Nebraska Medicine

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Re: Nebraska Medicine

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Lillian Bean wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/charlie-grah ... 94f4a.html
In store for midtown Omaha’s 42nd and Leavenworth Streets: a major makeover.

The shift would wipe out an art deco-style auto shop that’s been a fixture on the intersection’s northwest corner for five decades. A replacement is to rise on a diagonal corner.

That opens the way for the University of Nebraska Medical Center to create a “grand” southern entrance to its expanding campus, most likely a green space with some identifying flair.
So their grand entrance is a yard with a sign? :what:
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

At a meeting with a neighborhood assn. last night a UNMC representative said the area around Saddle Creek Rd west of UNMC will be redeveloped into taxable mixed-use buildings. This would include the Omaha Steel property and would be a development similar to Midtown Crossing. Saddle Creek Road won't be changed but they hope to solve the flooding issues at Dodge and Saddle Creek. A private developer will be sought.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good news to hear....lets hope it turns out similar to Midtown Crossing.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Look out Texas medical center. That makes me think we should unofficially dub ours Omaha medical center. Jk

15-17, 26, 32
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

hatwate wrote:At a meeting with a neighborhood assn. last night a UNMC representative said the area around Saddle Creek Rd west of UNMC will be redeveloped into taxable mixed-use buildings. This would include the Omaha Steel property and would be a development similar to Midtown Crossing. Saddle Creek Road won't be changed but they hope to solve the flooding issues at Dodge and Saddle Creek. A private developer will be sought.
They also hoped to have that land cleaned up by December.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

UNMC awarded $19.8 million to develop national training center for fighting Ebola, other infectious diseases
Joseph Morton / World-Herald Bureau wrote:The University of Nebraska Medical Center announced Friday that it has been awarded $19.8 million in federal funds to develop a new training, simulation and quarantine center.

“This is both a tremendous opportunity and responsibility, and I know our medical center will rise to the challenge,” UNMC Chancellor Jeffrey Gold said Friday in a press release.

The new training center will have its own floor in UNMC’s already-planned $102 million Global Center for Advanced Interprofessional Learning — a 183,742-square-foot facility that will be at the southeast corner of 42nd and Emile Streets. Construction on the overall facility is set to begin soon and be completed by September 2018.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNMC is tearing down the old Kiewit Construction site. They already own the parking to its north. Anyone know what they are up to here?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I remember seeing something in past planning board notes about it being a office building for the regents. You wouldn't think they'd need that much space though...
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I can't find the news article but I think they r building some kind of a central sterilization plant for instruments.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here we are. Thanks.

NU's plan: Build center at 40th and Pacific to sterilize medical gear
Christopher Burbach - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Huston said UNMC officials had planned to use the site for parking but plans changed. He said the new building would be one story tall and about 35,000 square feet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm sure we reported this already, but I just talked to Mary Barrett of Barleycorn's and she has said that the Med Center was getting call from all over inquiring about Charlie Graham's, but they will keep the facade and turn it into a clinic. They also own the plot across the street that got torn down after the accident and will keep it a park.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Here we go. The proposals are coming in to develop the land west of Saddle Creek. Two local, Tetrad and Noddle; and one from Denver.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'm hoping for more MTC than AV.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:Here we go. The proposals are coming in to develop the land west of Saddle Creek. Two local, Tetrad and Noddle; and one from Denver.
Where can we go to see these proposals? Or are they publicly available yet?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:
choke wrote:Here we go. The proposals are coming in to develop the land west of Saddle Creek. Two local, Tetrad and Noddle; and one from Denver.
Where can we go to see these proposals? Or are they publicly available yet?
I think RFPs went out and only these three showed interest. I don't think we have anything in concrete yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But here are the plans for the iExcel/Global Center for Advanced Interprofessional Learning/National Center for Health Security and Biopreparedness, or what is going in the building SE of 42nd and Emile.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.16 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.86 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

With all that stuff under one roof that's kind of a small building especially for UNMC's standards.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The outpatient building opened this week.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:The outpatient building opened this week.
I drove by last night and it was all lit up. I know one of the doctors I've seen recently is moving in there from the Durham Outpatient Center. I wonder if they'll remodel it after that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I talked with Dr Debehnke today and he said the Chihuly exhibit should be arriving next week. He was able to go to visit Chihuly's Museum to keep abreast of its development. He said that Chihuly is really excited about this project since he has always wanted to build a church.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

"Church"?
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

NE Medicine continues to be a bright spot for Omaha:

Per Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer:
Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center partnering with hospital in China
http://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/h ... f65ea.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-area-s ... d0068.html
a 550-room hotel near the Nebraska Medical Center
That is much larger than previous mentions isn't it?
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-area-s ... d0068.html
Where is it going? I can't imagine it will fit on the space at Saddle Creek & Dodge.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Hopefully it will look more like the old downtown Marriott proposal and less like the Hilton. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I forgot to mention that in my conversation with Dr Debehnke the other day I asked about the J.P.Lord and Munroe-Meyer Institute. JP Lord has been relocated and the Munroe-Meyer is so out of date, so he mentioned a 550 room building which I have been trying to remember what he then said. I asked about the old Midtown bank building and that still is a no go, I asked about buying the land from Don & Millie's and he said they have not considered that as a viable option....

