Barker Building (15th and Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

l-dude wrote:Yeahhh...please share...I remember the upper floors were mostly/all offices, but at least one 15th Street bay was a [cool] men's clothing store with lots of wood paneling and casework.  Also, the Lobby(s...at least on the 15th Street side) were fairly impressive, with lots of brass and marble? terrazzo?? features.
I would love it if there were a good men's store downtown, and this would be a great location.  Right now the best place to get good clothes is probably Rossi, but it's out in Rock Brook.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

mj3141 wrote:It looks like they've started cleaning out the inside. There's a dumpster in front of it on 15th St now.
Now the sidewalk and part of 15th street is fenced off. There were some workers on site this morning as well.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

From the City of Omaha document, the property is currently only valued at approximately $690k. They're going to pour in $8.1m, raising the valuation to a projected $7.3m. Not a terrible rate of return, especially since their first year of rental income should get them pretty close to breaking even.

When you see numbers like that, it's no wonder that there are so many apartment projects ongoing right now.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

riceweb wrote:especially since their first year of rental income should get them pretty close to breaking even.
I would love to hear the numbers you're using there.
Stable genius.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Check the Pro Forma page of the document they prepared for the City of Omaha. They're asking about $1,100/month average for the apartments x 48 units + one retail/office bay. I know there are expenses associated with running an apartment complex, but they'll still take in probably at least $500k of rent their first year.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

riceweb wrote:Check the Pro Forma page of the document they prepared for the City of Omaha. They're asking about $1,100/month average for the apartments x 48 units + one retail/office bay. I know there are expenses associated with running an apartment complex, but they'll still take in probably at least $500k of rent their first year.
No.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Linkin5 wrote:
riceweb wrote:Check the Pro Forma page of the document they prepared for the City of Omaha. They're asking about $1,100/month average for the apartments x 48 units + one retail/office bay. I know there are expenses associated with running an apartment complex, but they'll still take in probably at least $500k of rent their first year.
No.
No what?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
No.
No what?
Well first I was saying no to the thought that this will be completely rented out in the first year of opening, we'll see how the market responds.  Secondly, I was responding to the notion that the developer will break even the first year after taxes, utilities, and upkeep of a building this size.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They MIGHT be able to have operating expenses in the black in year one, if that's what is meant by breaking even.  This, as is any project like this, is a multi-year (if not decade) payoff project for the developer, unless they have some seriously deep pockets and just like paying cash for everything.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wonder if Shamrock dealing with this and hopefully 10th and Capitol this summer if the 5 floor building on 15th and Jackson gets put on the back burner?  Those would be 3 awesome projects to be going on at the same time, but seems like a lot on the plate for a relatively small development company.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Kelly: A new life for old Barker Building
Omaha World Herald wrote:For years the building has sat empty and forlorn, a once-handsome structure tied to downtown's long-past heyday.

But now downtown is making hay in a different way. And the longtime eyesore is on its way to becoming an eye-pleasing home to 48 apartments and, it is hoped, street-level stores.

The 1929 Barker Building, a seven-story office building on the southwest corner of 15th and Farnam Streets, has been boarded up for years. But financing is mostly in place for an $8.8 million redevelopment.
Omaha World Herald wrote:Moylan and Maynard, both Omaha natives, said they are confident the much smaller Barker redevelopment will go forward. Interior demolition is under way, and they say construction could start by late summer, with occupancy next year.
Omaha World Herald wrote:Moylan said the 72,000-square-foot Barker Building has access to nearby surface parking. Rents probably would range from $900 to $1,200 per month.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

Word is that the contractors doing the demo in the building have found copious heaps of guano that rival those of Howland Island. Take a deep breath while walking the block!

Also found, homeless campsites complete with pigeon rotisserie barbecues. Heebeegeebees!

Anyways. Should be a good project to spruce up and add to Hotel Deco/Zin on run down corner overrun by vagrants and PCP'd-out somalis.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Feel free to put the zima down and stop posting.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Linkin5 wrote:Feel free to put the zima down and stop posting.
But I love reading his exaggerated rants of urban paranoia.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:Word is that the contractors doing the demo in the building have found copious heaps of guano that rival those of Howland Island. Take a deep breath while walking the block!

Also found, homeless campsites complete with pigeon rotisserie barbecues. Heebeegeebees!

Anyways. Should be a good project to spruce up and add to Hotel Deco/Zin on run down corner overrun by vagrants and PCP'd-out somalis.
It has been a while since we had a full time troll around here...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

byrdrules wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:Word is that the contractors doing the demo in the building have found copious heaps of guano that rival those of Howland Island. Take a deep breath while walking the block!

