Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Anyone know why "Best Western" signs have been removed from the hotel?,  who bought it and is it staying as a hotel?
joeglow
Planning Board

Re: Redick Hotel

Post by joeglow »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Anyone know why "Best Western" signs have been removed from the hotel?, who bought it and is it staying as a hotel?
Hopefully, they are closing it. Does not reflect well on our city:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... raska.html
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Looks like they got pretty typical Best Western reviews (2 negative, 1 average, 2 positive). Let's face it... you could have cars broken into at any hotel downtown over a six month period.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

It's definately not flying the Best Western flag anymore. Hopefully something is in store for this property. I would recommend calling them and asking. They usually will tell you.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

That would be a good property for some apartments or condos.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That building is one of my all time favorite buildings DT. Going inside feels like you stepped back into the 30's. It's cool and kind of scary in a way. With all of the other residential stuff around it I don't see it sitting for too too long.
DTO
rtpetersomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Not closed

Post by rtpetersomaha »

The hotel is not closed, just no longer flying the Best Western flag. I stopped in to ask one of the hotel clerks what was going on. He said the owners ended their B.W. association (maybe they got kicked out for being sub-par?) and was looking for a new chain to associate themselves with. For now, he said they would operate as an independent.

I must say, the hotel is run terribly. Victor Yampolsky from the symphony used to stay there while in town (until they leased him an apartment in the former Regis apts) and he also said it was terrible. Things were stolen from his room, the staff gave poor service and he said it was in generally bad shape. I agree.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

According to a 7/31/06 listing: "Redick Plaza Hotel Restaurant - Restaurant available on ground floor of hotel in downtown Omaha. New hotel owners creating a boutique hotel looking for a restaurant group to operate here. Downtown / Condo conversion/residential area and directly across from the Orpheum Theater. Great spot for lunch and dinner before/after theater dining. Could also provide catering to hotel. "

Just what is a boutique hotel?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

quaint?? quirky??
Boutique hotel is a term originating in North America to describe intimate, usually luxurious or quirky hotel environments. Boutique hotels differentiate themselves from larger chain/branded hotels and motels by providing an exceptional and personalized level of accommodation and services / facilities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

And that is exactly what downtown needs.

I look for boutique hotels first when I am traveling. I don't always stay at them but I look at those first. Very Cool!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was walking by there the other day and noticed that the Redick had a retail by I'd never seen before. I wonder if this is where the restaurant will be or the restaurant already in the building.

I don't know if I want this going condo. I like to take pictures from this place and wouldn't be able to do that anymore.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

D'Shawn, from what I read the new owner would not go condo, but renovate for a Boutique Hotel. It sounds like there was already space for the restaurant here.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Coyote wrote:It sounds like there was already space for the restaurant here.
Yes, there is. In fact, I have ate at that location in the past. Don't think the place stayed open long, as they never advertised, but it was good eats.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's fantastic to see the Redick return to private ownership. Dependin on how it's done, and what the owners are going for, this could be another 4 diamond hotel for Omaha. And I hope the restaurant is classy, modern, delicious, and reasonably priced.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Modern? I certainly hope they maintain the art deco found in there at least.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

This hotel would be a excellent location and design to go botique. For those that know, the Raphael in KC is a great example.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

icejammer wrote:Modern? I certainly hope they maintain the art deco found in there at least.
Whatever it is, I just hope it's done well. I certainly think an ultra-modern restaurant would be really cool there. If they attempted to compliment the Art Deco of the buildin, they would have to do a damn good job and make sure they do it justice so that the resto doesn't look cheesey.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

j4nu wrote:This hotel would be a excellent location and design to go botique. For those that know, the Raphael in KC is a great example.
I absolutely agree!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

That's a terrific building in a terrific location. It should stay a hotel and just simply needs someone to come in and make a serious effort to help it live up to its potential.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

It does have a restaurant already, facing 15th Street. If it became a boutique hotel, it could be a good spot for an upscale dining facility. That building has so much potential, it just needs someone who shares the passion for the architecture and excellent service.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I agree OC - I have been meaning to mention this to a couple of Food Industry friends of mine. In the right hands this could be a city jewel.
the1wags
County Board

Redick Bistro.

