Barker Building (15th and Farnam)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

DTO Luv-

I have been thinking about making another attempt at contacting one of the owners of the building/project for a few days now...but keep getting "sidetracked" with other work.  Then I saw your post this afternoon. and made the call.

I wouldn't say the project is dead yet - but part of the ownership is in flux.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Glad I could help. :)

A few weeks ago it seemed like there was work being done, now nothing.

Would you happen to know if the building is going to be a rental as opposed to condos for certain tax breaks? I was wondering why they decided to go condo first then change it. I thought maybe it would help funding wise to go rentals.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

In order for a project to take advantage of the federal tax incentives for historic rehabilitation it would need to be income-producing (either commercial or residential).  Condos are not income producing.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Historic Omaha wrote:In order for a project to take advantage of the federal tax incentives for historic rehabilitation it would need to be income-producing (either commercial or residential).  Condos are not income producing.
Would mixed use - condos AND commercial - be eligible?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

E-

A mix of income producing and non-income producing within a project could work.  However, a majority of the project must be income-producing and the tax credit would only apply to that portion (that is income producing).

If you wanted a mix of commercial and condo, a project would need a whole heck of alot of lease-able commercial space.  It would be like adding a few penthouse condos on top of a commercial-focused building.

There is an oversight period by the National Park Service of five years.  If any unauthorized changes (including changing apartments into condos) are made within that period... the IRS has the ability to recapture the tax credit.

If federal historic rehabilitation tax credit projects end up "going" condo... they end up doing it after the fifth year.  There are many examples of this in downtown Omaha.  Where things get a bit more complicated is when projects take advantage of low income housing tax credits.  I believe that the oversight period is 12 or 15 years.  So... projects like Drake Court that took advantage of both have awhile to go if they ever wanted to "go" condo.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I heard the period for low-income was like 40 years. However, you can pay all the back taxes, etc. to get out of it if you want, but it usually isn't financially feasible.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I meant to write this earlier but spaced it off. The Building is now boarded up on the Farnam Street side. The big fancy entrance ways are now covered with plywood. This is sad to see.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I was going to post something about this too. Perhaps this is a good sign actually as usually the first step of any rehab project is to secure the building. ALL of the windows and doors are covered with plywood so maybe this is a sign of getting ready to get things moving in a positive direction. With all the new stuff on that corner (Jazz, Hush, Jimmy Johns, Sullivan's) you would think that is some hot property.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

This morning on my walk to work I saw two Dicon trucks sitting in front of the building on 15th street. They had the metal grade access hole thing in the sidewalk open and had a generator running next to it. I'm assuming hooking/unhooking utilities. Perhaps things are going to finally get going on this.
Last edited by the1wags on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hopefully some signs of progress: I had lunch with Wags today and he said he noticed crews working in/around the building this morning. I'll let him elaborate more since I'm not sure what kind of work they were actually doing.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

the1wags wrote:This morning on my walk to work I saw two Dicon trucks sitting in front of the building on 15th street. They had the metal grade access hole thing in the sidewalk open and had a generator running next to it. I'm assuming hooking/unhooking utilities. Perhaps things are going to finally get going on this.

If Dicon does whatever it is that is going to be done there, i can almost guarantee that it won't be done on time. :)  They did work on a project recently and it went from being a 5 month project to a 17 month project.  Excuse after excuse...i can't believe that they are still in business.  Now, Keiwit is a freakin' machine when it comes to gettin |expletive| done.  That project on 16th, in CB, by the new viaduct?  Yeah, they mean business.  Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent.
Go Cubs Go
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Slight news update here. 3 Dicon guys were again at this building wearing hard hats. They had the 15th St door open and I could see a big job box in the entrance. Maybe we will see some work begining here soon. Then again, maybe they are just storing things in here while they work on that 2 story on Harney behind Patrick's Market.  :?