It has been a while since we had a full time troll around here...
The worst part about his posts are they don't even make me laugh.  I can stand a troll if they are at least comical.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From Dicon's facebook, they went to the bare bones!

I wonder if they are planning a roof top deck like The Paxton, wouldn't have the worst view in the world.

Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

I feel sorry for the guys working in that building, it has had to have been freaking miserable in there the last couple weeks.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Exterior restoration has begun.  Power washed section down the front of building sure shows the amount of grime that has accumulated through the decades.
Should be wonderful when done.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Exterior restoration has begun.  Power washed section down the front of building sure shows the amount of grime that has accumulated through the decades.
Should be wonderful when done.
Shot from Dicon's facebook that really shows just how much grime had built up.

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

This reminds me of when they started cleaning the Paxton a few years ago, amazing how great it looked once it was done.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool!  Looks like they already have a commercial tenant lined up too.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Interesting, that must have been why they pulled down the plywood from the windows for a few days last winter, to take that picture. And it has obviously been heavily photoshopped. Looks like Seldin is going to manage that one too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Restaurant

http://www.picklemans.com/ Pickelman's Gourmet Cafe
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate at Jazz, directly across the street, on the 15th.  The exterior of the building is at least 4 shades whiter than before.  Some of the brick exterior is missing, probably it was damaged and needed to be replaced.  I hope this place gets ready for occupancy by early next year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:We ate at Jazz, directly across the street, on the 15th.  The exterior of the building is at least 4 shades whiter than before.  Some of the brick exterior is missing, probably it was damaged and needed to be replaced.  I hope this place gets ready for occupancy by early next year.
I was inside the barker building again today.  If you think the transformation of the outside is amazing, you wouldn't even believe the inside!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:We ate at Jazz, directly across the street, on the 15th.  The exterior of the building is at least 4 shades whiter than before.  Some of the brick exterior is missing, probably it was damaged and needed to be replaced.  I hope this place gets ready for occupancy by early next year.
I was inside the barker building again today.  If you think the transformation of the outside is amazing, you wouldn't even believe the inside!
4/23/2012  Demo Day One.  This is not the top floor, I couldn't even get in the top floor on my first visit because it was so bad.  All damage/demo was done by mother nature.

5/15/2012 Visit #2, Finally made it to the top floor.

9/18/2012, Visit #3, Top Floor.  Windows have been removed for restoration.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That's nuts.  We walked through the Paxton a year prior to its rehab and I think Barker might actually be in better shape.

It's amazing how fast these buildings turn to |expletive| when they aren't maintained, particularly considering how relatively easy it is to keep them maintained.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Damn!!!  You just can't create spaces like that in new construction, these are going to be incredible apartments!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:That's nuts.  We walked through the Paxton a year prior to its rehab and I think Barker might actually be in better shape.

It's amazing how fast these buildings turn to |expletive| when they aren't maintained, particularly considering how relatively easy it is to keep them maintained.
No kidding...  Most of the Damage on the upper floors was done from a plugged roof drain.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

By the Way, here is your view...

l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Brad...since you're now posting pictures from earlier, pre-rehab visits, can you also now show us any from the first floor lobbies and bay(s)?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dicon wrote:This week Shamrock Development and Dicon Construction, along with Mayor Jim Suttle will break ground once again on the historic Barker building on 320 South 15th Street at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, October 25.

The ceremony marks the end of interior demolition and the beginning of extensive remodeling which will create space for three to four retailers on the ground and garden levels and 48 upscale, market-rate apartments, according to Michael T. Moylan, CCIM, and President of Shamrock.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From Grow Omaha an Alegent Clinic will also be on the street level.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha wrote:Good news for the historic Barker Building at 15th and Farnam Street. Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe, a deli-style restaurant will open when the building's massive renovation project is complete. Based in Columbia, Mo., Pickleman's has 15 locations in four states primarily in college towns.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Restaurant

http://www.picklemans.com/ Pickelman's Gourmet Cafe
We beat Grow Omaha by 6 weeks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Barker Building's comeback and clinic to make healthy addition downtown

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121025/M ... n-downtown
Cindy Gonzalez WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Apartment dwellers who move into the renovated downtown Omaha Barker Building next year will be just an elevator ride away from not only a toasted sandwich, but also a medical checkup and a pharmaceutical refill.

Two main commercial tenants — Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe and Alegent Creighton Clinic and pharmacy — are to be announced today at an open house launching the remodeling phase of the 48-apartment Barker Building at the southwest corner of 15th and Farnam Streets.