So the next 550 room Hotel for Nebraska Medicine looks like a replacement for the Munroe-Meyer lot.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Is that a typo or a misunderstanding? Do they mean 550 rooms in total around the Med Center area? A single hotel that size would almost be double the downtown Hilton.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Hilton Omaha is 600 rooms.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

skinzfan23 wrote:The Hilton Omaha is 600 rooms.

I guess I didn't realize the Hilton was 600 rooms. Anyhow, I asked the journalist of the article about the 550 rooms and he wrote:
When the 42nd and Dodge site was dropped, the Med Center people said they still want a hotel [sic] of that size near the medical complex but didn't have a location yet. So there isn't a place selected, just the expressed need for such a hotel.
Steve Jordon
The World-Herald
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

choke wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:The Hilton Omaha is 600 rooms.

I guess I didn't realize the Hilton was 600 rooms. Anyhow, I asked the journalist of the article about the 550 rooms and he wrote:
When the 42nd and Dodge site was dropped, the Med Center people said they still want a hotel [sic] of that size near the medical complex but didn't have a location yet. So there isn't a place selected, just the expressed need for such a hotel.
Steve Jordon
The World-Herald
The Hilton was originally 450 rooms until they expanded it into The Great Wall of Hilton, so you weren't completely wrong.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Coyote wrote:I forgot to mention that in my conversation with Dr Debehnke the other day I asked about the J.P.Lord and Munroe-Meyer Institute. JP Lord has been relocated and the Munroe-Meyer is so out of date, so he mentioned a 550 room building which I have been trying to remember what he then said. I asked about the old Midtown bank building and that still is a no go, I asked about buying the land from Don & Millie's and he said they have not considered that as a viable option....

So the next 550 room Hotel for Nebraska Medicine looks like a replacement for the Munroe-Meyer lot.
I wonder if the hotel will go across Saddle Creek if they are going to develop all that land. I would think they would keep the Munroe-Meyer space for a medical/healthcare/medical school building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Or build the hotel and surround it with medical..
15-17, 26, 32
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

As of about 10 days ago, I was told no decision on location has been made. The land that JP is on wont be vacated for over a year, the MMI even longer, and they really want the hotel to be started before then. The JP and MMI land is being considered mostly for clinical purposes (patient care/research). I wouldnt rule out the NW corner of this property however... Also locations are 42/Leavenworth, east of the north doctors building and the most likely, west side of saddle creek.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadJack wrote:There is a good chance the hotel, which will be a full-service Marriott, will be built at what most would consider a surprising location. The Med Center and Tetrad are seriously interested in carving the hotel into the side of a hill immediately northwest of the new Cancer Center. It would go right up to Saddlecreek Road. The Med Center wants the Marriott to be connected via skywalk to the cancer center. When I first heard this from my source (an executive at the Med Center), I was somewhat skeptical about the feasibility, but after walking the site, I actually think it would work just fine.
So, is this still a possibility?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I simply don't believe this. That would have to be a huge convention hotel.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

choke wrote:
MadJack wrote:There is a good chance the hotel, which will be a full-service Marriott, will be built at what most would consider a surprising location. The Med Center and Tetrad are seriously interested in carving the hotel into the side of a hill immediately northwest of the new Cancer Center. It would go right up to Saddlecreek Road. The Med Center wants the Marriott to be connected via skywalk to the cancer center. When I first heard this from my source (an executive at the Med Center), I was somewhat skeptical about the feasibility, but after walking the site, I actually think it would work just fine.
I believe it's still in the running although I first heard of this option a few months ago. The source was one of UNMC's vice chancellors. That person did say other sites were under consideration but that a lot of key people wanted this site because of the incredible proximity to the new cancer center. The big concern with this site is that it is incredibly tight on space and they would have to deal with a dramatic grade change.
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

MadJack wrote:
choke wrote:
I believe it's still in the running although I first heard of this option a few months ago. The source was one of UNMC's vice chancellors. That person did say other sites were under consideration but that a lot of key people wanted this site because of the incredible proximity to the new cancer center. The big concern with this site is that it is incredibly tight on space and they would have to deal with a dramatic grade change.
My wife and I just bought a house on Farnam that backs up to this space, so I'm quite invested in what's going up there!

It is indeed a steep drop from the northwest corner of the property to the part that fronts Saddle Creek. Do you think it's feasible at all to eliminate the grade change as part of the terraforming currently underway? Maybe that's too expensive or not even possible.

I'm pulling for mixed-use all the way.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The emergency department will be getting an expansion:

Nebraska Medicine to expand med center's emergency department
Julie Anderson / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Nebraska Medicine announced plans Wednesday to begin an expansion in January of the Nebraska Medical Center’s emergency department.
The expansion is intended to accommodate an anticipated increase in patient volume, officials said. The current emergency department, which opened in late 2005, was built to handle about 60,000 patients a year. The department is expected to surpass that number by the end of 2016, and an analysis projects it can expect an additional 4,000 to 10,000 annual patient visits in the future. The expansion will provide space to allow staff to manage an additional 10,000 patients a year.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does anyone have a list of the metro's trauma centers and what level each one is and what the levels even mean?
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:Does anyone have a list of the metro's trauma centers and what level each one is and what the levels even mean?
http://www.amtrauma.org/?page=traumalevels

Nebraska Medicine and soon Bergan are level I trauma centers, I believe other hospital in Omaha is a level II. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride