Nebraska Medicine

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Nebraska Medicine

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo Update:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice shots. But what stands out for me is how much the Munroe-Meyer Institue is now a sitting duck for development!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Nice shots. But what stands out for me is how much the Munroe-Meyer Institue is now a sitting duck for development!
If that is the building north of the cancer center....I completely agree.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

I don't have my own fancy helicopter, but I can stand on the roof of a parking garage...

(link to imgur)
Last edited by nebraska on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebraska wrote:I don't have my own fancy helicopter, but I can stand on the roof of a parking garage...
Ha, I wish I had a helicopter. Just paid Heartland Helicopter to fly me around.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iEXCEL getting close? Planning board mention about UNMC redevelopment NE of 42nd and Leavenworth.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

As of last Friday, they still had not found out if they would be getting federal money for a 4th floor on it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Med Center keeps chugging along.

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/health/ ... 0f2d5.html
The city would pay $10.7 million toward the expected $102 million cost of the university’s Global Center for Advanced Interprofessional Learning in a proposal presented to the Omaha Planning Board.

The board voted 6-0, with no questions or debate, to recommend that the City Council approve the proposal.

The center would house the iEXCEL Program. That’s short for the Interprofessional Experiential Center for Enduring Learning.

The facility would, among other things, offer health care training, education and research with cutting-edge simulation technology.

It would be built at 42nd and Emile Streets on the UNMC campus. The center would connect via skywalks to the university’s Michael F. Sorrel Center for Health Science Education and the Lauritzen Outpatient Center.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

This more detailed sim center would offer a good resource for first responders (both employed and volunteer) to get training in advanced life support and trauma support. The center would also offer people a good location for communication drills and other less intense things that require practice at different levels. For example, the back up communication system using amateur radio needs practice on sites, but also needs more practice in terms of handling complex and foreign terms. If we had a place were we could simulate an event and have comms travel from room A to room B, this practice need could be met without rolling Ham Radios out all over Omaha.

Down side of advanced sim centers is that several locations (Stanford, for one) have found that nurses trained in 3D sim centers did no better in real world codes that nurses trained in conventional systems.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Isn't this the second project that Omaha has kick in millions for at the med center? Was the cancer center the other one? I'm not necessarily against this, but it seems to be a new trend.

Greg
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Has the iEXCEL restaurant been rotated in the newest renderings?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:Med Center keeps chugging along.

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/health/ ... 0f2d5.html
The city would pay $10.7 million toward the expected $102 million cost of the university’s Global Center for Advanced Interprofessional Learning in a proposal presented to the Omaha Planning Board.

The board voted 6-0, with no questions or debate, to recommend that the City Council approve the proposal.

The center would house the iEXCEL Program. That’s short for the Interprofessional Experiential Center for Enduring Learning.

The facility would, among other things, offer health care training, education and research with cutting-edge simulation technology.

It would be built at 42nd and Emile Streets on the UNMC campus. The center would connect via skywalks to the university’s Michael F. Sorrel Center for Health Science Education and the Lauritzen Outpatient Center.

Just gonna wait for the public backlash.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Isn't this the second project that Omaha has kick in millions for at the med center? Was the cancer center the other one? I'm not necessarily against this, but it seems to be a new trend.

Greg
The article said that some of the private donors wanted the city to get involved. Also about half what the city is chipping in is going to redo the Saddle Creek and Leavenworth intersection.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

In the most recent planning board minutes, they approved the vacation of many streets on the UNMC campus. For those with more knowledge of urban planning lingo, what does this mean?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Taco wrote:In the most recent planning board minutes, they approved the vacation of many streets on the UNMC campus. For those with more knowledge of urban planning lingo, what does this mean?
They get a nice trip to Cancun!

But seriously I'm pretty sure that means they are going to close and tear them out. Which streets are they?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Taco wrote:In the most recent planning board minutes, they approved the vacation of many streets on the UNMC campus. For those with more knowledge of urban planning lingo, what does this mean?
But seriously I'm pretty sure that means they are going to close and tear them out. Which streets are they?
That would be a lot of streets. Here's a direct quote:

"Vacation of Emile Street from the east rightof-way line of Saddle Creek Road to the west right-of-way line of 42nd Street, 45th Street from the north right-of-way line of Emile Street to the north right-of-way line of Dewey Avenue, including the traffic circle, Dewey Avenue from the west right-of-way line of 45th Street to the east right-of-way line of 44th Street, and 44th Street from the south right-of-way line of Dewey Avenue to the south right-of-way line of Farnam Street."
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Taco wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:

