Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: Official: Aksarben Village

Post by guy4omaha »

It seems they have a long way to go yet. Each morning this week there has been a lot of drywall staged outside apparently still waiting for install. So they're not even finished mudding yet. Maybe they can make it but man this has been a slow project.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Robert Hancock & Co. plans on starting construction of the apartments north of HDRs garage sometime next fall and hope it will be open before HDR moves into their offices. Also, apparently they sold their plot just south of the Cue.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A Rexius Nutrition is going into the bay that formerly housed Hello Ruby. Another establishment here i may never check out.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Construction fencing was finally removed from the Hilton Garden Inn yesterday and today. They are finally hauling on this project, as mentioned before, they would like to have it open for the Berkshire.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

skinzfan23 wrote:Construction fencing was finally removed from the Hilton Garden Inn yesterday and today. They are finally hauling on this project, as mentioned before, they would like to have it open for the Berkshire.
So they have a little over a month as the Berkshire meeting is 5/5. I can't imagine how they are going to make it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BTW on eOmahaForum's Facebook page there is a picture of the second wifi tower going up. I hear there may be two more going up near Stinson Park, three near the HDR plaza and two more to the north. The first one is on the NE corner of Aksarben Dr and Frances, just south of the BCBS art work The Vessel. Also... I hear that Jay Noddle recently had a heart attack.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Quick update:
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Good Lord, they can't even finish putting up the sign of the "Hilton Gar". It's destined to be forever not quite finished.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

It's slowly but surely getting there lol
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

According to the Hilton Garden Inn reservation site, this hotel is scheduled to open in July although it is not accepting reservations for it yet.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I've been perusing Google Streeview in Aksarben Village and as pleasant as this development has been turning out for the most part. It really defeats the purpose for the residential units to not have access from the street. The apartments on the east side and the UNO dorms are both guilty of this. Part of what makes this level of density attractive is walkability, but walkability is hindered when building access is entirely focused to the rear parking lots.

Also, the Broadmoor (I think) townhome development has that nice grassy quad in the middle of the units with sidewalks and landscaping, but not even one damn bench. It seems like an awfully expensive green space for simply looking at.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before somewhere, but damn, this is urban design 101 type stuff that is so easy to address.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 pm I've been perusing Google Streeview in Aksarben Village and as pleasant as this development has been turning out for the most part. It really defeats the purpose for the residential units to not have access from the street. The apartments on the east side and the UNO dorms are both guilty of this. Part of what makes this level of density attractive is walkability, but walkability is hindered when building access is entirely focused to the rear parking lots.

Also, the Broadmoor (I think) townhome development has that nice grassy quad in the middle of the units with sidewalks and landscaping, but not even one darn bench. It seems like an awfully expensive green space for simply looking at.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before somewhere, but darn, this is urban design 101 type stuff that is so easy to address.
Broadmoor apartments do have access to the street. There are 2-3 exits on the west side onto 64th Ave. Each of the Broadmoor Villas (your townhomes) on the quad have our own patios so not sure what/who the bench would serve. It is used sometimes for folks to play frisbee, kids practicing baseball & soccer.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I forgot to mention the Broadmoor green space also serves as a type of retention area for heavy rains. I assume it also meets some standard now required for complexes like Broadmoor which are adding lots of paved areas & buildings to provide a certain amount of unpaved space to absorb precipitation rather than increasing the flow into the sewer system.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

hatwate wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 pm
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 pm I've been perusing Google Streeview in Aksarben Village and as pleasant as this development has been turning out for the most part. It really defeats the purpose for the residential units to not have access from the street. The apartments on the east side and the UNO dorms are both guilty of this. Part of what makes this level of density attractive is walkability, but walkability is hindered when building access is entirely focused to the rear parking lots.

Also, the Broadmoor (I think) townhome development has that nice grassy quad in the middle of the units with sidewalks and landscaping, but not even one darn bench. It seems like an awfully expensive green space for simply looking at.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before somewhere, but darn, this is urban design 101 type stuff that is so easy to address.
Broadmoor apartments do have access to the street. There are 2-3 exits on the west side onto 64th Ave. Each of the Broadmoor Villas (your townhomes) on the quad have our own patios so not sure what/who the bench would serve. It is used sometimes for folks to play frisbee, kids practicing baseball & soccer.
They're just exits though. And Broadmoor didn't put nearly the effort into their design as they did the access points from the parking lot. So the orientation is focused more on the cars in the parking lot than the great walking opportunities that are right outside . Which is fine..but why bother in Aksarben Village when the plan was to cater to other modes of transportation more than your standard suburban apartments?

Pinhook and Scott Court don't have any access I can see. Just some sidewalks that lead you all the way around the perimeter of the building to the parking lot where the access points are.

A bench would be a minimum and great for watching your kids/friends play frisbee, baseball, soccer, whatever when you're taking a break or just along to watch. Something, anything interactive - a flower garden, a hammock, one singular set of swings. It just seems like wasted potential otherwise.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 pm They're just exits though. And Broadmoor didn't put nearly the effort into their design as they did the access points from the parking lot. So the orientation is focused more on the cars in the parking lot than the great walking opportunities that are right outside . Which is fine..but why bother in Aksarben Village when the plan was to cater to other modes of transportation more than your standard suburban apartments?
Unless things have changed at Broadmoor since I moved out a couple years ago, all the exterior doors (including the ones along 64th Ave) have keycard access so residents can enter from any exterior door. One downside, though, the keycard only worked on your own building, so I couldn't cut through the southwest building to get to my apartment in the southeast building. :?

