restaurant (Chinese). Looks like there is a location near 156th and Maple: http://www.newgoldmountain.com/home.html

States that the new restaurant will have appox 80-100 seats and optional patio seating. 2,656 sq ft.

Gold Mountain is an awesome restaurant. Wonderful dim sum menu. This will be a fantastic addition to AV.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Utility box moved, dirt work starting for the Garden Inn.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Housing above retail now under construction.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.87 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.45 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:Housing above retail now under construction.
image.jpeg
Isn't that UNO student housing, and not a private housing project?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:
Coyote wrote:Housing above retail now under construction.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.87 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
Isn't that UNO student housing, and not a private housing project?
Yes. This project is Scott Crossing, 425 beds, in 2-4 bedroom suites, with 15,500 SF of academic and programmatic space, called Maverick Landing, and Scott Cafe, gated entry parking and secure building access, 24 hour access to fitness room, study lounges with computers and TVs, multimedia room for gaming and movies, laundry rooms, and vending areas.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I thought there was an empty bay to the west of the Omaha Tap House. There used to be a hair salon there but they moved out over a year ago.
Yes, the old Ashley Lynn's bay. Been open since they switched to Palm Beach Tan and closed their hair salons +/-4 years ago
The Eat Fit Go location in the Paxton, is expected to be open by mid-December.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

The 'temporary' parking lot across 67th St. from Aksarben Cinema and DJs is closed. It will soon be torn out as they start construction on the HDR building. This has been posted on the HDR forum but I haven't seen it on this one.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

hatwate wrote:The 'temporary' parking lot across 67th St. from Aksarben Cinema and DJs is closed. It will soon be torn out as they start construction on the HDR building. This has been posted on the HDR forum but I haven't seen it on this one.
It was open today.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

nativeomahan wrote:
hatwate wrote:The 'temporary' parking lot across 67th St. from Aksarben Cinema and DJs is closed. It will soon be torn out as they start construction on the HDR building. This has been posted on the HDR forum but I haven't seen it on this one.
It was open today.
It was closed all last week. I suspect they opened it since there was a concert at the Baxter and the Holiday Market was going on.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

hatwate wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
It was open today.
It was closed all last week. I suspect they opened it since there was a concert at the Baxter and the Holiday Market was going on.
And so it begins. All kinds of people & equipment over at the parking lot this morning.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Banner in the last Bay in Pac Life now advertising Gold Mountain Restaurant. Hopefully they will have good Dim Sum.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Banner in the last Bay in Pac Life now advertising Gold Mountain Restaurant. Hopefully they will have good Dim Sum.
Wonder if they are relocating or opening a second location?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is my post from October:
skinzfan23 wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed a liquor license is being considered for the last empty bay in the Pacific Life building for Gold Mountain Restaurant (Chinese). Looks like there is a location near 156th and Maple: http://www.newgoldmountain.com/home.html

buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Yay! Gold Mountain is my favorite Chinese food!!!
#gohawks
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Roseann Moring and Marcella Mercer World-Herald staff writers:
Jay Noddle, the developer of Aksarben Village, said he would also like to see an entertainment district around the site of the under-construction HDR tower in Aksarben.
Noddle also hopes that the idea could eventually be applied elsewhere in the area. He said he would like to see the council eventually expand the ordinance so that entertainment districts could be created in areas not near arenas, such as a mixed-use development he has planned on 500 acres of undeveloped land west of historic Boys Town.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-c ... 014d1.html