Barker Building (15th and Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The guy doing this owns the Holiday Inn Downtown, in the fabulous Nortn Downtown neighborhood, and with the recession, abandoned his plans for the project, and has been focused on a project in Lincoln.  So, it continues to rot away.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Thanks for the update.  At least the street level is boarded up, but they could do a better job of keeping it buttoned up elsewhere.  I can understand mothballing a project like this when conditions aren't right, but at least protect what is there!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Just a FWIW, there was a group of people touring the building and taking pictures on Monday. I tried to pry one of the guys for information but he didn't really offer anything.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

The plywood was removed from the street level windows today.

Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Oh, and in a somewhat related story, there's been some people removing items from the Lerner building over the course of the past week or so. Not sure what that may/may not mean. There's also a possibility of some other changes on this block, but I won't elaborate at the moment because it's nothing major and so far it's only talk.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the Update Photo!  Always appreciated!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Today there were a couple guys from McGill Restoration working on the building. They had a set of windows removed from the second story and were sandblasting the frame. They only did the one, and if they're planning on doing that to all of them it's going to take them forever. It was noisy as all heck too.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Workers said today that they were taking some samples and that real restoration should begin this spring!!!  What another huge pick-me-up for downtown!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Heh...I like the "should" part...sounds like some of the older posts in this thread. What puzzles me is them pulling the plywood from the street level if they're not planning on starting with any real work until spring.

At any rate, I have to think this building is the key for at least one the other things I alluded to earlier to happen.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I agree.  The McGill work on the King Fong building was VERY noisy.

Not nearly as noisy, though, as the guys removing salvage metal from the Lerner building, which is now in it's third week.  I especially like it when they start at 7:00 a.m., on Sunday morning, or are still at it at 9:00 p.m., when I have my windows open and am trying to watch TV.  I am amazed at how much stuff there must be inside that building.  One morning, I saw them wheeling out an upright piano!

I was surprised to see the wood removed from the windows of the Barker Building as well.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Well here's the deal, the architects are still drawing up plans for this building, so a spring construction timetable is probably what we're looking at. I'm guessing the plywood was removed so they could see what they had to work with, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go back up for the winter at some point.

One of the other things that was talked about was the adjacent commercial bays at 1507 and 1509 Farnam being razed and the land put up for sale, but apparently some of the mechanical systems for Central Park Tower are located under those bays and relocating them would be cost prohibitive, so it's not going to happen.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Which bays are we talking about? The one where Cosmos Wigs is/was? As in the adjacent building to the West (not just the "bays")?

If this is the case, I believe that the actual building structure is what used to be the Henshaw Hotel (or something to that effect)--a pretty great building from what I've seen in photos, and I've always wondered if the original facade is hiding under that hideous cladding.

*edit: Now I see from Google streetview what you're talking about. There's the two bays with nothing above them that are "visually" tied to the building I'm talking about above.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Yep, those two east bays, Central Park Tower and the two west bays are all part of the same property. And yes, that cladding is definitely dated.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

This might have been said previously, but I noticed just today that the Barker Building Project is listed on Alley-Poyner's website. Maybe that means that this project has some serious validity to it!
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

OmahaJosh618 wrote:This might have been said previously, but I noticed just today that the Barker Building Project is listed on Alley-Poyner's website. Maybe that means that this project has some serious validity to it!
Not to pee in your cornflakes, but that site also lists Burlington Station. Take it with a grain of salt, I guess. http://www.alleypoyner.com/industry/housing/
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Yes, the architects I spoke with last fall were from Alley-Poyner, they're planning a complete gut/remodel.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

In a somewhat related story that's not worth it's own thread, the commercial bay adjacent to the Barker Building at 1507 Farnam has been rented. Apparently it used to be a bar, and it is being reopened as one.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

This is such a beautiful old building.  I really hope this long awaited and well deserved remodel is seen to fruition soon.
where the corn meets the concrete
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Saw a couple hard hats on site yesterday, and I noticed the commercial bays now have "For Lease" signs in the windows.

