UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: UNO Campus Update

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:How much would that garage even be seen above the elevation change? That is a massive hill.
I think for the few houses on the north end of 66th St before it reaches Pacific, they are going to lose their view of the trees and the grass lot. However, I am sure that the garage will include some landscaping as well. Unless the property owners want to purchase the land from UNO, I doubt their say means anything at this point.

I think the garage and student housing being close to 67th St will be great for the area. It will make it even more pedestrian friendly.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After watching that video and seeing the power lines in the Video and Rendering, I don't think its going to be that close to their house.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Happened to be reading the lastest post and news of the UNO arena naming 'Baxter Arena' came in as a breaking news item: http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/uno-s-n ... 6c769.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

hatwate wrote:Happened to be reading the lastest post and news of the UNO arena naming 'Baxter Arena' came in as a breaking news item: http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/uno-s-n ... 6c769.html
Not really breaking to eomahaforums readers... http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=320
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

I didn't get any notifications from that topic. I thought I was on it but will re-subscribe.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Wow, that garage will be quite a substantial addition to the area. Glad to see the density of AK Village and UNO continue to increase and the emphasis taken away from surface parking. Too bad for the neighbors, but nobody has a guarantee there won't ever be changes or development to adjacent properties, unless they buy the air rights or property itself, or negotiate easements.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The new apartments and parking garage look like a good fit to the neighborhood. If you tried to keep every neighbor happy next to every project, you'd rarely build anything.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Some of the details:

434 beds, 330 suite style 104 "traditional"
Net gain of 661 parking stalls off street and 8 on street
14K SF academic center 9K SF conference center addition
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a good deal all around. UNO needs parking. The hillside will serve to conceal the garage from the east side. Plus the garage isn't half bad in design, and is going up in an area not being utilized for anything right now. And the new dorm building looks nice. It will fit in well with the surrounding buildings. And it will add vibrancy to the entire Aksarben Village area.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Solar panels on a parking garage? Yes please!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Always a little late for the World Herald:

UNO plans $67 million in new housing and campus parking
The University of Nebraska at Omaha plans to add housing for 434 students and erect a 1,265-stall parking garage on its Pacific Street campus.
The projects will increase UNO’s on-campus student housing capacity to more than 2,500, continuing its transformation from a commuter campus into one that is more residential.

The plans have yet to go before the NU Board of Regents for approval. That could happen June 12.
The student residences and academic center would cost about $32 million, and the parking garage about $35 million, said Bill Conley, UNO’s vice chancellor for business and finance.

He said the university hopes to have the student housing completed and open by August 2017. The parking garage should be done before then, Conley said.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Good news for UNO there. How many housing units will they have on campus after this is done, anyone know?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Good news for UNO there. How many housing units will they have on campus after this is done, anyone know?
Check the second sentence of the quote.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Good news for UNO there. How many housing units will they have on campus after this is done, anyone know?
Check the second sentence of the quote.
Whoops! Haha. Thanks.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sprucing up the area around the bell tower.

mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

iamjacobm wrote:How much would that garage even be seen above the elevation change? That is a massive hill.
My response to the residents, is WHO CARES! Look at those Power Lines! Those hurt property values more than the parking garage that they'll barely see. That hill is massive.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

In answer to the question about the number of “UNITS” on the UNO students on Campus:

First the universities like to give numbers in terms of “students” rather than “housing units”. This can make the totals rather challenging to find as they are often misquoted as Units rather than Students leading to inflated totals.

This is my count for both campuses at UNO in terms of both Students and Units. I hope I got it correct.

The proposed addition at 6450 Pine St calls for adding about 108 units serving 434 Students.

The Multifamily map is getting quite large and takes time to load it is at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
Attachments
UNO Count.jpg
UNO Count.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
Last edited by U R my Helix on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Thank you for the numbers!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Nothing new since 2012, lame.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF for the new student housing in front of the planning board.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The apartment style housing is great, but they really should put in a couple of highrise, traditional dorms, start fully shedding the commuter campus image.

My son is moving from University Village to Scott Village this year. He did get into Scott Hall, but then decided he'd rather cook food himself, save some money (about $3000/yr extra for the unlimited dining which accompanies Scott Hall).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Stargazer wrote:The apartment style housing is great, but they really should put in a couple of highrise, traditional dorms, start fully shedding the commuter campus image.

