Official: Saddle Creek 'Slowdown'/Bluestone /Film Streams

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Hey, I was even on the younger, better looking end of the crowd when you get right down to it.
Let's not turn people away from the establishment! :;):  I thought it was pretty cool!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Usually that place is full too-hot-for-their-own-good people. The TMBG crowd was hilariously not.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I've only ever been there once. We didn't go for any reason other than to check it out but it was a fine place. Too many kids for my taste though.
Kids that are older than you???

I went to check it out once too.  It was a cool place sounded great, but not my kind of place.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm talking about behavior more than age. Once you pay real estate and income taxes you can't be a kid anymore. I'm a grown @ss man now. :)
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sounds like Bluestone's residential component of this is ready to go. From the Omaha World Herald....

"A new apartment project geared toward 20-somethings won preliminary approval from the Omaha Planning Board on Wednesday."

"The nearly $3.9 million complex at 13th and Webster Streets in north downtown will be unlike anything in Omaha right now, said Christian Christensen of Bluestone Development. It's being designed with Generation Y in mind, which means that the 22 lofts can be used in many different ways and that shared spaces will take on a distinctly informal feel."

"The complex would be three stories high, with retail space on the bottom floor."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald story.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10300108
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Nice! (This is what I was talking about, DTO. Apartments that are affordable and geared toward youngin's).

A friend of mine who works at Secret Penguin was telling me about this in late February (they're doing the website/print material, I think), but I totally forgot to post about it.
DTmatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DTmatt »

Those apartments look very nice!  I too would have hoped for something a little bit taller, but it will be nice to get some more buildings down in that area.  Not to mention that when the baseball stadium gets built it will literally be RIGHT across the street, I can see these becoming a hot place to live

On a related note, did anyone else here ever go to any of the GOO shows at Slowdown???  If so, or if you have heard around, where the heck have these shows gone to???  My booty needs shaking, dang it!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lets try to keep the apartment talk in the other thread or I am going to merge these two together.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

GOO is no longer happening at Slowdown due to various reasons.

Plans are in the works to get it up and running again at a different location (I actually backed into helping set this up). I'll post more once things become official.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

There was an interesting article on Slowdown in last week's Reader:

Slowdown at One  
Bar or music venue?
Slowdown had the same idea that the other important music venue — The Waiting Room — when it opened a little more than a year ago. Music wasn’t supposed to be the main thing. The bar was supposed to be filled with customers even when the stage was dark, which they hoped would be at least four nights a week.

“We don’t want people to think of it as a music venue, but as a bar that hosts shows,” Kulbel said a year earlier.

It hasn’t worked out that way. Blame the location. Step outside of Slowdown, and you’re facing an empty city block covered in weeds and litter. And while there are a handful of condos a few blocks away in every direction, the streets aren’t exactly bustling with foot traffic.
the full article:
http://www.thereader.com/lazyi.php?suba ... =&ucat=25&

Looks like the bar business hasn't been as good when concerts haven't been around...   I'd have to agree with this assessment from my times at the bar.  Relatively empty on a regular night (even a weekend night without a show), but jammed during concerts or other special events - ie pubquiz.

Glad to see that they're adapting, and have the patience to wait things out until the neighborhood develops around them.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I wouldnt say its a bad location, i think its an awesome location, i just think they need to do some more advertising, and also not charge a cover a majority of the time.  It seems like every time I want to go to the waiting room they have a band with a $10 or more cover.  With those prices most of my friends and I would rather just go to a different bar without a cover than listen to a band weve never heard.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i agree.
Go Cubs Go
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Slowdown is a bad area to be neighborhood bar (there's no neighborhood yet, which is why I hope they build apartments next door). I go to both venues (Slowdown, Waiting Room)  quite frequently for shows. I go to Slowdown a lot on non-show nights too (juke boxes inevitably determine which bars I frequent, and Slowdown's is good and free).

On non-show nights, I rarely see more than a dozen people. Where as on show nights they're usually packed.

Also, they don't charge a cover on non-show nights, just to be clear.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

On non-show nights, I rarely see more than a dozen people. Where as on show nights they're usually packed.
Except on tuesday nights when they have pub quiz, every seat is usually full.  If you have never been on a tuesday i would recommend it.  Starts at 9, and winner gets a free bar tab.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've been wanting to go to Pub Quiz for a LOOOONG time.  I heard about it from friends while I was living in France.  I've only been back a week, and missed last Tuesday.  I'll try to go REALLY soon.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

welcome back Aaron!  Let me know if you go down, i've been going the last few weeks
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely!  It would be great to talk about Omaha and Besancon sometime!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Excavation has started for Blue Lofts!!!  Lots of equipment and activity on site.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like some kind of sign going up:
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What do you think about the health of this center?  Will it make it until north downtown really gets up to full speed?  I wonder because I don't hear the buzz about the slowdown anymore, the waiting room has really stolen the thunder there.  I see lots of cars in the lot behind the shops, however I do not see the street level buzz that I was expecting.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

