Omaha Performing Arts Center gets Glass!

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Omaha Performing Arts Center gets Glass!

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I caught this while I was downtown today.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

???

Post by Brad »

What an ugly building, It just dosen't fit omaha!
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

LOL good one brad. The PAC really seems to be comming along nicely. I can't wait until its done.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

LOL good one brad. The PAC really seems to be comming along nicely. I can't wait until its done.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

This is somewhat unrelated but is this the last of the tower cranes on Omaha's skyline currently? I've been so used to seeing them on the skyline for years, it's going to be kind of sad to think about not having one up.

You either like this modernism architecture stuff or you don't. I'm not the biggest fan, but I think it adds quite a bit to the local architecture scene to have this period represented and I bet it'll really brighten up this corner of downtown with all the glass and bright colored cladding. It's too early to tell how this one will come out until the cladding goes up and the lights come on.

To give an example, at first I wasn't crazy about the City of Davenport, Iowa's new art museum, but this thing has really grown on me. It'll practically glow off the Mississippi River at night when it's lit up.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Keeping in mind... we're looking at the back end of the building... no where near receiving it's cladding. The PAC will look just fine when it's completed. The huge glass facade will be very impressive immediately across the street from the mall.

Check out the scale of the 'front window'...looking from the inside out towards the mall.

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

On the subject of cranes... it was indeed quite a site seeing -6- tower cranes in downtown Omaha at one time (we never saw any pictures of the one at the Douglas County prison :) which is turning out to not be such a horrible looking structure by the way).

There will be one at the UNMC campus through this year as well. Nothing as tall as the Durham Science Center or Lied Transplant Center... but another building ($56 million no less) to add to the med center's dense skyline nonetheless.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, I should have noted that the photos I posted are of the back of the building, along Dodge Street.

I'm not a huge fan of modernist architecture either, but I think this building will look |expletive| amazing when complete, and will totally compliment Omaha's architecture, as Ryan said.

I mean, if you look west on Douglas street from about 11th, you get this awesome "stepping up" effect. You go from the 4-5 story Omaha PAC, the Qwest Building, then UPC, then FNC. It's pretty freeking awesome. Just think what that view looked like 5 years ago. It would have just been the Qwest Building.

I might try to get a good picture of that one of these days.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
RyaninOrangeCounty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RyaninOrangeCounty »

I happen to like this style of modern architecture. Great design for the highly visible mall area. When I think of "ugly" buildings in Omaha I think of the modernist turquoise panels found on the Zorinsky building and the recently constructed Methodist Children's Hospital at 84th Street.

By the way, does anybody know when the Performing Arts Center is set to be finished?