Official: Saddle Creek 'Slowdown'/Bluestone /Film Streams

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
I just wanted to use the word "assholery" and it seemed like an appropriate time.
That was my thought as well. I thought about resonding to your "assholery" comment too just to be able to use the word assholery in an a post about assholery. I was and am impressed.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The bar area of Slowdown is very nice inside.  Very modern, as one would expect.  Walls are shiny tiny black tiles, the floors are dark concrete with a finish that looks perpetually wet, and the side and back floor to ceiling glass are actually garage doors!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, from what I can see from the photos on the website, the place is going to be PHENOMENAL!

I drove by to night.  Some of the outside building lighting was on, which looked nice.  They're putting glass into the big retail/restaurant bay windows in the north building.

As I looked at the project tonight, something occurred to me.  As the project nears completion, and with how AMAZINGLY popular this project is going to be with twenty-somethings and college kids, I can't BELIEVE there haven't been any projects announced for some of the adjacent, vacant land.  SERIOUSLY!!!  More people are going to want to live near that development than the few apartments in the development can handle.  It just seems like there would be other things ALREADY under construction!!!  It's going to be so weird to have that development just sitting by itself until other things come along.  Weird.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sign is up on Slowdown. Should be pretty sweet with the neon fired up.

Less than 6 days!
http://www.theslowdown.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Saddle Creek Records venue to open Friday
Omaha World Herald wrote:In 1993, a tiny, homegrown label then called Lumberjack Records released its first recording, "Water," by teenager Conor Oberst. Now Saddle Creek has reached its next milestone, and it's taking downtown Omaha along for the ride.

Visitors to the complex will find two buildings spanning more than 56,000 square feet. The south building consists of Saddle Creek Records, Slowdown, the Film Streams art-house theater, and spaces in which artists can work and live. Saddle Creek's eight full-time employees moved two weeks ago into their new offices. Slowdown is the next business to open, followed by Film Streams in late July. The north building, to be done by summer's end, will house apartments and retailers: Urban Outfitters, Blue Line Coffee, a restaurant. Nansel and Kulbel own the entire complex and essentially will be landlords.

Among the venue's amenities: a green room with showers and a washer-dryer for bands; glass-paneled walls that open and close like garage doors; a black-and-white photo booth; a free jukebox; an outdoor patio; and a retractable wall that slides into place to separate the bar from the stage.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Any word on when or if Bluestone is going to build the residential building?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Raraavis wrote:Any word on when or if Bluestone is going to build the residential building?
Is it not the north building?  The north building has apartments on the upper floors and will be done in late fall.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

No its the five story building in this pic. It is to be to the east of the south building.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

IS THAT RENDERING EVEN ACCURATE ANYMORE, THE NORTH BUILDING IS NOT ACCURATE, ITS THREE STORIES.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I guess that's the question, if Bluestone is going to build that or not. I hope they do build it at some point. More density. :)

AND WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? :lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was typing notes earlier and didn't hit the cap locks off.
Ben
Human Relations

did Slowdown get their liquor license?

Post by Ben »

Per the article in this week's City Weekly http://www.thereader.com/index.php?suba ... m=&ucat=3& , things were going to be awfully tight on Slowdown getting their liquor license approval, as the background checks took longer than expected.  Does any know if they we successful?  I scanned through this week's City Council minutes and didn't see any mention of them.  Is there a way for them to get a temp (or permanent) license and not be listed in the city council minutes?

I hope for their sake, it was able to get rushed through.  Even though there'll be some great music planned for this weekend, its awfully tough to run a bar without having booze  :?

On a separate note, I can't remember where, but I vaguely remember hearing Bluestone was temporarily holding off on the separate apartment building until they saw how the demand was for the retail / apartment rentals in the north building.  Given the relative success of the leasing of the retail slots (Blue Line, Urban Outfitters, the rumored Hiro location), my guess is that the only pending question is how quickly the apartments fill up once they're listed (I haven't seen them available anywhere yet).  I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of announcement within the first 3-6 months after opening of the rest of the complex, once things are filled up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder when that Weekly article was written - it was posted yesterday - but according to May 8th's corrected City Council agenda they were granted a Class C license.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

FRIDAY 6/8 - $2
7PM.....Cap Gun Coup
8PM.....Flowers Forever
9PM.....Now, Archimedes!
10PM...Art in Manila
11PM...Domestica
12AM...Little Brazil

SATURDAY 6/9 - $2
8PM.....Mal Madrigal
9PM.....The Terminals
10PM...Ladyfinger
11PM...Bear Country
12AM...Neva Dinova
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2399187
OWH wrote:People came from midtown and downtown, west Omaha and south Omaha to scope out the new digs, enjoy a drink, and listen to a half-dozen bands for $2.

"It's so inexpensive to see six bands play," said 22-year-old Jessica Parson, who drove from Lincoln to be part of Slowdown's debut. "There isn't anything like this in Lincoln. It's either coffeehouses or bars there."
Looking forward to trying it out.  I'm assuming it opened non-smoking?

