Hotel Deco (15th & Harney) Former Redick Hotel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

So far all they have done is ripped out all the interior room carpeting and took down all the window coverings.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

demo is still ongoing here.  Looking through the upper windows, it looks like they've got everything removed, down to the concrete support structure.  It even looks like they may have opened up the space some - not individual rooms, but 1 open space on the floor.  

Someone's spending decent money here to do all this work, can't believe we haven't seen anything on who it is, or what their plans for the space are.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Ben wrote:demo is still ongoing here.  Looking through the upper windows, it looks like they've got everything removed, down to the concrete support structure.  It even looks like they may have opened up the space some - not individual rooms, but 1 open space on the floor.  
Not saying work isn't going on, but you could see concrete support on upper floors in there before. If it's to the north side, its the parking garage. Brad, go get a pic for a guy, would ya?  :)
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I thought they renovated that thing quite thoroughly, ca. 1995 or so.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

As I was driving by today, the lights were on, doors open, and there were several workers rolling out wheelbarrows of trash, and filling a dumpster there on 15th st.  

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  There have been several reports of sporadic work going on over the last 6 months or so, but no announcements or anything of the sort.    Are there plans to reopen this hotel?  Under what label?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Ben wrote: Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  .....   Are there plans to reopen this hotel?  Under what label?
I'll answer my own question here.  Can't believe news as big as this got 4th billing in the "dining notes" of the OWH

http://omaha.com/article/20110204/GO/70 ... pcake-wars

Restaurant will be run by Ryan Gish, of Ryan's bistro.  Restaurant to open by May.  Hotel likely to be called "Hotel Deco" and target for re-opening is June.  Nice to see this key location finally back in use.  

This will do tons to help clean up that area, and bring it back to life.  With more and more opening to the west of the Old Market, you're really seeing it merge with the downtown core, instead of a couple of scary blocks of nothingness...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool news!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Awesome.
What was it being used for before this latest renovation? I know it was renovated once in the late eighties/early nineties, and had seen people coming in and out over the past couple of years?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ryan Gish, chef-owner of Ryan's Bistro and co-owner of WingIts, plans to launch a new bistro downtown in the restaurant space inside the former Redick Plaza Hotel at 1504 Harney St.

Gish said Arun Agarwal, majority owner of the hotel and the as-yet-unnamed restaurant, is renovating the 1930 Art Deco building and plans to reopen it as a luxury boutique-style hotel.
Hello! Had anybody mentioned this yet? What a wonderful development!

And I completely agree that this is just one more jewel in the necklace connecting the Old Market to the Downtown core.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Uhh.... look a few posts up....
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Right, that's what I was referring to. I just can't believe that the news was broken as an afterthought in the dining notes section.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

justnick wrote:Awesome.
What was it being used for before this latest renovation? I know it was renovated once in the late eighties/early nineties, and had seen people coming in and out over the past couple of years?
You just described Elton John.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sweet. Hopefully they have success with it. I think it should with the high end boutique hotel model ala the Magnolia.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Big E wrote:
And now I feel dirty! Not for possible double entendres, but because he's just a terrible human.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Big E wrote:
 :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha Radio Show wrote:The former Redick Hotel at 15th & Harney Street will become Hotel Deco, an upscale boutique hotel, which will be part of the Preferred Hotel Group, a chain of 700 properties world wide. Grand opening is scheduled for June 1st. Hotel Deco will include The Zin Room, a restaurant operated by the owner of Ryan's Bistro.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I walk by here here everyday....it's going to be awesome
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Wish they would have kept the name, but that's a fairly small gripe I guess.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha needs boutique hotels, and this should help fill the bill nicely.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

from craigslist:
The Hotel Deco, a new luxury boutique hotel and The Zin Room, a fine dining restaurant, are to be opening soon in downtown Omaha and are currently hiring. The Hotel and restaurant are hosting a Job Fair on Thursday, March 24th from 8:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M. It will take place at the new Hotel Deco at 1504 Harney Street in downtown Omaha. All positions are currently available. The job fair is designed to acquaint interested persons with the positions available and the new property. For more information on the job fair and application process, please contact The Hotel Deco at (402)-991-4981 or email humanresources@hoteldecoomaha.com.
The website works and has interesting mockups of new signage (at least I think it's a mock up, as I don't remember seeing it when I was down there last weekend.)

