UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

but remember, Omaha isn't the money school.

They don't have the Huskers, they aren't D-I in basketball...etc

The first move to getting the university to be better is to get more/more realistic housing.

Not this privatized housing bull.

UNO has plenty room to grow, we could buy houses...the land....etc.

The campus really does fit in niceley, like, it's in a bubble.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

ModestMouse wrote:but remember, Omaha isn't the money school.

They don't have the Huskers, they aren't D-I in basketball...etc

The first move to getting the university to be better is to get more/more realistic housing.

Not this privatized housing bull.

UNO has plenty room to grow, we could buy houses...the land....etc.

The campus really does fit in niceley, like, it's in a bubble.
The problem is that this scares the board of regents down in lincoln so they will drag their feet on issues like housing in hopes that they can stay the flagship school in the state. I can't wait until the day when UNO can say that they are the flagship school. But sadly, it will never get the respect needed because they don't have the huskers and to Joe hick out in near Funk, nebraska, UNL will always be the university becasue they have the huskers. Its sad but true.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

No one ever said life was fair, but the day UNO overtakes UNL I will break down and cry with joy.
15-17, 26, 32
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

IT's sad when the state cuts funding and forces UNO to close it's tutoring center.

The school was on the rise.

It still kinda is, but I don't think it'll see any significant growth until they get housing, well, anymore significant growth.

Rember, it was only 6-8 years ago when the college's average age was 25

Now it's 20.

That's a feat, the college is on the cusp of being a really great school, damnit, Screw UNL, UNO is where it is at.
bguy81
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bguy81 »

Seems like I remember reading an article (Jan 2007) in the World-Herald about this project getting approved.  Any more news on this?
joeycheeto
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joeycheeto »

UNL is the flagship university in the system because they are the main research university in the undergraduate system.  UNO has a significantly smaller research core.  Even if UNO has a greater number of students, the "Flagship" status is based on the research quality and quantity of the University, not the football team.  UNO is an excellent university, but it doesn't have the infrastructure, nor the faculty, required to be a Class Ia Research University, such as UNL.
drew89
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drew89 »

I think the first step to UNO getting bigger than UNL would be to move all sports up to D1 and houses i think that the MAvericks would be a very successful school.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

joeycheeto wrote:UNL is the flagship university in the system because they are the main research university in the undergraduate system.  UNO has a significantly smaller research core.  Even if UNO has a greater number of students, the "Flagship" status is based on the research quality and quantity of the University, not the football team.  UNO is an excellent university, but it doesn't have the infrastructure, nor the faculty, required to be a Class Ia Research University, such as UNL.
And UNL and its good 'ol boys on the NU board of regents have fought to keep it that way.

Which is why I really wish UNO wasn't a part of that university system.  I don't see why we can't have independent state universities.  They would still share state funds (obviously, and probably MORE equitably), but UNO would have the freedom to grow into the university it's been trying to become for years, in spite of UNL and the board of good 'ol boys.

I don't mean to sound so cynical (if I do...), I just think the state university system, like state politics, is too Lincoln-centric.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
bguy81
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bguy81 »

construction is underway in the SW corner of main campus.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

While we all agree the UNO dorms (they desperately need) are a great asset to improving the university, I hope before UNO "surpasses" UNL , people stop calling it "the high school on the hill" , and that UNO's average ACT of 22 rises above UNL's 25.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

nebport5 wrote:While we all agree the UNO dorms (they desperately need) are a great asset to improving the university, I hope before UNO "surpasses" UNL , people stop calling it "the high school on the hill" , and that UNO's average ACT of 22 rises above UNL's 25.
just have jeff's kid go there...a 36 works wonders for averages.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

well i dont know what you have heard, but i have never heard UNO called high school on the hill.  I also dont know if UNO has an average ACT of 22, but I am at PKI and most students there have a 30 or greater. n In my experience, UNO is a great school, but then again I am rarely ever on main campus.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omahastylee459 wrote:well i dont know what you have heard, but i have never heard UNO called high school on the hill.
While I have not either heard of UNO being called the high school on the hill - it was in the late 70's called West Dodge High (even though it was not actually on "West" Dodge) and known also as the University pf No Opportunity. However - that was when UNO was practically a 'commuter college' and before major reinvestment happened and UNO and UNMC has become a 'threat' to the status of UNL in some Regents minds.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

UNL raised it's composite score practically overnight (matching Iowa State's) by increasing the minimum scores required by a number of it's colleges.  Of course it's attendance dropped off... but that has slowly been coming back over the years.  UNO could benefit from doing the same (although as someone alluded... I believe PKI already requires a 26... which as far as I know is the highest minimum score required by any college in the Nebraska system).