And FWIW the Oasis hookah bar is relocating into the 1507 bay next door.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is some information on the Barker Building:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... sc/299.pdf
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thanks again Brad.  Shamrock says they will be substantially completed by spring of 2013 in that document.  They stated it will have 48 living units along with retail on 15th and Farnam.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Thanks again Brad.  Shamrock says they will be substantially completed by spring of 2013 in that document.  They stated it will have 48 living units along with retail on 15th and Farnam.
Just so many apartments being added right now, really exciting for the future of downtown.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Thanks again Brad.  Shamrock says they will be substantially completed by spring of 2013 in that document.  They stated it will have 48 living units along with retail on 15th and Farnam.
Just so many apartments being added right now, really exciting for the future of downtown.
You have to wonder when more grocery stores are going to start popping up.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I'll take some flack from certain members for this one, but I also wonder when we will start seeing the chains move in.

Chipotle, 5 Guys, Panera ect.  All would be welcome additions IMO.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I'll take some flack from certain members for this one, but I also wonder when we will start seeing the chains move in.

Chipotle, 5 Guys, Panera ect.  All would be welcome additions IMO.
No flack from me, they are all in downtown Lincoln and are a nice convenience.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, I think you want some of these for a nice balance in downtown.  There is currently Subway, Jimmy Johns,  Pepperjax (and soon to be Little King again), which are all nice alternatives to a sit down meal, especially for those working downtown for lunch.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

It's incredible how much this entire block may change in the next couple years. Along with the Barker remodel and the Lerner renovation, there's also talk of a parking structure of some type being built on the existing parking lot between Lerner and Hotel Deco, plus Central Park Tower's 15 yr tax credit is up this year, so they will be set to reapply and be allocated some funds for renovation as well. And guess what Streets, there's discussion of that cladding you alluded to earlier coming down.

Now if they could just do something with that seedy Securities Building....
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

The last bit of the street level plywood along Farnam St came down today. I'll try to get some pics up later.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I toured the building today.  Its Trashed!  Mother nature did most of the damage with vandals adding a bit more.

However, there is a TON of potential in this building and its going to be great when its all fixed up!

Look for cleanup work to start very soon!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I toured the building today.  Its Trashed!  Mother nature did most of the damage with vandals adding a bit more.

However, there is a TON of potential in this building and its going to be great when its all fixed up!

Look for cleanup work to start very soon!
:clap:

I sucks that they let it get this bad, but this is ideal for apartments.  Wont be long before 15th is really hopping.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I shot this back on 3/31/2012.  The outside looks much better than the inside.

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I think the outside is going to look stunning once it is "power washed" plus new windows
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:I think the outside is going to look stunning once it is "power washed" plus new windows
I definitely agree.  I love the art deco buildings downtown; they look fabulous and have aged really well.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Howd you score that tour Brad?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Howd you score that tour Brad?
I took their "before" photos yesterday.
mj3141
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mj3141 »

It looks like they've started cleaning out the inside. There's a dumpster in front of it on 15th St now.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Howd you score that tour Brad?
I took their "before" photos yesterday.
No sharing?????  :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:No sharing?????  :D
Honestly, I haven't even processed them yet.  I will ask the client if they care if I share them.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Yeahhh...please share...I remember the upper floors were mostly/all offices, but at least one 15th Street bay was a [cool] men's clothing store with lots of wood paneling and casework.  Also, the Lobby(s...at least on the 15th Street side) were fairly impressive, with lots of brass and marble? terrazzo?? features.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Yeahhh...please share...I remember the upper floors were mostly/all offices, but at least one 15th Street bay was a [cool] men's clothing store with lots of wood paneling and casework.  Also, the Lobby(s...at least on the 15th Street side) were fairly impressive, with lots of brass and marble? terrazzo?? features.