(I wonder where the name the Zin Room came from. Brings up rather hilarious Rocky Horror connotations to those in the know.)[/quote]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A melding of zen and zinfandel perhaps.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, people often shorten "zinfandel" to just "zin" (which I find kind of annoying...but I don't mind it so much in the restaurant name), so it's not necessarily a melding of any other word, like "zen"... I'm sure they're aware of that connotation, though, and considered that in choosing the name.

Yeah, I love the mock-ups on the website, too! Although, they need to not say "Omaha's Historic Luxury Hotel". Hello! Magnolia might have something to say about that!

Speaking of historic luxury hotels, I'd really love to see the Blackstone made back into a boutique hotel and/or residential.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

So have they done anything to the outside of the building? Power wash the brick, new windows, etc? I'm hoping they are doing more than new wallpaper and carpet and saying "Look, we are luxury now!" Brad, do a drive by shooting, non ghetto style.  :;):
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I also hope this project has a positive effect on the prospects of the Barker Building to the North, and the other building (or at LEAST the land) to the West.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hotel has serious swank

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110413/M ... ious-swank
Michaela Saunders WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Developers of Hotel Deco, an 89-room luxury boutique hotel, want to ensure the building's interior experience matches its exterior significance. They hope it will become the area's third Four Diamond hotel and bring an uncommon level of luxury. The hotel may open April 28, in time for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting, but has a fallback opening date of May 13.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I've always loved this building so this project really excites me. How about the year 1930 in Omaha! Union Station, Joslyn  Museum, and the Redick building all completed or nearly completed that year. It's neat to think that three of the most significant structures in downtown were built more than eighty years ago and are still as glorious as the day they were built. The Durham is holding an Art Deco tour this summer with inside and out tours of Durham and Josyln which should be really cool.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is SO exciting, and a really symbolically huge development for Downtown--another luxury boutique hotel right in the core of the CBD, in a historic, beautiful art deco building, further linking the business core of downtown to the Old Market and contributing to the emergence of a "necklace" of continual, walkable, vibrant urbanity stretching from the CBD to the Old Market to North Downtown.

I love that this will have it's own restaurant, but that the restaurant will also have a "street identity".

And they've really done good planning by looking to open in time for Berkshire Hathaway and the CWS. I think the potential for growth in the hotel market downtown is only beginning to be recognized.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Zachary Z. Zoul, Managing Director of Hotel Deco was the first guest on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Hotel and and Zin Room Open 5/19/2011
They are looking for a small "Up Scale" salon for the retail space.
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Brad wrote:Zachary Z. Zoul, Managing Director of Hotel Deco was the first guest on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Don't you mean zmall, up zcale zalon for the retail zpace?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hawkeye wrote:
Brad wrote:Zachary Z. Zoul, Managing Director of Hotel Deco was the first guest on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Don't you mean zmall, up zcale zalon for the retail zpace?
Zootalore!!

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

the new signage is up and looks great!.

I still don't see how they are going to open in a few weeks.  They are working hard but looks like a lot of finish work left for the lobby.

the Zin room looks amazing
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a Quick cell phone pic from Saturday:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I haven't seen that sign in person but anything is better then the old purple Best Western sign they used to have. Barf.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I haven't seen that sign in person but anything is better then the old purple Best Western sign they used to have. Barf.
The Barf blue awning is still up!  I can't wait for that to go.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I haven't seen that sign in person but anything is better then the old purple Best Western sign they used to have. Barf.
???

I can't say I've ever barfed up anything blue.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Brad wrote:
???

I can't say I've ever barfed up anything blue.
Obviously never drank UV Blue... :barf:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Haha, I have never barfed blue, just talking about the ugly awning on that building...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It looks great! Anyone know if it will be neon-illuminated at night?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:It looks great! Anyone know if it will be neon-illuminated at night?
From what I could see it doesn't look like it will be neon-illuminated but spotlights could be placed on it.  This is just from driving by though I could be wrong.