Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by daveoma »

I think those are really good observations that I hadn't noticed. Maybe they want people to enter through the back? I agree with you that although this is an awesome development for the area, there are multiple missed opportunities to make this building special.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 8835 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:Ok, I have to admit I have been out of the loop on this, but from an earlier schematic I made, it looks like this may be two complexes like the CUE, set to hide the parking garage, I only can imagine that the apartments will be going here:
Correct. Each will be 5 stories containing 54 units. Requesting a little over $1.65 million in TIF.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (135.31 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.56 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.14 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It's amazing how big that looks compared to the empty lot that it replaced.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.19 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Does anybody have a timeline when the lot directly east of the Pacific Life building is supposed to get filled? It seems to be the last major puzzle piece in the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hilton Garden Inn Photo Update:

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Hilton Garden Inn Photo Update:

Coming right along. Nice pic update Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

What happened to Phenomblue?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Does anybody have a timeline when the lot directly east of the Pacific Life building is supposed to get filled? It seems to be the last major puzzle piece in the area.
I saw surveyors there this week.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

hatwate wrote:What happened to Phenomblue?
Acquired by FourFour Media in 2016. As far as I can tell, that company closed shop.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Does anybody have a timeline when the lot directly east of the Pacific Life building is supposed to get filled? It seems to be the last major puzzle piece in the area.

http://images3.loopnet.com/d2/F_GlTSYha ... cument.pdf
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Wow! That looks solid.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Listing states leasing for 2019 occupancy. If all goes well, that would mean construction would start soon, or at least in Spring 2018.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I really like how all the buildings in Aksarben are completely different looking.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

guest2017 wrote:
Acquired by FourFour Media in 2016. As far as I can tell, that company closed shop.

FourFour closed shop or just Phenomblue after it was acquired? Their office at AV was really cool.

Greg
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I just noticed Kiewit has 42,000+ sqft in what was the Gordman bldg. what is that all about?
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

hatwate wrote:I just noticed Kiewit has 42,000+ sqft in what was the Gordman bldg. what is that all about?
A few months ago the division that was in the Blackstone was displaced due to a watermain break, caused structural damage, so they split them up to Ak Village and the rest at the business park in the old Western Electric at 120th & L. It's supposed to take quite awhile to repair & according to my sister (a decades long) Kiewit employee, they may not move back & may put the Blackstone up for sale.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

debradomayer wrote:
hatwate wrote:I just noticed Kiewit has 42,000+ sqft in what was the Gordman bldg. what is that all about?
A few months ago the division that was in the Blackstone was displaced due to a watermain break, caused structural damage, so they split them up to Ak Village and the rest at the business park in the old Western Electric at 120th & L. It's supposed to take quite awhile to repair & according to my sister (a decades long) Kiewit employee, they may not move back & may put the Blackstone up for sale.
21C Hotel. I am going to ride how perfect that is for the Blackstone forever.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

iamjacobm wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
If I was a hotel company, not sure that the Blackstone gets past the structural problems. If these are surmountable, then are we sure it gets past the location problems that killed the hotel in the early 70s? Yes, the area is busier, but Elements hotel pretty much owns the UNMC and other corporate high end business, and the low profit, outpatient care, and lower end economy business is going elsewhere. The prom and wedding business has spread out to other locations. Especially if a new firm moved in made a lot of changes to fix the structural damage, and couldn't find some niche to claim and make it its own, I don't know that we have not seen the closure of the window on the resurrection of the Blackstone Hotel (though I agree, it would be a cool thing to have in the city if it could be pulled off.)
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed1 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
If I was a hotel company, not sure that the Blackstone gets past the structural problems. If these are surmountable, then are we sure it gets past the location problems that killed the hotel in the early 70s? Yes, the area is busier, but Elements hotel pretty much owns the UNMC and other corporate high end business, and the low profit, outpatient care, and lower end economy business is going elsewhere. The prom and wedding business has spread out to other locations. Especially if a new firm moved in made a lot of changes to fix the structural damage, and couldn't find some niche to claim and make it its own, I don't know that we have not seen the closure of the window on the resurrection of the Blackstone Hotel (though I agree, it would be a cool thing to have in the city if it could be pulled off.)
I would imagine that, with Kiewit's expertise in construction, they would opt to fix the problems before selling the building, to maximize their profit at the time of sale. They might also want to make even more profit by providing construction services for the new tenant(s). Having to move their employees only once is probably more of a driver, and maybe a desire to locate people somewhere else.
It would be great to see it returned back to hotel use.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it the Roast "got in trouble" and will be closing.
I wonder if it has something to do with their liquor license...
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Greg S wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

