UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: UNO Campus Update

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:Awesome photo, thanks Brad! :-)
Thanks Dave
skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks for the photos...I have been meaning to take some for the past week or so but couldn't find a vantage point to get a view of the whole site.
You're welcome. There is a good view from that big lawn closer to pacific where I shot some of the earlier shots from. I was going to wait until a Sunday or after Daylight Savings so its a lot less crowded down there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A couple of quick photo updates:

FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

I'm still of the belief that the new garage looks like a sketch the designer crossed out, then said, "eh, that'll work."
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:I'm still of the belief that the new garage looks like a sketch the designer crossed out, then said, "eh, that'll work."
Actually, the architecture on this garage is cool! It's supposed to be like the Missouri river. In fact, the span of the garage (span from east to west) is supposed to match the span of some segments of the Missouri river.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

frankt wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:I'm still of the belief that the new garage looks like a sketch the designer crossed out, then said, "eh, that'll work."
Actually, the architecture on this garage is cool! It's supposed to be like the Missouri river. In fact, the span of the garage (span from east to west) is supposed to match the span of some segments of the Missouri river.
Yeah... as someone that sees that every day going in and out of PKI, I'm not seeing it. It's a terrible, Eastern Bloc-looking eyesore compared to the green hillside that used to be there. The original renderings with the brick, concrete, and glass fascia and PV panels over the top level was much more appealing and keeping with the design aesthetic for the rest of the university.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At least it not like every other garage in town. I am guessing this will be may be one of 3 that don't look like the other 20 garages build in the last two decades...

In other News:
Broadcast Tower Removal to Impact Campus

https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2017/04/br ... #temporary
UNO wrote:On Monday, May 8, work will begin on the removal of the NET broadcast tower on our Dodge Campus, lasting roughly two to three weeks. During this time, access to certain buildings will be restricted and a perimeter will be in place restricting pedestrian access through the area.
That's going to be one heck of a crane!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
frankt wrote:
Yeah... as someone that sees that every day going in and out of PKI, I'm not seeing it. It's a terrible, Eastern Bloc-looking eyesore compared to the green hillside that used to be there. The original renderings with the brick, concrete, and glass fascia and PV panels over the top level was much more appealing and keeping with the design aesthetic for the rest of the university.
The building looks like it was designed by a dominatrix who forced Chancellor Christensen to buy the plan as punishment. REALLY not feeling the look of this building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It appears they are putting in a median in the middle of 67th St infront of the garage. Tough to tell exactly what the plan is right now though.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

UNO has this up on their website: https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2017/03/no ... uction.php

It's gonna be a pain for students, because you can only leave going south from PKI and Mammel Hall, and you can only go north from the new garage.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Dr. Gold will take over as chancellor of both Omaha locations, UNO and UNMC.

https://nebraska.edu/news-and-events/ne ... a-campuses
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
frankt wrote:

I grew up in that area. If I lived East of the garage I would be incredibly upset with that garage.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:
frankt wrote:

I grew up in that area. If I lived East of the garage I would be incredibly upset with that garage.

Greg
I don't think the neighbors to the east will even be able to see much of it, since the hill blocks the view for the most part. It will be interesting to see if they paint the haphazard vertical members a different color. It reminds me of the random tree trunks you see in a forest. I don't love it or hate it.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebraska wrote:Dr. Gold will take over as chancellor of both Omaha locations, UNO and UNMC.

Sounds like they either can't afford or don't want to pay for a qualified candidate. I am sure Dr. Gold is a fantastic administrator, but UNMC and UNO are going to have inherently different goals and problems to overcome. Not sure it is in the best interest of either institution to share their leader.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

GetUrban wrote:
Greg S wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:
frankt wrote:

Greg

I don't think the neighbors to the east will even be able to see much of it, since the hill blocks the view for the most part. It will be interesting to see if they paint the haphazard vertical members a different color. It reminds me of the random tree trunks you see in a forest. I don't love it or hate it.
There's actually quite a significant chunk of the north half of the structure that totally blocks any view from the hill behind. You can see through the levels, sure, but mostly you've got that monstrosity in the way. The only bonus is they're not doing those ugly louvers on the backside.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebraska wrote:Dr. Gold will take over as chancellor of both Omaha locations, UNO and UNMC.

