Nebraska Medicine

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

j4nu wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I certainly agree.

I've always admired the mosaic tiles on that old ComFed.  In fact, if/when it's torn down (and I hope it's not), I would hope to "salvage" some of it.
I would love to see that building along with the child saving institute overlook a new pond/lake in that area.  I wish they would restore the building to restore its polish.  That style of architecture is worth saving but it isn't of the type that looks good worn down.  It needs to look fresh and well kept.
I totally agree.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Moving along nicely:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BK is closed for remodeling, and the signs are off of the bank of the west building?

How does all of this play in to the moving of Saddle Creek?

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I don't know. When I had my old job a couple years ago, I was told that they (SRM) were going to hold off redoing that store because of uncertainty of where Saddle Creek was going to end up. Maybe they know something we don't. Or maybe they are just rolling the dice.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Saddle Creek Road project gets federal funding boost

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10131241

Saddle Creek Road may be moving west, thanks in part to a $2 million federal boost obtained by Nebraska's two U.S. senators.

The cost is estimated at $18 million to relocate Saddle Creek Road to make way for expansion of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. A more precise cost estimate is expected next month with the completion of a $1 million feasibility study on relocating Saddle Creek Road a block or more to the west.

But in an almost certain sign that the results of the study are a green light on the project, the UNMC persuaded Sens. Chuck Hagel and Ben Nelson to secure a $2 million earmark to move ahead with design and environmental plans.

OWH Image:
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

botw branch at saddle creek and farnam is on a 7 year lease that began when it was sold in the summer of 2005. after that it depends on what the plans are for saddle creek. other than that all other botw operations have already moved to 135th and california. the saddle creek and farnam location is the busiest botw branch so i assume they would try to relocate nearby should they need to move.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Saddle Creek relocation puts firms in limbo
Omaha World Herald wrote:More than 100 businesses line Saddle Creek Road from Cuming to Center Streets — from fast-food restaurants and banks to car repair shops and a steel plant. Even though representatives of most of those businesses say they have not had recent contact with city officials or the firm conducting the study, some are anticipating and even planning for what they see as an imminent move.

UNMC has been acquiring property along Saddle Creek for years. The relocation project is estimated at $18 million, but a more precise estimate is expected this month with completion of the $1 million feasibility study. The study was funded with a federal earmark in 2006. In addition to the recent $2 million earmark, more federal funds would be sought for any construction, a UNMC official has said. Other funding sources could include UNMC, the City of Omaha and the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

From today.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow!  That tower crane tag team is really moving this project along!

It would be nice if they could sneak a couple of extra floors in... I actually prefer a little asymmetry in architecture myself. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Living within a block of this place, I have to say that they're really haulin' |expletive|!

Edit: jesus christ, can we please dial down the censorship zealotry. a.s.s. is not a curse word.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Swift wrote:Living within a block of this place, I have to say that they're really haulin' |expletive|!

Edit: jesus christ, can we please dial down the censorship zealotry. a.s.s. is not a curse word.
Jesus Christ flies, but a.s.s., p.i.s.s., and w.h.o.r.e don't.  Makes sense to me. :;):  

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Photos Josh!  They are flying!

@ss might offend some people but the problem comes when you add the word hole to the end.  you can sensor it out if someone types it as two words so it is easier to just sensor out the word @ss.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

There is a public meeting for the Saddle Creek potential move on wednesday starting at 6pm over at the OPS TAC (32nd and Cuming).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Costly options for Saddle Creek

OWH/HDR Image:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10184898
Saddle Creek Road as it exists now is a midtown thoroughfare with lots of development potential but two major drawbacks - traffic flow and flooding.

A new study being unveiled today provides two options for how Saddle Creek Road could be dramatically transformed.

Under one option, the road would be shifted about a block to the west and Saddle Creek's existing path would be turned into a landscaped drainage chute.

The other option would shift Saddle Creek only slightly to the west, with the existing road path used for drainage.

Both options would mean the loss of numerous properties along the stretch from south of Leavenworth Street to just north of Dodge Street.

