Riverfront Place (721 Riverfront Drive)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I didn't catch that you meant the whole riverfront, I thought you were talking just riverfront place.
My bad.  Sort of left the topic.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:My bad.  Sort of left the topic.
No biggie, I do agree with you that it was parking lot central down there on the riverfront as a whole.  Gallup has so much land left that I don't see it changing anytime soon either.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Well this is exciting!! The more development in and around this area the better.. as it will only lead to the completion of establishing NDT into an actual destination finally  :mrgreen:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I wasn't expecting anything high density but the building in that rendering looks like something you would see in the suburbs.
The Riverfront isn't exactly a beacon of urbanity as it is.  I would just be happy to get another dinning option down there.
I hear ya, I think I'm just being nit picky.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Since the topic is up one thing I notice every time I am on the bridge is how many of the units on each tower are occupied.  If furniture on the balconies is any indication it looks like +75% of the units have residents.

I really think a riverfront apartment tower would have no trouble filling up.  The views there alone could sell the place.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Anything to add to the North Downtown Area like this is a positive. Gets more foot traffic down there, and it will make the area feel a lot less like an open parking lot prairie with an arena on it. "Smaller" projects like this add up to have benefits that can be far greater than the sum of their parts.

Now if we can only get "The Yard" to not be a concrete yard....oh and Shamrock.
No posts exist for this topic
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

These  lots have been on the market for quite a while...just a cheap marketing piece for the new listing brokers. Nothing new here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Riverfront may add commercial projects

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130928/M ... l-projects
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Developers of the Riverfront Place condominiums are starting a push to add commercial projects to the area.

“We're hoping to have these lots sold with new product out of the ground within a year,” said Chad Hansen of CBRE/Mega, the firm providing brokerage services.
I am just presuming the three lots are these:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes, you are correct.  The rendering shows the two lots next to Gallup.  The river lot may be tough for retail at this point.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Yes, you are correct.  The rendering shows the two lots next to Gallup.  The river lot may be tough for retail at this point.
Wasn't that lot slated for a restaurant?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:The river lot may be tough for retail at this point.
Why? Visibility concerns?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Other than a restaurant, I can't really imagine what kind of retail would fit in here...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Yes, its kid of hidden from the road and also, this is still Omaha... PARKING
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:Since the topic is up one thing I notice every time I am on the bridge is how many of the units on each tower are occupied.  If furniture on the balconies is any indication it looks like +75% of the units have residents.

I really think a riverfront apartment tower would have no trouble filling up.  The views there alone could sell the place.
Riverfront Place I sold out shortly after opening, and even II was at 50% sold in early construction phase. I can't remember but I think they even made it bigger...

Edit:

Also, I like the look of it. Blends with the row houses well.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Yes, its kid of hidden from the road and also, this is still Omaha... PARKING

HE SAID IT. HE SAID THE "P" WORDDDDD!!!!!

Get the tar and feathers!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I don't like it. It does not mesh well with the row homes. It looks like the type of building where only dentist offices care to exist.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Re:

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Riverfront may add commercial projects

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130928/M ... l-projects
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Developers of the Riverfront Place condominiums are starting a push to add commercial projects to the area.

“We're hoping to have these lots sold with new product out of the ground within a year,” said Chad Hansen of CBRE/Mega, the firm providing brokerage services.
I am just presuming the three lots are these:

These vacant lots are being actively marketed for sale again.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Official: Riverfront Place

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think the poor access is going to make them a tough sell. The adjacent railroad track really needs to be covered
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Top floor penthouse at Riverfront Place is for sale. Only $2,800,000.00

https://www.npdodge.com/property/347851 ... nt%20Plaza

Sweet Views
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 am Top floor penthouse at Riverfront Place is for sale. Only $2,800,000.00

Sweet Views
Incredible
Go Cubs Go
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 am Top floor penthouse at Riverfront Place is for sale. Only $2,800,000.00

Sweet Views
When are you closing Brad? :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Sweet Views
When are you closing Brad? :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Think of the pictures you could take while still in your jammies!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I cam across this article. These are cool projects that don't take a lot of land. But this reminded my of Riverfront Place and Breakers Apartments and what kind of infill we could see there. I would really like to see a mid/high rise hotel on the riverfront somewhere.

