UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

UNO's business college to get bigger building

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10348617
The three-story building on UNO's south campus will be 120,000 square feet. Scheduled to open in August 2010, it will house all business programs and feature laboratories where students can study real estate, statistics and the stock market.

The fundraising goal for the project is $38.5 million, with officials hoping to designate $7.5 million for the college's endowment. Private donations will fund construction.
Not sure where exactly this building is going, but it looks very nice.  I rode my bike through south campus and did not see anything that looked like there was some sort of ground breaking ceremony
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

It will sit on 67th and Pine St
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Hopefully it isn't another great looking building surrounded by an awful looking parking lot.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

After visiting friends at the UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute (PKI), I took this photo of the
Aksarben Village from the PKI's third floor southeast corner window.

Left to right across the middle of photos is the up and coming building of  Aksarben Village
> Broadmoor Apartment
> Parking Garage
> Office building (facing 67 street)

Below, The lawn in front of the white & yellow construction trailer is the site of the new UNO's CBA building - Mammel Hall

Rendering of this building and another site photo are online at:  
http://www.unomaha.edu/building/cba/index.php
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm pretty sure there is a dedicated Aksarben Village thread.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha, in my post above, I should have mentioned the white & yellow construction trailers on the site of the future CBA building - Mammel Hall first.  The new building would be one of the UNO building close to the Aksarben Village.

I initially took the photo for the Official: Aksarben Village thread:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1956

When I was posting this photo on the Aksarban Village thread, I decided to poat this photo here because of the construction trailers next to PKI parking lot.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO to seek design proposals for athletics complex

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10416482
KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The University of Nebraska at Omaha plans to seek design proposals for an athletics complex on land the university owns south of Center Street.

At the Sept. 5 NU Board of Regents meeting, UNO officials will ask for permission to seek design ideas from engineers and architects.

The University Life Complex would consist of baseball, softball and soccer fields, said William Conley, UNO's vice chancellor for business and finance.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

I have not been on the UNO South Campus for several months.  I have heard from a friend, dirt has been moved around the site of the future CBA building - Mammel Hall.

Yesterday, while looking for information on the remodeling of the Old Engineering Building for College of Public Affairs and Community Service (CPAC), I found a webpage showing Building Rendering, Floor plans & Elevation of the new College of Business Administration building  

Front Entrance Rendering at N.W. Corner of 67th & Pine Street

And from Above

Aerial Rendering looking S.E

Site Plan – Peter Kiewit Institute is above / north of New Building.

1st Floor

Inside the North South looking West.

Addition Rendering & plans can be viewed at

Does anyone have current photo of the building site?
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

looking at the plans (I attend UNO), from being in the current COB Roskins Hall, this building does not seem to have many classrooms in it.  I've heard rumors that the college of business is moving to the new building (and if this is true, I don't believe there is enough room), and the Education Department is going to take over Roskins Hall, while the Arts & Sciences are also expanding into the current Keyser Hall (Education).  Not sure if this will happen, but it has been talked about.[/left]
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

mcarch, you are correct.  CBA will move into Mammel Hall with Education moving into Roskens Hall and Arts and Science spilling into Keyser Hall.  I have seen many of the plans on paper and there shouldn't be any problem with having enough classroom space.  One thing to keep in mind is that there are more than just business classes currently held in Rosken's Hall.  I would estimate that as many as 1/4 of the classes are from Arts & Sciences.  Don't quote me on that percentage, but I have worked in CBA's IT department for four years and the number is significant.  Mammel Hall realistically doesn't need as many classroom spaces assuming that it will just be CBA classes taking place.  (Not to say that there aren't equally as many if we were to look at the full layout in more detail.)

For even more details, check out this website: http://cba.unomaha.edu/mammel_hall/
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa!  How have I missed this.  The design looks pretty good, and I'm glad to see a more substantial, dense, street/pedestrian oriented building on South Campus, starting to fill in the lots down there.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Yesterday morning, while visiting my friends at UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute (PKI), I took these
picture of new College of Business Administration building - Mammel Hall construction
from PKI's third floor southeast corner window. Aksarben Village is behind the CBA building.

Over all view of site

The Crane

Close up of one of two west wing cores tower

Street level view of the cores tower from 67th Street with Scott business & Technology Development
Center And Travel and Transport tower in the background

The south cores tower on Pine Street., Looking Northwest.

