UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was in the Aksarben Village/South Campus area last week and noticed all the construction of the new student apartments, "Scott Court" or whatever they're called. They look wonderful! They are much more "urban" in style and orientation, in stark contrast to the suburban, placeless Scott Village across the street. I was very pleased!!!

Also, Along Pine Street east of the Keystone Trail all the way to where it turns into 64th Street, the roadway has been narrowed from four lanes of traffic to just TWO with bicycle sharrow markings in both directions!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Scott Court - Maverick Village

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice shots!

These ended up looking really good.  They add an awesome presence to the area, also that covered bike rack is a nice touch.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Much better than the ones across the street!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was checking out UNO's web page and found this: Community Engagement Center

http://www.unomaha.edu/facilities/archi ... nt/CEC.php

Anyone heard anything more on the details of this building (is it still scheduled for construction starting in Oct 2011)

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice find!  That will look so much better than the parking lot does from Dodge street.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Great less parking. Still, at least it looks cool. Iunno though, is it really possible to do that in 3-4 months?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

chaoman45 wrote:Great less parking. Still, at least it looks cool. Iunno though, is it really possible to do that in 3-4 months?
On the page before that it says the completion date is set for December 2012 not January.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This was in the paper earlier this summer, but I haven't seen or heard anything else about it. This would be great infill on campus if it gets built!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to a World Herald article this morning....UNO is still fundraising for this effort and hopes to start construction in the next few years.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111006/N ... 0-in-8-yrs[/b]
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting article about the future of UNO athletic facilities.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120120/N ... -of-dreams

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks good.  Interesting location for the Practice Hockey Rink.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Designed by a Jew, I know it. There's the Star of David on one of the renderings.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

S33 wrote:Designed by a Jew, I know it. There's the Star of David on one of the renderings.
And a great big cross in the other.  Where's the crescent???

Sheesh
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The pep bowl with the cross is actually the star and crescent. :-)

Anyway, there are some great recommendations here. I love that both scenarios feature student housing! Also, the pep bowl amphitheater and grand stair to Elmwood Park are excellent touches.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:I was checking out UNO's web page and found this: Community Engagement Center

http://www.unomaha.edu/facilities/archi ... nt/CEC.php

Anyone heard anything more on the details of this building (is it still scheduled for construction starting in Oct 2011)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121008/N ... 9945/1685#
The campus will break ground later this month on a $24 million Community Engagement Center, to be completed in 2014.

After the 60,000-square-foot facility opens, UNO will play host to a major conference of urban and metropolitan universities focusing on community engagement.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

'Cutting-edge' buildings to transform UNO

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121024/N ... nsform-uno
Leslie Reed WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:With groundbreakings today, UNO launches two highly anticipated construction projects: a $6 million Biomechanics Research Building and a $24 million Community Engagement Center.

Officials say both projects have the potential to transform the University of Nebraska at Omaha — the biomechanics laboratory because it may be the first facility of its kind, and the engagement center because it could expand UNO's growing metropolitan community service mission.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

What a great use for those wasteful parking lots.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

jessep28 wrote:What a great use for those wasteful parking lots.
LOL...  first comment on the actual article page was someone bitching about the parking being removed.
Stable genius.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Yesterday, I drove thru the west side of the UNO Main Campus.  I saw under construction, the north basement/lower lever wall
of the Community Engagement Center, I still can see the base of the bell tower or campanile

Construction is coming along on the Biomechanics Research Building, just east of the HPER building.
I hope to take more photos of both buildings soon.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Steel is a few floors up on the Community Engagement Center.  Here is an updated rendering and a webcam, http://cba.cba.edu/it/concam/
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

It looks like it's made from shipping containers and '90s elementary schools.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New UNO facility dedicated to biomechanics research
KETV wrote:One of the world’s first buildings dedicated to biomechanics research is part of the University of Nebraska-Omaha.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Where on the campus is this new building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy wrote:Where on the campus is this new building?
Behind what would of been the south end zone if there were still a football stadium.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Ok.. good idea to use that space on campus.. After going to school their for years its hard to believe the football stadium isn't used anymore.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:Ok.. good idea to use that space on campus.. After going to school their for years its hard to believe the football stadium isn't used anymore.
... for American football...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A fantastic use of space.  I love how the are positioning the new buildings on the main campus, south campus is another story.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I was up there yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing. It will give north campus a very dense feel which contrasts nicely to the open green space to the south. This building and the other new housing they installed over the past years is definitely changing things for the better IMO.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

And there are plenty of parking lots left to build new facilities on.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Ok.. good idea to use that space on campus.. After going to school their for years its hard to believe the football stadium isn't used anymore.
... for American football...
It's also used for their marching band.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:And there are plenty of parking lots left to build new facilities on.
They either need to drastically upgrade the parking situation on the main campus or drastically upgrade the shuttle system before they knock out too many more parking lots on the main campus.  The shuttles have been extra bad this year.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
jessep28 wrote:And there are plenty of parking lots left to build new facilities on.
They either need to drastically upgrade the parking situation on the main campus or drastically upgrade the shuttle system before they knock out too many more parking lots on the main campus.  The shuttles have been extra bad this year.

I agree with Jacob big time. They need about two more large parking garages before they start going crazy taking away lots.

The next construction will be the open space (pep bowl) right north of the former football stadium.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

I agree with Jacob big time. They need about two more large parking garages before they start going crazy taking away lots.

The next construction will be the open space (pep bowl) right north of the former football stadium.
Of all the things I disliked about UNO, parking was at the top of the list. People would circle the campus like vultures looking for spots and if you were unlucky, you would get in a Mexican Standoff type situation with cars. If you were REALLY unlucky, you would lose that standoff. I don't know where, but they need to find a solution for more on-campus parking and NOT charge nearly 200$ a year to park there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I always parked at Crossroads and took the shuttle.. had to get to there 15 minutes earlier but they dropped me off right in front of Strauss haha.. don't even know why people paid for parking and dealt with the BS involved with it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

guitarguy wrote:I always parked at Crossroads and took the shuttle.. had to get to there 15 minutes earlier but they dropped me off right in front of Strauss haha.. don't even know why people paid for parking and dealt with the BS involved with it.
I had just a parking permit at UNO until a co-worker who dropped out let me use his garage pass for the Spring semester. This was back when the garage on the South side of the Arts & Sciences hall was the only one. After that, I gladly paid the premium for the parking structure until I graduated. Except for maybe the first week, that garage never filled up and I didn't have to worry about parking.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:I always parked at Crossroads and took the shuttle.. had to get to there 15 minutes earlier but they dropped me off right in front of Strauss haha.. don't even know why people paid for parking and dealt with the BS involved with it.
I tried the shuttle once and I didn't like it. My disdain for it was confirmed when Methodist Hospital was remodeling their employee parking garage and we all had to shuttle. I don't know how something so simple could suck that greatly.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Masc ... 49911.html
In 2014, UNO’s Alumni Association is giving students the “Maverick Monument” an 8-foot-high, 1,500-pound bronze bull statue representing the university’s mascot.

The monument will be part of a newly renovated plaza in front of the Lee and Helene Sapp Fieldhouse and the Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) Building on UNO’s Dodge Campus.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well, it's better than installing a bust of that other "maverick", Sarah Palin.  LOL
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nativeomahan wrote:Well, it's better than installing a bust of that other "maverick", Sarah Palin.  LOL

I happen to like her bust.
No posts exist for this topic