The Highline (Northern Natural Gas Building)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Historic Omaha wrote:Mid-City wanted to tear it down and sit on vacant land until the real estate market got better in downtown; however, they found out that they couldn't get out of their lease with Verizon.
That seems like a poor choice, considering there are quite a few vacant lots and parking lots in that area that have been for sale for ages.  There's practically a solid two-block stretch on Farnam.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I drove by the other night, it looks like they are completely gutting this building back to the support structure.
where the corn meets the concrete
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

windsor wrote:I drove by the other night, it looks like they are completely gutting this building back to the support structure.
I saw it Saturday night, all lit up inside, and it looked bare as you say.

Is it really necessary to run those lights - or that many lights of that brightness - 24 x 7? Seems to me like a terrible waste of energy!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Hey, a long as we have oxygen, coal is still combustible.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Omababe wrote:
windsor wrote:I drove by the other night, it looks like they are completely gutting this building back to the support structure.
I saw it Saturday night, all lit up inside, and it looked bare as you say.

Is it really necessary to run those lights - or that many lights of that brightness - 24 x 7? Seems to me like a terrible waste of energy!
Energy efficiency really hasn't hit the construction industry yet, especially with lighting.  It's such a small part of the budget that nobody really spends the time thinking about it.  Most temp lighting on building projects is strings of incandescent bulbs that are temporarily wired in somehwere, so they really don't think about disconnecting them at the end of the day.  They're also left on for security reasons.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Not surprising they leave the lights on with all of the copper and other metal thefts going on recently. But I suppose they could rig up some motion detectors to turn the lights on and snap some photos when intruders arrive. They'd have to pass the cost on to the building owners though, of course.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The problem is that most construction thefts are inside job, so the general contractor needs something monitored. Maybe an IP camera or an alarm system with cell dialer... or whatever. Most just let their |expletive| get stolen, then they call their insurance company. New tools!
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

S33 wrote:The problem is that most construction thefts are inside job, so the general contractor needs something monitored. Maybe an IP camera or an alarm system with cell dialer... or whatever. Most just let their |expletive| get stolen, then they call their insurance company. New tools!
You are correct that internal theft is a huge percentage of the problem for construction companies right now. When we work construction sites like this, we record information on any employee or contractor working after hours and do not allow any material to leave the site after hours, even if it appears to be scrap or trash.  Usually our presence alone eliminates any theft issues, but construction companies that are willing to be aggressive with their after hours policies are most successful at warding off all types of theft (...as well as vandalism and trespassing).

Unfortunately, most sites wait until they incur a major loss before they consider an active security solution.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Some city council info on "The Highline Building" formerly the Northern Natural Gas Building.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... sc/300.pdf
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So as I read there, it is called the Joslyn District.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Thanks Brad, Awesome document, great find.  Its really neat to get a peek into scale of this project.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Drove by and windows were open up and down the middle of the structure. Work seems to be moving.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I had a talk with one of the contractors working on this when he came in to my store today, he told me that not only was the whole thing going to be residential but that were going to redo the parking garage, and possibly build another tower on the site with the current one and parking structure, although I dont know if that is certain or not that they will build something like that there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Turtle9160 wrote:I had a talk with one of the contractors working on this when he came in to my store today, he told me that not only was the whole thing going to be residential but that were going to redo the parking garage, and possibly build another tower on the site with the current one and parking structure, although I dont know if that is certain or not that they will build something like that there.
Certainly interesting that the idea is out there.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

no
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Turtle9160 wrote:I had a talk with one of the contractors working on this when he came in to my store today, he told me that not only was the whole thing going to be residential but that were going to redo the parking garage, and possibly build another tower on the site with the current one and parking structure, although I dont know if that is certain or not that they will build something like that there.
This does not sound like anything Nustyle would do, they are in the business of rehabbing not building towers.  I think you were either fed misinformation or lying.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Well, NUStyle are the ones putting together the neighborhood master plan deal for this area. NUStyle isn't going to build a tower, but I'm guessing they see the massive parking next to the NNG building as an ideal candidate for future development. My guess is that that's what got lost in translation here.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

That is what I am thinking after looking at the stuff on the plans for the site there,  that makes more sence with over all plan for that area
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NUstyle is in charge of the master plan?

If thats the case I guess it's a possibility but I still dont think that will happen.  Also, why is Nustyle developing the master plan for the neighborhood?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:NUstyle is in charge of the master plan?

If thats the case I guess it's a possibility but I still dont think that will happen.  Also, why is Nustyle developing the master plan for the neighborhood?
They threw down half the cash for it.  I assume they have some big plans for the area.  They did invest $30 million in a fairly remote part of downtown in terms of surrounding development.

Not sure if NuStyle is more concerned with backing up their current investment or pumping more money into the area though.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

I'm wondering how much they plan on charging for these apartments. I would be interested in moving back downtown if only I could afford to ;)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is cool!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

They were cleaning the east windows today.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They were pouring the new sidewalks today.  HUGE streetscape improvements for western downtown.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's great. I hope someone can snap some photos soon.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Website and Facebook are up for the project.  Tons of photos and layouts.  Pretty cool to have our first real high rise residential properties downtown.

http://www.thehighlineomaha.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Highl ... 6734870230

Edit: Their forrent page has even more photos.

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-commun ... 069123.php
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't know if it had been mentioned before but the amenities page says there's a rooftop theater.

Over/unders on how long this takes to turn into the new Old Market Lofts roofdeck free for all?
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
Over/unders on how long this takes to turn into the new Old Market Lofts roofdeck free for all?
No doubt. It'll be like TipTop roofdeck, where a girl could get pregnant just sniffing the hottub water.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

S33 wrote:No doubt. It'll be like TipTop roofdeck, where a girl could get pregnant just sniffing the hottub water.
The TipTop's roofdeck isn't that bad.  It's a nice place to relax, and at the very least it has a great view of the downtown skyline and pedestrian bridge.
... wait, what?
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Went on a tour there yesterday. Still a lot of work being done. I personally like what they're conceptualising and liked most of what they showed me. Anybody see the apartments yet?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Maybe I just finally noticed, but it seems this building is being illuminated at night now.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

From the inside or accent lighting?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Outside, decorative lighting.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Pretty cool driving by and seeing units lit up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update shot from Tonight

Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Drove by yesterday, and there were people with moving trucks.  Are residents moving in already?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ben wrote:Drove by yesterday, and there were people with moving trucks.  Are residents moving in already?
Yeah April 1st was the first bunch of move ins.