UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I could totally see UNO doing a stadium project like this WHEN it goes D1.

This is on the campus of the University of Cincinnati (almost looks like UNO, doesn't it?)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That totally looks like UNO.  If you look at the new addition on the front of the Hyper building, it looks even more like that!

Nice find Aaron!
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

Still looks like a D2 stadium.  A real D1 stadium is 50,000+ for a real D1 team (a team serious about winning).

I don't think colleges should take sports too seriously if they're not going to take it REAL seriously.  UNO going D1 would be a mistake and waste of money.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i wonder how many games Cincinnati is selling out this year with their recent success?
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Division 1 requires a minimum capacity of 30,000 - I don't know if FB Subdivision has a capacity requirement.
Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium currently holds 35,000.  But they have only had two home games this year and 4 road games.
Fresno State drew 32910, and SE MO drew 30421
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

For comparison, here are the MIAA Stadiums (from D2football.com):

Subject:
Nebraska Omaha-Caniglia Field (9,500)

The Others:

Central Missouri-Walton Stadium (11,000)

Emporia State-Welch Stadium (7,000)

Fort Hayes-Lewis Field (6,500)

Missouri Western-Spratt Stadium (6,000)

Missouri Southern-Fred G. Hughes Stadium (7,000)

Northwest Missouri State-Mel Tjeerdsma Field - Bearcat Stadium (6,500)

Pittsburg State-Carnie Smith Stadium (8,500)

Truman State-Stokes Stadium (4,000)

Washburn-Yager Stadium (7,200(

I would say that UNO compares quite favorably with these stadiums.  To call Cincinnati stadium D2 is simply not accurate.  D1 Subdivision absolutely, but most D2 stadiums seem like spruced up high school fields.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Most FCS stadiums (which I assume would be what UNO would go into ... if they EVER go D1) look no different than D2 stadiums... there is no capacity requirement.  UNO would require no facility upgrade.

By the way... it seems like the Missouri Valley Conference would be the perfect fit for UNO as a D1 team.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:By the way... it seems like the Missouri Valley Conference would be the perfect fit for UNO as a D1 team.
Can you have 2 MVC teams in one school?

I was thinking Big 11 errrrrrrr Big 10.  That would give them 12 teams and they could have a conference Championship Game like the Big 12 and SEC.  The big 10 would also be great because after they wax the huskers in the non conference, the could beat up on Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State!
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Brad wrote:Can you have 2 MVC teams in one school?
uh...what?
I was thinking Big 11 errrrrrrr Big 10.
Thanks for that. I needed a laugh.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

MrPoloShirt wrote:UNO going D1 would be a mistake and waste of money.
Most D1 stadiums are not 50,000. 1-A (or FBS or whatever idiotic acronym they came up with), sure. 1-AA, not even close.

And the issue is that D2 has been dying a slow death for the better part of a 20-30 years. It's turning more and more into "D3 with (minimal) scholarships", rather than a a true middle ground between D1 and D3.

There are two tiers of schools in D2 now, those who fully fund and those who don't. UNO's part of the former, but the latter are getting more power as more and more North Dakota's of the world move up to D1.

It's not so much whether UNO should move up, but whether they'll be forced to when D2 hits a reckoning point (like the NCC did).
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

This afternoon, before visiting my friends at UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute (PKI),
in the drizzle weather, I took a walk around the new CBA building - Mammel Hall

View from PKI parking lot

Looking south thru Mammel Hall Atrium’s north glass wall. The glass wall not yet installed

View of Mammel Hall north wing from access 67th street  

View of Mammel Hall about block east on Pine street, west of Scott hall.

South side from 67th & Pine

Compare this rending with the above photo. They are similar but different

Looking North thru Mammel Hall Atrium’s south glass wall. The glass wall not yet installed.
For some odd reason the camera could not focus this shot.

View of the West wing from across Pine Street.

This is the view of Mammel Hall and the steel frame of the new Blue Cross & Shield building from the PKI's third floor southeast corner window.

---------------------------

OmahaJaysCU,  For some odd reason, I con't see aerial photos of  MIAA Stadiums in you post above.
Last edited by SaOmaha on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the Update Steve!
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

mammel hall is almost completely enclosed now along with the HPER building on main campus. someone should get some pics they both look good!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More housing at UNO proposed

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100122/NEWS01/701229921
Leslie Reed WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:LINCOLN — The NU Board of Regents will be asked today to approve the construction of more student housing at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

The Suzanne and Walter Scott Foundation proposes building a $23 million project on UNO's South Campus near Pacific Street. The apartment buildings would be leased to UNO, which would use a portion of student housing payments to repay the construction costs.

The four three-story buildings, to be completed by August 2011, would house 480 students.

The design would resemble the existing Maverick Village on UNO's Dodge Street campus and Scott Village on the Pacific Street campus.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:More housing at UNO proposed

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100122/NEWS01/701229921
Leslie Reed WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:LINCOLN — The NU Board of Regents will be asked today to approve the construction of more student housing at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

The Suzanne and Walter Scott Foundation proposes building a $23 million project on UNO's South Campus near Pacific Street. The apartment buildings would be leased to UNO, which would use a portion of student housing payments to repay the construction costs.

The four three-story buildings, to be completed by August 2011, would house 480 students.