"Vacation of Emile Street from the east rightof-way line of Saddle Creek Road to the west right-of-way line of 42nd Street, 45th Street from the north right-of-way line of Emile Street to the north right-of-way line of Dewey Avenue, including the traffic circle, Dewey Avenue from the west right-of-way line of 45th Street to the east right-of-way line of 44th Street, and 44th Street from the south right-of-way line of Dewey Avenue to the south right-of-way line of Farnam Street."
Sounds like this is something to give the property to the surrounding property owners. So it seems like UNMC just wants to take over the streets but not necessarily tear them out.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/pw/index.php ... nformation
The City has a particular process for vacating a right of way and change/releasing easements for property within the zoning jurisdiction of the City of Omaha. The Omaha Municipal Code addresses the Vacation of a Right of Way in Sec. 26-45 and Easements in Sec. 27-1.
Vacation Authority

Sec. 26-45. - Vacation of streets generally.

The city is authorized to vacate or narrow any street, highway, main thoroughfare, controlled access facility, connecting link, boulevard, major traffic street, or alley upon petition of the owners of 75 percent of the taxable frontage feet abutting upon such street or alley proposed to be vacated and asking for such vacation, or the city, for purposes of construction of a controlled access highway, or to conform to a master plan of the city, may, without petition having been filed therefore, vacate any street or alley or any part thereof in the city.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Taco wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:

Sounds like this is something to give the property to the surrounding property owners. So it seems like UNMC just wants to take over the streets but not necessarily tear them out.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/pw/index.php ... nformation
The City has a particular process for vacating a right of way and change/releasing easements for property within the zoning jurisdiction of the City of Omaha. The Omaha Municipal Code addresses the Vacation of a Right of Way in Sec. 26-45 and Easements in Sec. 27-1.
Vacation Authority

Sec. 26-45. - Vacation of streets generally.

The city is authorized to vacate or narrow any street, highway, main thoroughfare, controlled access facility, connecting link, boulevard, major traffic street, or alley upon petition of the owners of 75 percent of the taxable frontage feet abutting upon such street or alley proposed to be vacated and asking for such vacation, or the city, for purposes of construction of a controlled access highway, or to conform to a master plan of the city, may, without petition having been filed therefore, vacate any street or alley or any part thereof in the city.
This doesn't mean they will tear them out - though it doesn't mean they will keep them either. Creighton did this and now you have their "malls." We can probably assume Emile street will remain in some capacity - as it's the major thoroughfare.

The others is the 45th - Dewey - 44th cut through of campus. This isn't a major thoroughfare and also presents traffic hazards between people walking on campus, notably from the research buildings. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed the street and put a "mall" in like Creighton did.

Vacating just gives UNMC the chance to, using their own money, do whatever they want in terms of satisfying their master plan.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

This doesn't mean they will tear them out - though it doesn't mean they will keep them either. Creighton did this and now you have their "malls." We can probably assume Emile street will remain in some capacity - as it's the major thoroughfare.

The others is the 45th - Dewey - 44th cut through of campus. This isn't a major thoroughfare and also presents traffic hazards between people walking on campus, notably from the research buildings. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed the street and put a "mall" in like Creighton did.

Vacating just gives UNMC the chance to, using their own money, do whatever they want in terms of satisfying their master plan.
It would surprise me if they turned 45th between Emile and Dewey into a pedestrian mall. Someone has already poured new concrete for a road between Emile and the entrance of the patients parking garage.

There is an existing skywalk over 45th between the Cancer Center and Durham Tower 1. I can imagine there will be a pedestrian right of way crossing on 45th, same as on 42 between Witson hall and Sorrell Center.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

In the near future they are wanting to take over 44th street from farnam to Dewey for future ER expansion. Farther out, Dewey north of the cancer center and 45th street (all the streets except Farnam that surround JP lord and/Monroe Meyer will most likely be removed.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

A lot of the construction stuff has been removed from street level and the new street is coming along.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I have a feeling that UNMC will continue to have explosive growth along Saddle Creek Rd. I'm glad they are expanding as quickly as they are, it shows Omaha and even Nebraska is becoming a big player in the Medical field's. My hope is that this construction continue's and continues to make UNMC a world class Hospital that it is! I heard that they are applying for a Federal grant for a EBOLA training center at one of there new construction projects ( Global Center for Advanced Inter-professional Learning center) if they do get the federal funds it could make the building 4-5 stories tall! I'm thinking this is pretty a good bet that we might get the grant over other Medical facilities simply due to the fact that they successfully treated 3 Ebola patients! Though Emory I think treated 1 more then UNMC but still it's pretty amazing that UNMC was able to help during that crisis and had no major issues while doing it!