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Very cool place. The bands sounded great.

And yes Big E, it is a non smoking venue.

Here's some pics from opening night.

Getting a brew.

From the balcony.

Me getting crazy with the post processing.

Time to go home.
omahype
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahype »

Opening night was great! I think they have a really special thing going on there and I can't wait to keep going to shows. I've got some more pics from opening night and the Bright Eyes show on Thursday!

Capgun Coup

Sunlight at a rock concert?

Art in Manila

Gaming area

Conor Oberst

You can check out reviews of both nights and even more pictures at http://www.omahype.com
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Checked out Slowdown last night.  IMHO, it is now the best place to see live music in Omaha. VERY cool, awesome sound, modern and immaculate, complete with candles on each table and artwork on the walls.  The crowd was very diverse and from all age groups and the operation seemed to be handled really well for such a new place.  And the best part is you can leave there without  smelling like an ashtray.  If this is the seed of North Downtown, then the new northdowntown should be incredible.  And no, this is not a paid advertisement!  Its great how this worked out so well for both SaddleCreek and the city. This place rocks and is so much better than if they would have put it where they originally wanted.  Can't wait for Filmstreams!  :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Film Streams - Ruth Sokolof Theater (14th and Webster)

Slow Down (14th and Webster)

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I noticed the sign for the Sokolof theater going up the other day and was hoping someone would grab some pics.  Thanks!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a few I took.

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Very nice!!  I like the signage a lot!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'm with chef.  I love it, I really make it over there and check it out for myself.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nonprofit Film Streams will need us
Omaha World Herald wrote:If it succeeds, it will change the film scene in Omaha for good. And forever. Film Streams, the nonprofit that is just five weeks away from opening its doors at 14th and Webster Streets, will fill both its screens, every night, with films nobody else in town is showing.  That word nonprofit is the key.

The Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center, which first had a home at the Sheldon Art Museum, built its own two-screen building about four years ago. It shows the same kind of movies Film Streams will: documentaries, foreign films, small-budget independent films, classic films from cinema history.

The catch, Ladely explained, is that in any city, commercial theaters have first choice at film titles. If Film Streams wants to book a small film like "Black Book," but AMC Oak View 24 wants it, AMC will get it. The less likely a movie is to earn a profit, the more likely Film Streams is the place you will get to see it.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I hope you all realize how important this small institution is to Omaha's cultural identity.  I can't think of another place like it in any city I've lived in---most of these 'film series' places are attached to universities or art museums.  Most 'for-profit' art houses come and go--or they have to show action/adventure films in tandem just to make a buck.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older, or Hollywood has gotten worse, but I'm just not entertained much by what Hollywood has to offer anymore.  I think the writing is lousy/insulting/trivial---it's almost as if they come up with special effects first and write the story around them.  Don't get me wrong, special effects are impressive, but a movie needs a little depth too.  There's a lot of merit in good storytelling.  

Since most small/independent movies don't have the budgets for special effects, they have to rely on good storytelling to reach an audience----probably the best example that most of you can relate to is Omahan Alexander Payne's first movie "Citizen Ruth" or a movie like "Napoleon Dynamite".  These started out as art house films and slowly picked up a cult following.  Foreign films---same thing.  Not all foreign/independent films or documentaries are good (I've sat through some real crappy ones), but in general I find them much more interesting and less predictable than some of the big-budget drivel coming out of Hollywood.

I'm excited that my hometown is opening this theater---so much so that I'm buying a membership.  You might think I'm nuts buying a membership since I live 1200 miles away, but that's how much I want to see this thing succeed.  

I want to encourage you all to support this theater.  Even if it's not your thing--step out of your routine/comfort zone for once and check it out.  You might even develop a passion for good indie films.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

ricko wrote: Maybe it's because I'm getting older, or Hollywood has gotten worse, but I'm just not entertained much by what Hollywood has to offer anymore.  I think the writing is lousy/insulting/trivial---it's almost as if they come up with special effects first and write the story around them.  Don't get me wrong, special effects are impressive, but a movie needs a little depth too.  There's a lot of merit in good storytelling.
Amen to that. And for me it is not just the "special effects" movies.   
ricko wrote:or a movie like "Napoleon Dynamite".

Everybody from all of my son's Junior and Senior High friends to my own friends, some of whom are very educated professionals, told me how much they liked this movie. Some went back to see it several times. I tried to figure it out but alas it was over my head. But it is still fun watching people talk about it and obviously getting into it as they recall their favorite scenes.

I was out on the RiverCity Star last weekend with some friends from out of town. As we cruised past the riverfront area and the area west toward Creighton (I am trying not to say North Downtown) between Carter Lake and the I-480 bridge it is just so cool to see what is taking place and to think of how this area is going to be transformed and will in turn transform the city.