Post by the1wags »

Signs are up in the windows of the bar/cafe/whatever spot of the Redick hotel. Says a Redick Bistro will open soon. I'll get a pic later.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Does anyone remember the fabulous Redick Grill?  It was a gorgeous restaurant that was only open a few years in about the late 1980s.  A great mural on the wall.  Very Art Deco.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

This is great news! I'm glad to see something going into that space.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Redick redo

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/E ... /708219888
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Redick Bistro is opening “soon” in the Redick Plaza Hotel at 1504 Harney St., according to signs in the hotel's main floor windows. Employees said the entire hotel is undergoing renovation and confirmed that a new eatery will be part of that. They referred other questions to the hotel manager, who did not return multiple phone calls over the past three weeks.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I was walking back from the Dubliner tonight and noticed the Redick has some new lights that accent the structure from the east. It doesn't look like they have put the new lights on the west side but I'm glad to see they are accenting the building. Maybe they'll get rid of the really ugly awnings from the Best Western days and either leave the space open, or replace them with some nice canvas awnings that better reflect the theme of the building.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Redick Plaza news & location

Post by NovakOmaha »

So according to the Omaha Monopoly Fishwrap the Redick Plaza is closed for renovation.  I decided to google the property & went to the web site.

Imagine my surprise when, according to the web site, the property is conveniently located "two blocks east of the Old Market".  Where in the Missouri River would that be?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

This makes sense. I was wondering why their windows were covered up this morning. A few weeks ago they removed the awning on the front of the building. Hopefully they get rid of that f*cking ugly purple 80's abortion of a sign they added. That is one of the prettiest buildings DT and that sign ruins the facade. It's like  the Chrysler Building being adorned with cans of Auqa Net. :barf:
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Redick Plaza Hotel closed for renovations

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091105/MONEY/711059981
Steve Jordon WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Redick Plaza Hotel, 1504 Harney St., is closed for six to eight months for renovation, according to a person who answered the door Wednesday.

The 89-room hotel closed Monday. Workers were visible inside the lobby, and its canopy along Harney Street had been removed.

A woman at the hotel declined to give her name or further information.

Employees earlier said the renovation will include a new restaurant to be called Redick Bistro.

The 11-story hotel is in a former office building that was converted into a hotel in 1987 as a Radisson property. It dropped that affiliation in 1997 and had been a Best Western property until recently.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Walked by today and they are definitely doing something inside. There was a sign on the door that said Construction Zone but their van was in front of the building. Hopefully they do some nice updates- it would be great to have a classy hotel to connect 16th St. to the Old Market area.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This place has a ton of potential.  The rooms are huge, and the art deco look is fantastic.  Let's hope for the best with this.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

nativeomahan wrote:This place has a ton of potential.  The rooms are huge, and the art deco look is fantastic.  Let's hope for the best with this.
I was always hopeful that they could combine the Barker building with the Redick somehow.  There actually was a plan for that but it died a quick death.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If anyone has been in the building is was like stepping back into the 30's. It was very art deco but some elements made it looked too dated. If they keep restore the inside to be modern as well as retro then I think they could start to get into the Magnolia class of hotel. That bistro will really help.
DTO
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
It looks like the old awning is still on the 15th St. entrance- hopefully they plan on replacing that one too. I haven't seen anything going on either and I have a perfect view into the upper floors of the building.... maybe they are doing some infrastructure work that isn't easily visible. I guess if they said this is going to take a few months it could just be ramping up.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A new awning is being installed this morning, other then that I haven't seen much work going on.
Hmmmm...I live right across the street from this building, and look out onto it, and I did not notice the new awning.  Thanks for mentioning this.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I saw the new awning the other day, too. It's nice; flat black with no lettering yet. The awning on the east side was still the old one.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

All the furniture is being remove from the hotel.  Moving vans have been here for days so lets hope this is the beginning of a renovation.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

This building is definitely being gutted.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I wonder what's being done (or what's being allowed to NOT be done) to preserve the architectural character of the inside of the building.