Official: Saddle Creek 'Slowdown'/Bluestone /Film Streams

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

A natural kind cafe would fit in there perfectly.
15-17, 26, 32
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

McFoster's certainly would fit the Slowdown demographic, but I like the pizza idea too.  A pizza joint could draw in Creighton students as well as Qwest goers. In a perfect world: La Casa Downtown

I know its too close to Leavenworth and Stargazer's still lobbying for the real La Casa West.

perhaps a Zio's migration from the Old Market?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebport5 wrote:In a perfect world: La Casa Downtown
Agree. That would be a real winner!

I also agree with those who think a good local independent place would be a much better fit for this area than a chain!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Now I'll probably catch heck for this (I don't care) but what's wrong with a chain going in? All succesful Downtowns have chains AND local places. We're doing fine with local places DT but have very few chain restaurants down here. Now that may seem fine to you but living Downtown there are some places I miss. We don't even have a Burger King or McDonald's. I would KILL for a Taco Bell Downtown. There just needs to be for fast food options Downtown. You can't go out to Vivace's every night.

I would like to see a fast Mexican place Downtown. Maybe an Alvarado's could go into Slowdown.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here is what I think would work really well in this location.  It is a chain, although small, but it has a local flavor too since it is based in Lincoln with all there locations being there so far.    DaVinvis is what I am referring to.  It fits the pizza mold that they have stated but they offer more than pizza. It would be a great entry into the Omaha market for both sides.  The location would be great since the CU crowd would be a fit and they would fit a concert and casual crowd as well.    

http://www.davincis.com/restaurant/history.html
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

ESPANA

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

DTO Luv wrote:Now I'll probably catch heck for this (I don't care) but what's wrong with a chain going in?
I won't give you {heck} for it, it's your opinion and it's a valid opinion.

The reason is the same reason you have an indie film house instead of yet another Douglas or Edwards theater, and why you have Slowdown instead of yet another Hooters (probably bad analogy on that one, but I'm sure you get the point).

You want this district to be unique and special.
Maybe an Alvarado's could go into Slowdown.
That's a good example.

You can get chain food anywhere. Unfortunately for those who think only with their pocketbooks, you can get a quicker ROI on a ubiquitous chain than you can on an indie local place. That's what the people who provide the $$$ will be thinking.
All succesful Downtowns have chains AND local places.
True, but when you have a mix, you'll find that the chains tend to choke the indies. The Great Unwashed Masses tend to choose familiar mediocrity over unknown independent excellence. :(
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think North Downtown will end up being more chain places than the rest of DT. The OM and other areas have long running establishments. I think that with all the promise North DT holds that chains will see the bigger picture while locals will hold back. And that's what we're seeing here with Slowdown. I'd be interested to know who the national places are looking to get Downtown.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Just in general, I'd like to see a Chipotle locate downtown somewhere. I think they would do a crazy lunch business if they built in the Brandies.

As far as what goes into the Slowdown spot, I don't care either way if its a local place or a chain, as long as I like the food there. :)

The Filmstreams theater is cool, I went and saw Seven Samurai there.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

[left]  Seems a little hypocritical to me that they wont take in a food chain, but they did take in Urban Outfitters.  That's a pretty big chain.  I don't understand why their views are so much different when it comes to a restaurant.[/left]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I agree that the restaurant should be local if at all possible  Please not another Applebee's or Chili's.  But I understand that the Mom and Pop's find it very difficult to add a second location.  Maybe something from the gang that owns Stokes, but a little more down scale.  A good Middle Eastern restaurant would be fantastic.  A taqueria would also be fun, and there are dozens of independent Mexican restaurants in town, any one of which might want to expand to a second location.  And who doesn't like pizza?  With all the hotels going up down the street one would think they could survive on just their delivery/take out business.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Downtown does need more chains but we are talking about the saddle creek venue.  And to think of anything else to go in there is very ignorant.
15-17, 26, 32
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

what's Alvarado?

DTO, I agree with the notion that there aren't enough fast food places DT.  However, I'd hate to see Taco Bells and Mc D's all over DT(like the burbs).  Of course I'd prefer local/independent as well but could see a Panera/Corner Bakery fitting in nicely.  Chipotle is a good idea too(although I much prefer Panchero's) but its probably a better fit for the CBD rather than for Slowdown.

