Riverfront Place (721 Riverfront Drive)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Photo Update:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Nice.  I wish they could build 3 or 4 more just like it along the riverfront.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Beautiful!!!!!!!!! Looks great
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

nativeomahan wrote:Nice.  I wish they could build 3 or 4 more just like it along the riverfront.
Well maybe 2 more sets of twins, because 6 towers that look exactly alike would be a little strange.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

And I had to share this one...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Does anyone else feel like Riverfront Place is the most underrated development in the city?  Other than on here I never hear a word from it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Does anyone else feel like Riverfront Place is the most underrated development in the city?  Other than on here I never hear a word from it.
Why advertise if you don't need too, its selling itself.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Boy, I guess I haven't been downtown in a while.  Impressive.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

While not quite to "Full Height", Riverfront Place is basically topped out.  The base of the "Mohawk" is poured and the concrete pump has been lifted off of the roof and is now sitting on the ground.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Last Saturday, a friend and I hiked across the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge to Iowa and back.  I took these photos of Riverfront Place's Second Tower construction.

This is the view north across the Lewis & Clark Marina, The Riverfront Place's Second Tower is behind Nebraska Bridge Tower / Pylon ...

... and a closer view.

View from ramp the leading up to Pedestrian Bridge's Omaha Spiral.

The National Park Service Headquarter building reflection of the Omaha Spiral, Nebraska Pylon and the Riverfront Place's Second Tower ...

... and a closer view

At middle of the river, from this angle, the Info panel titled River of Change is between the Riverfront Place's two towers ...

View of the two towers from the Iowa side.

View all of last Sunday's crossing photos at:
http://steveadamsomaha.org/2010_Highlig ... allery.htm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice Photos Steve!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update!

Mohawk going on.  I bet the tower crane disappears soon.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is awesome!
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I'll second that, great pic.....
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Insane!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Looks like I might have to change my pants....

I'm just kidding, I didn't ____ in my pants.

AMAZING
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Second condo tower reaches top
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Work started in fall 2009 on the 15-story, 50-unit tower. Residents are due to start moving in by June or July. 65 people were allowed to take a construction elevator to get their first of the river views from the top.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben Proctor was on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Still have 3 lots.
Hoping to attract a really nice restaurant on the River
Doesn't know anything new about a second ped bridge over the train tracks to the ballpark/Qwest
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

What is a "lot"?

Meaning they could potentially put up three more towers?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A parcel of ground (Lots 1,4, & 5 Riverfront place replat 1).  Well I think the original plan was for the restaurant and more row houses.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

They should come up with three unique designs and build three more 15 story towers...

Okay, that's greedy. A nice restaurant would work well.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now that the two towers are there - I would rather have restaurant/retail to draw people to the riverfront. Too bad the French Cafe couldn't mover there.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Assuming both towers 1 and 2 are sold out within a reasonable time frame, I would think developers would opt for another tower over a restaurant, given how many Omaha area restaurants struggle to turn a substantial profit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tower one is full and tower two is over half sold.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:Assuming both towers 1 and 2 are sold out within a reasonable time frame, I would think developers would opt for another tower over a restaurant, given how many Omaha area restaurants struggle to turn a substantial profit.
Just to be clear tower instead or tower on top of?  B/c that would be great the get the best of both.  And trust me I know I am way ahead of myself here.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:
S33 wrote:Assuming both towers 1 and 2 are sold out within a reasonable time frame, I would think developers would opt for another tower over a restaurant, given how many Omaha area restaurants struggle to turn a substantial profit.
Just to be clear tower instead or tower on top of?  B/c that would be great the get the best of both.  And trust me I know I am way ahead of myself here.
Not sure what you mean, I was implying that if both of the existing towers sell out within a reasonable time frame (which it seems they will from the answer above), that it would only make more sense to think about an additional (3rd) tower instead of a restaurant, from a revenue standpoint, of course.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was just wondering if you meant instead of or literally over it as in build on top of hypothetical restaurant.[/b]
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:
I was just wondering if you meant instead of or literally over it as in build on top of hypothetical restaurant.
Even better.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Instead of a restaurant on the bottom of the tower, why not a restaurant on the top? I think simply the views would attract quite a few costumers.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

3 story parking garage, tower on top, restaurant on very top. Done.

:mrgreen:

On a more serious note, what kind of restaurant would you guys like to see if a nice one were to locate there?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The restaurant would have to be designed in a such a way that there would be an absolute minimum of interaction between residents and restaurant-goers.

There has already been much controversy among the residents about the proposed restaurant as it is. If many residents had their way, it would be a gated community, just like they were used to in West O. God help them, a public restaurant connected to their building?!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The restaurant would have to be designed in a such a way that there would be an absolute minimum of interaction between residents and restaurant-goers.

There has already been much controversy among the residents about the proposed restaurant as it is. If many residents had their way, it would be a gated community, just like they were used to in West O. God help them, a public restaurant connected to their building?!!!
Could just do it like they did here in the Minneapolis suburb of Edina when they built the Westin Edina Galleria.  

About 12 stories of condos on top, 6 story hotel underneath that, totally separate entry for hotel guests and residents, and the ground floor features a McCormick & Schmick's restaurant.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, you could do that, but I'm just saying that many of the more influential residents already living in or who will live in RFP would prefer the place to be a gated community (because in many ways that's what it is anyway)- so it could be a tough sell.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Aaron... you have some association with RFP, correct?  These developers seemingly had so much success with these projects, even in this economy... what's the chances they take up something else in Omaha?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, I used to work with Ben Proctor in the sales office there.

I can't really comment on the likelihood that the developers would pursue other developments in Omaha. I guess it depends entirely on their assessment of the market, since they are most definitely in the money-making business, not the let's-make-Omaha-a-better-place-to-live business - not to say anything of the personal character of the developers.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So does this imply that they are merely breaking even on these projects?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No, I'm not implying that at all. I'm just saying that, unsurprisingly as out-of-state developers, their bottom line is their primary concern and any future developments would be pursued based on the belief that they will be able to maximize their bottom line.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Today the tower crane is disassembling itself.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

:(  :(  Say it isn't so! That most likely will be the last tower crane above downtown Omaha for quite sometime. I'll just have to drive 680 more often as the two cranes at Old Mill look very impressive heading north towards Westroads.