Nebraska Medicine

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exciting 10 year plan!!!

Of course, it's terribly boring to just keep putting up clones of the Durham research tower. But of course I love new tower construction, regardless.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNMC to present 2006-2015 Facilities Development Plan
UNMC Today wrote:UNMC leaders presented that vision for developing the campus infrastructure today to the University of Nebraska Board of Regents. The regents will vote on the overall goals and planning concepts of the plan, not specific projects. The board will approve individual construction projects as they develop.

To accommodate continued growth, UNMC leaders presented a new planning model that allows the 112-acre campus in midtown Omaha to remain compact, connected and walkable, while expanding in research, clinical care and academics. As new buildings rise on the campus periphery or are redeveloped, UNMC will create distinct zones for research, clinical care and academic education.

The plan outlines a clearly identifiable academic campus area from 42nd Street on the west to 38th Avenue on the east and from Emile Street and Jones Street on the south to Dewey Avenue on the north. The research area would continue to expand on two tracts of land: the southwestern edge of the campus on land currently owned by the Omaha Public Power District and on the west side of Saddle Creek Road, where UNMC owns property.

As a result of that study, 42nd Street is being converted to a three-lane section to calm traffic and permit left turns at Leavenworth Streets. Results are expected within a year on a feasibility study to determine whether to relocate Saddle Creek Road. The study also will investigate changes to the Saddle Creek Road and Dodge Street intersection. The study, done jointly by UNMC and the City of Omaha, will address the possibility of relocating Saddle Creek to the west to improve campus access and divert pass through traffic, enlarge the contiguous campus area and stimulate campus area redevelopment.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Exciting 10 year plan!!!

Of course, it's terribly boring to just keep putting up clones of the Durham research tower. But of course I love new tower construction, regardless.
Ya, it's boring but look on the brightside...it's not clones of Kiewit. :lol:

The uniformity of the building will cut the costs, they're just cutting corners. If they weren't so good for Omaha as a whole, I'd be a little patterbed (word?). Oh well, they're nice towers so I can't complain.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They should put a sky-walk from the current research tower over the water to the new towers to the north west.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

"The Area" Sunday 9-10-2006

Not in the area, but legendary omaha bars:

Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

ahh.. good memories there. I lived the first few years of my life a block off Leavenworth around 42nd. Some of that stuff is the first stuff I remember.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

adam186 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Exciting 10 year plan!!!

Ya, it's boring but look on the brightside...it's not clones of Kiewit. :lol:

The uniformity of the building will cut the costs, they're just cutting corners. If they weren't so good for Omaha as a whole, I'd be a little patterbed (word?).
Did you mean perturbed?

As far as the towers being the same desgin, I think four towers of the same design will look better than two.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Regents approve feasibility study for Saddle Creek Road
UNMC Today wrote:The University of Nebraska Board of Regents Friday approved a proposed agreement with the City of Omaha to conduct a feasibility study for the relocation of Saddle Creek Road on the western edge of the UNMC campus. The board also approved the selection of HDR Engineering, Inc., as the engineering consultant that will conduct the study.

The feasibility study will be done along with other city transportation studies that are investigating ways to improve traffic flow and economic opportunities for midtown Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to the news, the city council discusses the "move" next week.
johnnyc
New to the Neighborhood

Post by johnnyc »

Here's the story I did on it. This was when the City Council approved the transfer of funds to do the study... which will create three different plans for that area.

http://www.ketv.com/news/10098991/detail.html

I'm pretty sure it will be done... in some manner. It's less of a creek than a little lake.

JohnnyC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great story JC! I don't know if I could stand on SC Rd with traffice buzzing by me like that.
I wish we could post KMTV videos on this site. What would that take?
It was a Windows Movie Video? Admin?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I believe the reason no one has moved forward with the now vacant Target site is because they don't know what if anything will happen with saddle creek
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[center]Windows Media Player now installed? Cool. Let's try it out.

[wmp]http://mfile.akamai.com/12910/wmv/vod.i ... 7.200k.asx[/wmp][/center]
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Construction of the second research tower is going strong.  I was shocked how much they had done considering that just started recently.  Expect a second tower crane at UNMC
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Work on the second research tower is moving along.

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Not the greatest shot but here is one. I'll get some better ones soon.

