UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

About time they get a ballpark!  As far as the financial aspect, I think if you have the right forward thinkers, you can do a lot more with your money.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Wow, that is really awesome! I'm a little disappointed that it looks to be on land that is now occupied by Chili Greens Golf Course. My dad and I used to golf there all the time. Oh well, this is a much better use for the land I think....although a little far from the main campus.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I will say, those are some D1 caliber facilities...
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

I don't think the funding is secure yet, hence why you haven't seen any big announcements... but this is what they want to do.

It seems a little far from north campus, but I think it will work..  They better get their |expletive| together if they shuttle down to here though, especially with Aksarben Village popping up in between.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

WOW!

I didn't think it was possible... their proposal is even uglier than Haymarket Park
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I will say, those are some D1 caliber facilities...
I'd go with D-1AA, even.   :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
wineomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wineomaha »

The Chili Greens property is secured but the University of Nebraska Foundation recently hired Terry Hanna who was the main guy that put the Cox Classic golf tournament on the map with getting sponsors, fund-raising and so on.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like UNO is already in control:

Future expansion area in plan:

And there is already 1 soccer behind the dome.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for those shots Brad. It does look like UNO is already in control of the area.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Haymarket Park is a great place to watch baseball.

Greg
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Oh...... I thought that thought structures were leftover from the X-files movie
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

thought those... not thought that thought

Apparently I have been hanging out with my buddy George too much
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

http://www.unomaha.edu/building/

link (with photos) of various projects at UNO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I wonder if they're still expecting the parking garage to take until fall, because to me it looks like it's almost done.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

You know, I really like the parking garage.  I think UNO really needs one.  However, its in the WRONG place!!!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Why do you think it is in the wrong place?
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Really the only people who will use it would be the people from the dorms, UNLESS a bus stops there and picks people to where they need to go!!!
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

when it was a surface lot plenty of commuter students parked there and i assume that would continue when the garage is finished. i prefer it to be on the outskirts instead of in the middle of campus. cars can access dodge faster, saves the middle of campus of congestion, and keeps the middle open for more academic buildings.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

You're obviously someone who spends a lot of time in Arts and Sciences Hall.

I spend most of my time in Weber Fine Arts building, which is like 100 feet from this thing. The dorm people, the Weber people, the Durham Science people, the Gerentology people will use it.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I agree, there are countless times where I wish there was a parking garage on this part of campus.  Whenever I am on main campus, I am usually at Durham, which is very near the new parking garage.  If you want to park closer to the east area of campus there is already a parking garage for you there...
OMATOL
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMATOL »

I heard recently that the new parking garage will be for the dorms ONLY! Has anyone else heard this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just saw the garage for the first time over lunch Looks good from Dodge Street.  As far as location, the campus is not that big.  I had classes all over the campus and it was never more than a 5min walk.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Bob
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bob »

Yeah, i am pretty sure this parking garage is only for students living in University and Maverick Village.

And also, i am sure most of you have heard, but just to update this thread:  a week or so ago UNO announced that it will be building a new College Of Business building on South Campus, but they have no renderings out yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bob wrote:Yeah, i am pretty sure this parking garage is only for students living in University and Maverick Village.

And also, i am sure most of you have heard, but just to update this thread:  a week or so ago UNO announced that it will be building a new College Of Business building on South Campus, but they have no renderings out yet.
Thats cool they are building more down south!

I also like the sound of "Maverick Village"!
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Bob & Brad, You guessed it. The new student housing on the east end of the Main/Dodge street Campus is called Maverick Village.  I do not know if the new parking garage is just for student housing and/or for the general student use.   Apparently this four to five story parking garage more than makes up for the parking spaces displaced by the new student housing.

