Riverfront Place (721 Riverfront Drive)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Riverfront Place (721 Riverfront Drive)

Post by eomaha »

Tax incentives OK'd for riverfront condos
From the World Herald...

Riverfront Place, the upscale condo community planned for Omaha's riverbank, could start offering purchase options by the end of the summer and break ground next spring.

The City Council moved the project a step closer to reality Tuesday by unanimously approving changes in the riverfront plan that provide the condo developers with nearly $2.9 million in tax incentives.

Ross L. Robb, one of the developers of the $35 million projects, said his group can't move until the plans have full city approval. During the summer, the council will be asked to approve the detailed plans.

Mayor Mike Fahey picked the out-of-town developers from among competing proposals for the six acres just south of the Gallup University campus.

Robb, who is from Tempe, Ariz., said the first phase of the plan involves a 36-unit condo tower and 18 townhouses. A second tower and nine more townhouses, along with a restaurant and other possible commercial space, are part of the overall plan.

As with similar projects, financing for each phase comes through after obtaining firm purchase commitments for at least half the units.

There have been some murmurs of concern because the project Web site, http://www.riverfrontplace.com, hasn't been changed since last year, and those who contacted the developers haven't received any updates.

The original plan was to tie the opening of the first condo tower to the opening of the pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River. That project now has been delayed at least a year.

Robb said Riverfront Place remains on pace for a 2006 opening.

"But we can't do anything until we get all the city approvals," he said.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

That's great they are one step closer to being built, but not till next spring? Wasn't the original plan to break ground by the end of the summer?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Summer 2004 was the original time frame thrown around for start of construction ... I came to the realization a long time ago... that things move much more slowly here.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Aint that the truth, Jeff!

Man, I don't know if I can wait 'till next spring to see progress on this. There were so many things I was looking forward to seeing progress on this summer, but it all went and got delayed. Grrrrrrrrr.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I drive by that spot often and try to visualize what it will be like in person. Good things take time but not this much time. They have all summer and fall to work on the buildings so to wait until spring seems unnecessary to me.
DTO
Admin
Law Enforcement

Riverfront Place update

Post by Admin »

Riverfront Place project moving toward reality

The planned condo community along Omaha's new riverfront geared up Monday for a sales push this fall and the beginning of construction next spring.

Greg Peterson, the former city planner and project manager for Riverfront Place, checked out the potential views from 30 feet high, 80 feet high and the 110-foot penthouse level with the help of a Hawkins Construction Co. crane.

Riverfront Place, which the city chose last November to develop the prime land south of the Gallup University campus, is on schedule, Peterson said. The developers didn't want to move until the City Council approved the construction and financing plans.

During the 10 months since the developers of the 104-unit Riverfront Place were selected, a number of other downtown Omaha townhouse and condo projects have been unveiled.

"No other project in downtown is right on the river," Peterson said. "This site is incredibly unique."

Garrison Partners of Chicago will handle sales. The group has marketed condo projects in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver and St. Louis.

Brochures, virtual tours and a sales office will open in late October or early November for the first phase, which will include a 34-unit condo tower and 18 townhouses. Another tower, additional townhouses and a possible restaurant and store will be built later.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

It's good to see that this project is going to go through. It will be nice to see some more construction in the area, since it has dwindled lately. Too bad One Renaissance Center is having so many problems getting approved. Maybe if Riverfront Place and the other condo project in the area are successfull, it can feed off this and realize the potential they have for development in the area.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm gald to see how many feet the building will be. Does anyone know what kind of places would go into the retail section of RvrfrntPlc?
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hopefully there will be more restaurants included. It'd be nice to have some within walking distance for lunch.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Great news.

And once this takes off (along with the pedestrian bridge), I have no doubt Renaissance Center will again get on track.
Coyote
City Council

Riverfront Condo$ news

Post by Coyote »

$1M penthouses :o
Riverfront condos top $1 million

Prices are going through the roof on the planned Riverfront Place condo development, with penthouses topping out at more than $1 million.

Ross Robb, one of the developers, describes the condo tower and townhouse development planned south of the Gallup University campus as "luxury and super-luxury."

The super-luxury tag raised eyebrows Tuesday at a meeting of the Old Market Business Association. Robb said two $1 million penthouses each would cover 4,200 square feet on the 12th and 13th floors of the first of two towers.

"They are more like two-story townhouses on top of the building," Robb said.

The development has gone through some revisions since it was announced last year. The original plan called for condos and townhouses that would sell for $200,000 to $500,000.

The original one-bedroom, 1,000-square-foot condos still will sell in the low $200,000 range, Robb said.

The 34 condo units will be stacked, with lower-priced, smaller units on the lower floors. The 2,700-square-foot, half-floor units will go for around $750,000.