Yes, the visitor lobbies are on the "inside" by the parking lots, but the interior layout of the building doesn't really lend itself to having a visitor lobby on the opposite side. Each building has three lobbies, and each lobby has the mailboxes for the units closest to it, so it needs to be accessible to the mail carrier. The best case scenario would be to have the lobby span the interior and exterior side, but since the ground level of the building is the parking garage, that would cut off the traffic flow inside the garage.

Ultimately, the apartments need to be accessible to the tenants, and they are from all sides. Visitor access is secondary, and IMO it makes sense for the visitor entrances to be near the parking, since -- like it or not -- in Omaha, a visitor is probably going to be driving.
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 pm A bench would be a minimum and great for watching your kids/friends play frisbee, baseball, soccer, whatever when you're taking a break or just along to watch. Something, anything interactive - a flower garden, a hammock, one singular set of swings. It just seems like wasted potential otherwise.
I agree, it always seemed strange they didn't try to make that area more park-like with benches. Yes, it was nice for the villas with porches or decks that surround it, but otherwise kind of a missed opportunity. It probably just comes down to cost/time for upkeep. Broadmoor did a great job maintaining the complex as is; this would have added more to their responsibilities.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

In the former Togs bay in the former Gordmans building will be another health food store. Vitality Bowls which boasts:
image.png
image.png (375.95 KiB) Viewed 6918 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was wondering what was going into that bay. I noticed the for lease signs were taken down about a month ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Grand Opening Sept. 6th.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2018 Christmas coming to the Village
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.24 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This was pretty much a City Council slam dunk. Whatever Jay Noddle proposes, seemingly, Jay Noddle gets (which is not a bad thing).. From the W-H-

“Supporters behind the entertainment district planned for Aksarben Village say the area will cater to a “grown-up” crowd.

The Omaha City Council on Tuesday voted 6-0 to sign off on a request by Noddle Companies for a permit for the district, which will allow people to walk around a designated common area with alcoholic drinks.

City Councilwoman Aimee Melton abstained, citing a potential conflict.

The area will be between engineering and architecture firm HDR’s new headquarters on the corner of 67th and Frances Streets and a parking garage directly east.”..

The complete W-H story link:

https://www.omaha.com/money/development ... dbf0f.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

And just who will the public be purchasing these alcoholic drinks from?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:33 pm And just who will the public be purchasing these alcoholic drinks from?
No tenants have been announced yet. Noddle said soon.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Coyote wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 am
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:33 pm And just who will the public be purchasing these alcoholic drinks from?
No tenants have been announced yet. Noddle said soon.
In the WH article "expected to be announced in a couple of weeks, Noddle said."
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Were the existing bars cut off from this? Not sure if any have access to this area?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lots of great information on Grow Omaha this morning. I have to post of the podcast on Tuesday when it’s available.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I noticed yesterday two guys working on the lot south of The Cue.
Now I know it is going to be 7 Townhomes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A&M Hospitality will be in charge of the Inner Rail Food Court and a sit down restaurant in the HDR building. Sounds like it will also have 4 other restaurants in the building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jay Noddle also said the two Handcock lots will be developed this Spring.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 am Lots of great information on Grow Omaha this morning. I have to post of the podcast on Tuesday when it’s available.
This will be a must hear if you missed it. Jay Noddle dropped a lot of info.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 am
Brad wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 am Lots of great information on Grow Omaha this morning. I have to post of the podcast on Tuesday when it’s available.
This will be a must hear if you missed it. Jay Noddle dropped a lot of info.
I missed the show this morning. I’m going to be all over that podcast come Christmas Day :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He also mentioned the office building south of the garage with retail bays on the ground floor, but don't remember his timeline. I have seen a drawing of it in Noddle's office but can't find one online.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:36 am A&M Hospitality will be in charge of the Inner Rail Food Court and a sit down restaurant in the HDR building. Sounds like it will also have 4 other restaurants in the building.
The Inner Rail sounds like there is more to it than I had originally thought.
No posts exist for this topic
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

MadMartin8 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 am
Coyote wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:36 am A&M Hospitality will be in charge of the Inner Rail Food Court and a sit down restaurant in the HDR building. Sounds like it will also have 4 other restaurants in the building.
As I recall early on there was going to be a Pinstripes (or something like it) in that garage development. Has it been replaced by the Inner Rail?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:28 pm
MadMartin8 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 am
As I recall early on there was going to be a Pinstripes (or something like it) in that garage development. Has it been replaced by the Inner Rail?
It may be in place for the HDR Building, but the garage will house the food court.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photos from my trip this fall:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Those are some amazing shots of the AV area.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Love those, Brad! Neat to see HDR's building in the mix. What would we do without our local "Brad Cameron!" It would be cool if you could put together an "Above Omaha" book!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Great pics! AK village has exceeded my expectations. It’s almost like another downtown. It’s our mini Century city!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Cermak wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:06 pm Great pics! AK village has exceeded my expectations. It’s almost like another downtown. It’s our mini Century city!
I’m glad that this sort of secondary downtown area is still on the east half of town, too.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Wow, they might need to build a garage for Baxter to make way for future development.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024