Aksarben Village

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does eomaha.com have a project investigation team?
His name is Mr. Huston… :wink:
Last edited by MTO on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm just the facilitator.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

yeah J you are like the parents on that 70's show. You just supply the basement. :lol:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

midtown charlie wrote:yeah J you are like the parents on that 70's show. You just supply the basement. :lol:
He’s mean like that dad to.
He chastises me and deletes my posts and and…. :cry:
Last edited by MTO on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

:lol:
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

The discussion the last two weeks has focused on the new Retail Development on the southside of Center, not on Aksarben Village, where the pile of dirt is located.
its about the retail in the area, not specifically on the north side or south side of center...its all the same redevelopment
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

but have we yet seen any kind of development in Omaha that even closely resembles what was agreed upon by Omaha by design
Thats partially because Omaha by Design has no binding effect on anybody until the city council takes action to make those design standards city ordinances.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nothing Happening Yet, However I didn't get a picture, but there is some action by the trailer park and the old McDonalds is gone.

SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Last Friday, February 3rd, The Omaha World-Harold article – “NU Foundation Gobbling Up Land” is about progress on buying the land for the future University of Nebraska at Omaha expansion.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2110312

This map shows UNO expansion south of Center Street & Aksarben Village but west of 64th and the new retail development by Columbo Incorporated. The other mobile home court, the one next the creek, has been sold to UN foundation, but the residents and renters has several years to move. It will be that long before UNO will use the land.
the1wags
County Board

Aksarben Village gets city approval

Post by the1wags »

A major central Omaha development where people will be able to shop, work and live has received initial city approval.

Construction would begin within a year, said Jay Noddle, president of Noddle Cos. The site could take 10 to 12 years to develop and cost up to $200 million, he said.

Link to the full WH article.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=5236801
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

So is the residential component going to be seperate from the commercial side? Please tell me they are still putting housing units above the shops. In the article, it sounded like it wasn't.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On the radio today they said it could be more than a dozen years before this is all done.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^ Why does it take so long for these things to happen here? I don't get it, they already have the plans. Now they just need to get it approved, find tenenants, residences, financing, and a construction company. These kind of projects seem to pop up out of nowhere in other cities, but here it takes more than DECADE? :roll: That seems a little ridiculous to me. Does anybody else feel the same way?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I definitely agree, Adam. Plus, this project has already been 'in the works' for at least 2 years. 15 years to see completion? Give me a break.

The good news is, though, that it's moving forward and that construction will start 'within a year.'

And ingersoll, the development will be purely residential on the east side, with townhouses/urban apartments, etc. since that's the side that blends right into an existing neighborhood. Then, as you move west from there, the uses diversify. It will TRULY be mixed use, with apartments and offices above retail and entertainment venues, restaurants, cafe's, etc.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And I didn't like that rendering in the OWH. What is that, two stories? Not dense enough. It just looks like a strip mall.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
midtown charlie
Human Relations

This would be a good place for a movie theatre.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I totally agree streets, I hope this is not an indicator of the average development in there. I want to see 4-6 stories on average. heck one level of retail with some SOMA like rowhouses would be awesome and would be 4. WE WANT DENSITY!!! :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly, guys.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'd suggest you go to Noddle's comments page and tell them what you'd like to see.

http://www.noddlecompanies.com/_contact/
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It wouldn't affect the affair, but it's a charming thought.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

A response from planning director Steve Jensen on Aksarben Village...
Thank you for your e-mail and your enthusiasm. The Aksarben Village proposal has all of the components you are hoping for.

As you mentioned there are residential opportunities on the upper floors of some of the office and retail structures. In addition there is also a residential area that will have a combination of 3 & 4 story apartments and 1 & 2 story townhomes.

The entire project, when completed, will have office, retail, residential open space and educational components. There will be some surface parking in the short run as the project gets underway. However, as later phases are constructed the surface lots will be converted to parking structures on the interior of the blocks surrounded by buildings.