Construction may begin next spring with completion in three to five years.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

I don't see anyone wanting to pay $1million for a penthouse of a condo building located near an airport. Being 13 stories (i thought it was 12, but if they want to add another level thats cool) in the air near low flying planes I'd bet that it would get pretty loud late at night or at peak hours.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Commercial jets aren't nearly as loud as they used to be (certainly not as loud as the Offutt 'heavies' which fly over my house all the way out at 168th and West Center!)

I'll make you a little bet Jay... that both of those million dollar condo's get sold.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I bet one is already in the neogation(sp) stages.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'll put money on you, Jeff.

Plus, I'm downtown all the time, and "jet noise" is never an issue. They're not going to be that low that close to downtown.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yep, I'm with StreetsOfOmaha on this one. When they first built the Gallup campus I laughed because I thought every meeting would be interrupted by jet roar. When inside I can't hear any airplane related noise. In fact the only time I hear any is when I'm outside, the wind is out of the North and they take off or reverse-thrust on landings.

Jeff, I share your pain! (but not too much, I'm an airplane fiend :) )
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It's just my wife's pain...

I'm something of an aviation buff myself. :)

http://www.hustonfamily.com/aircraft
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I don't know what we're going to do with you Jeff. :shock:

What next, a webpage dedicated to your Star Trek and or Star Wars fascination?

:P
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Aww... I was never much of a science fiction nerd (I had a friend in high school though... who could recite any part from the 'Wrath of Khan')

But I think you already know about the astronomy hobby... :)

http://www.hustonfamily.com/jeffsastro/
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

:shock:
Jeff, are you a member of the Omaha Astronomical Society? My brother and dad frequent the monthly meetings and the star parties. Small world!
I'm a "plane nut" too. I'm a non-current private pilot. If I was current I'd be up with my dad and his camera getting lots of Omaha aerial pics.
I can also confirm the noise issue. I use the river trail from L&C Landing to Miller's Landing around the lunch hour. A decent amount of air traffic and not much noise.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

After living only a few blocks from Offutt for over 20 years, I never minded all the planes, even during the air shows. I think the condos would be free from the noise, especially considering the quality construction materials that will most likely be used.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It's a fact too... commercial aircraft are considerably more quiet than their military counterparts.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My mom lives right across the street from the airport where they are building the International terminal or whatever it's called and the planes don't bother any of them.

I think that the $1mill will sell, but I wonder if further down the road if more, taller condo towers are built if those will still be worth 1mill or if the other ones will just cost more. I'm not a real estate person so I'm just speculating.

If they added more floors to the Place it wouldn't surpirse me. When I heard that CB's towers were supposed to be bigger I called Jim Vokal's office to see if their was anything we could do about Omaha having the taller of the projects. I was told they would check into it but they could lso be doing it out of demand.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Seems as though

Post by Erik »

It seems as though that as soon as a new residential project gets proposed that it almost immediately sells out before construction even seems to start, I believe that Omaha can build a 300ft + residential tower and it would fill pretty well pretty fast which in turn would spawn more dt jobs to fill the vacancies, which in turn would bring more demand for more dt residences etc....
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

I agree that Omaha would be able to support a fairly large residential tower. The need to make sure they sell the residences at various prices though. Most of the stuff for sale now would be out of my price range. I would like to see something new pop up closer to the CBD. I love looking right out a window at a tower right across the street. Does anyone remember the proposed Dunbar tower (25-27 stories) just north of the old market. I think it was supposed to be mostly residential with two levels of parking. I think the developer was out of Minneapolis if I can remember right. They were talking about it around ten or so years ago. Then it seems something changed financially for them or the city. I can’t remember exactly. I just know it would have been awesome.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The Barker building is probably as affordable as it's going to get.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing new construction in the relatively near future though... I mean look around folks... there aren't hardly any good rehab buildings that haven't been used or proposed for use!

I think Aaron mentioned this... I have mixed feelings about ultra high rises (I'm talking 10+ stories) in the Old Market area. I think this undermines the street level appeal to some degree. No one is going to benefit from a view of the Old Market... 20 stories below anyway. On the other hand... I'm all for them closer to the CBD (how about on top of the pathetic Kiewit Conference Center for starters).... or in place of the old Union Pacific headquarters (which is right across the street from increasingly attraction Capitol Ave... and FNB's greenspace under development.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I too am sure Omaha will begin more construction in the near future and I think more developers will see the benefits of residential units near the Old Market, River, and the parks. I think taller buildings around the Old Market would be a really nice touch. In doing this, it will give the Old Market a feeling of a nice little shopping district in the big city and showing the importance Omaha has for the OM.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I don't see the Old Market as a 'Magnificient Mile' retail/dining environment. I think there are however opportunities (further down the road) for these kinds of environs elsewhere downtown. The Lerner building may be a linchpin to accelerated development of such an area. In my opinion of course.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

I think that the prices in the baker building are fine. That would be competitive with most developments anywhere in the city. The ground level stores is my favorite part about the Baker. The really know how to the urban thing right in Seattle.