Moving the road and buying property would be expensive under either option - costing between $35 million and $43 million, according to a study requested by the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the group Destination Midtown and the City of Omaha.
Meeting tonight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Express your views on the Saddle Creek Road plans from 6 to 8 tonight at the Teacher Administrative Center, 3215 Cuming St.The third option contained in the study is to make no changes to Saddle Creek Road.
More OWH Images:
[/img]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Am I the only one who thinks this is a HUGE waste of money?  Okay, the road floods one or twice a year, for 10 or 15 minutes.  Big whoop, hundreds of roads around Phoenix do the same thing every time they get a monsoon rain.  People just learn not to drive in low spots in heavy rains.  Why drive dozens of businesses out of an area that needs every job there is?  Or leave other businesses that have invested lots of money high and dry, like the QT on Leavenworth, for instance, that would be suddenly located facing a strip of parkland?  It would kill their business.  Or all the brand new or newly remodeled restaurants on the north side of Dodge St. (one of which is still under construction)?  Here comes Big Brother!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

This project could really create a sweet amenity for the UNMC campus expansion potential. At least better than looking at a car wash and steel plant.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I call BS!

Property owners put out by road shift

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10188538
The Burger King at 4460 Dodge St. has undergone a three-month renovation and is expected to reopen Tuesday. A representative of Simmonds Restaurant Management says the company didn't know until last week that its property could be lost.
Simmonds at it again, first the ballpark, now UNMC?

I know from a VERY RELIABLE inside source the BK (Simmonds) has known about this for years....  I think we should start calling Simmonds anti-Omaha
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That's too bad.  If he knew about this a year ago, I highly doubt he would've done the renovations.

Edit: for grammar
Last edited by adam186 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

The "when in doubt resort to slander and libel" strategy is not a good one especially when a business is involved. In fact, it is so bad I would strongly recommend editing your post and toning it down.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't see any reason we should lose the historical Dodge Street bridge over Saddle Creek.  I'm pretty sure they're not planning on widening Dodge Street as part of this project, so why couldn't the old bridge be kept as the bridge, or ONE of the bridges, over the new drainage chute/creek???
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't see any reason we should lose the historical Dodge Street bridge over Saddle Creek.
Is that being discussed?  From skimming the articles and looking at the renderings, I thought it was safe.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't see any reason we should lose the historical Dodge Street bridge over Saddle Creek.  I'm pretty sure they're not planning on widening Dodge Street as part of this project, so why couldn't the old bridge be kept as the bridge, or ONE of the bridges, over the new drainage chute/creek???
Isn't this "historical" bridge the same one that one of the state's lowest scores on the bridge inspections that were publicized after the Minnesota bridge collapse?  I'm all for historical, but when it comes to me safely driving over it, I'd generally prefer new and modern  :;): , especially if they're going to spend $40 mil on moving the street below....
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Those involved with the study, he said, also are aware that the existing Dodge Street bridge over Saddle Creek is on the historic registry. That bridge, which dates to 1934, would be replaced under both options to move Saddle Creek. A new bridge would be needed to span both a new Saddle Creek Road and a drainage chute.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know its an old bridge, but its not very architecturally significant.  To use your work streets, its Disneyland architecture.  Its  cast concrete with stone on it.  Kind of like you see in the new suburban subdivisions.

If it can stay cool, if not, I know they can re-create it.  As long as they don't throw up some run of the mill bridge.

As far as slander... what I said was the truth.  Simmonds knew about the move years ago.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Aren't public figures not protected from slander?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I was more talking about him being anti-Omaha, Brad.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I think you're stretching on the slander/libel, there.