FourFour closed shop or just Phenomblue after it was acquired? Their office at AV was really cool.

Greg
I spoke incorrectly. FourFour Media is still around (ish) - and apparently updating Phenomblue's blog (with generic content). If you Google "Fourfour media" it comes up listed as permanently closed. Information on both sites is kind of scattered - I think Phenomblue had already stopped doing client work, so Joe Olson just sold off their name, basically. From there, he took most of the company to form Rova, a performance management software for ad agencies, which recently changed names to Birdsnest. https://www.birdsnest.io/about/. They're located out of the Burlington Postal building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just walked by and noticed Dickey's BBQ closed effective yesterday 12/19/17. 2 bays to the south, Togs, closed a few months ago. However, it does look like some drywall is being installed in the bay just south of Dickeys. Hopefully they can work to fill those spaces, especially once HDR moves in. I have a feeling that there is going to be quite a bit of space available considering the HDR building is going to have retail built in.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

For some reason I think I know Togs plans to come back. Wonder if adding the HDR workforce on a daily basis might actually help.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just walked by and noticed Dickey's BBQ closed effective yesterday 12/19/17.
I was in Dickey's a couple weeks ago. It was about 6-ish on a week night and there was 1 table in there. I was happy at that time they had scrapped the all "a la carte menu" and went back to something that had a lot better value to it. Apparently it was too late?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have eaten at Dickey's a few times in the past 2 years for lunch and have also walked by numerous other times. Other than their opening day, I don't think I have ever seen more than 3-5 tables with people at them. I am sure that their rent is pretty high given the location. With that in mind, I am sure they have been struggling for quite some time. I think I even remember seeing that they temporarily closed for a day or two earlier this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This Dickey's does a lot of deliveries.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:This Dickey's does a lot of deliveries.

Nope...... Just going to leave that alone.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:

http://images3.loopnet.com/d2/F_GlTSYha ... cument.pdf
Was told Right at Home will be moving from the building on Center Street into two floor so this building. I was also told Pacific Life would take the rest. Construction to start in the Spring.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is basically what I have heard.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:That is basically what I have heard.

This could possibly be the other location that Swartz deli might end up I was told.. either HDR or here (at this time)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Maybe its just me, but it seems like the Hilton Garden Inn is taking forever. They started construction in Oct 2016, so they are nearing 18 months and it still appears that the hotel is at least a few months away from opening. I believe they are still working on framing on the inside. A few pieces of siding have gone up on the exterior, but overall, it doesn't look much different than the last picture from early November.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have heard a lot of people think the same. I believe framing is done and drywall is going in, but this construction by New Generation has been slow.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

they must be focusing on quality. ha. And the Empire State Building was built in a year.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just heard this morning from Magnum Development that this spring a fence should be going up and they will start working. Only problem will be storage, which may use the Pac Life parking garage for staging...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Maybe they will stage some of it in the "street" area between the new building and the current Pac Life building. There has to be a way to do this. Sometimes it seems like construction crews in Omaha don't know how to construct in a dense area. Many other larger cities have construction ongoing all the time and they find a way to make it work.

The only other option I can think of would be to close off some of the parking on the street.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:I have heard a lot of people think the same. I believe framing is done and drywall is going in, but this construction by New Generation has been slow.
I just heard that they plan on being open in May. They have been shooting for the Berkshire Hathaway Convention.