UNO Campus Update

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

UNO Campus Update

Post by Coyote »

Didn't see this posted: Chancellor Nancy Belck is going to take this proposal to the Board of Regents:

Doubling of housing at UNO?
Omaha World Herald wrote:She said the first phase would be a 400-bed expansion at University Village on the main campus. That would be followed by additional dormitories on the Ak-Sar-Ben campus, and the third phase is planned for property south of Center Street that the university intends to purchase.
Omaha World Herald wrote:She said UNO enrolled 1,900 first-time freshmen this year, the largest freshman class in the school's history and an 8 percent increase from 2004. Enrollment of black students was up 14 percent, and Hispanic enrollment rose by 16 percent.
Nice to see a bit a diversity!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

yeah i heard about this a month ago or so, a couple more buildings up on main campus. They are also building a parking structure on the north side of the library, as well as expanding the library itself. Also, they have proposed building a parking structure to the south of the library. Its great that these things are getting done, but UNO still isnt getting the amount of money it should be getting. I am not trying to spark any kind of arguement or be negative towards lincoln, but they did have a significant student decrease, while UNO had just the opposite, and I am sure the trend will continue, but there is still not a difference in the amount of funding...ridiculous...
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

omahastylee459 wrote:yeah i heard about this a month ago or so, a couple more buildings up on main campus. They are also building a parking structure on the north side of the library, as well as expanding the library itself. Also, they have proposed building a parking structure to the south of the library. Its great that these things are getting done, but UNO still isnt getting the amount of money it should be getting. I am not trying to spark any kind of arguement or be negative towards lincoln, but they did have a significant student decrease, while UNO had just the opposite, and I am sure the trend will continue, but there is still not a difference in the amount of funding...ridiculous...
What irritates me more is money that UNK gets...what function are they serving that couldn't be served as KEARNEY STATE?

Where are they going to fit a parking garage north of the library? I thought that was all going to be part of the expansion?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Where are they going to fit a parking garage north of the library? I thought that was all going to be part of the expansion?
From what I understand, the construction that they are doing just north of the library will be new parking, could be wrong but im pretty sure the guy who told me knew what he was talking about. Apparently, the expansion of the library will be named after the guy who invented rogaine as well. Anyone have a confirmation on this??
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I thought that too, UNMCstudent.

I'm very happy to see the university adding more housing, especially up on the main campus.

I only hope it's not in the same suburban apartment style that the rest of University Village is done in. Gross.

Let's see some density and some good design.

And, who the heck is going to want to live in university housing SOUTH OF CENTER STREET!!!

The shuttle bus service between South Campus and North Campus is already horribly inadequate.

As I've said, I can't see ANY reason for the university to expand further south while there are still surface parking lots on the main campus!!!

And of course I agree about the funding issue.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Nah, lets hope for more suburban style dorms, they are way nicer than multi-level dorms, and more of a draw for students.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I disagree, Linkin. That may be the status quo locally, but a fusion of the two can be a very successful venture. I hate to say it this way but I remember, sadly enough, an episode of Saved By the Bell (after they all go to college) and their dorm room was a central kitchen/study area/living room and then a bedroom at opposite ends. So you take the standard dorm room design: room after room after room, and modify it so there's: /bedroom living bedroom/bedroom living bedroom/etc...Combine that with a little decor and decent thought to interior layout and asthetics and you have a highrise dorm with some very nice amenities. Now, forget about saved by the bell and go on with your business, nothing to see here!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:Nah, lets hope for more suburban style dorms, they are way nicer than multi-level dorms, and more of a draw for students.
Is that sarcasm? :)

And great point, almighty_tuna.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I can't believe Tuna admitted to watching Saved By The Bell! :lol:
skinzfan23
City Council

UNO Campus Update

Post by skinzfan23 »

I read an article in "The Gateway", UNO's school paper today that the Board of Regents first phase of housing was passed.  This phase includes a residential expansion plan, including the addition of a 400-bed dorm and a new parking structure to the North Campus by 2007.  The total three-phase plan introruced by Chancellor Nancy Belck includes the new dorms on the North campus, along with structures built on the south campus totaling another 800 beds.  The university is also looking at purchasing property along Center Street to expand campus life.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Re: UNO To Get New Dorms To North Campus By 2007