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

look to the south from the bank of the west branch at saddle creek/farnam.  someday this will be part of the lake?

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ah - my old parking lot. Yes - this will be a lake someday.
The second tower up there is well under way. I need to take pictures.
Hopefully there will be other buildings along this lake in the near future.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was going to mention that the tower crane is being constructed, which is partially visible behind DRC in the above pictures.  

UNMC will have TWO TOWER CRANES on campus for TWO DIFFERENT projects on opposite ends of the campus.  Phenomenal.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Pictures Josh^

From Today, look in the first Pic TWO TOWER CRANES!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

3 TOWER CRANES!

I just left UNMC and they are putting up the THIRD tower Crane, its right on Emily Street next to the second tower crane.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

what no pic?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:what no pic?
I didn't bring my camera, but have some running around to do this afternoon so I might snap it then.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I found time to get back down there:

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

SWEET! They must be planning on hauling some butt on this one. It is Hawkins after all.  :;):
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

website w/ some info on this project.

http://www.hdrprojects.com/engineering/ ... tionStudy/

possible looks for saddle creek/dodge intersection from the website.

[img=left]http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9943 ... eekgn3.jpg[/img]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

One from last night:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Starting today they have a beam that students, faculty, staff are signing which will be the last beam placed on the center on a May 30th ceremony. They are moving along with this project.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

I am surprised that more people haven't thought about the fate of the Commercial Federal bank Building in the path of one of the proposals.  The building was built in 1963 (3ish stories, sculptural, white with blue/teal mosaic banding & parabolic/hyperbolic drive-thrus).  The building has been recently been purchased by the University Foundation for...demolition???

People now wonder what was going through the minds of Omahans when the old Post Office and Jobbers Canyons were torn down.  although this building may not be fully appreciated now, my guess is that peoples views of history/tastes/aesthetics change over time.  In 20-30 people might wonder why buildings built during the 50s and 60s were torn down.

In the same vicinity is the Omaha Plating Co. complex.  What will be the fate of these early 20th C. industrial buildings once the road is related closer to them?  Will they be torn down for a big box strip mall complex with plenty of parking?

In addition to the two above, is a building at 4524 Farnam (directly north of the Omaha Plating complex) and the historic Dodge Street bridge that crosses Saddle Creek Rd.  The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Did anyone actually go to the feasibility meeting?  I wasn't able to make it.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

20 - 30 years

sorry
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I certainly agree.

I've always admired the mosaic tiles on that old ComFed.  In fact, if/when it's torn down (and I hope it's not), I would hope to "salvage" some of it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNMC cuts a deal for OPPD land

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2399980
The landlocked University of Nebraska Medical Center is set to acquire its single biggest piece of property in the past 30 years.

UNMC is making a deal for the Omaha Public Power District's 10 acres adjacent to campus for the construction of two research towers and parking.

The OPPD property is near the intersection of Emile Street and Saddle Creek Road on the southwest edge of the UNMC campus. The land is home to a service center that dispatches OPPD crews.

In exchange for the OPPD land and buildings, UNMC intends to purchase a 10.5-acre tract near Eppley Airfield and turn it over to OPPD, said Don Leuenberger, a UNMC vice chancellor. The medical center also will pay to build an OPPD facility there.

UNMC's cost for the land near the airport, the new OPPD building and parking is estimated at $13 million to $14 million.

The acquisition by the medical center is another example of its major expansion efforts. UNMC has announced interest in getting Saddle Creek Road relocated west to allow for expansion and has bought small parcels west of campus.
Sounds like the deal Creighton gave modern equipment.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Great news for UNMC's expansion plans. Build those research towers! :)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a couple update tower 2 pics from yesterday.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Pics the1wags.  That tower is really moving along.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's an update shot from yesterday showing the student center and the skywalk across 42nd street.

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

CFB 'bathtub' building
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

also a look at the Child Saving Institute. I wonder if that new playground will become the new saddle creek rd?
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I certainly agree.

I've always admired the mosaic tiles on that old ComFed.  In fact, if/when it's torn down (and I hope it's not), I would hope to "salvage" some of it.
I would love to see that building along with the child saving institute overlook a new pond/lake in that area.  I wish they would restore the building to restore its polish.  That style of architecture is worth saving but it isn't of the type that looks good worn down.  It needs to look fresh and well kept.