There is no street level buzz, because there is no neighborhood.  It is a destination.  People drive there and park in the lot behind the shops.  You can enter American Apparel from a side door, and never have to walk the sidewalk.  The apartments are entered from the rear.  The real action is in the parking lot.  That is where the foot traffic is.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaChef wrote:The real action is in the parking lot.  That is where the foot traffic is.
There's something about that that just makes me want to poke my brain with the dipstick from my car.  Sad thing is, you're absolutely right.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The question is... is there enough of that parking lot foot traffic to keep the stick man clothing store open long term.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

3 or 4 nights a week Slowdown is packed. Blue Line always has at least 10 students in there studying or using the internet (curiously, there was about 15 people studying in there last saturday night at 9 p.m.). I know Urban Outfitters is doing well, but haven't heard anything about the American Apparel.

I was surprised to see that our Amer.App. Is twice as big as the one I went to in Montreal and 3 times a big as the one I went to in San Francisco.

But I know pretty much every employee of the Slowdown, and they are doing quite well. No need to worry.

Film Streams is still doing really well on donations, so even if no one shows up to a movie for a year, they'd still be running (I went to a movie there last saturday though, and the theatre had about 30-40 people in it...which is really good for an independently run theater ).

BBB has a huge and loyal client base (skaters). All my friends who skate buy their boards there.

I know both employees of Secret Penguin and they're doing quite well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Oscar-Nominated Actress To Help Omaha's Film Streams

http://www.ketv.com/entertainment/19723887/detail.html
www.ketv.com wrote:OMAHA, Neb. -- Oscar-nominated actress Debra Winger has agreed to help Omaha's Film Streams raise money for its two-screen movie theater.

Winger will be in Omaha on Sept. 13 for a special event at the Holland Performing Arts Center to discuss her film career. Winger is known for her roles in "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Urban Cowboy," and last year's "Rachel Getting Married."

The event will benefit Film Streams, which runs a two-screen movie theater just north of downtown that shows first-run independent films, documentaries and foreign films, along with repertory series.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

www.ketv.com wrote:OMAHA, Neb. -- Oscar-nominated actress Debra Winger has agreed to help Omaha's Film Streams raise money for its two-screen movie theater.
Keep an eye on your husband, Mrs. Heineman!  I hear she has a thing for governors...
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great article by Criterion about Film Streams.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/ ... g-in-omaha
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Line out the front door at Film Streams when I went by earlier waiting for new Wes Anderson movie.
fugazme
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fugazme »

Tried to go to the 3 o'clock showing of Moonlight Kingdom yesterday... no go... they must have turned away 100 people after it sold out. Heat + Holiday + only theater in town showing it = insanely sold out.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

fugazme wrote:Tried to go to the 3 o'clock showing of Moonlight Kingdom yesterday... no go... they must have turned away 100 people after it sold out. Heat + Holiday + only theater in town showing it = insanely sold out.
Says a lot about how much the city needed Film Streams.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I cant wait to see that movie, i love all his movies.
Go Cubs Go
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

How long has it been at Film Streams? It opened at Aksarben tonight.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ThatGuy wrote:How long has it been at Film Streams? It opened at Aksarben tonight.
It opened a week ago.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wag is moving from here to 25th and Harney.  Another North Downtown open storefront.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Saddle Creek complex to open bar 'as soon as possible'

Omaha World Herald wrote:The Trap Room, a 1,200-square- foot bar, is expected to open at north downtown's Saddle Creek Records complex at 14th and Webster Streets “as soon as possible,” Robb Nansel, the building's co-owner, said.
Omaha World Herald wrote:The new bar at 733 N. 14th St., would also offer 500 square feet of outdoor seating.
Omaha World Herald wrote:Nansel said he would offer more details about the new establishement later this month.

craft cocktails and lots of PBR?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Does Saddle Creek own those buildings?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Does Saddle Creek own those buildings?
BUSHIDO UNIVERSITY LLC

C/O PACIFIC REALTY COMM LLC
6464 CENTER ST # 200
OMAHA NE 68106-0000
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Does Saddle Creek own those buildings?
BUSHIDO UNIVERSITY LLC

C/O PACIFIC REALTY COMM LLC
6464 CENTER ST # 200
OMAHA NE 68106-0000

I think that's a yes since Robb Nansel is the registered agent of Bushido.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks.  Also by the "as soon as possible" comment I take it they mean by June 15th.