DaVinci's concept sounds good for good Slowdown.  Maybe we should send a couple of ideas over.  I wonder what local places they approached/ got turned down by.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

nebport5 wrote:what's Alvarado?

DTO, I agree with the notion that there aren't enough fast food places DT.  However, I'd hate to see Taco Bells and Mc D's all over DT(like the burbs).    
Alvarado's is a 24/7 mexican place. They have huge helpings at good prices. It's more real mexican food unlike Taco Bell mexican. I love the place.

This is just a thought? Are chains exclusively suburban? Are local places exclusively urban? If that's the case we shouldn't have any homegrown places in strip malls. I think people are over reacting about chains coming DT. It's going to happen folks. We're a big city with lots going on and people around the country are taking notice and wanting to get in on it. It's not like a few chain places DT are going to close down every single place Downtown. I was mad as heck that Maggie Moo's opened up across from Ted & Wallys (some even alledge I threw a brick through the window), but T&W is still there with longer lines than Maggie Moo's. If the local place is good it will last even against a chain.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For what it's worth, the first three places we tried to eat downtown Saturday night had 30+ minute waits.  There are plenty of faces to stuff and wallets to empty for more eateries.

-Big E
Stable genius.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

the1wags wrote:Just in general, I'd like to see a Chipotle locate downtown somewhere. I think they would do a crazy lunch business if they built in the Brandeis.
"New York Burrito" failed twice in that area. (Once in the Brandeis building, no less.)  And with better food quality that Chipotle (more accurately called Shi-potle IMHO) to boot...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HskrFanMike wrote:
the1wags wrote:Just in general, I'd like to see a Chipotle locate downtown somewhere. I think they would do a crazy lunch business if they built in the Brandeis.
"New York Burrito" failed twice in that area. (Once in the Brandeis building, no less.)  And with better food quality that Chipotle (more accurately called Shi-potle IMHO) to boot...
NYB having better food qualiy must be a mater of opinion.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I haven't ever had NY burrito so I can't comment on a comparison of quality between them and Chipotle. That said, I'm sure a Chipotle downtown would find more success than NYB did before with the changes found in the last 3 years or so.

Anyways, I'm hoping that Slowdown lands some form of food soon. Pizza would be perfect and I agree that a La Casa would be sweet. They need to get after something very soon though. I'm betting that Slowdown will max out capacity after every Creighton game.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Alvarado's has fan f'ing tastic food.  There are 3 or 4 of them now across the metro.  Real bare bones, but very authentic food.  It would be fun to have them at Slowdown, but my guess is the owners want something a little less bare bones. I know the LaCasa people and they don't want to expand.  They have all the business they can handle now.  I have no doubt that someone will be found, but I hope it is a place new to Omaha, or a local Ma and Pop op.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Adam wrote:[left]  Seems a little hypocritical to me that they wont take in a food chain, but they did take in Urban Outfitters.  That's a pretty big chain.  I don't understand why their views are so much different when it comes to a restaurant.[/left]
Really?  You don't understand the difference between food and fashion?

Urban Outfitters is a store!  Do you really expect some local family to start up their own clothing/apparel store downtown, sewing all the shirts and shoes by hand in the back room?  Please.  It's completely different.

Local RESTAURANTS, however, are much more feasible.

While I agree that national chain restaurants and stores will (and should) start to appear downtown, I ALSO agree that the restaurant space in the Saddle Creek development should WITHOUT A DOUBT be a local business.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

My money is on Fernando's. I was there a couple nights ago and the owners were discussing something big. I was too far away to hear everything they were saying, but the little I did hear made me think of the Slowdown area.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

agibson95 wrote:My money is on Fernando's. I was there a couple nights ago and the owners were discussing something big. I was too far away to hear everything they were saying, but the little I did hear made me think of the Slowdown area.
ack! I hope not!   Amigos wasn't available?
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

How 'bout a Yia Yia's Pizza?  Seems like that would be a good fit.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

edsas wrote:How 'bout a Yia Yia's Pizza?  Seems like that would be a good fit.
I had heard that before.  May even have been on here somewhere.

-Big E
Stable genius.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Big E wrote:
edsas wrote:How 'bout a Yia Yia's Pizza?  Seems like that would be a good fit.
I had heard that before.  May even have been on here somewhere.