UNO stats

UNL stats

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
unlkid
New to the Neighborhood

Post by unlkid »

I went to both schools and I have to say I prefer UNL by far.  It seemed to me that UNO was a bunch of Omaha kids living at home with their parents.  I thought most students were snotty and if you weren't from Omaha it sucked.  The problem is there isn't enough activities for kids to interact in.  UNL can provide the full college experience that UNO can't.  I agree with everyone though. There does need to be more housing on campus.  That would help this problem enormously.  And yes UNO is still a commuter college.  A name change would also help to be recognized on a national scale and not be confused with a card game or the university of New Orleans.  I remember Nebraska State floating around.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, unlkid, I also have gone to both universities, and much prefer Omaha, for a whole host of reasons that we won't get into here so as not to start a pissing match.

Anyway, has anyone seen renderings of these dorms???
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks for your insight unlkid.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I agree that a name change would help UNO, but I think it should stay part of the University of Nebraska system.

I have no suggests on what to call it, though.   :?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

University of Omaha
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I second U of O
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Their new helmets seem to hint that people at the university are thinking the same thing.

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Streets, I don't think you'd be starting a pissing match for stating your preferences, in fact I'm genuinely curious.  While I didn't attend either school, if I had it to do over I'd pick UNL for more of the "real college experience".

I also like the name University of Omaha.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I also went to both schools (as well as San Francisco State) and have most preferred UNO of the three.

Although I highly doubt I would have been able to say that as recent as 5 years ago (one of my brothers graduated from UNO in the late 90's). UNO has changed a lot in a short period of time and seems to have a really encouraging momentum right now.

If you haven't been on campus recently, there is a ton of new construction going on, especially on the west side of campus, which is where I spend all my time.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:Their new helmets seem to hint that people at the university are thinking the same thing.

UNO has done this with most of their sports uniforms, which in my opinion is a tacky ripoff of miami.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I kinda like the new helmet, but I'd say it looks as much like Oregon's design as it does Miami's
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Went to both universities as well.  I LOVED both of them, but returned to Omaha to persue my Real Estate and Land Use Economics Degree which is not offer at UNL.

I'll admit I lived at home while at UNO my first semester, but that was because there were no room in the dorms and the parents wouldn't pay for an apartment.  I'm sure many of the students you are referring to had the same circumstances.  That being said, these dorms will greatly enhance the student lifestyle.  Build them now...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I honestly don't know what they're like... but it appears to me that UNO's 'dorms' are more like on campus apartments.  Is there a cafeteria in each?  Activities area?   Not to speak of common areas on each floor.  Until UNO gets REAL dorms... it just isn't the same.  Maybe some of you prefer that... but it was part of the college experience I really enjoyed.  And while I despised fraternity people... UNO really needs some sort of frat 'row' too.  I can remember getting in a huge snow ball fight between Cather Hall and a number of frat houses located adjacent us... we kicked their |expletive|! (we had something of an advantage in numbers).
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

From what I know of UNO's Dorms... they are like apartments.  4 rooms to each apartment. With 4 apartments on each floor.  I don't believe there are any common spaces inside besides in the apartments (kitchen, living room, and dinette). - at least from the ones that I have seen -
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I think some of the South Campus dorms have cafeterias, but you're right. UNO needs more tradional styled dorms.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree that UNO needs more traditional style dorms, as that can be very much a part of the quintessential "college experience."

However, it almost seems like that ship has sailed and Omaha missed it.  Are there any colleges these days that are building new "dorm-dorms."  It seems like everything these days is "suite style."  And I'm not sure I like that.

I'd like to see a couple of dorm TOWERS on the west side of campus.

And while I think the neighborhood is probably too established and family oriented, many of the homes along Happy Hollow or right by Elmwood park would make for a great Greek neighborhood right by campus.  Not that I would necessarily want that to happen, but just sayin'.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I lived in suite style dorms when I was in school and couldn't imagine living in anything else.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Oh sure you could... suite style dorms with a centrally located beer tap open until 3am.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote:Oh sure you could... suite style dorms with a centrally located beer tap open until 3am.
actually I could have booze in my dorm as long as everyone in my suite was 21  :twisted:  but I like the way you are thinking.
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

I have a few pictures of the construction I'll try and throw up sometime.  

UNO's growing and changing.  The days of being a commuter college are slowly changing.  The kids that do commute but get involved love it.  It's not as easy to get involved living off campus, but it's definitely worth it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Please post them!!!
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

UNO Center St. Campus Development

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Didn't see any threads regarding this development specifically.  Details have not been out much, just that they wanted to build down here.  Saw some of these images a few weeks ago while meeting with the UNO AD, but hadn't seen them on the web yet.

http://www.unomaha.edu/building/center/index.php

Plans call for a baseball, 2 softball, soccer fields in a complex... along with 3 rec/intramural fields. Also a ice hockey practice arena, lots of parking AND 400 "apartment units" and 400 spaces for those.  Great looking stuff.

The whole area from dodge down to the end of this is gonna be a really fun and exciting place soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome.  I like the Maverick running through the brick Wall!

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wow. Go UNO!!!
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

where is uno getting all this money from all of the sudden?  Isn't this the same athletic department that was having major budget problems a year ago?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for finding this! It is awesome! 400 new apartments. An ice complex! And their own Baseball Park!!!