Post by omahapropertymanager »

skinzfan23 wrote:I read an article in "The Gateway", UNO's school paper today that the Board of Regents first phase of housing was passed. This phase includes a residential expansion plan, including the addition of a 400-bed dorm and a new parking structure to the North Campus by 2007. The total three-phase plan introruced by Chancellor Nancy Belck includes the new dorms on the North campus, along with structures built on the south campus totaling another 800 beds. The university is also looking at purchasing property along Center Street to expand campus life.
Any idea where the dorms would go on North Campus? I can't think of where they would fit...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh, there's PLEEEEEEENTY of room. I would imagine they'll be on the west end of the main campus where they have TONS of parking lots. And I hope the new parking structure is substantial and doesn't just replace the parking that is taken by the new dorms, but actually ADDS space.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Didn't we have a topic on this earlier? I remembering seeing a plan that had everything on it that was proposed. I'll try finding the graphic.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I also heard (not necessarily from a reliable source) that UNO had plans to possibly tear down kaiser hall and build dorms there, and rebuild a new building on south campus for the classrooms lost because of demolition. And yes, there is plenty of room on campus for new dorms, the sprawling parking lots take up way too much room.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I just hope that the new dorms are developed on the parking lots without removing the historic homes that still occupy portions of the west end of campus! These old homes were once part of the neighborhood and now house program/faculty offices. There are some beautiful old homes that were spared when UNO last expanded to the west, let's not destroy them now!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Board of Regents January agenda:

University of Nebraska at Omaha

7. Approve additional student housing at UNO, authorize issuance of a request for proposals for a private developer(s) and authorize the President to negotiate and approve a ground lease with the successful respondent to provide up to 400 additional beds in consultation with the Board Chair. Addendum X-B-7 APPROVED
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Also from the Board:

here is the link:

http://www.nebraska.edu/board/Agenda-1-06.pdf

It is proposed that the next phase of housing be on the north campus in
an area adjacent to University Village, which is privatized student
housing. A fall 2007 opening is anticipated. The following elements are
expected to be part of the ground lease agreement.
a) A totally privatized transaction with no financial obligation by the
University. The successful respondent will finance, construct, own
the leasehold interest in, and manage the project in a manner
whereby the University will have no financial obligation on the debt
or for the operations, maintenance, repairs or capital replacement of
the project.
b) Proposed monthly room rents in the “affordable” range for UNO
students.
c) Potential net cash flow to the University.
d) Very desirable room/unit layout.
e) Experienced residence life and property management personnel.
f) Strong emphasis on facilities maintenance, including landscaping,
sprinklers, etc.
g) A lease period commensurate with the functional life of the project.
This item, if approved, will allow UNO to move forward with a request
for proposals relating to the project. The request for proposal will seek a
third-party developer(s) who would provide construction, financing, and
operate the project. This could be performed by a single respondent or a
combination of construction firms, entities with expertise in student
housing, finance organizations, and others.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I wonder if it’s too late to add a streetcar terminal in the plan….
15-17, 26, 32
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

I was a student at UNO when they built the first set of dorms. They already had a serious parking shortage, and they eliminated a couple parking lots to make room for the new dorms. I'm sure that they will do the same thing again, and even with a new parking garage, they will AGAIN reduce the net parking spaces available for students.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

as a student that is going to UNO next year.

all I have to say is "THANK YOU!"

However, I chose UNO as my university mainly because it had that indepedent feel, it felt like everyone was doing their own thing and I liked that.

Housing will be great and now they as my guide Jason said "we at UNO cannot house more than 10% of our student population" hopefully, by the time i graduate that will change.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ModestMouse wrote:"we at UNO cannot house more than 10% of our student population"
Is that a matter of capacity or a matter of UNL policy?
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

That makes it sound like more University Village style housing. Space is very much a premium for a landlocked University - so why are they wasting it on low-density, apartment style dorms?
skinzfan23 wrote:Also from the Board:

here is the link:

http://www.nebraska.edu/board/Agenda-1-06.pdf

It is proposed that the next phase of housing be on the north campus in
an area adjacent to University Village, which is privatized student
housing. A fall 2007 opening is anticipated. The following elements are
expected to be part of the ground lease agreement.
a) A totally privatized transaction with no financial obligation by the
University. The successful respondent will finance, construct, own
the leasehold interest in, and manage the project in a manner
whereby the University will have no financial obligation on the debt
or for the operations, maintenance, repairs or capital replacement of
the project.
b) Proposed monthly room rents in the “affordable” range for UNO
students.
c) Potential net cash flow to the University.
d) Very desirable room/unit layout.
e) Experienced residence life and property management personnel.
f) Strong emphasis on facilities maintenance, including landscaping,
sprinklers, etc.
g) A lease period commensurate with the functional life of the project.
This item, if approved, will allow UNO to move forward with a request
for proposals relating to the project. The request for proposal will seek a
third-party developer(s) who would provide construction, financing, and
operate the project. This could be performed by a single respondent or a
combination of construction firms, entities with expertise in student
housing, finance organizations, and others.
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

"Other regents followed suit at the Board of Regents meeting on Friday, with all but University of Kearney President/Regent Brad Bohn voting for the measure."