I think the proposed Dunbar tower was going to be north of OM near the Landmark Center. I think it wouldn’t have hurt the OM up there. Although I don’t quite understand the point of taller towers ruining the street level feel. I would think new towers nearby would generate more foot traffic. I’m certainly not thinking of slapping a 20 story building right in OM. But I think it would be ok as the density of the CBD moves in that direction. At this time I would prefer most of Omaha’s new towers be built more toward the CBD. That is where I would want to live if I were in the market for a condo. I’m one of the “maybe when the kids leave” crowd.

I also think the Kiewit conference center has to go. I am amazed that at one point someone thought that that was a good idea.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

If you look at tall residential towers... they tend to lack some of the street level features you'd have in a smaller building (ie like a huge lobby full of elevators). Plus, simply to me the aesthetics of having a significantly larger tower 'shadowing' the Old Market. I'll take one anywhere I guess (can't be choosy)... but I'd rather have it closer to the CBD.
I’m one of the “WHEN the kids leave” crowd.
Precisely where I'm at!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree, Jeff.

But I have to say, that a tall residential building DONE RIGHT, with contextual design at ground level, would do nothing but BENEFIT the Old Market, increasing foot traffic and the "urban feel".
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

The plaza in K.C. has several tall buildings just off the main drag. By the looks of them I beleive that they are resadentual.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

As long as it has street aesthetics (ie shops, cafe, etc) and a few stories of brick... I'd be all for it. Some time ago I identified the DLR Group entry for 'Riverfront Place' for what I see as a good candidate for the Old Market...

Note the brick transition (excluding the very bottom portion)...

jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

I'd think the best spots would have to be the Kiewit Center, the old World-Herold Building (not sure if they still use it, or the UPHQ. It would be great to see a large highrise residential tower in Omaha. If done the right way, it could be a huge success.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

What about the parking lot east of park 8? That would be a great place for a high rise
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Yea I forgot about that, thats a great place.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

With all the condo talk I would hate to see apartments DT left out of plans. I think they could get a tall apartment tower built in the NDT area for Creighton students and those who would rather rent.

I don't think tall buildings would ruin the OM. They might help to add more area to the Market if people can see it from further away. If Riverfront Place has 2 towers at 12-13 stories that are already mostly sold than it is possible for one 20+ story tower. I would like to see a building in Omaha like the John Hancock building in Chicago. It has offices, residences, a pool, a post office, and a grocery store. You don't really need to leave the building. We wouldn't have anything that size but I would like to see more tall mix used buildings in Omaha.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Riverfront Place preview tonight at Gallup

Post by eomaha »

Riverfront Place sales beginning

The new condo community along Omaha's riverfront is being pitched as "a special place," and it comes at a special price.

After a year of preparation, sales got under way Wednesday with an unveiling of the final design for the development that will feature condominiums in two towers and townhouses.

The starting price for the smallest unit in the tower - one-bedroom with a den (1,000 square feet) - is $239,900. Prices escalate to $324,900 for the two-bedroom units (1,400 square feet) on up to $1.4 million for the two-story penthouses (4,200 square foot).

Townhomes (2,100 square feet) are priced at $349,900 and up.

All those prices don't count the $300 and more a month in fees to cover maintenance, a fitness center and security.

More than 400 people who previously expressed an interest in the project, dubbed Riverfront Place, were expected to attend a private preview tonight.

A permanent sales office will open Nov. 6 in the Courtyard by Marriott hotel at 10th and Dodge Streets.

Ross Robb, one of the project's out-of-town developers, said construction will begin next spring and owners should take possession in the summer of 2006.

The first construction phase includes a 34-condo tower and 18 townhouses. Another tower and set of townhouses would be in a second phase, along with a riverside restaurant.

Although the prices are high by Omaha standards and are higher than early projections, Robb said the current prices realistically reflect the market and comparable developments in other cities.

"This is a project that honors this site and this city," Robb said. "We believe we've answered the call of this community for world-class architecture."

Robb got no argument from Mayor Mike Fahey or Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce President David Brown on the development that will be built directly south of the Gallup University campus.

Fahey said the final design "exceeded the expectation we had for the riverfront."

Brown called it "another arrow in our quiver" to attract new business and young professionals.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

This is really exciting. These condos are going to be very pricey. It'll be interesting to see how quickly these condos sell.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

Are there any plans to build across the street from some of these developments, next to the qwest?