Name for the CU soccer field

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Name for the CU soccer field

Post by jays25ks »

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a better name for the new soccer stadium than Creighton University Soccer Stadium? The current name really isn't too creative at all.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Good question to which I don't have the answer.

I do have a crummy quality picture of the entrance under construction...

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here is a few from inside:

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Those are great Coyote... hey... I'm going to have to get a mugshot of you and designate you a contributing photographer before long!

Folks should note the Tip Top Building in the background of the 5th photo.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

wow nice shots guys!
The ones from the inside are amazing this stadium is so cool. I'm not much of a soccer fan but I will deffinately check out the stadium when it is completed.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Coyote, awesome photos!! It's great to get the perspective from the inside. And just think, the area around the stadium will soon enough be a bustling urban neighborhood, blended seemlessly with CU and Downtown. It will be impossible for anyone to go to a game at this stadium and NOT be impressed with the city. I mean look at the skyline view!! And you can see Central High up on Capitol Hill...breathtaking.

I agree with Jays25k. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but you can bet I'll make it to a few games!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And I love the entrance. It's so stately and beautiful. Creighton is doing a remarkable job with their new construction, making it fit in with its surroundings and also hint at old world collegiate charm. I'm very proud of what the university is doing right now!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Speaking of Central... anyone who has driven by will have noticed that the football stadium construction has been underway for some time now.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Rock on Coyote! Those photos are excellent!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Wow, what a backdrop for a stadium. And grass doesn't get any greener than that unless radiation is involved.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

That would be this high tech Amsterdam(ian?) ArenaGrass (the first stadium to use it in the US). Lord knows... they've left no 'natural grass' untouched in Amsterdam. :)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jhuston wrote:... they've left no 'natural grass' untouched in Amsterdam. :)
SHHHH...Trade secret!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks all, I just happened by and saw cars parked out front so I took my camera for a walk.
Creighton soccer is great (not just because I am a Creighton grad),
just a few years ago they made it to the National Chamionship game.

The field and the east stands have the field turf but to the north and south of the goals they have real grass.
If you sit in the north stands beware of flying soccer balls.

And for the skyline, notice the Omaha Building just peaking into view.
Brad
City Council

OKEEF

Post by Brad »

I did notice the tip top building and have seen your information about it, what about the OKEEF building right next to it?
omarunner
New to the Neighborhood

Soccer name

Post by omarunner »

It'll be called the "Rev. Michael G. Morrison, S.J. Soccer Field", per the wishes of the primary benefactor.

Fr. Morrison was the longest serving president in the history of Creighton. He retired from the presidency in 2000.

There will be a dedication ceremony on October 15.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Personally I am very glad that they are naming the Creighton Soccer Complex after Morrison. Often I saw him sitting in the square eating an apple and very approachable for any student who wanted to just say hello, ask a question or bend his ear and give him a bit of advice. Not the typical University President. He was named President I think around 1981 - so that was almost 20 years of service.

This stadium is going to be so cool. I hope it too can attract many events to the Omaha area!
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

I find it ironic that the athletic department's crowning jewel is being named after a president who wasn't exactly friendly to athletics.
omarunner
New to the Neighborhood

Fr. Morrison & Athletics

Post by omarunner »

What? Fr. Morrison was unfriendly to athletics? By what measurement?

Bruce Rasmussen was promoted to AD under Morrison.

Coach Dana Altman was hired under Fr. Morrison.

Coach Bob Warming was hired under Fr. Morrison...the first time.

Coach Connie Yering was hired under Fr. Morrison.

Coach Jim Flannery was hired under Fr. Morrison.

What is the single common thread in this string of overachieving hirings? The leadership of Fr. Morrison in directing and supporting Rasmussen.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

Its pretty widely accepted that Schlegel is much more athletically motivated than Morrison. Morrison had nothing or very little to do with the hires that occurred during his tenure. That's the AD's job. I believe the soccer stadium, baseball field renovations, and plans for the new baseball stadium were all started by Schlegel.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Schlegel has also been much more active in terms of campus aesthetics, campus improvements and campus expansion. I am glad to see this as I think it will help in recruitment (students as well as athletes) and image.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

So what does everyone think of Creighton... once the soccer stadium is behind it... turning it's attention to a joint Royals-Bluejays baseball stadium downtown. Something providing a more cozy setting for the typical Royals crowd (Perhaps 10-12,000 seats... marquee games, like the 'fireworks night' could be scheduled at Rosenblatt... which I believe the CWS/UNL-Creighton rivalry/outdoor concerts/etc... would easily sustain).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think that sounds like exactly what should happen, Jeff.