(Full Gateway Article)
I do think it's funny that the only regent voting against the expansion, for concerns of affecting enrollment at other campuses, is from what was not that long ago Kearney State College. Apparently he has no problems with new dorms for Kearney State, however. (Old giving way to new at UNK)
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

It is a matter of capacity.

UNO could proubably get a crapload more students if it had better housing for it's freshmen.

If say they can get 90% of all freshmen housing.

That means that you don't havce to worry about your housing.

UNO is divided by the park...if we could buy that land...we could totally expand!

In my personal opinion, if UNO keeps expanding, it will probably be on par with lincoln.

Or it'll be like UW-Milwakuee comparied to UW-Madison, both will play in division one...etc...with madison being the big money school, but milwakuee still having it's fair share of students

What I'd love to see is UNO become a big residental campus. It might start doing that, I mean, once it does...watch out I say, cause it give sthe convicence of an enclosed campus in a big city, that's just a combination that will appeal to alot of people.
Last edited by ModestMouse on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Elmwood park is a huge part of the appeal of UNO.

They should buy those houses along the north side of Dodge St. from 67th to 69th.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

I agree...i kinda wish the park wasn't so big though.

C'mon, a mile through the park to get to south campus!?

However, I do think if we did buy those houses it'd be nice

My current problem is finding a place to live.

I want to live off campus...so I'll probably rent a house.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

if you want to live off campus, check the aksarben neighborhood just to the east of south campus, there are lots of houses for sale and for rent.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Is there transit of some kind that will take you from north campus to south campus?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

yeah they have shuttle buses, but they are only consistant during the busy times of the day, if you have a class late in the day/night there is usually only a couple running.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Yeah,

Probably will end up driving to class.

or I hope I can live close enough that I can ride my bike.

That's probably the ONLY complaint I have against UNO is that since it just starting to become a residental campus, you can't walk to class that easily.

But I don't really mind, UNO is pretty sweet anyway.

Rather go to UNO than UNL.
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

ModestMouse wrote:Yeah,

Probably will end up driving to class.

or I hope I can live close enough that I can ride my bike.

That's probably the ONLY complaint I have against UNO is that since it just starting to become a residental campus, you can't walk to class that easily.

But I don't really mind, UNO is pretty sweet anyway.

Rather go to UNO than UNL.
If you plan on driving, depending on your class schedule, you should get a garage pass. It shouldn't be that much more, and other than tuesday/thursday at 8:30 am there is ample parking.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I used to park in the crossroads parking lot and walk. It's about a ten to 15 minute walk, depending on what building you are going to. Free parking all year round, and excercise.
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

Swift wrote:I used to park in the crossroads parking lot and walk. It's about a ten to 15 minute walk, depending on what building you are going to. Free parking all year round, and excercise.
That's all fine and good except for January (a normal january) when it's 15 below, winds out of the north at 30mph, and snowing. I couldn't stand having to walk from A&S to Durham in that...I couldn't imagine having to walk from crossroads to A&S at 7:30 am w/ all that.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Take a man pill! :P
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

UNMCStudent wrote:That's all fine and good except for January (a normal january) when it's 15 below, winds out of the north at 30mph, and snowing. I couldn't stand having to walk from A&S to Durham in that...I couldn't imagine having to walk from crossroads to A&S at 7:30 am w/ all that.
Sounds a lot like having to walk from HSS to most of my classes at UNL.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I used to go from UNO to 49th (home) everyday and the only time I had problems traveling to-and-fro was when there was at least 9” or so of snow and it was waist deep or deeper. It really is no fun trying to get through drifts and frozen snow banks just inches from Dodge St.
15-17, 26, 32
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Yeah.

Probably wouldn't be too bad, I mean, a half mile or so walk wouldn't kill me to class.

If you ever see two scruffy looking dudes walking towards 62nd and both are wearing hoddies and ones asian with a bob marley hoodie.

That's me.

Pick us up and give us a ride damnit! =P
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Hmmm Bob Marley…. Mouse music, you’re my kind of guy.
15-17, 26, 32
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Why thank you pki

UNO has the potential to be a university of Minneosta esque proportions.

I mean, it may take 10-20 years, but as the METROPOLITAN university, not the small-town, oh gorsh, we have to drive 2 hours to have some decent things to do. (ala, iowa city.)

UNO could proroibably get around 20,000-25,000 undergrad students if we had more housing. The housing is the biggest hurdle...maybe a bit better facilities, but that'll come.

During my visit to UNO...the rooms kinda reminded me of my old highschool.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't know about Minnesota (doesn't it have something like 70k students??). UNOmaha could definitely be as big if not bigger than UNLincoln.