Sounds like they either can't afford or don't want to pay for a qualified candidate. I am sure Dr. Gold is a fantastic administrator, but UNMC and UNO are going to have inherently different goals and problems to overcome. Not sure it is in the best interest of either institution to share their leader.
It will facilitate setting up novel pipelines into our professional schools as well as joint ventures like MBAs aimed at physician leaders or trainees that anticipate a career in administrative medicine. Masters in IT to help lead the way to a new generation of EMRs that actually work the way doctor's think. Lots of other areas where the two campii could work together.

Also, as UNMC expands, it will but into UNO. Might as well operate as a single campus.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

It will facilitate setting up novel pipelines into our professional schools as well as joint ventures like MBAs aimed at physician leaders or trainees that anticipate a career in administrative medicine. Masters in IT to help lead the way to a new generation of EMRs that actually work the way doctor's think. Lots of other areas where the two campii could work together.

Also, as UNMC expands, it will but into UNO. Might as well operate as a single campus.
This was almost inevitable. UNO has come of age (thanks to Walter Scott), UNMC has come of age (thanks to Omaha philanthopy). For years I was hoping that something like this would happen. Years back my brother graduated from UNO and easily got into UNMC because of that, there were already preferences... The Nebraska State University system needs to make thus happen...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:UNO has this up on their website: https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2017/03/no ... uction.php

It's gonna be a pain for students, because you can only leave going south from PKI and Mammel Hall, and you can only go north from the new garage.
That's crazy, there are going to be a lot of u-turns happening on that stretch of road.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

This was almost inevitable. UNO has come of age (thanks to Walter Scott), UNMC has come of age (thanks to Omaha philanthopy). For years I was hoping that something like this would happen. Years back my brother graduated from UNO and easily got into UNMC because of that, there were already preferences... The Nebraska State University system needs to make thus happen...
The campuses can work together while still maintaining a leader dedicated to their separate causes and missions. They have multiple avenues of collaboration thanks to Christensen and Gold working together right now.

I am worried about a university of 15,000 students, 12,000 undergrads that come from countless different educational and social backgrounds that have different needs and goals than a well funded nationally recognized Medical School does. They are just different institutions with different challenges that need unique leadership.

This is from Dr. Gold's Bio:
As UNMC’s chief executive officer, Dr. Gold is responsible for all aspects of campus administration, including its annual operating budget of more than $640 million, a staff of about 5,000 and its 3,600 students. Additionally, the clinical enterprise has 6,500 employees and an operating budget of more than $1 billion.
So now we expect him to devote that same rigor and care to another institution with 4 times as many students, another large chunk of employees and its own unique budget issues? How is that beneficial for either institution to have someone stretched thin on responsibilities?

Maybe I am over estimating the amount of work needed to run a university though.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

iamjacobm wrote:So now we expect him to devote that same rigor and care to another institution with 4 times as many students, another large chunk of employees and its own unique budget issues? How is that beneficial for either institution to have someone stretched thin on responsibilities?

Maybe I am over estimating the amount of work needed to run a university though.
Well, let me throw out some early speculation: As Nebraska Medicine continues to consume the UNMC clinical side, perhaps UNMC colleges become a third campus of UNO (main, Scott campus, and hospital)?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

The campuses can work together while still maintaining a leader dedicated to their separate causes and missions. They have multiple avenues of collaboration thanks to Christensen and Gold working together right now.

I am worried about a university of 15,000 students, 12,000 undergrads that come from countless different educational and social backgrounds that have different needs and goals than a well funded nationally recognized Medical School does. They are just different institutions with different challenges that need unique leadership.