More on Mammel Hall at:
http://cba.unomaha.edu/mammel_hall/

Construction Webcam:
http://cba.unomaha.edu/mammel_hall/cc.cfm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There not wasting any time!
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

a lot of progress has been made on the HPER building on main campus. someone should try to get some shots of it!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

JPenny wrote:a lot of progress has been made on the HPER building on main campus. someone should try to get some shots of it!
I have thought about it every time I am down there.  However it is usually so busy around there, I don't want o be in the way.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

haha i know. it causes me problems everyday when im heading to class.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Today, I drove west pass AK-Sar-Ben Campus on Pacific Street, looked down 67th Street.  I noticed the steel beams starting to go up on the new CBA Building, Mammel Hall.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Steel rising. Two updates from yesterday.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I think this building will bring a lot of life to south campus that it currently doesn't have.  There are a lot of people who never go to south campus except people who live there and PKI students.  It will be nice to be a more pedestrian area rather than a massive parking lot.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Yesterday, Before visiting my friends at UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute (PKI).I took a walk around the new CBA building - Mammel Hall.

View from KGI

View from Hill across 67th Street

Similar view on other side of 67th Street

67th View of the curved West Wing

From 67th & Pine

Curved Steel work. It will be left side sent entry Atrium

View of UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute South End

West end Stair Tower

View of the West end from across Pine Street

The End of the West Wing

Scott Hall can seen the Construction of the North Wing  

Another view of the West Wing from First Data’s Parking Lot

This is the view of Mammel Hall steel frame from the PKI's third floor
southeast corner window.  Soon, This view of the Aksarben Village west
side will be gone when Mammel Hall is completed.  
-
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

That is quite the structure.  Seeing the size of that makes me again wonder if there is enough room for UNO expansion over the next 20 years?
where the corn meets the concrete
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely. They have plenty of parking lots they could consolidate in to structures (hopefully w/ mixed uses), and they can start building denser.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm posting from UNO's Library.

This is my first time back on campus in over six months, possibly a year...

I was stunned by the progress of construction on the HPER facility (Health, Physical Education, and Recreation)!!! The additions to the existing building appear complete or nearly so, and the difference is night and day! The view of the HUGE gym and swimming building from Elmwood Park, which formerly featured vast, uninterrupted, windowless brick walls, is completely changed. Large window bay extensions break up the monotony and ad a multitude of interest where none existed before.

Also, it appears that steal erection is almost complete on the HUGE expansion on the west side of the facility.

It's pretty remarkable how fast construction is moving. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

Combine this with South Campus construction and Aksarben Village and you see that UNO is on a rapid upswing.

I wonder if the Main/South Campus shuttle service will be extended to Aksarben Village. I think this makes a TON of sense, since many students will be living down there, not to mention park and ride opportunities.

Very exciting times for UNO and the Aksarben/Elmwood/Memorial Park neighborhoods.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm posting from UNO's Library.
Did you bring your camera?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Unfortunately, no.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

South Campus Photo Update.  The tree is up, done erecting steel.

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I like you shots, what does the tree symbolize?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

windsor wrote:I like you shots, what does the tree symbolize?
I don't know if there is a certain significance, but I know that every time they put up the last beam in a "topping out ceremony" all the steel workers sign the last beam and put a tree on it as they hoist it up to the top.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

IIRC, the tree symbolizes no injuries/deaths
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

almighty_tuna wrote:IIRC, the tree symbolizes no injuries/deaths
Well then I am glad that I see those all the time on construction sites in this city.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

From my understanding (and Wikipedia's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out) the tree is an old Scandinavian religious ritual so they don't make the nature gods mad about the trees they just cut down.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

They have actually started applying brick to the end portions of the building that will have a brick exterior.  Definitely moving along on this project.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Are you talking about Mammel Hall?

They sure do seem to be moving right along.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 8/31/2009

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I wish that UNO's south campus had less suburban style parking.  Thanks for the update.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

windsor wrote:I wish that UNO's south campus had less suburban style parking.  Thanks for the update.
Well, this type of campus development is exactly what you want to see, then :). And there should be lots more to come.

This new building, with its urban orientation toward the street, really makes PKI look like a storage warehouse or something.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
windsor wrote:I wish that UNO's south campus had less suburban style parking.  Thanks for the update.
Well, this type of campus development is exactly what you want to see, then :). And there should be lots more to come.

This new building, with its urban orientation toward the street, really makes PKI look like a storage warehouse or something.
I do not quite understand your comment StreetsOfOmaha?  While the building is next tot he street, there is still six miles of parking between the two UNO buildings down there.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's being built on former parking lots. Therefor, it's exactly the type of development you want to see. Furthermore, knowing that this is the type of development UNO is actively pursuing these days, your wish "that UNO's south campus had less suburban style parking" is coming true.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Someone should get some pictures of the HPER renovation up on north campus its a HUGE addition. I also heard they are renovating Roskens Hall and it should be finished by fall 2011...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The new Mammel Hall on UNO's south campus is receiving cladding. The 11 bus runs right past it, and I saw it the other day while riding it. I didn't have a chance to get my camera out in time.