It's not like he called him a pedophile.  "Anti-Omaha" is no different than calling him "inconsiderate".  It's an opinion, and not harmful.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:Its  cast concrete with stone on it.  Kind of like you see in the new suburban subdivisions.
I guess the main difference would be that it actually uses real stone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:Its  cast concrete with stone on it.  Kind of like you see in the new suburban subdivisions.
I guess the main difference would be that it actually uses real stone.
True, but they could use real stone on the new bridge.  You are not a big fan of the http://www.culturedstone.com/ on buildings  :;):
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Brad -

There is a difference between architectural, structural, and cultural significance.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't see any reason we should lose the historical Dodge Street bridge over Saddle Creek.  I'm pretty sure they're not planning on widening Dodge Street as part of this project, so why couldn't the old bridge be kept as the bridge, or ONE of the bridges, over the new drainage chute/creek???
The old bridge has to go away because it doesn't have the span to bridge over the new Saddle Creek, which has two lanes in each direction, a center median, two bike lanes within the roadway, and sidewalks on both sides... not to mention the new greenway element. Sure, the bridge has some historical significance, but so did Jobber's Canyon. The bridge has served us well for this long, but it is going to be lost to progress.

Burger King knew about the project long ago, they decided to remodel now so they wouldn't be held to the new Omaha by Design standards at a later point in time. They will make their money back on the investment before this potential road project ever comes to fruition.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Historic Omaha wrote:Brad -

There is a difference between architectural, structural, and cultural significance.
Understood, however does it meet any of these?  I like the bridge, but I also can imagine what it could be.  I also don't understand why, if they move Saddle creek to the west and turn the current road back to a creek, why can the bridge not span the creek?  The creek is smaller than the road.

Historic Omaha -
I know we have gone rounds in the past.  I do want you to know, I do think saving important things of the past is good, I just don't see the saving some structures like a little old bridge to make way for a great development, when we get rid of cool old structures like the o street bridge in the stock yards or tearing down a great old downtown tower for an awful looking 3 story brick state building.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Reading this I was thought "wow can you imagine what Dodge street traffic is going to be like for months when they have to tear that down and rebuild it."    :shock:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^I'd hope they build the new bridge adjacent to the older one.  No closures, but some interruptions.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Harpoon wrote:
The old bridge has to go away because it doesn't have the span to bridge over the new Saddle Creek, which has two lanes in each direction, a center median, two bike lanes within the roadway, and sidewalks on both sides... not to mention the new greenway element. Sure, the bridge has some historical significance, but so did Jobber's Canyon. The bridge has served us well for this long, but it is going to be lost to progress.

Burger King knew about the project long ago, they decided to remodel now so they wouldn't be held to the new Omaha by Design standards at a later point in time. They will make their money back on the investment before this potential road project ever comes to fruition.
Go back and look at the plan.

Since Saddle Creek is getting moved west, there will need to be two spans; one over the chute, and one over Saddle Creek.  What I'm saying is, why can't the current bridge be preserved as the bridge over the chute?

Anyway, it's not like it's particularly aesthetic, but it is historical and a neat example of old bridges in this area.  

I'd be OK with losing the bridge as long as its replacements were quality, and I think they would be.

If the spans are anything like this proposal, I'd love it!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

so do they need to tear down the 1875 Grist Mill?  Since we are talking about saving old structures what about that one.  I think it can be saved if they would just be a bit creative......and yes it is worth saving.  Look at it closer and I think you will agree.
I'll have to try and get a photo of it if someone doesn't already have one.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

midtown charlie wrote:so do they need to tear down the 1875 Grist Mill?  Since we are talking about saving old structures what about that one.  I think it can be saved if they would just be a bit creative......and yes it is worth saving.  Look at it closer and I think you will agree.
I'll have to try and get a photo of it if someone doesn't already have one.
If they can save it, save it, however I watch too much Modern Marvels, Mega Movers, Extreme Machines, Discovery Channel, etc.  They can move any building with in reason.  If they can't save the mill in its current location, they could certainly move it!

Unless there is a plan to Widen Dodge street that I have not seen, I do not know why they are worried about the bridge or the building next to it.  Saddle creek is moving west to where the Bank and BK are.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

According to the paper it is to be torn down along with nearly 50 other structures.  In it's present shape it is indeed an eyesore.  Take off the vinyl siding and voila you may just have a nice brick building behind there.  I would think it would make a great bar or restaurant overlooking the new lake or Saddle Creek.  Imagine a nice large deck suspended over the creek.  Not to mention that at 132 years old it has to be one of the older structures left in Omaha.  Parking issues would need to be resolved but hey surely it could be solved.