-Big E
As a real possibility or as just a suggestion?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Obviously no one read the article I posted. Yia Yia's was going to be in there from the get go but they pulled out.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

nebugeater wrote:Here is what I think would work really well in this location.  It is a chain, although small, but it has a local flavor too since it is based in Lincoln with all there locations being there so far.    DaVinci's is what I am referring to.  It fits the pizza mold that they have stated but they offer more than pizza. It would be a great entry into the Omaha market for both sides.  The location would be great since the CU crowd would be a fit and they would fit a concert and casual crowd as well.    

http://www.davincis.com/restaurant/history.html
DaVinci's tried to get into the Omaha market about 10 years ago, and bombed badly.  I have eaten there once and can't figure out the lure of the place.  It simply wasn't very good.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Maybe someone already mentioned this and I missed it. What about Don Carmelo's? Aren't they local? They already have more than one location so maybe they could add another.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bemis, Saddle Creek forge creative partnership
Omaha World Herald wrote:For about two years, representatives from the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, where Peters is participating in a prestigious artists-in-residency program, and Slowdown, which is run by two Saddle Creek Records executives, have been looking for a way to display art at the bar-concert hall.

The Bemis encourages its residents to exhibit throughout the community, and Slowdown owners Jason Kulbel and Robb Nansel wanted some kind of visual art presence in their new complex, which opened in June. But the two laid-back creative forces decided to play it cool and wait until something interesting came along.

Though this project marked the first official venture between the two creative organizations, they have a few extraneous links. Some artists with Bemis ties - such as Bill Hoover - are musicians. Some musicians - like Tilly and the Wall's Derek Pressnall - also create art. Bemis-backed artist Joey Lynch toured with Saddle Creek band Bright Eyes, and Saddle Creek musician Orenda Fink was a music artist-in-residence at the Bemis.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Just bumping the possible restaurant discussion.  I was thinking maybe a cafe with an all day breakfast might be a nice addition.  College kids(Creighton) and scenesters(Slowdowners) love a late night breakfast.  Furthermore, since Garden Cafe's exit is there really even anywhere to get a descent breakfast downtown?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The Magnolia does breakfast.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Don't forget about the restaurant pad site next to the new hotels on Cuming. I think a Perkins or IHOP would do crazy after hours business there.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

nebport5 wrote:Just bumping the possible restaurant discussion.  I was thinking maybe a cafe with an all day breakfast might be a nice addition.  College kids(Creighton) and scenesters(Slowdowners) love a late night breakfast.  Furthermore, since Garden Cafe's exit is there really even anywhere to get a descent breakfast downtown?
Leavenworth Cafe, The Diner, Hollywood Diner, and Dixie Quicks on weekends, plus the downtown hotels.
Back Home in Omaha!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

jjjjhskr wrote:
nebport5 wrote:Just bumping the possible restaurant discussion.  I was thinking maybe a cafe with an all day breakfast might be a nice addition.  College kids(Creighton) and scenesters(Slowdowners) love a late night breakfast.  Furthermore, since Garden Cafe's exit is there really even anywhere to get a descent breakfast downtown?
Leavenworth Cafe, The Diner, Hollywood Diner, and Dixie Quicks on weekends, plus the downtown hotels.
Best eggs benedict for my money anywhere ever (unless I make it at home) is Sunday morning at French Cafe.  Giant meal for $10.

-Big E
Stable genius.
SRT84WD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SRT84WD »

Just head up Cuming to 40th and hit up Lisa's Radial Cafe next to the Cathedral.  While not downtown, it's the best breakfast in town in my humble opinion.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So, we FINALLY made it to a Slowdown show last night to see They Might Be Giants w/ opening guest Oppenheimer.  Here are some thoughts on the venue:

While not a big fan of TMBG (and having never heard of the other), this will be a critique of Slowdown instead of the bands.

When you walk in to Slowdown, you walk into a bar and seating/lounge area with low ceilings.  The "hall" is on the south end of the venue, and opens to a second horseshoe balcony level with a very small amount of seating and standing room, but great views.  There's not a bad place to stand in that entire area.

If you're like me and have outgrown standing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of drunks through a 3 hour concert, the lounge area is elevated enough that you can see the band - but it wouldn't hurt to be 6 foot plus.

Both bands sounded great.  If there's a better small venue sound system out there somewhere, I don't know where it is.  There were even speakers in the lounge area so you could hear the show crystal clear and plenty loud.  Just loud loud, not the"oh my God my ears are bleeding" loud of arena concerts from the 80s and 90s.  Everywhere you were you could feel the music, but it didn't make you want to vomit, and holding a conversation was still plausible.  The bathrooms even had speakers, and were quite clean and not crowded.

Good selection of beers on tap and VERY reasonably priced for a concert: 20 oz tap was $4, but suddenly jumped to $5 when TMBG started.  I asked the bartender about this, and he said they had been $5 all night - but I had bought 3 or 4 round prior at $4 each, so someone behind the bar was doing something wrong somewhere.  While the show was on, there was virtually no waiting at all for a drink, but prior to the show it was an absolute and complete joke as far as service was concerned.  They're probably leaving a two thousand dollars on the table every time they have a full house simply because they have zero systems for getting drinks out quickly.

And I would be remiss if I didn't share with you the highlight of my month:  In a group of four people all over 32 years old, I was the only one that got carded!  Made my 2008, and I rubbed it in incessantly for the next five hours.

Desperately needed: some small airport lockers for purses and coats and all of that stuff you don't want to carry around all night.  Even a decent sized coat check area would work.

[smokerant]

Why do places think sticking 100 smokers outside on a patio next to a wide-open overhead garage door so they can blow all their smoke right back in the building is somehow keeping the place smoke free?  The north half of the bar smelled like |expletive| all night, and I've been coughing up black boogers all morning.  Where do I send my dry cleaning bill?  This is pretty much a deal breaker on a venue for me, but your mileage may vary.  For those of you that make entertainment decisions based on this, you need to be aware of it.  (FWIW, this certainly isn't unique to Slowdown.  There's any number of places that have wide open "walls" to a patio and somehow think that smokes doesn't blow back into the place and fill it up with stink.)

[/smokerant]

So, in conclusion, if you're even marginally interested in a band playing at Slowdown, I highly recommend going and supporting it (assuming you don't mind a small dose of emphysema).  Once they get that smoke issue figured out, I'll be spending some serious ching.

I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like in there during the CWS, but I'm looking forward to it.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Having been to Slowdown about 19137518 times now, I have to say that it is one of the top 5 venues of that size in the country (I say this having been to top notch venues of similar size in San Francisco, Oakland, Kansas City, Lawrence, Ks., Chicago, Minneapolis, and NYC...Bimbo's 360 in SF is pretty comparable as far as quality goes). There is no bad place to stand, everywhere has a good sight-line to the stage. The sound system is amazing. The beer they have on tap is awesome (Hopluia on tap! Woot!). Their jukebox is free (non-indie rock fans won't care though, because it's all indie-pop, indie-rock and some indie-rap, as well as a few old proto-alt-country albums...like that one album by the Byrds that has "You Ain't Goin' No Where" on it and some Johnny Cash. As well as some proto-glam like early Bowie and T-Rex).

As far as smoking goes, that is the first time in months that those doors have been open (due to the cold. There's a small exit door on the east side of the building that lets smokers into the smoking area when the big doors are closed). In fact they only tend to open those doors on mild evening in the spring and fall. All winter long and most of the summer, they are closed, thus preventing any smoke from getting into the building. In fact, that was quite literally the first time I'd ever smelled smoke in there.

As far as prices go, they do have happy hour pricing that I believe ends at 8. I had a pint of Guinness from the tap for $2.50 last night.

I go there all the time because I have friends who work and bar tend there. Every time I go there I am amazed that something that awesome was created because of music. Locally made music bought and paid for that place, and I think that's awesome.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm just laughing at the thought of your big old |expletive| in there. And you got carded? Nice way to stroke your ego. :)
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:I'm just laughing at the thought of your big old |expletive| in there. And you got carded? Nice way to stroke your ego. :)
Hey, I was even on the younger, better looking end of the crowd when you get right down to it. :;):

Anyway, I'd totally go to another show there some time.  They need to address that garage door, though.  Hopefully when the summer heat and humidity rolls in, they'll come back to their senses.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've only ever been there once. We didn't go for any reason other than to check it out but it was a fine place. Too many kids for my taste though.
DTO