View plans, construction photos & slideshow and 3D walkthrough of the Maverick Village and the parking garage at:
    http://www.unomaha.edu/building/house/index.php
    http://www.unomaha.edu/building/house/house.pdf

Also you can view these and other UNOmaha Construction and renovation projections including the CPACS relocation renovation and HPER renovation & expansions at:
    http://www.unomaha.edu/building/
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

These new dorms are the exact same as the dorms built on South Campus, BORING!  Exact same layout and everything.  How about some variety UNO??
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm extremely underwhelmed by all of this, but still glad to see UNO expanding.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Streets, why are you underwhelmed by the campus improvements?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's just all really mediocre and unimpressive.  What can I say?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I am not sure of what your expectations were, but if you wanted to see blah or third world for that matter all you needed to do was take a class in Engineering. The dorms are definitely basic, but that is what students want. I really think that these improvements will go a long way to keeping metro kids and luring kids from outside the metro and outside the state.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The parking garage is a little generic, but they did a good job with placement. The dorms are alright looking, but they are terribly placed: all staggered and rotated willy-nilly like a freakin' suburban development.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Not a lot you can do to dress up a parking garage, but I agree the placement was good. Does anyone know what is going to be done with Roskens after the CBA moves to South Campus? I had always heard the College of Education was going to move from Kayser to Roskens. Which then I wonder who will get Kayser. I assume it will be taken over by A&S.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

You are correct.  The building will become the new home for Education.  As for Kayser Hall, it will become more adminstrative offices I believe.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

After seeing Earth Day Displays at Elmwood Park last Saturday, I took a short walk on the UNO Main campus between the Liberty and the East side of the student union, I took this shot of the CPACS building relocation renovation

View plans, drawing, and construction photos of this building at:
  http://www.unomaha.edu/building/cpacs/index.php

Note: Photos are temporary off line
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO's parking outlook brightens

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10330262
KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Finding a parking spot at the University of Nebraska at Omaha has long been a battle for students.

But school officials say that's about to change.

With the school's contract with Crossroads Mall renewed and a 900-space parking garage being built, UNO officials say most of the parking pains should be alleviated by this fall.

"There'll finally be places that they can park that haven't been available before," said Paul Kosel, UNO campus security manager.

Julie Totten, interim vice chancellor for business and finance, said UNO has renewed its agreement with Simon Property Group, which owns Crossroads Mall. UNO's lease contract that covered the 2007-08 year ended today.

The deal will cost the university roughly $474,000, or about $3,000 a day.

The agreement, Totten said, covers more than 1,500 spots for the coming academic year.

UNO began leasing parking spaces in Crossroads' parking garage in August 2003, asking students to park there and take a shuttle bus to campus. That parking option became popular, jumping from an average of 800 users a day in 2003 to 1,346 in 2007-08.

From August 2003 until March, UNO paid $1,666 a month for the lease. The mall raised the price to $3,000 a day in March. That increase will mean an extra $1.50 per credit hour in student fees, up to a maximum of $36 per academic year, UNO officials said.
No wonder crossroads is empty... UNO is paying the rent and keeping them open!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:From August 2003 until March, UNO paid $1,666 a month for the lease. The mall raised the price to $3,000 a day in March.
Am I reading that right?  And can it possibly be correct?

Jumping from $1,666 per month to ±$90,000 per month?  Man am I in the wrong business.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:From August 2003 until March, UNO paid $1,666 a month for the lease. The mall raised the price to $3,000 a day in March.
Am I reading that right?  And can it possibly be correct?

Jumping from $1,666 per month to ±$90,000 per month?  Man am I in the wrong business.

-Big E
That's why I said who needs tenants in the mall when UNO is paying the bills for them...
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

What a waste! They should cancel the contract and just tell everyone to park on South Campus and ride the shuttle from there! It takes the same amount of time to ride from South as it does from Crossroads.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree.  I think eventually Aksarben Village will sort of "spill" onto the South Campus (visually), and I envision campus owned parking structures with student services and retail/bookstores/coffee shops on the ground level...  With new garages, it would be very easy to just have all students park on South Campus.  With a well enough operated shuttle service, the main campus could even be turned into a car-free campus.