The design would resemble the existing Maverick Village on UNO's Dodge Street campus and Scott Village on the Pacific Street campus.
I really wish they would use a new design.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

these building must be much bigger than the current ones if they are going to house the same number of students as the entire scott village.  SV is spread out over 10 buildings and this project is only calling for 4.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Nice! I'm happy they are putting more housing on campus! Where do you think this will go? I thought I saw on one article that it would be just south of main campus but there is the golf course right there and the article posted here said on the pacific campus... Maybe it will go in that big open space between the hotel and the existing dorms on the pacific campus? It also looks like Mammel Hall and HPER are completely enclosed now! They both look great!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Regents OK UNO housing
OWH wrote:The NU Board of Regents voted unanimously Friday to approve the construction of a new student housing complex at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. The $23.36 million complex would feature apartment-style units, each with living room, kitchen, two bathrooms and four private bedrooms. It would house 480 students in four buildings, each containing 120 units.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's too bad they have to continue to build these suburban style apartment buildings... in fact, they could probably improve on their use of space by studying some west Omaha complexes.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

An extra 480 people living next to Aksarben Village will have to be a huge shot in the arm to the area!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The new Hyper addition is looking great.  The Mammel Hall is really coming along.  More housing is going to add to the momentum that is already building.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New UNO building a springboard

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100304/M ... pringboard
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A new building can be the springboard to new community partnerships and a first-rate innovation, entrepreneurship and franchising program, according to the dean of the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s College of Business.

Louis Pol spoke Thursday to the members of Suburban Rotary Club about the college’s new Mammel Hall and the opportunities it will bring to the business college.

The $34 million building, which the college will move into by August, is a “wonderful gift to our university,” Pol said. “So we have an incredible opportunity at hand and are moving forward.”
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Yesterday, take time out from my friends at UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute (PKI) and took these photos of the University of Nebraska new CBA building - Mammel Hall.

...From PKI's third floor southwest corner window

... View from the parking lot Southwest of PKI. The new Blue Cross Blue Shield building is on the right.

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Thanks for the photos SaOmaha.  They have the Mammel Hall sign up on the east end of the building now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UNO is really making strides.  I can see south campus being a main draw for a lot of future students going there instead of UNL.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

iamjacobm wrote:UNO is really making strides.  I can see south campus being a main draw for a lot of future students going there instead of UNL.
Even more so if they build a new athletic complex over at Chili Greens.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 7/21/2010

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Hyper Entrance
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

They've really turned a sow's ear into a silk purse with this HPER renovation and expansion. Walking past it to get to Shakespeare on the Green a few weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were very impressed. We wished this had been completed while we were still undergrads at UNO.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Brad wrote:New Hyper Entrance
Looks like a miniature Qwest Center Omaha.  That photo doesn't show it, but there is some parking under the west part of the building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 8/14/2010
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Building ready to inspire students

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100823/N ... e-students
By Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Mammel Hall, the university's new business administration building, is shocking UNO students and professors who walk into the gleaming, $27 million building for the first time.

The 120,000-square-foot building, just south of the Peter Kiewit Institute, will be officially open for business when UNO's fall semester begins Monday.
By Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The bells and whistles are already on display at Mammel Hall. The building, near 67th and Pine Streets, boasts a soaring, glass-and-tile atrium where students can look at a Jun Kaneko sculpture, eat at a cafe serving food from Wohlner's Grocery and use a touch-screen interactive map to find their classrooms.

The building's auditorium seats nearly 200, while each of its 21 classrooms can accommodate between 40 and 60 students.

Mammel Hall's four laboratories feature digital tickers that track the stock market, computer screens that retract into desks at the push of a button, and giant flat-screen TVs meant to project images from a laptop so the whole class can view them.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Those are great pictures! Mammel Hall is awesome! I believe HPER is completely finished now and they are making a lot of progress on the old business building and new dorms on south campus... I also saw somewhere that they are planning to build a new building on the parking lot between the library and music building
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

JPenny wrote:I also saw somewhere that they are planning to build a new building on the parking lot between the library and music building
That would be AWESOME. There are definitely some "blanks" along the central axis of UNO and that would really help fill in the puzzle.

If you have any way of getting details, I'd be really interested!
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

JPenny wrote:I believe HPER is completely finished now
It is and the interior is nice. I remember visiting HPER two years ago and thinking "this is a really dark and cramped warehouse". Now, it's a lot more open and aesthetically appealing.

Not sure how I feel about a possible development between the library and music building. Seems like parking is already heck as it is.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Have any photos been released showing the finished interiors of HPER and Mammel Hall?
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

I took a few of the interior of HPER only, although I'm not sure if any other sources have any interior pictures. Sorry if they aren't the highest quality, folks - you have to get by on what you have. 8)

The MavCafe, which is on the immediate right upon entering.

The Outdoor Venture Centre display.

The rock climbing wall, which is more "open" and doesn't make you feel claustrophobic. You see the railing on the top-left? That railing surrounds an indoor jogging track.

Various machines, though not all. All the treadmills face the windows so runners can get a view of frustrated commuters down below.

A view of the rock climbing wall from the second-floor track.

Okay, so it's not an interior, but it merits some attention. If you recall a few years ago, there was a large parking lot where the renovated building now resides. Part of the parking lot remains and has a "parking garage" feel to it.

Overall, aside from the multiple red and gray colours, the biggest perk of the renovations is the usage of more windows and keeping the interior as open as possible.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thank you!
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

JPenny wrote: I also saw somewhere that they are planning to build a new building on the parking lot between the library and music building

That would be AWESOME. There are definitely some "blanks" along the central axis of UNO and that would really help fill in the puzzle.

If you have any way of getting details, I'd be really interested!

I saw it in an article a couple weeks ago. i think it was an article about the university of Nebraska fund or whatever that is...  I think it was suppose to be a "community outreach center" or something to that extent.  And I agree that this would make parking even more of an issue than it already is but from what i have heard they are planning on building at least 1 more parking garage if not 2 on main campus eventually!