A little vision, a small site on the water, makes a huge asset

Plant Riverside District in Savannah, GA

Hammets Wharf in Rhode Island.
Well-designed waterfront development ties into two of CNU’s core mission goals in coming years—using design to create or add to complete neighborhoods and address issues related to climate change.

Nearly every city or town, no matter how humble, has underutilized waterfront properties. Even suburbs often have hidden waterfront assets. They could be located on a creek, river, lake, or ocean. They often include abandoned or underutilized buildings, parking lots, or uses that could be located elsewhere.

Both developments featured here are located in places with great existing urbanism, but neither depends on that. The Newport project was built on a surface parking lot—and any run-of-the-mill city, town, or suburb has plenty of that. The Savannah site was an eyesore surrounded by chain link fence. “Rust Belt” cities are awash in such sites. They are often taken for granted. But even a small waterfront site can turn into a social and economic draw for a city or town.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... -16-20.pdf

I know this is kind of old, but the owner of the three vacant lots was proposing to build a, relatively sad, project for the eastern most parcel next to the river, address is 505 Riverfront Plaza. It went through the urban design board and the HOA and owners in the plaza were fully against it. The owner wanted to build a 50x100 footprint building, three floors of residential on one floor of covered parking. 5 units. I am glad it was killed; this area needs similarly massed development, maybe two more towers. I don't think these are on the market anymore, but it's still the same owner.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association

Post by Vitruvius »

ita wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 am I cam across this article. These are cool projects that don't take a lot of land. But this reminded my of Riverfront Place and Breakers Apartments and what kind of infill we could see there. I would really like to see a mid/high rise hotel on the riverfront somewhere.

Well-designed waterfront development ties into two of CNU’s core mission goals in coming years—using design to create or add to complete neighborhoods and address issues related to climate change.

Nearly every city or town, no matter how humble, has underutilized waterfront properties. Even suburbs often have hidden waterfront assets. They could be located on a creek, river, lake, or ocean. They often include abandoned or underutilized buildings, parking lots, or uses that could be located elsewhere.

Both developments featured here are located in places with great existing urbanism, but neither depends on that. The Newport project was built on a surface parking lot—and any run-of-the-mill city, town, or suburb has plenty of that. The Savannah site was an eyesore surrounded by chain link fence. “Rust Belt” cities are awash in such sites. They are often taken for granted. But even a small waterfront site can turn into a social and economic draw for a city or town.
Those are very smart and thoughtful developments. Omaha could have had something very much like that by today if Jobbers Canyon had been saved. There was a plan for a marina back then among other things. Where could something like this be developed now, the CB side of the river?
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I mean, the riverfront still has a marina...

But overall, yes. I'd love a greenway from Bellevue to North Downtown on the river!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I suppose the Breakers is the closest thing to these examples. I wonder how much the railroad tracks are an impediment to more residential riverfront development?
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

nebport5 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:40 am I suppose the Breakers is the closest thing to these examples. I wonder how much the railroad tracks are an impediment to more residential riverfront development?
South of the bridge looks doable (without going through the GIS to see exactly who owns what).

I could also see another pedestrian bridge from Bellevue to Iowa, and down the river to the Bob...
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Vitruvius wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:05 pm
ita wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 am I cam across this article. These are cool projects that don't take a lot of land. But this reminded my of Riverfront Place and Breakers Apartments and what kind of infill we could see there. I would really like to see a mid/high rise hotel on the riverfront somewhere.

Those are very smart and thoughtful developments. Omaha could have had something very much like that by today if Jobbers Canyon had been saved. There was a plan for a marina back then among other things. Where could something like this be developed now, the CB side of the river?
There was a marina planned for Council Bluffs part of the riverfront revitalization. It's near the end of this video: https://vimeo.com/279569448

I am sure there have been reconsiderations to a lot of what was planned on the southern portion due to the 2019 floods. Most of what's now planned is on the north part by River's Edge: https://www.councilbluffs-ia.gov/2435/R ... Phase-Four
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Crew is dredging Omaha's Riverfront Marina of sand and silt

A dredger sits in the Riverfront Marina south of the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Taking up its station within the Missouri River inlet last week, the machine will continue to grind and suck up sediment that infiltrated the small area during the 2019 flood. The flooding “pretty much filled that marina up with sand and silt,” said Jake Lindner from the Omaha Parks Department. He added that the flooding also slightly damaged the docks encompassing the inlet.

