Name for the CU soccer field

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

were not talking about football, it will never leave memorial stadium unless nebraska moves to a new stadium. we were talking about the nsaa using both central stadium and creighton stadium to host the soccer tourney. I just thought that this would make more sense than holding the same tourney on two opposite sides of town.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Oh duh... I see what you're saying... Westside and Burke were vying for the other locations..huh. I have little doubt that they'll discover Central's new venue shortly following it's completion.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

jays25ks wrote:the fact that its in dto and western nebraskans would be too scared to go down there bc its bad :evil:
You mean the same Western Nebraskans who go to Denver for shopping and entertainment on a regular basis?

Look, I'm all for Omaha hosting as many state events as possible, but let's not kid ourselves about the reasons many "outstate" Nebraskans prefer Lincoln, okay?
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Why are those reasons again? Oh right because the beloved huskers play there.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

All I'm saying is, why marginalize a group of people and write them off as being "scared" of downtown Omaha? They aren't. The main issues are familiarity with Lincoln (yes due to the Huskers), easy access to DT Lincoln (as it is on the western end of the city) and two hours (roundtrip) less travel time.

These are all very good reasons for Western Nebraskans to prefer Lincoln. When Omahans understand this, it will be easier for them to compete for such events. Marginalizations do nothing but put the city in a greater hole than it already is with "outstate".
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

jays25ks wrote:Why are those reasons again? Oh right because the beloved huskers play there.
Perhaps it could be the Huskers. But also, how many chances will most high school kids get to play in an 80,000 capacity stadium? Whether its full or not the view and ambience is spectacular. When I'd get on the field for marching band practice it always brought a big smile to my face. Edsas has a very valid point as well- its easy to find DT Lincoln and the stadium. If it was reversed, I'd rather drive to North Platte for such an event over Scottsbluff.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It would also be cool to play in the home arena of a very dominant basketball team. Creighton may not have as much sway as UNL but our arena is the nicest in ever state we touch. (Except maybe the Pepsi Center in Denver.) I think once the younger people competing in th sports see the Q they will want to get out of Lincoln. It's not hard to find the Q since the interstate goes right to the front door. It's only a 60 mile differance from the Capitol building to FNC. They could also make an event of going to Omaha. I think the next time we bid we will get it.
DTO
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Why does everyone think I want the football championship, your right I do want the championship in an 80k rather than UNO. But i mean comon, the Qwest blows the freakin devany center away! It needs to be at the QC rather than that crappy devany center.