Here is the New's article I'm talking about!

http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/u ... 57201.html
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Less seen side, the CL Werner wing
Werner.jpg
Werner.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

NebMed continues destruction on the west side. These two pictures are circled in red on this map.

AmericanBank.jpg
AmericanBank.jpg (126.89 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
somebuilding.jpg
somebuilding.jpg (150.69 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
And lest we forget, the Lauritzen Outpatient Center. This building is expected to start occupancy maybe November.
Lauritzen.jpg
Lauritzen.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Outpatient Center was looking nice this morning:
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Do you see kids, the difference a good camera and years of experience makes?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebraska wrote:NebMed continues destruction on the west side. These two pictures are circled in red on this map.
I believe that will be the new American National branch.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebraska wrote:Do you see kids, the difference a good camera and years of experience makes?
I appreciate all kinds of photo updates!
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Heard that the UNMC hotel that was going to be built on 42/Farnam will now be built on 42/Leavenworth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MSizlack wrote:Heard that the UNMC hotel that was going to be built on 42/Farnam will now be built on 42/Leavenworth.
Where the old car dealership is?

In other news, the temporary helicopter landing pad has been turned back in to a parking lot.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

This is where the 80' glass tower will go, in that new roundabout. (larger:

hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

UNMC's helipad at Farnam and Saddle Creek is back to being a parking lot.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

hatwate wrote:UNMC's helipad at Farnam and Saddle Creek is back to being a parking lot.
That happened a couple months ago.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MSizlack wrote:Heard that the UNMC hotel that was going to be built on 42/Farnam will now be built on 42/Leavenworth.
They dropped plans for the 42nd and Farnam hotel but did mention exploring a different site.

UNMC drops plans for new hotel at 42nd and Farnam
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The spot along Farnam between 42nd and 44th Streets turned out to be too tricky or costly to tackle.

“There were too many engineering challenges,” said Deb Thomas, vice chancellor for business and finance at UNMC. As earlier proposed, a seven-story hotel was to rise east of the Clarkson Doctors Building South, on land used as a surface parking lot, an odd curved street and an empty bank branch.

Ken Hansen, associate vice chancellor of campus facilities for UNMC and Nebraska Medicine, said the medical center still wants a hotel built on campus to serve growing needs.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

There is a good chance the hotel, which will be a full-service Marriott, will be built at what most would consider a surprising location. The Med Center and Tetrad are seriously interested in carving the hotel into the side of a hill immediately northwest of the new Cancer Center. It would go right up to Saddlecreek Road. The Med Center wants the Marriott to be connected via skywalk to the cancer center. When I first heard this from my source (an executive at the Med Center), I was somewhat skeptical about the feasibility, but after walking the site, I actually think it would work just fine.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

So, 1.5 blocks south of the Home2 hotel, and in front of the 80' glass sculpture? There is a small MUD building on Saddle Creek. I assume that's important.

MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

nebraska wrote:So, 1.5 blocks south of the Home2 hotel, and in front of the 80' glass sculpture? There is a small MUD building on Saddle Creek. I assume that's important.

Yep, that's the exact spot. Interesting, huh?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadJack wrote:There is a good chance the hotel, which will be a full-service Marriott, will be built at what most would consider a surprising location. The Med Center and Tetrad are seriously interested in carving the hotel into the side of a hill immediately northwest of the new Cancer Center. It would go right up to Saddlecreek Road. The Med Center wants the Marriott to be connected via skywalk to the cancer center. When I first heard this from my source (an executive at the Med Center), I was somewhat skeptical about the feasibility, but after walking the site, I actually think it would work just fine.

That's better than the original plan (maybe not for the Hilton, though). If the hotel is meant to be for the cancer patients and their families, plus visiting physicians, then a hotel with a skywalk connected to the cancer center is ideal. Why battle the elements?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Chihuli

15-17, 26, 32
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

http://www.omaha.com/money/charlie-grah ... 94f4a.html
In store for midtown Omaha’s 42nd and Leavenworth Streets: a major makeover.

The shift would wipe out an art deco-style auto shop that’s been a fixture on the intersection’s northwest corner for five decades. A replacement is to rise on a diagonal corner.

That opens the way for the University of Nebraska Medical Center to create a “grand” southern entrance to its expanding campus, most likely a green space with some identifying flair.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.