My son is moving from University Village to Scott Village this year. He did get into Scott Hall, but then decided he'd rather cook food himself, save some money (about $3000/yr extra for the unlimited dining which accompanies Scott Hall).
I'm glad to hear your son could save some money. I lived on campus in 1999 and it's interesting to me that they cost of food hasn't changed much..I think it was $2,500 back then.

I agree that UNO would benefit from a couple high rises but I think the apartment style dorm is here to stay. I can't imagine why anyone would sacrifice their privacy to stay in a traditional dorm.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just saw an article about on campus housing at the University of Iowa, which has over 31,000 students. They just opened their first new residence hall in nearly 50 years and can now house 6,545. With UNO having space for 2,606 after the new building is complete, I think they aren't that far off, especially considering UNO is more of a commuter campus.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Small point but Is UNO still a commuter campus? I vote no.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just saw an article about on campus housing at the University of Iowa, which has over 31,000 students. They just opened their first new residence hall in nearly 50 years and can now house 6,545. With UNO having space for 2,606 after the new building is complete, I think they aren't that far off, especially considering UNO is more of a commuter campus.

If UNO succeeded I'd bet they could grow to 30k easy.
15-17, 26, 32
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

UNO is still definitely a commuter campus. The vast majority of students live off campus. Unlike Iowa, UNL and others, there is very little affordable housing within walkable distance to campus so students must live farther away and drive. Just look at how much of their campus is composed of parking lots and how parking is still a huge issue to students.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I went to UNO about 4 years ago, and out of the people I knew, I would say about 7/10 were commuters, including myself. Parking was absolutely ridiculous there. You would pay 90$/semester and still wouldn't have a guaranteed promise of parking availability.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

skinzfan23 wrote:Just saw an article about on campus housing at the University of Iowa, which has over 31,000 students. They just opened their first new residence hall in nearly 50 years and can now house 6,545. With UNO having space for 2,606 after the new building is complete, I think they aren't that far off, especially considering UNO is more of a commuter campus.
The University of Iowa is opening two new dorms one this year for 500 students and one opening in 2 years for 2000 students. Both are traditional dorms and not apartment style housing although the new dorms have pods of rooms that share private bathrooms.

Peterson Hall housing 500 students

Madison Street Residence Hall housing 2000 students - opening in 2017
Last edited by Joe_Sovereign on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Personally I preferred the traditional style to what I saw of the suite style or apartment style options. There is a lot stronger social aspect in community style dorms.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Garrett wrote:Personally I preferred the traditional style to what I saw of the suite style or apartment style options. There is a lot stronger social aspect in community style dorms.
Even though I never liked the traditional style dorms, I do agree that there is a stronger social aspect.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I didn't know they put new seats in at Caniglia.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Those look nice. (no longer red anymore)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those do look good! The "Out of bounds" area on the new volleyball court is black as well. I think they have eliminated just about all the red from the Athletic department.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Those do look good! The "Out of bounds" area on the new volleyball court is black as well. I think they have eliminated just about all the red from the Athletic department.
Does that mean the budget as well?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Brad wrote:Those do look good! The "Out of bounds" area on the new volleyball court is black as well. I think they have eliminated just about all the red from the Athletic department.
Does that mean the budget as well?
I can't remember for sure, but I believe they were back in the black for a year or two, but then they spent some money this year finishing the D1 conversion.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like the dorms proposed for the site of the old bleachers is actually in the pipeline. Those would e a cool place to have with some balconies overlooking the field.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I haven't been to UNO's soccer stadium since they got rid of the football program. I wonder if those sideline covers (similar to bus stops) are permanent.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

skinzfan23 wrote:I wonder if those sideline covers (similar to bus stops) are permanent.
They do look pretty comical!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I wonder if those sideline covers (similar to bus stops) are permanent.
They do look pretty comical!
Quick search on google, "soccer bench shelters" look fairly common. Quality looks all over the map, looks like UNO has a nice shelters. Looks like they have portable shelters (tents) that you can get for your team and take to your local field...

Seems odd, but I guess its no different than a dugout.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NU enrollment grows about 1%, but officials say there's still work to do
Enrollment in the University of Nebraska system grew by about 500 students to 51,323 this year. The Omaha campus saw the biggest gain year over year, and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is the biggest it has ever been. UNO grew by about 2 percent, with particularly strong growth in the freshman class at 8.6 percent. Overall, UNO grew by 299 students. UNL hit an all-time high enrollment at 25,260. UNO, which enrolled 15,526 students this fall, is aiming to reach 20,000 students by 2020.