Afternoon update: There are new large Dicon signage on the building now. Perhaps things really are going to get moving. Here's hoping.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That would be fantastic!  I really hope they are getting ready to start work.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I noticed some guys in the back of the building in the alley working this week. There are signs saying it's a hard hat area now so maybe there is actual progress being made on the inside.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah clean up work is going in here. I've seen workers on the second floor and there is temp lighting on 2 as well. They are dumping stuff into a large dumpster in the alley.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

It's going to be a boutique hotel
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I guess that's better than nothing. I was still hoping for residential.
DTO
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:It's going to be a boutique hotel
That's exciting.  I love hotels.  Where'd you hear that?  Is there a source on this?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Where'd you hear that?  Is there a source on this?
Yes,
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:
Where'd you hear that?  Is there a source on this?
Yes,
Care to expound on that at all?  This isn't the rumors section, you know :)
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

unless something has changed drastically... i wouldn't consider it "boutique".
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

What the heck? Could someone just spill the beans already?
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

the1wags wrote:What the heck? Could someone just spill the beans already?

LOL! I'm with you wags, there must be an underground urban-development club or something that I haven't been invited too!!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Care to expound on that at all?  This isn't the rumors section, you know
No, I don't care to expound.
If I thought it was rumor I would have posted it accordingly.
It will be a hotel, you may not consider it boutique but it will be a hotel.
(unless the developer goes under)
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

The Barker building was just registered as a historic building according to the OWH.  This probably means that the current owners are looking for historic tax credits to help restore the building.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

redfield wrote:The Barker building was just registered as a historic building according to the OWH.  This probably means that the current owners are looking for historic tax credits to help restore the building.
Historic Omaha, don't you have an in on these applications?  Can you share any more info on this project?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here is the OWH article:

Four Omaha sites added to historic list
JOHN P. ASKEW WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The additions are: the Barker Building, 306 S. 15th St.; the Selma Terrace apartment building, 630, 634 and 636 Park Ave.; Terrace Court apartments, 836, 840 and 842 Park Ave.; and the Park Avenue Apartment District, with four buildings bounded by Leavenworth Street, Park Avenue and 30th Street.

The Barker Building represents the work of prominent local architects James Allan and Noel Wallace and contractor Kiewit Construction, now the Kiewit Corp. In 1886, the six-story building was nearly finished when it caught fire and collapsed. Rebuilt and completed in 1889, it burned down in 1928. It was rebuilt a second time in 1929 for $1 million. It was eligible for recognition because of its traditional modernism architecture — modern interiors masked by traditional exteriors. The building is also an example of a neo-gothic revival style, featuring limestone walls and stone trim.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

As far as I know...

The project is to be a hotel.  Dicon Const. has retained a consultant to help them apply for the Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.  The hotel chain has its own architects (or has retained an architecture firm that designs many of the chains' buildings/interiors).
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It will not be a boutique hotel.  I have a source who definitely knows what is going on and I can't say what it is, but....if you go to http://www.holidayinn.com and look for their brand that is suites (the name starts with an "S"), you will have the answer.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I must be dumb.  I went to the site and under Staybridge Suites they only list one Nebraska location, in Lincoln, with no other sites "coming soon" in Nebraska.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Probably a bit early to be listed as "coming soon".  There is design work to be done, plans submitted to the city for approval, no doubt tax credits, TIF and gawd knows what else to be approved.  That stuff alone can take months.  I stand by what I was told.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Any word on if this is still going to happen?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

maybe a sign of progress?

On may back to work over lunch the city was out putting those "No Parking" bags up around the building. They usually put those up around a building or area that's going to be getting worked on. Maybe something is finally starting.
DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

DTO Luv wrote:maybe a sign of progress?

On may back to work over lunch the city was out putting those "No Parking" bags up around the building. They usually put those up around a building or area that's going to be getting worked on. Maybe something is finally starting.
That was 2 work weeks ago, did they accomplish anything?
where the corn meets the concrete
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I haven't seen anything. There has been people parking there again too. Perhaps it was a one day thing to locate utilities or something?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Today there are two or three Dicon trucks there, one with a trailer full of pallets. They have the front door open and there are a few hard hats moving around. Yesterday Waste Management dropped of two big dumpers in the alley. Maybe something is finally going to get moving on this. Cross your fingers.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Finally! Hopefully something will start to happen in this building. I'll have to look from my condo and see if I can see anything going on in the upper floors of the building.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Does anyone know the progress on this building?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've always wondered what was going on (or not going on, as the case is) with this building.  I've always thought this was a beautiful Deco era building.  It would be nice to finally see something done with it.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Does anyone know the progress on this building?
There isn't any. I've been working right next to this building for the past 8 months, and I haven't seen a single thing going on in that time period. It looks like it's a complete mess and many of the windows are broken or have been left open the entire time.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.