For the last three years now we have taken the cruise in June and my out of town guests just kept commenting on the momentum that is so evident. We are just at the tip of the iceberg of what is yet to come.

Great time to be alive in Omaha!!!
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
zaccos
New to the Neighborhood

Post by zaccos »

Has anyone heard about what is going into the restaurant bay?

last I heard the pizza place had at least some work done in it before the owner backed out.  Also, rumors that the owner of Marks bistro was offered the spot. . .
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I was down there last night and talked to some of the staff but no one knows anything other then what we know.  But I also heard some whispers of the slowdown not turning a profit.  The show last night had the main stage sectioned off and it seamed they met capacity which could have only been about 200.
15-17, 26, 32
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Film Streams, years in the making, is only days from reality

As the days count down to Friday's grand opening of the Film Streams art-house cinema, its director can't wait to share her love of film with her hometown.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10084446
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

MTO wrote:I was down there last night and talked to some of the staff but no one knows anything other then what we know.  But I also heard some whispers of the slowdown not turning a profit.  The show last night had the main stage sectioned off and it seamed they met capacity which could have only been about 200.
yeah i heard they had a problem with building designs.  It ended up being about 100-150 less people than they wanted it to be.  Lots of space in there usually.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

DonutStopLover wrote:
MTO wrote:I was down there last night and talked to some of the staff but no one knows anything other then what we know.  But I also heard some whispers of the slowdown not turning a profit.  The show last night had the main stage sectioned off and it seamed they met capacity which could have only been about 200.
yeah i heard they had a problem with building designs.  It ended up being about 100-150 less people than they wanted it to be.  Lots of space in there usually.
Don't most businesses expect it to be a year or so before they make a profit?  Seems like it's a bit early to be worried about it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Creighton students aren't around either.  Wait until school is back in, and we have a good year or twos business to see if this works.  There is too much invested with this for it to fail.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I love Slowdown.  I've only been a few times since it opened, but intend to start going more often.

It's also important to note that they are the first thing to open in that development.  When Filmstreams opens (this FRIDAY!!!), and Urban Outfitters later this fall, etc. there will most certainly be an increase.

And as you mentioned, Creighton kids being back in school will definitely help.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah, they've been open not quite two months. Does ANY startup company make a profit after just two months?

I'm pretty sure the venue has been at capacity most show nights (they planned it so they could close of the stage to have smaller, bar-only shows)...and it has been sufficiently crowded on the non-show nights I've been there.

They're getting too many sell-out shows for this to be true.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I am sure these guys didn't expect to be profitable day 1.  Both Robb and Jason are too smart to think otherwise.  They are drawing excellent crowds, even on non-event nights.  SaddleCreek Records wasn't profitable day 1 and I doubt they expected this venture to be either.  

I have not heard of anyone renting the restaurant space as of yet.  It is currently used to store all the construction related stuff being used on the buildout of the retail and apartments.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

They got a great thing going down there.  Give em a year or two.  Most new businesses don't make a profit for at least that long.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

So, my friends keep telling me that Omaha is blossoming into one of the best towns to be found between New York and Los Angeles. Here's further proof: a brand-new art house theater. The opening festival is curated by the ultra-hip, ultra-smart producer-writer-director Alexander Payne - an Omaha native.

The new, non-profit theater - Film Streams - will run a combination of fab first-run films along with fantastic classic movies, foreign flicks and and other fun stuff. Their grand opening runs July 27-August 30 with Payne's selections -- starting with the awe-inspiring Seven Samurai from Akira Kurosawa, and including such gems as To Be or Not to Be, Modern Times, and The Last Detail. The gentleman has an eye for quality.

From someone who spent some of the best years of her life in North Dakota, here's wishing Film Streams a boffo opening, and a long and happy sojourn serving the cultural needs of the wide prairie!
http://classicfilm.about.com/b/a/000047.htm
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

[Omaha is] one of the best towns to be found between New York and Los Angeles.
Damn!  I'll take that!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I found this pretty interesting. The Saddle Creek guys want a local restaurant the the complex but they aren't biting. However, national chains are interested. I'm not for a chain or local place. I just want something to go in there.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10110154
OWH wrote:Nansel said at least 10 local restaurateurs have turned down Saddle Creek, saying that the cost, workload and risk are too great and that their current resources are dedicated to operating their existing businesses.

Saddle Creek's reluctance to lease to a national chain falls in line with the philosophy of independence that has guided the business.

"I just think that franchises and corporations are inherently bad for the development of culture," Nansel said. "It takes away any uniqueness of a city."

Nansel said the possibility of a downtown baseball park, which would be built across the street, doesn't seem to play into restaurateurs' reluctance, but the general uncertainty of the entire north downtown area does.

"They're usually like, 'that area is going to be — going to be — exciting in a few years,'" he said. "I think that people are concerned a little bit about it."
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Someone loan me about 2million.  I will build a local place.