We are very excited about the project. It will serve as a great anchor to the southern end of the UNO campus. It will become a place where faculty, researchers, students, entrepreneurs, small start-up companies and nearby residents can live, work, learn, interact and have fun. At the same time, it is an opportunity for Omaha residents to see what a true "urban village" can be and serve as a catalyst for other similar projects throughout the city.

Thank you for the invitation to visit your forum. I will try to drop in from time to time if I can find some time in my hectic schedule.

Steve
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Nice!
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Very nice! :) I was going to be upset if Omaha jumped the boat on mixed use buildings for this project. RED Development needs to figure out this piece of the pie.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

1 story townhomes? Doesn't sound very urban.

Other than that, the words Steve wrote were already things we know, which are all good things.

I was just a little worried by that rendering I saw in the paper, which as I said, pretty much looked like a strip mall.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

FINALLY! There are signs up on the lot south of center with the renderings of the buildings that will be built there. I didnt have my camera with me but they look gorgeous! It was a large 3 story brick building, looks very urban. I hope the rest of the development will look like this. If anyone has a camera, please take pics, or else I will take some later tonight and post them.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i snapped a picture today, and when i got up close it wasnt as big as i thought it was, but nonetheless, i still think it looks great! This will be one of the MANY buildings to come on this property. It looks to be only 2 stories, but at least its right up against the street i believe

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

it's a start.
i wasn't aware that it would be checkerboard development but hey like i said it is a start, just hope it all looks nice together when done.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omahastylee459 wrote:i snapped a picture today, and when i got up close it wasnt as big as i thought it was, but nonetheless, i still think it looks great! This will be one of the MANY buildings to come on this property. It looks to be only 2 stories, but at least its right up against the street i believe
Thats funny... I was there today also.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

i hope this does not detract from any DT possibilities
15-17, 26, 32
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

MTO wrote:i hope this does not detract from any DT possibilities
screw that! UNO needs a place like this, its too far away from downtown anyway. I cant wait until this project is complete. If its all its been made up to be, this will truly be a destination place.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

you know i do have a feeling it has been over hyped but i guess that is good, then the better stuff can go to DTO!
15-17, 26, 32
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

no, i dont think this is an over-hyped project, this is something that will represent my neighborhood and be a place that people will want to come to and UNO students will come to, DTO is completely unrelated to this project. Just because downtown isnt getting this kind of retail development doesnt mean you all have to get defensive about it. DTO will have its time, but not yet. It needs the demographics first, then businesses will move in.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Are they putting in a Zappos a la http://www.zappos.com? If so, then that is a huge get!
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

No but I hear we're getting a Zoot's Tack Shoppe.

Rumor is they're going to have triple crown winner 'Omaha' stuffed on display in the front window.

:P
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

the lot is all cleared now, all those trashed trailer homes are out of there. I am hoping that construction will start very soon. After this project starts, I am thinking we will start to see more and more projects pop up.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does any know why they always had a patrol car sitting in that lot all night?
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^Wasn't there a lot of thieves stealing stuff from there? Maybe there is/was some evidence or they're waiting for more theives that don't know it's cleared out. Who knows.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

adam186 wrote:^Wasn't there a lot of thieves stealing stuff from there? Maybe there is/was some evidence or they're waiting for more theives that don't know it's cleared out. Who knows.
you are correct adam, the reason why the trailers were all torn apart is because thieves were stealing tin and copper. Both of those materials have seen rises in prices, which is the reason why people are taking them. The patrol car was there to give a police presence. I have seen several helicopters fly by in the past couple weeks with their spotlights on the trailer park. Needless to say, I am glad its all history.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Council OKs plans for Aksarben Village
Preliminary plans for a central Omaha development received unanimous approval Tuesday from the Omaha City Council.

The 70-acre Aksarben Village will include restaurants, shops, offices, apartments, town houses, a hotel and a park.