Also, I took a bunch of photos at Creighton over the weekend, some showing the stadium. I'll try to upload and post them tonight.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

And the new housing appears to be nearly fully occupied with the semesters new students... I believe those light posts are part of a much larger campus wide improvement plan (along with public seating/sign posts/etc).

http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/creighton/1/

I also got a little better lighting for the entrance of the stadium...

http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/74/
Brad
City Council

baseball stadium

Post by Brad »

So In the past I summited my Idea for a stadium but you all said we like Rosenblatt the best, now once again I see talk about a downtown stadium. If there is not room where the downtown skyline could be in the outdield, how about this. A stadium along the river where home runs go in to the river like at San Francisco and the river trail can go between the river and the outfield fence so people walking by can look in to the field.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

My only contention was that we not try to replace the venue for the CWS. Rosenblatt should remain... and will have plenty of demand for these marquee games/events beyond the CWS. I am completely in favor of building a separate... much smaller, more appropriately sized park which both Creighton and the Royals could benefit from. I'm not sure where along the riverfront however... we can fit one which would let the boaters fight over Pickering home run balls. :) Are we going to displace Freedom Park? Miller's Landing?
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Yea guys when scraper refered to the new baseball stadium he was talking about the one that was in creighton's redevelopment plan.
Image as you can see the plan has a baseball stadium north of the soccer field in the plan but it probaly won't happen for several years. The old stadium would be replaced with new student housing and greenspace.
http://www.creighton.edu/President/Speeches/125.html
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Here are some new Creighton photos I took last weekend.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho ... adid=51886
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Wow those photos are amazing!
There looks like there has been a lot finished in Morrison Field! With the addition of the seats and the scoreboard. It is comming along nicely!
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Just noticed the seats today and thought "Wow, that is awesome, just like Old Tafford."

Will the screen on the scoreboard have live footage and replays?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Great photos. I have always thought that the stadium seating made this look like a European stadium, but the boxes might change that a little. I couldn't help but get a rush of pride when seeing the "Creighton" seats. What a great environment this will be come soccer season. This project is really on a fast track, I can't wait to see the finished entrance. I think Father Schlegel is doing a great job of improving the aesthetics of campus. The expansion and improvements on the east side of campus are providing cohesion with the rest of campus. When I went to Creighton the law school seemed so far away! I also appreciate the new art and statues around the campus. As I mentioned in another post, Creighton has added 17 statutes around campus this summer with more to come. Being in DC, I was vary curious about these additions, so thanks for capturing some in your photos.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I must admit, I'm very jealous of Creighton.

While it's a good school, Drake University in DSM doesn't build like Creighton has.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've never been to Drake, but I'd like to see it someday.

Which reminds me. I've been meaning to make a trip to DM for quite a while now. It would be really fun if some of you guys would like to meet there someday. But if anything, I'll let you know if I ever plan on going, Ryan, and maybe we can get together and do a little touring.

Has anyone heard any rumers of the state soccer tournament being moved to Creighton's new facility when it's done? That would be really cool.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

I wouldn't be suprised to see omaha land it as soon as central stadium is completed. I think it should but probably won't bc of the lincoln loyaltys and the fact that its in dto and western nebraskans would be too scared to go down there bc its bad :evil:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

western nebraskans would be too scared to go down there bc its bad
Someone listens to Todd N Tyler
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Just read in the paper that 2005 and 2006 state tourneys will be back in Omaha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Good. Now we can go after the state wrestling and basketball championships.

You don't have to listen to T-n-T to hear about out state fear of Omaha. Hopefully when people come they will have their opinions changed about the big, bad city.
DTO
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Why wouldn't they use Central stadium as a site as well? I mean that way they could be held within a few blocks of eachother and not on opposite sides of town.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Very good point, jays. That seems like a really good idea given that Central is also going to have a VERY nice new football/soccer/track facility right downtown, with amazing views to boot.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Sounds great... but you guys are kidding right? You don't honestly think the state of Nebraska is going to move the football playoffs from THAT stadium in Lincoln do you?