An overhead view of the dredger that is removing sand and silt from the Riverfront Marina south of the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. The Federal Emergency Management Agency project began last week and is expected to last another three weeks.
CHRIS MACHIAN, THE WORLD-HERALD

Dredge America, which is based in Kansas City, Missouri, was awarded the contract for dredging the marina at a cost of $446,375. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is set to cover 95% of the project’s costs. The city will cover the remaining 5%. Lindner said the dredged material will go back into the river and flow downstream. He added that the dredging crew already had removed 5 feet of sand from the marina. Overgrown vegetation also will be cleared. Dredge America, which is based in Kansas City, Missouri, was awarded the contract for dredging the marina at a cost of $446,375. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is set to cover 95% of the project’s costs. The city will cover the remaining 5%. Lindner said the dredged material will go back into the river and flow downstream. He added that the dredging crew already had removed 5 feet of sand from the marina. Overgrown vegetation also will be cleared.

Once the project is completed, the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority will manage the marina along with other parts of Lewis & Clark Landing. In an email, MECA spokeswoman Kristyna Engdahl said the marina will reopen along with the rest of Lewis & Clark Landing in 2023. The crown jewel of the landing’s renovation will be the $101 million science center. The Lewis & Clark Landing renovation is part of a $400 million riverfront revitalization initiative that includes the recently renovated Gene Leahy Mall and the ongoing renovation of Heartland of America Park. Heartland also is expected to reopen next year. Other components of the Lewis & Clark Landing renovation include four sand volleyball courts with nearby green space and shade structures, a scenic boardwalk, an urban beach that will include fire pits and a playground.
monkeyjokes
New to the Neighborhood

Post by monkeyjokes »

What's the attraction to the marina without a bar and restaurant or food or bar trucks? Just sayin I'm not taking my boat up or down river to a science center.
monkeyjokes
New to the Neighborhood

Post by monkeyjokes »

Half a million to dredge this tiny marina seems like a massively exorbitant amount of money. Reminder to self......get in the dredging business.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Something is being done on one of the empty lots here! TIF plan will be reviewed at Dec's planning board meeting. It's on the agenda, I am sure iamjacob will upload the plan when it's posted.

Edit: It's the lot next to the North tower. Crossing my fingers for a third tower.
Last edited by ita on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ita wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:09 am Something is being done on one of the empty lots here! TIF plan will be reviewed at Dec's planning board meeting. It's on the agenda, I am sure iamjacob will upload the plan when it's posted.

Edit: It's the lot next to the North tower.
Is the assumption it would be more townhomes like the ones adjoining the South Tower?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am
ita wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:09 am Something is being done on one of the empty lots here! TIF plan will be reviewed at Dec's planning board meeting. It's on the agenda, I am sure iamjacob will upload the plan when it's posted.

Is the assumption it would be more townhomes like the ones adjoining the South Tower?
There was a plan reviewed a year or two ago by the design board for the lot right on the trail, south of the north tower. It was a three story condo building and the HOA vehemently fought that development. I want a tower, but maybe townhomes are destined for that lot. We'll find out Thursday or Friday.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ita wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 am

There was a plan reviewed a year or two ago by the design board for the lot right on the trail, south of the north tower. It was a three story condo building and the HOA vehemently fought that development. I want a tower, but maybe townhomes are destined for that lot. We'll find out Thursday or Friday.
That’s honestly comedic
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

“Riverplace Rows TIF” sounds like townhomes to me. The entity that owns the land looks like it traces back to Milestone Development.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I'm guessing the HOA wasn't fighting to get something taller built?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 am

I'm guessing the HOA wasn't fighting to get something taller built?
I think they wanted something more in line with the existing structures, design wise. I don't think a rendering was available, but I guess the HOA did not think it fit in well.
ita
County Board

Re: Riverfront Place (721 Riverfront Drive)

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 am “Riverplace Rows TIF” sounds like townhomes to me. The entity that owns the land looks like it traces back to Milestone Development.
Yeah, your right. Oh well, at least more housing options in the area will be available. There are still a couple empty lots there, so I hope a third (and fourth) tower is built there eventually.