This is from Dr. Gold's Bio:
As UNMC’s chief executive officer, Dr. Gold is responsible for all aspects of campus administration, including its annual operating budget of more than $640 million, a staff of about 5,000 and its 3,600 students. Additionally, the clinical enterprise has 6,500 employees and an operating budget of more than $1 billion.
So now we expect him to devote that same rigor and care to another institution with 4 times as many students, another large chunk of employees and its own unique budget issues? How is that beneficial for either institution to have someone stretched thin on responsibilities?

He will need a group of solid and trusted vice Chancellor at both campii. The hope I have is novel premed. In Europe med school total is 6years. Here it's 8+ depending on how long you spent in undergrad. Are US doctor's 2 years better? Or, are they just 2 years older and further in debt?

Premed is immensely stressful, esp if you are on the bubble which means you are not good enough for the rapid decision, but not bad enough to get rejected. The admission decision is too late. By setting up a novel subject and task oriented premed curriculum we could get the kids into undergrad, then judge them by their performance on the tasks and make a clear judgement. Students could see for themselves their performance. Two years in, you have options to go in other directions. Four years in, you really don't.

Having a single administrator would facilitate this kind of development and set UNO apart. Why go 4 years at Creighton, Wesleyan, or UNL/UNK, when you could go 2 at UNO?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tower started coming down on Tuesday:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I saw that crane yesterday. I know I wouldn't want to be those guys up there near the top.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:I saw that crane yesterday. I know I wouldn't want to be those guys up there near the top.
You should see some of the videos Wags has posted of him climbing some towers to fix what was on top.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Check out this video of a guy climbing a 1500 ft tower. I think this is by Sioux Falls.

[youtube][/youtube]
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

UNO plans to build a connector road and parking garage at its Scott Campus
The University of Nebraska at Omaha plans to build a connector road between two parking lots to improve traffic flow on its campus south of Pacific Street.

The two-lane, 75-foot-long road will connect the parking lot north of UNO’s Mammel Hall with a road that serves nearby parking lots owned by First Data and the NU Foundation.

Hunt said he expects construction on the $70,000 connector road to start in mid-June and conclude in early July.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

I figured the university was going to have to put that in anyways, since they bought the south First Data building last year, but it's about time they built something. That's gonna help immensely with the traffic getting out of PKI/Mammel in the afternoons.

Now, if they can get a connector for the north building and parking lot (which I've heard UNO has bought or is in the process of acquiring), that would be even better.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:I figured the university was going to have to put that in anyways, since they bought the south First Data building last year, but it's about time they built something. That's gonna help immensely with the traffic getting out of PKI/Mammel in the afternoons.

Now, if they can get a connector for the north building and parking lot (which I've heard UNO has bought or is in the process of acquiring), that would be even better.
First Data is going to vacate that building too?
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

iamjacobm wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:I figured the university was going to have to put that in anyways, since they bought the south First Data building last year, but it's about time they built something. That's gonna help immensely with the traffic getting out of PKI/Mammel in the afternoons.

First Data is going to vacate that building too?
That is what I've been hearing. I've also been noticing that UNO is now including both First Data buildings on their maps of Scott Campus for event parking and shuttle routes, which they don't do unless they use some or all of the building, like with the Scott Technology Center.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Almost complete:

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Very very nice! :-)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Affirmative Ghostwrider.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Doesn't seem to be a lot of information, but the Strauss Performing Arts Center is getting a pretty large expansion.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I didn’t know it was going to do that.
%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i64.tinypic.com/29lxlk3.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i67.tinypic.com/28vqclv.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Anyway the new parking ramp has LED lights that change from white to red.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Very nice :-) I'm glad they're investing in the performance arts.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New parking garage is looking cool!

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wow I love that!! And great pictures!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Those lights are a massive improvement, though I'm still not a fan of the final design.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ok, I have to admit, I think the lights really add something to this garage. Totally changes the night time feel of the structure.

Although I am not a huge fan of the medians being there, they look nice too with the trees instead of just being concrete like so many other ones in the metro.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Damn I’m glad my pictures didn’t work those are awesome.
15-17, 26, 32